Name that Hoya (Just for Fun!)

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I thought it might be fun for people to guess the name of this Hoya. I took the picture this morning, and thought it had a kind of interesting form. I've had it for 2-3 years, and it has never flowered, but I don't hold that against it. Guess away - with all the Hoya experts here, I don't think it will take too long for the answer to appear.

Doug

Thumbnail by Hoya_24
(Zone 1)

I am not good at guessing, especially Hoyas when there are hundreds I've never seen or heard of. ^_^ But, after looking through 5 pages of Hoyas in PF (Ok, I know that's cheating but I'm probably still wrong!) I will take a wild guess ... is it H. cembra/odorata?

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Sorry Lin! A very good guess though!

Doug

(Zone 1)

LOL, I'm probably way off with this guess too ... what about bella?

(Zone 1)

Or ... plicata?

Ok, isn't anyone else here? C'mon folks, I know some of you Hoyaites know which one it is!

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Lin, those were good guesses too, but not quite right.

(Zone 1)

^_^

Ok ... going googling again! Can you tell I am a curious gal? Especially when it comes to plants!

(Zone 1)

blashernaezii ... or however that one is spelled?

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

H. paucifolia? But the leaves on mine aren't as dark... so probably not. Lemme go and look at some more...

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

H. tsangii?...that was H. odetteae before?

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

That would have my next guess, if mine had grown enough to see a pattern...lol...

(Zone 1)

I thought tsangii was the DS-70?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

It was once... DL determined that the former H. odetteae is really H. tsangii. Christine Burton made a mistake...that is what DS-70 went back to DS-70.

OH...and guess who I heard from? David Silverman (DS) ... this is going to start some interesting conversations.

Speaking of Ms. Burton...has anything been heard from or of her?

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I have attached another photo with the name tag almost readable. Christine got the closest to the correct ID; actually, I think she got it correctly, but made a typo. It is according to my David Liddle tag H. pauciflora. Sorry to keep everyone in suspense so long.

Doug

Thumbnail by Hoya_24
Shepherdstown, WV

I'm still guessing and you already posted what it is....duh....whoops!

This message was edited Dec 8, 2009 7:45 AM

(Zone 1)

Alright Christine! I had no idea which one it was and was looking through PF trying to compare photo's

Doug: Your H. pauciflora is very pretty, I like the growth habit on that trellis ... now I'm going to look it up to see what the blooms look like.

Carol: I don't know who Christine Burton is, only the little bit I've read about her on here, and I was linked to a site once where she was talking about some Hoya or other, but I didn't read much because I couldn't stand the attitude that came across in her writing.

Ok ... who is David Silverman? I've never heard that name.

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Dang, another one mislabelled. I must tell my friend who gave me the "pauciflora" cutting that its not "paucifolia". But, woo hoo!! I was mostly right!! Mine's only about a year old, but the growth pattern is unmistakable; its one I've just transferred from semi-hydro to potting medium, and it didn't skip a beat.

Christine

North Central, ID(Zone 6a)

Doug - do tell, where did ya get that gorgeous trellis ?!?

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Paula,

I would kill for more of those trellises. I bought five of them at a dollar store a couple of years ago, and I have never been able to find them again. They were very handy to have around to pop into a plant, and were just right for many of the smaller and medium sized Hoya. If I ever find them again, I'm going to buy 50!

Paula, didn't you used to live in Hawaii? I see from your login you are now in Idaho. If that is true, that is quite a change!

Doug

York, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Doug,
I love H. pauciflora...one of my favorites...mine grows a lot more compact but probably because I take cuttings often.
I think I will stop chopping on it and give it a chance to bloom.
You have grown a gorgeous specimen!

Joni

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Thanks Joni! It is a funny little plant, but its wild appearance makes me smile when I look at it. I hope some day it will bloom for me, maybe next year!

Doug

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I found that mine likes a lot of sun...not too much water. The blooms are beautiful...but few (pauci-) on the umbel...maybe one...and they are large like patella.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Carol,
How is Mr. Silverman? I purchased hoyas from him back in the late 70's and maybe even early 80's before he had the big freeze in his greenhouse.
Is he still growing hoyas? If I remember correctly, he was in New York back then. I still have his hoya price lists he sent out.
Good to hear he is still around.
Mike

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I haven't had a chance to talk to him....but Ted Green has and DS is living in Silver Spring, Maryland and doing landscape contracting specailizing in Japanese gardens (from what I understand). I am hoping to talk to him later this weekend....

David Silverman is the DS in DS-70. He was an active member/collector in HSI and was at one time president....guess he gave it up after his big freeze....

Carol

North Central, ID(Zone 6a)

Sorry not to get back sooner Doug. Yes, we just left Hawaii this summer.
My hoya are doing fine - several have bloomed. One bloomed here that never did in Hawaii !
I think they like the controlled temperature in the house too.
Still thinking about a new DG name, if anyone has any suggestions ! They said they'll let me change it once.
So, I'm still here, just kinda slow with dial-up. Grooooannnnnnn......

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Paula, I guess you won't be uploading many photos with that dial up connection - my sympathies!

Doug

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images