Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Houseplant Collection for 2010 - What are you growing?

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 217, Views: 1,357
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #7350198

Just hit a marvelous sale at one of my favorite nurserys... $1.99 each! Got 8 Here they are collectively!

I am bumping them up to big pots to showoff later as I will need some help in ID'S!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7350242

Wow! Great deal @ $1.99 each! You got some really nice healthy looking plants! These are just guesses/possibilities of what I (think) I see in your photo:

Parlor Palm: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1479/
Banana Croton: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/91705/
Peperomia: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54416/
Fern of some sort
Hoya compacta: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53915/
Sansevieria: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59474/
Hedera (Ivy)
Hoya carnosa Rubra: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57702/

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7350356

Thanks, as soon as I get more time I will post them here individually so you can see them better.. Im potting them up and have to take their pix! Then we can verify them better!

I cannot beleive too how good size there are! I was gonna put them in a couple of basket groups but changed my mind and am going individual pots!

Man, so much to do , so little... well you know! LOL!

Hey Merry Christmas in the mean time!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #7350369

BlossomBuddy: Look forward to seeing individual photo's! Once they are potted up on their own, you can always group them together for a nice arrangement.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #7350757

Ok, heres number 1 of 8 - it is a hoya, but I do not know what kind other than a varigated variety!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #7350776

#1 Hoya carnosa Rubra "Krimson Princess": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57702/
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #7350845

2 of 8 - another hoya, a varigated rope, but do not know what kind

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #7350875

Thank you for #1 plantladylin!
7 more to go! LOL!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
5:18 AM

Post #7350917

#2 Hoya compacta variegata: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73773/
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #7350998

Thank you again!
6 more to go!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7351379

#3 - I think its a peppromia of some description!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #7351429

#3 Red Edge Peperomia: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54416/
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #7351500

Awesome!... You are good!

Here is #4 its a cute little ivy... hedera of some description.. lime green with dark speckles! Not your typical varigate!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7351519

#4 Hedera, there are hundreds of cultivars and I don't know which one this is
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #7351579

LOL! Stumped ya did I! Well that makes 2 of us!

Well, here is number 5...Jeez, I wish Al would label his stuff.. I think its a protea maybe? Heck if I know! Maybe someone else will!

All I know is that it was pretty! I like the yellow and green!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7351659

#5 isn't a Protea. It looks like Codieum (Croton) to me, possibly this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/91705/
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #7351690

I concur with Lin! LOL! Nice haul! I love the variegated ivy, but I also do not know the variety. I just gave away all my large Hoyas, but I kept the var. Hindu rope. Love that one!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7351707

I think thats what I meant! You are more right than me!

LOL! Al had some lovely proteas too. maybe next time.

Ok, here is #6 snake plant, mother in laws tongue?

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7351726

#7 a fern...duh! LOL!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #7351731

#6 Yes, Sansevieria ("Snake Plant"/"Mother In Law's Tongue"): http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Ruscaceae/Sansevieria/none/cultivar/0/

#7 Fern, but I have no clue which one.

You sure did get some nice plants!

Hey ya Phoebes! How are you?
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7351733

Any furry feet on that fern? Looks like a Rabbit's Foot fern?
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7351746

Good eye Phoebes! The fern indeed looks to be a Davaillia of some sort: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Davalliaceae/Davallia/none/cultivar/0/ but, the "furry" feet will tell for sure.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7351748

Hi Lin! OK--still recovering--and it snowed today! How's the weather there?

Tiny Moon Goddess

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #7351764

I knew b/c I almost always have one--I love them! They are very adaptable. I don't know which variety either BLOSSOMBUDDY or I have though.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7351768

no furry feet. Almost got that one too! LOL!

Ok, and last but not least the little Palm for #8.. ewee, sorry about the blurr!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7351775

LOL! No problem!

Lovely violet pheobe!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7351799

Thanks--that one was a rescue, took me a year to get it to grow.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7351910

Phoebe: 'Tiny Moon Goddess' is so cute! One of these days I might end up with African Violets again!

The weather here is weird, can't make up it's mind if it's summer or fall! We've had a couple of cool days the past few weeks, and two nights where the temp's dipped into the upper 30's! But, the leaves are just changing and falling! It's currently 81 and our high today is supposed to be 84.

Blossom: It's real hard to tell with immature palms but yours could possibly be one of the following which are commonly sold as house plants.

Parlor Palm: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1479/
Cat or Cataract Palm: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60192/
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7352089

"The weather here is weird,"

Trade ya! :-)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7352099

Thanks plantladylin!

You guys dont want my weather.. its a 3 for 1... thats Fall, winter and spring all in one half hour.. wind gusts up to 50...snow, sleet, rain..

Now that I have my houseplants I can hibernate! LOL!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7352111

Yer weather is definitely weirder! LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7352119

Yup., changes every half hour. If you dont like it now, wait! Its soooo entertaining. NOT!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7352346

I just checked the thermostat ... it's 85 here right now ... tied a record! The weather folks said they thought we might tie or even break a record for today's date and it looks like they were right. It's very windy here today and the humidity isn't so bad at @ 60% so being outside is comfortable.

I'm only a couple of miles from the beach and thought about going for a walk on the beach this afternoon but it's real windy here so I know it's even windier on the ocean. This shows a hazy view but it's actually blue sunny skies here today so it must be the camera mounted on the hotel that makes this photo look so gloomy. Anyway, here's a live beach cam showing Daytona Beach: http://www.daytonabeach.com/cam.cfm It may take a minute or so to load.

I'd love to visit someplace with snow sometime but I sure wouldn't want to have to live with it or deal with it on a daily basis for any length! It wouldn't be so bad here if the humidity weren't so high.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7352430

Wow--nice Lin! They allow driving on the beach? I see some empty chairs there, I think I should come fill one! :-)! Man! I miss talking to you!

Heritage Frolic

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7352442

Its below freezing outside, ice on buckets, rainy sleety.. flakey and a comfy 57-60 inside. Just right inside. As for outside.. ferget it! Windy as all heck!

NIce Frolic!!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #7352505

They look like Fuzzy Frolic in that pic! LOL! That's the weather we're having too, but temps jumped up to 40 @ lunchtime. The weathermen really missed the boat on this forecast! Temps predicted to plunge after dark.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #7352584

Yep, Daytona Beach's nickname is "The World's Most Famous Beach" because of the ability to drive on the hard packed sand.

Years ago you could drive the entire length of the beach anytime day or night, but there are restrictions nowadays. I remember when there were no restrictions and I always swore if I had kids I'd never take them to the beaches here. I would see cars almost hitting kids who were running out to the water! Now there are rules and regulations in place, with actual traffic lanes and very low speed limits - and the lifeguards and beach patrol units are always around and alert, which is a good thing!

