Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses: Make Those Roses Toughen Up

Communities > Forums > Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses
bookmark
Forum: Article: How To Kill Over-winter RosesReplies: 4, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathylovesroses
Littleton, CO

December 7, 2009
6:26 AM

Post #7343890

I got a real kick out of your article. I started growing roses in 1995 and spent 3 years doing all the things you describe. Just the thought of all those rose collars and all that finickyness makes me shudder.

What I learned over time is that there are finicky roses and easy to grow roses. I'm in Zone 5, 5500 feet altitude,and there are over a hundred roses outside in my yard covered with snow, and not one has winter protection. I grow antique ramblers and antique shrubs,flouribundas, found roses which have survived for many years without care (order from Antique Rose Emporium), as many David Austin English Roses as there is room for (usually takes 3 years to flourish), and a very few select hybrid teas that have lasted for years - Mr. Lincoln, Pink Peace,and the like. I am going to try the Griffin Buck cold hardy and disease resistant roses - they really look pretty.

I have to admit, I stopped buying roses at the Big Box stores and most nurseries. . I won't buy a rose at a nursery unless it has at least 5 canes

For me, there is no bigger joy than to dig a bush up and throw it in the trash if it acts finicky. I laugh loudly at it lying there looking pathetic.

I've spot sprayed a little here and there, but have not applied an overall spray for at least 5 years.

My goal is to make a rose bush grow as strong and prune the canes so they grow thick and tough. I feed organics from a local feed store. I am one of those folks who think if a little something is good, a big something is better. I found that using chemical fertilizers and sprays kept the bushes weaker, than an organically fed rose.

Watering once or twice if it is a dry winter here is key. I always aim for January and March.

I do not look at my roses closely during the winter. Just don't look - you'll feel a lot better.

I give all the bushes a spring wake up with 1 cup of epson salts at the base of the bush in April.

In May they get handfuls of alfalfa - cow food from the feed store.

Sometimes if there is time, I sprinkle a liquid vitamin B1 - one tablespoon per gallon of water - on the bushes to perk up the roots.

It's been a lot of fun -

WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #7345197

Bwahahahahah!
I just got a letter from a fellow coloradian (is that a term?) and she wanted to
know why her rose bushes were covered with leaves right now. I told her
to go outside (I know, ick) and touch them. She will find that they are frozen
solid leaves on her stems. If she breaks one off, it will turn to green slime in
the house like frozen lettuce or green beans or cucumbers. Oh ugh. guck.
gag.

Do you peg grow any roses? You know, peg down a long stem and it will
grow a new plant? Would you do some for me?
Thanks,
Sheri
cathylovesroses
Littleton, CO

December 7, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #7345928

Hi Sheri

I've never tried pegging a rose. .I have several that sprout suckers which grow into new bushes and the center of the bush kind of dies out. I noticed after a few years that those roses were moving to the right or left. Isn't that funny?

I read somewhere that if you put a shovel in the ground and cut through a sucker and leave it alone for a season or two, that the sucker will turn into an independent seperate bush, which can be dug up and re-planted.

I have a gorgeous Great Western that is growing up a pole. It sent out two suckers and I cut through the cane underground and left it to root out. Both suckers died.

I wonder if there is a chart somewhere that gives the names of roses that are amenable to pegging. I'd be glad to try it if you couldhelp me figure out whih ones to try. I haven't been real good with propogation so far. Cathy
KansasRose
Belleville, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7355336

I have started at least 20 Therese Bugnet roses from suckers. I just chop through and separate the sucker from the mother plant, dig up the sucker, and plant it where I want it or put it in a pot if I want to share it with someone. Therese Bugnet is an attractive shrub even when it's not blooming. It's covered with beautiful pink roses in May and blooms sporadically all summer and again in the fall. Once it's established I don't ever water it or feed it or protect it in any way and it's thriving on the hot/cold/windy Kansas plains!
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7355382

Cathy, the way to peg roses, is to take the long canes, and bend them down to the ground and take
a garden staple,and secure the peg into the ground. You can cover it with more dirt. Keep it
watered like the main rose, and in a year you will have a new rose starting there, and you can go
ahead and cut it free. Plant it up either in a pot or a baby rose section.

Thanks Kansas I will have to try the Theresa Bugnet. I love a pink rose. I am a sucker for them.

Regards,
sheri

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How To Kill Over-winter Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogs and Roses greenbrain 5 Dec 8, 2009 11:10 PM
Good for a laugh! HoosierGreen 2 Dec 7, 2009 6:35 AM
Do or Die joannabanana 3 Dec 10, 2009 4:31 PM
Rose love babybella 1 Dec 7, 2009 4:12 PM
Spiny rose creeper for burglars franznel2000 2 Dec 7, 2009 6:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America