Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cannas: Overwintering in Ground

Communities > Forums > Cannas
bookmark
Forum: CannasReplies: 19, Views: 192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
aardvark7
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7343350

First year to grow canna indica. I loved them up against the South brick wall and apparently they liked it there too. From one rhizome in a pot that someone gave me at RU, I ended up with a 4x4' space crowded with ~15-20 stalks! Unreal! Anyway, it snowed lighly a couple of days ago (gone by late afternoon) and the foliage was mostly brown today. So I cut each stalk down to ~2 inches from the ground. Is that what I was supposed to do here in 7b-8a to overwinter them in ground? I sure hope so but could use some reassurance. Otherwise, I have collected seed all summer so I guess I can always start a new patch if I messed this one up. Advice appreciated for overwintering in my zone. :-) --- Also can I begin transplanting these in Spring as soon as I see some top growth? Thanks! Stacey
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 7, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7344342

Stacey, it's probably a good idea to cover them in a couple of inches of mulch. Something like a shredded bark works as a good insulation and as to the transplant, your idea is the way I do it and it seems to be fine.

There are other people on here that have much more experience with Canna than I, but they seem to be pretty resilient plants in zones where the ground doesn't freeze. My mom is in 8a and that's how she deals with them.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #7345150

i just cut mine down and leave them. they survive very well

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #7367187

I just leave my canna's in the ground too...just some mulch over them, if I remember...
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7367699

Not me i have to dig them up and store them in my basement. I wish i could leave them outside, as it took me 18 hours to get them dug out, cleaned off, labeled and stored... But i love cannas so its worth it to me...
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 14, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7367772

Those of us in the warmer zones do have it good in that regard. I admire all you 'lower' zone gardeners that work that hard to have blooms. I'm not sure I'm that dedicated.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7367959

well I had 4 different cannas last year and about 10 seeds mixed I planted in a seed starter garden.. this Year I have 12 different cannas and 8 different type of seeds (at least 6 of each so 48+ seeds to plant) So this year to dig up will be quite a chore... Plus by then I'll have a one month old lol guess hubby will really have to help this year.. if i had to choose between warmer and cooler climate i would rather warmer for sure.. But i just love tropicals.. However on the up side i only have grasshoppers to worry about getting my cannas..

jen...
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #7369991

For me the most important thing for overwintering cannas is the soil has to drain well. That is the only thing I have to think about. The mulch isn`t necessary in my garden especially if will draw or collect too much moisture.

Karen
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7458998

Indica certainly must have a will to live. DesertPirate, you're the person who ID'd mine as this was my first year growing cannas, never realized there are so many different ones. I started with 12 rhizomes gifted by a neighbor and any one of them produced at least 20 bulblets. And seeds, I must have a pint jar full. Based on my neighbor's experience and advice from the forums, I just chopped down the leaves after first frost and covered the plants with about 3" of coarse bark mulch. We're pretty close zone-wise Stacey.

Congrats, Jen, on your new arrival.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2010
2:07 AM

Post #7459914

thanks I'm hoping once morning sickness is over with i'll be a bit more excited lol.. really looking forward to gardening with a huge belly.. Lets see what i can get done..
jen
aardvark7
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7466895

Thanks for all the info everyone. I had a big pile of leaves from fall that I threw on top of that area, so hopefully that blanket will help insulate. Gardening while pregnant? That might be interesting; just be very careful with your back which will already have some strain due to the increased package in front. LOL. Congratulations and best wishes! Stacey (mother of 4, last batch were boy/girl twins!)
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7467193

well really hubby will be doing all the work, my part will be to water and take pictures lol thanks
jen
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7491977

Stacey,
My advice is "Don't Panic." I grew canna Wyoming along a south facing wall in NJ, zone 6b. Some years the temperature would get to 10F and stay below freezing for a week at a time. But every year for five or six years the canna came back better than ever. It's not a practice I'd recommend, though, because cannas grown in other parts of the garden usually didn't make it.

As Desert Pirate suggests, mulch probably won't hurt, either.

I'd bet they will be fine. I'd also guess that it might be good to divide them a little before they begin to show top growth (not sure how you would know unless you kept records..). I assume they start pushing out roots before they set new foliage.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

February 5, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7532358

Just noticed new sprouts on mine this morning.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7532372

Oh nice... thats my favorite thing in the spring.. When I get my rhizomes planted and they start to shoot up.. I get so excited for whats to come... Jen
aardvark7
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7538208

oh yes - that is probably the most exciting gardening time for me as well. Those first sprouts after a long winter are the reminder that the cold is ending and soon everything will be coming back to 'life' in the garden! Anticipation heightened! ;-) SMSK

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7538261

need to check mine if they haven't drowned!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7538846

I wont be able to gt mine planted till the end of may. We have frost till about then... I however might pot a few up in april to give them a head start and well keep me going lol..
jen
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 8, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7541524

Nice thing about Cannas jordankittyjo is that you don't have to worry about them drowning. I had them IN my pond, they love the water.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7542172

thaanks, that makes me feel better, because my yard is like a swamp right now

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cannas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Canna You Help? scooterbug 5 Sep 2, 2008 5:48 PM
Tropicanna Canna is sick Kell 49 May 2, 2012 9:10 PM
Resources thread - your feedback, please Terry 9 Jun 1, 2013 10:58 AM
the way i do my canna seeds phicks 14 May 22, 2007 11:09 PM
The ugly cannas bwilliams 60 Nov 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America