Nowadays during high tides the beaches are closed to traffic. Years ago we would see folks park their cars and wander off to the boardwalk or restaurants and shopping etc. They would leave their cars not realizing the tide would eventually be coming in ... from time to time we would see a car with water up to the doors because folks didn't know!

For the most part the sand is hard packed and conducive to driving, but there are times when it's very soft and if you aren't paying attention your car can get stuck! If you can't find enough strong guys to help you get out of soft sand you have to call a tow truck and pay big bucks to have them tow you out of the soft areas!

We haven't driven on the beach in years! I never agreed about beach driving because of the ecological impact but there are some pretty stringent rules and regulations in affect now which is good.

For your enjoyment, here are some pretty shots of Daytona Beach: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Daytona Beach&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=cfofS4bbB8e0tgeEvcCuCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CDAQsAQwBQ
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7352621

Great topic!
My houseplant collection? Where do I begin? Thumbergera grandiflora (anyone else growing this blue-flowered beauty?); amaryllis, about 60 African violets, scented geraniums, fancy-leaved geraniums (like 'Mrs. Henry Cox'), tropical narcissi, petunias (these bloom for me beneath fluorescents), pansies, jasminum polyanthum...

I like having lots of houseplants, because they make my home look cheerful in winter. Most of my plants grow in window gardens, like the one pictured.

Kevin
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com

Thumbnail by wintergardener

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #7352634

Kevin, that is a stunning display! You have a beautiful indoor winter garden!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #7352648

I drove on the beach down Corpus Chirstie. TX once back in the 70's. It was a neat experience, but like you said, the environmental impact. People can be such pigs!

Hi Kevin, welcome aboard! Beautiful plants there!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7352693

Keven--yer in AVSA Mag? I'm a hobby grower--mostly mini's. My big question is, How do you keep all those garden flowers happy in the house? I've never had much luck with that...for many years. About the only thing I've been successful keeping going in winter is lavender, garden variety violets, and, of course the usual easy indoor bloomers. Oh wait!...do you own a greenhouse? BTW...Move over! I'm coming to live in your house! Sorry Lin, I found a new place to live. ha-ha!
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #7352774

Thanks! Yes, I've written a number of articles for AV Magazine; they gave me an award last summer for my article "Creating A Window Garden."

No greenhouse here. I handle my zonal geraniums in a number of ways, including disbudding throughout summer the ones I wish to have bloom in winter. Other geraniums (and petunias, too) are lifted from their window boxes or hanging baskets in the fall, and then both roots and tops are pruned severely. This way, I can fit them into 5- or 6-inch clay pots. These go under lights during the dark months of November & December. In January, when the days begin to lengthen, they are moved to the sunny window garden. They perform marvelously, so long as the house is kept cool (never above 65-degrees). A weekly shower helps to ward off pests - like aphids and the dreadful red spider.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2009 3:48 PM

This message was edited Dec 9, 2009 4:02 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7353135

Right now I also have begonias.. (Rex, Reiger and senator wax), snapdragons, alysum, baby sunroses, sweet green bellpeppers, paperwhites, mums, red spiderlilies, coleus, pothos, impatiens and dianthus in pots in the house.

I just lost some of my "extended annuals" so that is why I got the housepplants to fill their spaces on my shelves!

Most are under lights.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7353154

Impressive! Thanks for the tips--going in my file. I'll have to look for your article.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

December 9, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #7353215

Beautiful plant pics everyone!

I have 6 different snake plants, 6 african violets (plus 100 or more leaves started), a parlor palm, 3 different kinds of croton, burgundy rubber plant, arrowhead, coffee plant, dracaena, calathea, dieffenbachia, agave, tiger aloe, ti plant, waffle plant, jade, silver dollar jade, peace lily, varigated peace lily and others.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #7353258

tishrh - 100 or more AV leaves under propagation? Now THAT'S impressive! Calculating six to eight (maybe even 12) babies per leaf...well, you can do the math. Think of the birthday and holiday gifts you'll have for friends next year!

I have a coffee plant, too. Love its beautiful, glossy foliage.

Kevin

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #7353380

Aha! your an LLG guy! I went there with a friend last Feb! Just bought a few though. Have you ever shown your Av's? I have not, as I have a small growing space, I'm strictly hobby. Besides, I enjoy growing at that level--have enough stress at my job! LOL

Princess Blue Eyes

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #7353751

wintergardener: That window setting is just so pretty! I find myself going back and gazing at that photo again and again. My house is old and dark so I can't grow too many plants inside. I am fortunate that most of my plants can stay outside year round but I would love to have lots of windows like that to display plants!

My houseplant collection ... a little of this and a little of that, LOL. I've never thought to make a list but I might just have to do that sometime over the winter ... although I might have a heart attack once I see the length of the list! This is my playground:

Thumbnail by plantladylin

3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 10, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7353814

I read some at your site the other day. I was trying to get kalanchoe to rebloom and you came up in the search. I bookmarked it because I realized i had more to learn there :). Very beautiful display.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #7354068

phoebesviolets - I love Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses, and have visited twice. My other favorite greenhouse is Logees, in Danielson, CT.

I have only entered one AV in a show. The judges took pity on me and gave me a blue ribbon. Otherwise, I don't grow for show, but for decoration. I love using violets for table centerpieces, and of course they are fantastic in window gardens. One of my window gardens is devoted almost entirely to standards, miniatures and trailers, all enclosed in a frame of philodendron vines. Here's a picture, in case you haven't seen it on my website.

Kevin

3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 10, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7354083

Well, that's gorgeous :).
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #7354086

Plantladylin - what a gorgeous setting for your plants (and you)!!! Who needs windows when you have an enclosed pool?!

3jsmom - Thank you. And, I hope you found the article on kalanchoe helpful.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2009 9:57 PM
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 10, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7354114

Yep. I moved all my short day plants into the laundry room. Hmmm, with you right here and all, will it matter that light is on down the hall, but not in the hallway that ends in the laundry room? It probably does have low levels of light from the bathroom but is my best option.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #7354130

Total darkness for 12 hours each day is best; even the glow of a street lamp can interfere with bloom. Mine are in a closed cabinet in a cold, dark guest-room. Do you have a box you can place them in? Or a closet? One of these might provide the perfect darkness your kalanchoes need.

What other short-day plants are you growing? Any poinsettias?

This message was edited Dec 9, 2009 10:36 PM
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #7354235

wintergardener: Oh my goodness, your window gardens only get better! That philodendron framed window with the beautiful AV's is wonderful! I'm going to check out the link to your site!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
4:57 AM

Post #7354394

I have had very little luck with African violets.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 10, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #7354659

Christmas cactus.

