Monitor keeps going to sleep....

North Augusta, ON

at odd times, right in the middle of anything I might be doing...bang...any ideas?

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Control Panel ---> Power Options

Under:
Settings for Home/Office Desk power scheme

Turn off monitor: Never

HTH

North Augusta, ON

hmmm...just checked and it's already set to never.
Do we have a plan "B"?

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Check the connections to make sure it's plugged in tight?

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

What is it that you're having to do, to restore your monitor, when it "goes to sleep"?

North Augusta, ON

I don't have to do anything, it comes back itself...fires up just like when I turn it on in the mornings.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

How long do you leave it, before it shuts off?

North Augusta, ON

what do you mean? I have it set to go to sleep if I'm idle for more than an hour...but it's been shutting off whenever it feels like it.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

3G...

Is the computer shutting off, or just the monitor goes black? You're using terms that mean different things.

North Augusta, ON

The monitor goes black...and says it's going to sleep. It's words, not mine ^_^

That computer tech that was here has me freaked out and panicking at every little thing now...when he replaced the switch power supply he had an awful time getting the monitor to work, had to reset a whole bunch of things then told me I was very lucky that it worked. He really wants to sell me a rebuilt dell (ack) for $250...

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Edited because the additional information made my response immaterial.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2009 5:40 PM

North Augusta, ON

LOL! I just came back to mention that it's only 4 years old. I read your post and then got side-tracked...

edited to add that the comp. tech in question was here last week.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2009 9:42 PM

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

OK. Even though you have it set to go to sleep, "never", try and reset it to 5 minutes, and see if that does it. That would be 5 minutes when you are not using it. It may be something that simple, or...if you have a loose connection, well, I cannot help you then. Maybe you do have a loose connection...

North Augusta, ON

I pried off the cat that sleeps back there and checked all of the connections and they're fine.

North Augusta, ON

ya, I know...as soon as I typed that last reply I knew I'd discovered the culprit. I appreciate you all not pointing fingers at me, laughing and saying "duh".
^_^

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Culprit = cat laying on the wires?

North Augusta, ON

yup...

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Mine was a mini dauchhund that loved the heat of the tower. I heard him growling in his sleep one time and when I looked down to find where he was, I "fixed" my problems! I ended up getting him a heating pad of his very own for his under-my-desk-bed ^_^

North Augusta, ON

hehehe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.