Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Lantana germination

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 18, Views: 270
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tom_isr
Rehovot
Israel

December 8, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #7347713

we have been trying to germinate Lantana seeds without much luck so far...
we have collected a lot of seeds and they all became mouldy. (the black pulp is coverd with mould)
Its winter time in israel (11-17 C) and decreasing. we know that Lantana needs warmer condition to germinate.
We are thinking of soak the seeds in hot water to remove the mouldy pulps and than save the seeds untile the late spring (5 month from now) and than sow them.
our question: will the hot water induce germination so we must seed immidiatly after soaking or can we dry and keep them until spring time?

thanks.
tom
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7357095

I was just dealing with moldy lantana seeds earlier today... (Forgot I had this one little bagful...)

I've always had pretty good luck sowing them just right after I pick them, and not very good luck with anything else. I would be inclined to plant them, and let them wait until spring in situ. (I think we're a little cooler here than yall are - we would normally be 5-15C in Dec.) Or cool moist storage, not drying, if that's not possible.

I've read that removing the pulp greatly increases the germination rate. (I think the natural process would be that a bird eats the berry, the pulp is removed in its digestive tract, and the bare seed pooped out.) I'm not sure you need hot water for that? Cool water, or maybe even the shaking with sand in a coffee can method - seems like that would be pretty comparable to a bird gullet.

Let us know what you end up doing, and how it works out...
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 13, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7365358

I love the can with sand shake. I learn something new everyday. Thank you.
Tom_isr
Rehovot
Israel

December 21, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #7387006

thank you for your ideas,
i will try and let you know...
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #7397348

To be quite honest with you...Leaving the pulp on doesn't matter or not. I pick them very very ripe. When they are plump and black is good. I've never seen a Lantana seed mold...Just set them somewhere to dry. You can tell when they are viable because they dry black crinckle and shiny. These seeds need warm to germinate. But also like cold too..in my opinion. What I mean is..if you take them through a cold treatment they germinate better. If it doesn't get cold where you live, place them in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Hope this helps

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 16, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7466298

Tom_isr Here is a link for data base on seed sowing. You will find your Lantana there if you scroll down alphabetically. Also check out #13

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 17, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7468815

Sorry but does anyone know how I can put this info into my folders or tag. Have not comes to terms with this problem yet. Learning curve. Thanks in advance.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 21, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7481263

Hi Sharon, not sure what you mean. If you mean you want to save or bookmark it for quick retrieaval, just click favorites and you can save it on that.

You can also copy and paste any information into MS Word. Just highlight what you want, then click the right mouse button. It will say "Save as...". Give it a title to remember, then put it in a folder in your Documents on your PC.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 21, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7482052

Thanks. I have many things bookmarked, I just have to determine how to make folders. I guess I am finally going to have to read the manual.
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #7492505

Sharon, I save numerous things in my DG blog. I copy and past recipes, plant info and things I just want to know or remember. I have about 20+ different "files" that I save under. I keep track of meal ideas that we like, Christmas card lists, names of all our cats (yes, I need a file for that!!), what are my plans for the current year of gardening (no I never complete it...get to busy!)

Go into "my tools" at the top of you DG home page and look to the left for blog. You can make these files public or private by REMEMBERING to check the box for private!!

I hope this may help you,
Joy
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 24, 2010
11:58 PM

Post #7492755

Joy, that is the way to do it. You took my hand and walked me through it., Thank you very much.
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7492829

I don't know what I would do without all the info I have stored in my blog. Glad to show another the way. grin.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 25, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7493851

JOY, Now why didn't I think of that. Beats having a computer crash and loosing folders.
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #7494304

One learns from their mistakes...crashes!!
ralphb
Homosassa, FL

February 27, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7592676

I have several colors of lantana and start them from the parent plant . Just put cuts in the lower part of the cutting, wet, and put some root tone on. Put in potting soil and they will root.
ralphb
Homosassa, FL

March 28, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7663286

Can't help you with the seed germination. I usually just take stocky slips about 4" long, score(cut) the outside put them in root tone and pot them. They may loose leaves but generally will root and put out mew leaves.
mcalpin1
Tacoma, WA

August 4, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8017744

Interesting how http://backyardgardener.com links are no longer active on this website. :(
ralphb
Homosassa, FL

October 27, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8180294

Tom; I've found it easier to just start them from slips of the parent plant. They root easy, score, cut the botton piece of the stem at several places ( 3 to 4 stems to a pot). Use a root hormone and off you go. I have just about all the possible colors and have started them all from slips. "Good Luck"

Picture of a purple lantana

Thumbnail by ralphb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 27, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #8180750

bump

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America