No poinsettias. I don't even buy them as decoration as they always break my heart, lol.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #7354756

Blossombuddy - here are two very friendly articles on African violets that you might find helpful (and encouraging!): http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2009/10/my-never-fail-program-for-african.html and http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2009/11/african-violets-divide-de-sucker-for.html

Kevin
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7354758

3jsmom31 - I know what you mean about poinsettias! It takes effort to keep them looking their decorative best throughout December. I don't care to see them after Christmas - especially the red ones.

Is your Christmas cactus the non-clawed Schlumbergera bridgesii?
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

December 10, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #7354763

wow your windows are gorgeous! I am being ambious with the over 100 leaves. I have done some leaves before and rarely gotten over 3 babies per leaf. I really want a trailer but they aren't doing too well right now. But houseplants I can do pretty well with. Love the philo going around the window been thinking about doing that just not sure which climbers to do that with. Is all your shelves glass? We moved so now I have alot of windows and been trying to think what kind of shelves to put in. Also making an old bathroom into a germination/proporgation room. Love growing things (then usually gives them out. lol)

3jsmom31- poinsettias just require bright light, keep moist. They are some that use the icecube techinque to keep them watered. The hardest part of them is to get them to turn color again the winter. ( i usually forget the darkness part. Lol.) My brother took a poinsettia and made it into a tree. It is 11 years old. Absolutlely beautiful, he has a greenhouse to give it perfect conditions though. I will have to post a pic of it, the local paper here did a story on it and took a pic.
Tish:o)
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 10, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #7354815

About schlums? I guess. I have some that are more rounded and some that are more pointy toothed along the edge. I also have one that was sold as easter cactus and it looks much different. I don't care about Christmas blooms. I just want to see their pretty little flowers anytime.

Will they rebloom in the same year? I had a small flush on a red and white one and just wondered.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #7354891

tishrh - Thanks! Yes, the plant-shelves are glass, and braced with shelf supports. It takes only a few minutes to outfit an ordinary window with glass shelves, brackets and wire. Here's the whole story, along with a money-saving tip: http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2009/09/creating-window-garden.html
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

December 10, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7354933

thanks!!! any pointers for stretchy violets? I got some at a store and they seem more stretchy than normal. Or do some just do that. Also, any pointers for lopsided ones? Lol.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7355212

Kevin...did you say Logees? LOL! http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m370/fleebeesmom/Logees Greenhouse/?start=all
BTW--that beautiful little jewel orchid died on me :-( I have no trouble with Ludsia discolor, so I was surprised this one died so quickly. Any thoughts on that? It was planted in moss, and I never even got a chance to re-pot it before it died.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #7355344

Kevin thanks!I will have to go check into it.. I think my house is too dry. If ever I could get a dehumidifier that might work. ALthough this year I have a lot of plants in the house and beleive it or not with all the watering, it feels better!

I have Christmas cactus too. Three colors, a red, a pink amd a light pinkish white

I always get a poinsetta.. they break my heart too. But since I order it from our church, its not as heartbreaking! Least the money goes for the good!

My poinsetta has not arrived yet. Got a red one this year.

wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7355731

tishrh - Your stretchy violets might be "stretching" for more light! As saintpaulias age, they tend to develop long necks, which gives them a "lopsided" appearance. This is very easy to remedy, if you are willing to perform a little houseplant surgery. The directions can be found in the next-to-last comment here: http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2009/11/african-violets-divide-de-sucker-for.html

phoebesviolets - I adore Logees! I visit every January or February, and it's like strolling through the Garden of Eden. Jasmine scrambling across the glass ceilings, mature fruit trees growing out of the dirt floor, and flowers, flowers, everywhere.

BlossomBuddy - I have poinsettias, too, as TEMPORARY decoration in one of the window gardens here. I admire those who are willing to live with the plant longer than a month or two. A poinsettia standard sounds divine!
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

December 11, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #7358295

Thanks! I put a pic of them stretching up. I dont know if this is normal, or if I should change the pot.

Thumbnail by tishrh

wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #7358415

Hi, tishrh - It's hard to tell from the photograph, but judging by its disheveled-shape alone, the plant appears to have grown suckers (offsets). Suckers destroy the parent plant's beautiful, flat, rosette-like form, and they inhibit flowering, too. Whenever I see suckers on my own plants, I carve them off.

Otherwise, your plant seems happy in its pot...no need to shift-on. Shifting, as a rule, is only necessary when the diameter of the foliage - measuring from leaf tip to leaf tip - grows to three times the diameter of the pot.

Hope this helps! Kevin
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #7358766

The red Christmas cactus!

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7358789

And just in time! :-) They are so pretty!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7359136

The pink one finished out already and the white one has maybe a couple blooms left to go...but the paperwhites should be just in time for Christmas!

One of my plant stands.. it kind of doubles for a shipping rack, and the tubes are for my fakes when I am crafting!

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #7359243

Cool--my creative juices are flowing after seeing your plant stand! Now...I know what the fly swatter is for, but what is the huge green bean? LOL!
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7359412

I was wondering the same thing? What's that bean?
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 11, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7359422

Really. Blossom, where did you go?
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7359527

I know! I know! She lives on a former nuclear waste site and it is a ginormous orchid air root! Ummm...vanilla bean?
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 11, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #7359862

Or a giant carnivorous plant pitcher :).
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7360441

I will give you a hint!! Hiss hiss!!

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7360464

No sir!!! And where is that man's head?!!!!

:-)
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 12, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #7360858

Lol. Hmmmmm...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7361258

Oh you mean Wilson up thar??! LOL! Im not showing of my man! This is a plant forum! LOL!

Hmm guess ya'll meed another hint?
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7361326

It looks familiar, but I can't nail it--hmmmm...
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 12, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #7361392

Well, I have rubber frogs and lizards in my planters, does that count?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7362378

Hint hint!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049392/

or

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055825/#new

Oh man, frogs!!...I love frogs! Snakes on the other hand.. nah-uh!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953765/

Be a frog census going on there!
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #7362486

Here goes: I'm just getting started... Common Names because that is what I best remember.

Jade Pothos
5 Golden Pothos
Satin Potho
Philo Brasil
2 Velvet Leaf Philo
2 Christmas Cactus
Song of India
Coleus
Rubber Plant
Aloe
Hens & Chicks
Snow Plant
Red Dragon Plant
Texas Daisies
Jade
Ponytail Palm
Anthurium
2 Polka Dot Plants
Confederate Jasmine
Begonia
Arrowhead Plant
Air Plant
Sweet Potato Vine "Blackie"
2 Spider Plants - Variegated
Foxtail Fern
Aluminum Plant
A Fern of some sort. I think I was told its called Jacobs ladder.. idk
2 Dieffenbachia
2 Draceana (dragon Tree)
2 Scheffelera Arbricola (one variegated and one not)
1 Large Leaf Scheff
Wandering Jew
Cyclamen
Peperomia
and a few others I don't know the name of...

