Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses: Dogs and Roses

Communities > Forums > Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses
bookmark
Forum: Article: How To Kill Over-winter RosesReplies: 5, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #7341005

I have the finicky HT roses, but the low maintenance rogusas, species, and hardy climbers help keep me optimistic. My biggest problem with the HTs is my grand-dog "watering" them. It took me a while to figure out what was killing my HT roses. I now have a boulder and bird bath in the rosebed that Kai prefers spraying. I also laid down chicken wire on the ground, so that the dogs can't dig up the roses; after learning that the bone meal was causing this behavior. The dogs eating the rosebuds prompted me to incircle the roses in cages. I never thought that having dogs and roses would be such a challenge! See post with photo of the culprit, a redbone named Rose, caught "red pawed". Rose has since moved to a farm that had a raccoon problem. The black/white pointer named Kai is the sprayer. Kai (poor baby!) now has developed diabetes and cataracts, so his aim isn't as good. I now have deflectors to keep him from running into the roses. The foxhound named Daisy is the bone meal digger; not pictured -- photos can be found on the Landscaping with Dogs II thread. Daisy is a scent hound and goes wherever her nose leads her.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3934786

Sheri, I always enjoy your articles and look forward to reading more. Thank you! Betty "greenbrain"
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 6, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #7341077

Sheri: Such an enjoyable article, but so true! I, too, have been lured by the siren song of the rose, thanks to the wonderful rosarians here on DG and their lovely photos of roses, so I am now owned by several David Austin roses and quite a few others, including some HT's that DH decided he had to have. Guess who takes care of them? And I have the scratches to prove it!

Angie
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7345249

Hemophobic does that mean you are afraid of blood?
opposite of a vampire?

You are in a higher zone than we are in the northern midwest.
Here, my doors blow off the hinges and we are expecting a
blizzard on Wednesday. Trying to get ready for that. Moving
the pigs today to the big barn and putting more straw down
for the chickens in the chicken house and heated water in
horse, and chickens stalls. If its really bad, we put a rope
from the laundry line hanging down so we can feel our way
over to the barn.

I can't even look at Zuzu roses, they are too fabulous and
too farfetched for me to even covet. God will punish me if
I look at them. So, I don't. I look at alpine plants and growing
corn and wheat. PS our corn even has to be anti-lodgey meaning
it won't fall over in the first big winds. LOL.

You know something, even with all this rediculousness, I still
try to grow roses. My Austin Eglyntine died after one year.
Nice to meet you Angie!
Sheri
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 7, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #7345814

Sheri: I do not do blood! Can't stand the sight of it.

Man, it sounds like y'all really have to batten down the hatches for winter there. I'm glad not to have to deal with that. I'm too old, for one thing, and too lazy for another, although I do like to see at least one decent snowfall each winter, something we rarely get.

Well, I planted Eglantyne this spring and I hope she makes it and blooms beautifully for me. One of my best roses is Molineux. It bloomed all summer and was just stunning from the kitchen window. I did a very good job placing it so I could see it from there.

Yes; Zuzu is primarily responsible for my rose mania and I miss her terribly. I loved looking at all her gorgeous roses on the rose parade.

Take care and stay warm!
Angie
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7349734

Hi Ang
Zuzu lived in NC? What is the rose parade? I thought the rose parade was the
parade of roses out in California for the Rose bowl football game.

I think I know Molineux. There are so many lucious roses, that I cannot
plant due to my harsh climate. In a few years, our windbrake will be grown
up to about 4-5 feet and that will help with the rose gardens very much.

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 8, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #7349876

No, no. Zuzu lives in CA and posted pics of her roses which constituted our own private rose parade here on DG. She's my inspiration for roses. Sorry for the confusion.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good for a laugh! HoosierGreen 2 Dec 7, 2009 6:35 AM
Do or Die joannabanana 3 Dec 10, 2009 4:31 PM
Make Those Roses Toughen Up cathylovesroses 4 Dec 10, 2009 4:27 PM
Rose love babybella 1 Dec 7, 2009 4:12 PM
Spiny rose creeper for burglars franznel2000 2 Dec 7, 2009 6:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America