Neem oil concentrate

North Port, FL(Zone 9b)

This is my first year growing brugmansias and I read here somewhere that I should use neem oil for mites and aphids. I bought the concentrated bottle and have about 1/2 gallon left over. Can anyone tell me whether it goes "off" and should I just make a fresh batch each time? Just trying to be frugal :)

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The label says to use it within several hours for maximum effectiveness. And not to store the unused mixture for later use.

But me. I would go ahead and use it later. It might not be as effective on some things but it would maybe be effective on others. Maybe you could just mix up less the next time and plan on not having any left over.

But I was wondering what the shelf life is for the concentrate. I have had mine three-four years now. I mix mine in a hand spray bottle (8oz?) to spray my african violets and gesneriads. I just "shake" or spray out the extra on the outside plants growing out on my deck and then make up a new batch the next time.

I'm new to growing brugs too. Really like them !

tish

North Port, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Tish.

I didn't notice on my bottle that I should discard any leftovers but I will make up a smaller amount next time.

Annette

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought it was a plant oil..oil from the neem plant. Am I saying that correctly. I don't know why it would breakdown so quickly to be ineffective. I was surprised when I had first read it on the label. I rechecked the label before I posted you the info so I would be sure, and I had to read it about 3 times before I found where that was written.

tish

Virginia Beach, VA

Can you use the mixture with other plants?. I too have a bottle that is few years old .

most of my tropicals are stored in my sun room and the plumerias got aphids. I had aphids in most of the plants.
Thanks,

Belle

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought some neem to use on vegetables this summer. Like Tish I only mixed a small amount and used a hand spray bottle.

I didn't notice that it wouldn't keep and used a spray bottle over a weeks time (more or less). I should think if it breaks down when mixed, it would not keep in the container either?

OTOH, that small container will last me two lifetimes.

Peel, AR(Zone 7a)

The oil from the neem tree comes from the seed pods.
I grow my own neem trees here in AR.
I also use the leaves I pick from the tree and crumple them up and put in my other plant pots. It seems to make the nasty bugs stay away.
In the summer, I keep my neem tree on the front porch, south side. No bugs ever bother it. And the flowers are VERY fragrant. Reminds me of Gardinias/orange blossoms. Heavenly !
The leaves are very pungent. I make neem tea and also put the hand crushed leaves into my natural soaps.
I might be wrong, but the neem oil may have a expiration on it, many other foods or produce usually do. So, I wouldn't be surprised.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey DesertRose, do you have any seeds to share or trade perhaps?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images