This message was edited Dec 13, 2009 12:10 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #7362671

Nice collection there daisylovn! I cant do aloe to save my sou!! And that is sposed to be one of the easiest ones!.. Yet, I can do impatiens in the house.. go figure! I think its my water.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #7363689

Slither! I love it! Was just mentioning how much I like gourds in another thread recently--especially the ones that look like swans.
Great plant collection Daisy!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #7364056

He's hung up thar on the plant stand to dry out. I hope it will. Cant wait to maybe paint him!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7375227

Heres my other rack...

Bottom shelf is baby sunroses

Middle has impatiens, dianthus, coleus, alysumn, chocolate mint, petunia, the houseplants I got above

Top shelf... mostly coleus, a few impatiens, snapdragon

My peppers are in another room and I have also some pothos, mums, Christmas cactus, paperwhite.

Im trying to figure out how im gonna start seed! Ooooooh 6'2">>> room addition pleeeez! LOL I can heyar him saying, Yeah right babe.. just lemme twitch my nose and print some money! Or was he muttering... not on yer life babe? Owell, sounded the same! LOL!

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #7375260

Wow! Remind him how much $$$ you save not re-buying the same plants every spring? Worth a try-LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7375559

LOL! Well, that is if we can convince him without showing him the electric bill and I propagate stuff to the max ASAP to make up for that! Im running two stands with 3 lights on each, a kitchen light and two more fixtures in the laundry room on the peppers!

Nice stand there too! WOW! watcha got?
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7375580

Mostly African Violets. Just turn off the fridge--electric bill will be fine! LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #7375638

oh yeah... then theres the 24/7 running of a 500 gallon water trough heater, three fridges.. well, we quit doing TV 2 years ago.. dont miss that...but then theres the PC...ugh..
and no, Im not running any mega Christmas lites just one strand!.. I keep trying to get this redneck pine to grow... every year I treat it like a poinsetta yano.. put it in the closet for months and months, yank it out.. put lites on it and nuthin... go figure! LOL!. just call me scrooooooge! I think I keep forgetting to water it, maybe thats the issue? LOL! 20 years and nuthin.. sheesh!

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7375675

Charlie Brown's tree? LOL--It's cute! I live alone and would go nuts w/o my TV--radio/cd player--and now, the computer, which is relatively new. That's a lot of water and fridges you've got going there! I'm guessing you don't live in my state--We have the highest electric rates in the country, I believe.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7375826

Well, we got the highest crime rate in the governers house.. so I dont know.. electric bills, or that.. what a trade! I guess thats sumthin to be proud of though.. most Governors in jail..just shows someone is cleaning up the trash government.. slow but sure...not that it does much for the electric bills though... I can see the bumperstinkers now.. Run fer Governor.. retire with free tv, meals and board on the State. Such adeal...seems they get that no matter what...Who needs a pension when yer living in the pen...!

Well, I think I will take your advise.. shut a fridge down.. that just might help a get a few more plants on board!

Now what should we sow? Right now the only thing Im making is sunrose cuttings...the coleus does not do well in the house now for cuttings and it will be January 15th or so when I start forcing trees.

I tried violets once... that was as far as it got after I kilt bunch at once. I think its just something in the water... Im a bonifide cereal killer when it comes to violets...I cried for days!!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7375955

You are too funny!!! Our last Governor landed in jail too. And cereal killers can grow violets, just stay away from the Cheerios--groan! What is a sunrose?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
6:11 AM

Post #7376199

LOL!! Only one in your state?? LOL!! WOOOOOW! Well, thats a start! LOL! Enough of that now, its more than I can handle!!

Baby sunroses.. they are a sedum. I have two kinds now - one is green with a red bloom and the other is a varigater with I think a red bloom as well, I dont know yet, I just got it. They so far are making fine house plants. I dont think these would survive outdoors in my zone. I just started with them this past spring.

Ok, note to self, do not feed Cheerios to violets! LOL! Got it! Maybe I can be reformed. But I warn you there has to be something in my water.. and to which I dont think that can be reformed.

Here is the varigated one...looks like one of those chocolate mint thingees!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
6:17 AM

Post #7376208

And the other...

wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #7376550

Blossom & Phoebe: What beautiful light-gardens! Blossom, do you have one lamp with two tubes or a pair of double-tube lamps above each shelf? (I can't tell from the photo.)

And Phoebe, where did you find that cart? Really splendid. Your lamps look unusual. What are they?

Kevin
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7377041

Double tube florescents.. natural light not grow lights. I dont see much difference in using the grow lite versus the regular except the cost for the grow lites are much higher. Cant say there would be much of a difference in the electric to run them.. if it is then thats peabuts.. The florescents have lasted many many years.

The hub made the stands for me, they are welded conduit and on wheels. We use a cheap ply board for the shelve. It will wharp a little but thats ok so the water does not escape to the floor! And replaceable, but have not replaced any for well over 10 years and since he built them. Gonna have him make me more. That he can do. be cheaper than a room addition! LOL! Yeah right as soon as I twitch my nose and print the money for the oyx/ace and material!
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7377159

Blossom, I use cool white tubes. Some years ago, research conducted by the University of Toronto (or was it Ottowa?) found that cool white tubes performed just as well -- and possibly even better -- than expensive "agricultural" tubes.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2009 12:29 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7377217

Yup, cool whites here.. man my indoor tubes are 10 plus years and only a few have had to be replaced!

I have had to replace a couple balasts though, but those were on units outdoors in a shed. Seems the cold will get them and the bulbs.

Been trying them squirrely twisted florecents like in lamps.. dont like them. too hard on the eyes. Well mine anyway. I dont like "active" light.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7377269

BTW, my Thunbergia Grandiflora started blooming yesterday! You can see it here: http://www.agardenforthehouse.com. Leave a comment there, if you wish!
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 17, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #7378078

Thanks wintergardener. That was really pretty and I like how you give care instructions with your articles :). Now I want another plant. Luckily, it would be really hard to find around here so I'll have to wait, lol.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7378304

phoebe... was pricing them shelves... holy catfish! Close to a grand for those "pro" shelves Between $700 to $950@. and thats not including any shipping...

