Photo by Melody

Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses: Good for a laugh!

Communities > Forums > Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses
bookmark
Forum: Article: How To Kill Over-winter RosesReplies: 2, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

December 6, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7341907

I sympathize with you, for sure!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #7343104

Sheri, I thought this was just going to be funny but I learned a lot! Thanks!
Beverlyiris
Adelaide
Australia

December 7, 2009
6:35 AM

Post #7343905

Thank you for a good laugh and I am impressed by your tenacity. It must be human nature to want to grow the things that we rarely see around us. You have made me feel much better about all of the things that I cannot grow here in South Australia. Adelaide, South Australia calls itself the rose capital because roses grow so well here. The general consensus is that you can't kill 'em with an axe! The photos you have seen may have been taken here but even so I nearly lost some of mine last year in a 14 day heatwave of over 95F ending in a 110F day. The roses growing near a metal fence cooked all through their thick branches and are now trying to reshoot from ground level. As you can imagine many of the lovely lush things that you can grow in Summer would have no hope here unless they are in shadehouses with microsprays (currently banned because of water restrictions).
I have visited the US several times and am amazed at Hibiscus and other shrubs that we grow for 20 or 30 years, being described as annual shrubs.
Glory in your tulips, trout lilies, liliums and fuchsias, which we find just as difficult to grow as you do roses.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogs and Roses greenbrain 5 Dec 8, 2009 11:10 PM
Do or Die joannabanana 3 Dec 10, 2009 4:31 PM
Make Those Roses Toughen Up cathylovesroses 4 Dec 10, 2009 4:27 PM
Rose love babybella 1 Dec 7, 2009 4:12 PM
Spiny rose creeper for burglars franznel2000 2 Dec 7, 2009 6:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America