Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

lets talk about wild strawberries

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

i have all kinds of ''invasives'' actually it isnt the correct term unless it has been introduced, any way im not scared off by a plants vigor and nothing on my property is as vigorous as wild strawberries. i sort of pulled some out lazily. i really just tore the tops off and the runners. it has made a pretty mat and it fruits and flowers, so im debating leaving it and just taking it out when it encroaches to much on another plant. has any one used it for ground cover. and will it compete to much with my roses. they seem to be doing fine with it so far and my attempt to remove it was half hearted. so can i give in. at least it has kept the crabgrass out. oh and are they really edible. mom always told me dont eat them .. she just didnt want me to eat any berry i saw ..

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I believe what you are referring to is an Indian Strawberry:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2018/

It is not a true strawberry and a real problem weed for me.

X

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

yep thats it , and it has been a problem only until i decided to quit fighting it, except where it crouds out other plants. i was wondering if any one has given up the fight and liked the results.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.