The ones my hub makes run us around $50-$75 mol in material.. his labor is a love donation... ours are bigger and stronger... hmmm maybe we are in the wrong business. They might not be as purdy, but they will live longer!!! indooor outdoor double as a plant stand outside, just take off the lightfixtures and put them stand in the rain! LOL!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7378349

Which shelves? The one in my pic was @$25.00 at Christmas Tree Shops. If I had more space, I live in a room, I'd buy the shelves at Costco and attach shop lights--cool white, but would prolly shoot for t-8's--cheaper to run and last longer. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10006799&search=shelves&Mo=9&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4000364&whse=BC&Dx=mode matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=shelves&Ntt=shelves&No=6&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7378511

Harris Seed catalog carries a what they think , er is called a heavy duty germination stand...
granted their shelves are adjustable, but unbeilevable the high price. Wow! INdoor use only though...

You got a bargain than too!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7378544

I just got done visiting all your lovely pictures. What beautiful plants you all have.
Phoebe, I haven't done extremely well with violets. I have had some short time success over the years. Right now I have two of them that I received in May at a DG Swap from Doc. He grew them from leaves and I haven't killed them yet. They even bloomed for me. Yeah!
Blossom, I have several plants that you have named, Crotan, Rabbits Foot Fern, Couple of Ivies, my hoya recently bloomed. I have no idea what the ID on it is I grabbed it from a raffle table. I love the Ice Plant I had one a couple of years ago and hopefully I will get another.
Wintergardener, I haven't had time to check out your links but your windows are lovely, I have a very nice looking kalanchoe I must check out your article. I'll try to post a few pics later and come up with some semblance of a list.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7378581

Most of my plants are squished into an upstairs room for the holidays so I will have some problems getting good pics. Here are pics taken several months ago of my Violets.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7378588

And the olther.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7378622

The Orchids are still down stairs. None of them are blooming now but several are showing signs of new flower stalks so I should have some flowers next month. Here are a couple of pics from earlier this summer when they were blooming.
This one is Sherry Baby and the smell is just out of this world. It is one of the orchids that is showing green flower stalks.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7378636

Kevin--I clicked on the link you posted above and got a Blogger status report instead of your Blog. Anyone else have a problem?

HollyAnn--Pretty violets! Did Doc happen to send their names with them? Are they still looking happy in those pots in the pic? As a rule, violets prefer squat(shallow) plastic pots, 1/3 the size of the diameter of the plant. They are happiest when rootbound. But if they are still doing well, don't worry about it for now. It's so hard to tell what's going on from a pic! LOL!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7378650

Love Sherry Baby! I have mostly phals and paphs. I have a $3.99 HD phal I bought earlier this year--one of those 'ice cube orchids' that had finished blooming, so I did not know what it was--It bloomed today! It is pink! I didn't have time to get a pic--maybe tomorrow. BTW HollyAnn--if you can get that orchid to bloom, you can surely grow AV's!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #7378655

Here is another pic taken earlier when all were blooming two of these re-bloomed for me and I have hopes that they will again.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #7378694

Phoebe, They are still in the pots that Doc gave me. I use to make violet pots, those two piece type that you fill with water. A couple of years ago I tried growing them in a terrarium and they were doing very well, till we traveled and my son watered them every time he watered the other plants. When we got home they were floating. I'm sorry to say that I don't know the names for my violets I'm sure I could get them from Doc. Both are very pretty.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7378724

Yes, they are!
I always wanted one of those purple spotty phals--very pretty window :-)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #7378762

HollyAnnS - no thats not a rabbits foot fern, but I sure would like on of those one day! I dont know what kind mine is!

YOur plants are lovely!
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 18, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #7378770

phoebes: I just typed in http://www.agardenforthehouse.com and you get to see his latest posts :)...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #7378779

Several of mine came from HD or Lowe's on the cheap side the others came from my Hobby Greenhouse Assoc raffle table. We had some computer problems a couple of months ago and most of my pictures haven't been downloaded back into the computer. I was lucky to have those. I have a passive solar home 18ft of floor to ceiling glass. I tend to have large plants in floor pots. Maybe that is why I don't do as well with the violets in the smaller pots.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7379676

3js: You must have the magic touch! Your link to my site actually works!

Now, has anyone come across the good, old-fashioned shop-lights? These featured 12-inch-wide reflecting wings, to FULLY illuminate a 12- by 48-inch growing space. I have three such lamps in my study, and love them. But try finding the lamps today!

The newer lamps, though certainly affordable, are only 6- by 48-inches, with virtually no reflective device. Hence, to light a 12- by 48-inch shelf, one needs to buy a pair of these lamps. Arrrrghhh!

This message was edited Dec 18, 2009 10:22 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #7379752

Thats what we put on our stands is the shop lights. We chain them so you can raise and lower them or take them off completely like when you use the stand outdoors. The shelves though are not adjustable.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7379769

Here are the old-fashioned lamps with wide reflectors, on the top shelves. Not exactly an attractive set up, but this is the back wall in my study -- a room that is off-limits to all but the most devoted gardeners in my world...like you!

Kevin

3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 18, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #7379876

Kevin? Can you add something to extend the new fixtures? I'm picturing like mylar paper or something very reflective but flexible. Foil? Maybe not attractive, but certainly would capture the light and throw it back. I have tried to capture light the way the ancient egyptians did, curving the light where you want it. My goal was to get the sunlight from the living room into the kitchen which has no outside wall. It was interesting and I learned a bit, but have to play with it some more :). I found a mirror the other day, and plan to place plants on it that need lots of light, it bounces it back up to them. Wonder if that would help with fluorescent? At least it's prettier than hanging foil. A mirror behind? Would take light from the wall and throw it back to the plants. Sorry that I don't know where to get those wide hooded lights, they look very nice.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7379967

Hardware, lumberyard, farm stores would probably carry the lightfixtures and bulbs along with the electricall wiring needed and I think a mirror is an excellent suggestion!

I have been thinking on how to throw the light back Up to my peppers since they have gone over the top of the light fixture...short of cutting them back!

Tinfoil would be an irritation at watering time I would think and would have to be chronically replacing it.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 18, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #7380052

There is sheeting they sell for roofs, its heavier than foil but flexible for making valleys in roofs. It could potentially cut you though.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #7380165

My guess is that no one is manufacturing the old, wide-hooded fluorescents anymore.

But I love the idea of using a mirror. Perhaps the "full-length"-type mirror that people hang on closet doors could be mounted, sideways, between plants and wall. Mylar, too, could suffice, if it were arched over the new, hood-less lights.

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas.

And, 3js, strategically placing a mirror to reflect light from one room into another sounds very creative!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7380176

Bought this for $3.99 at HD after it was done blooming--had no clue what the flower would look like. I love the color!

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #7380244

Its a hybrid Phalenopsis, an orchid. Read up on care, and tell us how you do they were always tough on me.

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #7380263

Since I never posted a list, for the most part I have succulents, around a hundred, mostly spineless or lightly spined. I have collections of Crassula, and really like Adromischus, I have 2 succulent pelargoniums several echcverias and hoyas from various sources. A number of Christmas cacti, including one very old ~100 one that has not bloomed yet I have 2 easter cactus from years ago, but are unnamed. We have a giant spider plant, rubber tree, and pony tail palm.

Typically I like succulents due to their easy going nature, but now I find some species of Adromischus have strong winter growing tendencies.

Mostly I grow either the bizarre, but have some mundane to keep the bizarre bizarre.

My mother was an African Violet nut, which got me into Episcia and Aescynanthus, then into cactus and succulents. Now I am trying to get more caudiciforms.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #7380291

Orchids... nope not going there.. They are to costly for me! Im a cereal killer with them and AV's... as for episcias. tried them, did not do to badly at first.. after I killed them.. did not go back.

Used to do cactus.. had about 100 kinds, dont recall whatever happened to them but suspect they got given away on moving. I would go back with them if I could find room...! LOL!

Bizarre is fun!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7380296

Wintergardener, Try checking out second hand stores. In our area there are quite a few second hand shops. Habitat for Humanity has a warehouse with donated items for sale. There is an Architectural Warehouse that has old building supplies. Not only do they have interesting doors, windows, mouldings and hardware for people restoring old homes but they have all kinds of things. Ric is a hunter gather. It's not unusual for him to pick things up that have been left out for the trash. I got several of those old wide 4 bulb lights from a neighbors yard they had put them out free for the taking. But he will quite often stop at constructions sites. If they are doing a demo they are quite often very happy to let you cart off used materials that they would have to pay to get rid of. If you have free-cycle in your area you can post on there to see if anyone has some.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 18, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7380314

As far as what I grow... hmmm, well, aroids, gesneriads, begonias, orchids, hibiscus, a few carnivorous, dracaena's and cordylines, some bromeliads, and then other stuff. I guess anything that likes me well enough to stay :).
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7386760

I had a terrible time trying to get a few good pics of the plants still downstairs. This is the best pic I have gotten so far. In this pic you can see the Prince of Orange, Hibiscus and Raspberry Ice Bougainvillea. Most of my house plants aren't looking their best right now. They got pretty dried out when we were traveling last month and are still showing some signs. The Bougie lost a lot of leaves but is comming back. There is a fuzzy Tradescantia planted in with the Hibiscus. It was just cut back so all you see is the chopped off stems. The PoO is several years old.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #7386787

The Hibiscus did get a bit dry but luckily not dry enough to drop the flower buds. So I have several blooms.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7387717

Very pretty Holly! Makes me want to re-think my focus on AV's, and try some new things.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7387819

I have a few of this and a few of that. They do take up a good bit of space, though. There is a Ficus, Hibiscus, Prince of Orange, Croton, the 5 Orchids, Jade and this (?) plant I brought home from Fl. a year ago. Can't remember what it is started with an I, I think. Lyn would know I'm sure. Holly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7387837

Looks like an Ixora (jungle flame?)
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7387846

The bloom looks familiar as in I saw it at Logees? LOL! What is your humidity? Mine has plummeted with this frigid weather--and what isn't wicked is needing watering every couple of days!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7387859

Here is the Jade it is more than 30 years old. Sure wish it grew into a tree but it is more of a sprawler. That pot is 12 inches high and 20 inches across. Over the years some of the larger pieces would break or die off and new ones would start.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7387919

Thank you Hcmcdole, It is an Ixora. My computer was down for a month or so and many of my old pictures and word documents have not been downloaded back it the computer. I have a lot of my plant lists in those documents.
We heat with a wood/coal stove so our humidity isn't good. Ric picked up a humidifier to sit in with the plants. He got it at a local a flea market for a couple of bucks but it didn't work well. We do put a pot of water on the stove to help.
You probably did see it in Logees, I have found that when we travel to Fl. that I can get really nice plants at HD or Lowes. Plants that I would have paid big$$ for much smaller plants locally or from a catalog. The Croton, Ixora and other Bougie all came home from Fl. The Raspberry Ice Bougie came from Logees years ago and it was just tiny. The other Bougie has solid green leaves and an orangish flower. It was called sunset (something?)
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #7392673

Is anyone forcing tulips, hyacinths, or other hardy bulbs this winter? I have a number of them under refrigeration. Can't wait to bring these out for a an early spring...

Kevin
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

December 23, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #7392810

I am ! I havea few tulips and daffodils that I am doing. I put mine in the basement. I have too many veggies and fruits in the refrigerator to be safe for bulbs.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7393069

tishrh - good for you. And what restraint you must have. I went overboard with bulb-forcing this year, but I love the sights and scents they provide in January and February.

My bulbs -- planted in 21 pots and 12 vases -- were initially set in the root cellar. But the cellar became too warm once the furnace kicked on. As you can see from the picture, they ended up in the spare refrigerator. I wrote a story about the trials and tribulations of hardy bulbs, and finding appropriately cold quarters for them, on my web site.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #7394696

I did a paperwhite pot for Christmas. . but cheated.. it was one of those kit plants you get this timeof year.. I was pretty disapponted. Only three small blooms on four bulbs.

At the old farmhouse I would force a lot of spring bulbs.. did them in our cellar. Jeez I miss that cellar!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #7395417

I had plenty of bulbs this fall and thought about keeping a few to force but I had so much going on that I decided just to get them in the ground. Now I'm sorry that I didn't keep a few out. I just love paperwhites but they don't love me. I get a strong reaction to the smell. What I would really like to make is pots of mixed bulbs. Crocus, daffs and tulips. I saw beautiful mixed pots at the Phila. Flower Show last year.
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7395429

Blossom - I know what you mean about those kits with puny bulbs. I don't even bother with narcissi from local vendors. I buy mine from a dealer in California, called http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com. Their paperwhites, available in several varieties, are jumbo-sized, and not at all expensive. I always add gin to the pebbles and water the paperwhites grow in. They stay small, then, and don't require staking. But you probably already know all the gin-trick.

Happy Holidays!
Kevin

wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7395564

HollyAnnS - You might like 'Inball' or 'Winter Sun' paperwhites. These two have practically no scent at all, unless you hold the flowers up to your nose! I wrote about paperwhites and other tropical bulbs that can be forced in pebbles and water here: http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2009/09/paperwhites-other-narcissus-bulbs-on.html

I, too, would love to combine mixed hardy bulbs in pots. But I fear the crocuses will bloom first, and then fade, just as the daffodils or tulips begin to open! I wonder how the florists get everything to bloom at the same time...is it magic? Or just a keen sense of timing?

Kevin
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #7395643

I was thinking the same thing, you must really have the timing down. first pulling the tulips out then the daffs and the crocus last and getting them in a pot. If we get to the Phila Flower Show again I will try to talk to someone about how they do that and get a couple of pics.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #7396019

Well, the other day I did some impatien cuttings off the one I brought in the house... and now I have a petunia blooming... dont that beat all, a petunia for Christmas! LOL!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7396025

Impatiens...

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #7396039

Very cool! Are you sucking up the tunia bouquet?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7396061

wintergardener... most florist stock is not even grown local or even in this country! Chances are its grown in another country and shipped in.

If you get a chance to watch the New Years Rose parade.. they usually show how things are made on the floats.. they often explain where the flowers come from. Now thats timeing!

Try googling the Rose Parade.. that might be of help! If you find a good link.. let us know here!

I always wanted to work on one of those floats.. Now that would be a miracle in my lifetime to do that! (That and to swim with a dolphin!!!) But anyway... what fun that would be!

Right now Im just counting my blessings to just enjoy a few plants indoors...and praying the power stays on. We have had 2 power outages in 12 hours, down for 3 hours each.. got a little ice storming here.

So in boredom, I cut my dianthus and put the flowers in a vase!

wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7396122

Holly - I may attend the Philadelphia Flower Show this spring. I'm in the Garden Writer's Guild, and they usually hold lots of workshops in Philly during festival-time.

Blossom - is that petunia 'Opera Supreme Pink Morn'? I once wrote an article about its winter-capabilities http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2009/04/colorful-sweetly-scented-petunias-are_4596.html

Here is a picture of my own 'Pink Morn,' taken last February. Such an amazing plant.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #7396181

No that petunia is actually a seedling from Total Madness. Its a tad "runty". but I expect later as the plant gobbles the fertilizer I gave it and as it matures it will get better... its only it 3rd bloom and was from the Total Madness mix I had in the basket this summer! Its just a baby!! There are more babies in that pot too.. they might be mixed colors.. time will tell! Im just thrilled to death to have it in the house now! Hope I can take it to spring and get it outdoors where it can have its fun later!

Your Pink Morn is lovely!
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7396210

Yes, petunias - no matter what variety - are wonderful to have in winter. I especially appreciate mine on frosty mornings, when the scent, which recalls the sweetness of summer, is at its strongest.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7396235

You two are making me so sorry I didn't grab those baby Impatiens I had popping up all over the flower beds at the end of the season. I was just so good this fall maybe next year I will be a little more organized and have a little more room.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7425779

Holly AnnS, just get some tunia seed and start them now in the house. Put the seed in a pot, water and put some saran over it and they will be popping flowers in no time!

I was a baaaad woman today. Stopped at Als again... seems the little 2 inch $1.99 houseplant sale is a regular thing with them!...

Its time to play name that houseplant again! Jeez I sure wished they would label them! *sigh* but then perhaps that is why they are such a bargain!! LOL!

Heres the new group!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7425786

Ok, to make things easier to ID, here they are one at a time!

#1, we know its a hoya and tri colored, but do not know its name...its white, green and a tad purple.

Sorry about the blurr, I just cant seem to get a really super clear close up...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7425789

#2 is another hoya, just white and green... dont know its name though!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7425791

#3 - Ima thinking purperea something.. transcantia or something like that??? dont know... and the color is off its purple and fuzzy with a serated leafe, used lots of times in hanging baskets when they are big!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7425795

#4 - I know this one, its a hypoestes or the pink polkadot plant.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7425801

5a and 5b - Both again are hypoestes. The darker one is red and green and the other one is white.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7425807

#6 - last but not least... and she told me the name but my brain has been tenderized by the cold.. caryputsis or some dang thing??? dont know anyway it is very pretty and has pink flowers

tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 4, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7425978

Number 3 is a purple passion plant. :o)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7426002

tishrh, I beleive you are right! I think it also goes uder the name of velvet plant... gynura auraniatica more specific...just also found it in one of my books! The name I was thinking was wrong...but I do have another purple house plant.. its called a purple heart wnadering Jew no where like this one. Shown below.

Same book said the #2 hoya is hoya carinosa... but no specific name... Did show a like pix of it. And same with the #1 hoya.. Hoya carinosa - "tri-colored'...

The hypoestes came to be hypoestes sanguinolenta

Thanks for your input!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7426573

Nice little plants, isn't there something about getting a new plant that just brightens your day?
Ric and I spent yesterday at LongWood gardens. Boy talk about brighting your day. The Conservatories are just so beautiful. I'll post a link to the pictures for you all to enjoy when we them posted.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7426677

Beautiful!
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7427073

Now, THAT is exquisite! Any other pictures from your Long Wood sojourn?
Kevin
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7427211

Oh yes, we have quite a few and Ric and I were working on them this morning. I will definitely post more pics.
Funny we were just talking about Christmas Cactus and I only have one and it is white. I need a few more of different colors. This morning I received an offer of several cuttings of different colors, peach and yellow not sure what else but I am really looking forward to them. They are comming from the same person that I got my violets from, he grows such lovely plants.
I'm sure that I can have one like this in just a few months from my cuttings. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7427289

Looking at your pictures, I think I could use a conservatory. Anyone else having the same thought?

In the meantime, my January to-do list is up. The chores, of course, are mostly devoted to houseplants.

Kevin

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 2:08 PM

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7427351

Kevin--Very pretty combo--and I love that plantstand!
BLOSSOMBUDDY--Plant #6 looks like it could be a gesneriad--which are african violet relatives. I have one wit similar leaves--I post a pic--soon as I take one--LOL!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7427392

Here it is--Gloxinella Lindeniana--in serious need of pinching...

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7427409

Nope--not the same--but they could be cousins...another view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7427459

Phoebe, I will have to take a better photo of it when it has more blooms so you can see the flower... that pix distorts it and when it has blossoms they are a lavender pink and tubular about an inch long, not quite and very narrow... It lost the blooms on the way home... she told me what it was and my brain is still froze there but I do not recall that it was a gesnariad. Here I thought I would remember! LOL! All I can remember it had an "isis" on the end maybe!? Carp.. something isis ->> is what I am flirting with... oY! Its quite small in a 2 inch pot and the leaves almost remind me of an episcia, but they are not that big! NOr are they that thick! Its rather dainty actualy! The leaves are almost the size of my little finger nail.

It almost struck me as a fuchsia but then its too small and the flower is not right.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7427579

Boy that sure is close looking, but your leaves are thicker looking! Heres a better pix of it.. the flower has started to curl back, but you can get a better idea on the size I was smittened with the thing when I saw it. I think I might just have to get a few more! She said it would make a nice basket plant. Its in a larger pot now too... My leaves are thin and they are not fuzzy

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #7427661

Blossombuddy: Great little plants you found this time of year and a great price! Even at Wal-Mart anymore the little 2" pots are $2.99 or higher! your new babies look very healthy.

#1 Hoya carnosa Rubra a/k/a Krimson Princess: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2564/

#2 Hoya carnosa Tricolor a/k/a Krimson Queen: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57703/

#3 Gynura aurantiaca "Purple Velvet" Plant: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2570/

#4 & #5 Hypoestes phyllostachya "Polka Dot" (a few listed in Plant Files): http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=Hypoestes&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

#6 Looks a bit like Graptophyllum pictum "Caricature Plant": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2568/ but I'm not convinced it's that.

HollyAnn: Wow, I'd love to see more photo's of Longwood Gardens! Looks like an amazing place to visit! I wish we had some place like that nearby ... I'd probably spend a lot of time there!

wintergardener: Love that Geranium in your grouping. Cute Begonia's and impatiens also!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7427697

Blossombuddy: I wonder if your plant #6 could be a Caryopteris of some sort? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68422/

There are 23 listed in Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=caryopteris&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&offset=0 but not all have photo's.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7427726

Plantladylin thank you so much for finding the links! Im not convinced on that last one yet either!

I think you have one and two reversed? The first one I listed is the tri color and the second one is only green and white. The name is baffleing on my number 2

Let me look at those again!

-------------

wintergardener, yep, those are nice geraniums... hmmm something to think about for planting this spring! Did you start yours by seed or a cutting?

LOL! I just did some more impatien cuttings.. I cannot beleive I am actaully getting the things to start in my livingroom! I had trouble last summer doing them in the greenhouse! Guess I better stick to a good thing! LOL! Im also working on doing some more coleus cuttings
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7427777

Plantladylin, I think you have the winner in that Caryopteris! She did say it started with a c! And I did recall the "is" at the end so that must be it!

Now we just need to straighten out those 2 hoyas and thats good enough. Least I can call them something now other than a NOID!

Thanks again!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7427787

I think #1 is H. carnosa Rubra: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/85702/ which has leaves with green edges and cream/white interior

whereas #2 H. carnosa Tricolor: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/29181/ is the reverse with white leaf edges and the green in the center.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7427801

I thought your leaves were fuzzy--but your last pic shows they are not. My plant is also in a 2" pot, just looks bigger cause I took the pic on the macro setting. also, the tubular bloom is gessie-like. Any way you can call the vendor while they still might remember you? I'm dying to know what this is!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7427831

Well that Caryopteris! was close.. but I think no cigar! After looking at it again.. nope I am not convinced yet but maybe yet something similiar!

This one is still a NOID!

And that link you had to hoya #1 was way off..

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7427841

It looks so familiar--Have you thought about posting this pic on the AV forum? Bet someone there will know.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7427890

That is such a gorgeous plant! And, I'm beginning to wonder along with phoebesviolets if it could indeed be a Gesneriad! How about Corytoplectus? http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=images of corytoplectus plants&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=T2ZCS4KKDtSztge55_mQCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQsAQwAA

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/143851/
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #7427929

Blossom's plant does have the markings of Corytoplectus. Betcha that's it.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2010
10:32 PM

Post #7427986

I've never seen one for sale anywhere, so that is a great find if it is Corytoplectus!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
10:33 PM

Post #7427998

The hoyas are a tough call too. OY! I think my eyes are crossed trying to compare them.

Yeah on that Car-a whats- is..., I will have to go back next week and hope they still have it then write it down for on the cute little purple flowered one. Gads I wish they would tag those plants there, but they are soooo nice and you dont care when you get them until you get home! They put a huge pile of them out and put one sign calling them all houseplants at $1.99 and thats as far as it goes!

Im stumped!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #7428299

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/143851/

BINGO!!

Corytoplectus!

Dare I post my pix there???
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7428367

Yup!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7428399

Definitely!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7428463

dun did it!!!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7428513

How bout yer pic?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7428555

posted 2... they take a day or 2 to process =^}
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
3:52 AM

Post #7429249

I am hugely impressed. I can't keep track of my plant names even when I have them to start with. LOL
Here is a link to the pics Ric took at Longwood Gardens.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=869389897211:157013260&cm_mmc=site_email-_-new_site_share-_-core-_-View_photos_button
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
4:21 AM

Post #7429340

I take a lot of pix and do a lot of journaling!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7429361

Wow--I'm speechless! Thanks so much for posting these wonderful pics! I think I would have had a hard time leaving if I had been there--spotted lots of hiding places-LOL! Who are the peoples? Your little girls? Any of them you? The sculptures, stonework, and the flower carpet leading to the Christmas tree were particularly beautiful. BTW...I have trouble keeping track of my violets' names too! I tracked down the names of 2 violets I had lost the ID's to just this weekend. Luckliy the growers who sold them to me last summer keep better records than I do! I really have to work on that!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 11:33 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7429848

None of the children are mine, DH Ric took all the pics and that area is the children's garden so he included them as they were really enjoying the garden. The shot with the five women are us DG friends from the Mid-Atlantic Forum. We had 6 altogether with Ric. Would have had a few more except for illness. Front to back is Catbird423, HollyAnn (me), Aspenhill,Critterologist and Sallyg.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7429921

Pheobe, I spent the better part of the two last years taking pix and posting them. I started posting on my trade list and the thing is monsterous! I did not realize we had so many plants. My main goal was to just to try to get the bulk listed which I did. I would go on the larger listers lists and put things to my have and want list.. that took the least time to get the monsters listed.. then now I am filling in the blanks. Dave was so kind to even put a search engine on my tradelist when it got to big for me to handle. Unfortunately I cannot keep up with all my trades availabilities so a lot of them are not always available and I check that upon request. I only trade at certain times of the year too and duh, I need time to "garden"! It takes me 4 days to just water my house plants! LOL! Then like a glutton for punishment what do I do I get more. I will be soooo glad when I can kick them outside.

Anyway, I should have posted them all to a journal on Daves but I had no clue as to how many I would be listing.. and besides that the journal system went over my head so as it turned out it was easier to just keep them all on the trade lists so now I am working on updates.

. I try like heQQ to keep the new stuff I get up to date first.. its the older plants I have issues with.. what died, what needs replacing what part of the garden has gone disaster and what part is working, none etc!

I had to force myself to get organized. If you go to my threads and view the GPS series I have going you will come to a part where I came up with how to calender stuff.

Things get a wee bit on the odd side in some conversations, but I have a few friends here that like to tease so you have to put up with thme! LOL!
Anyway... thank you all so much for your help in ID's! You are all wonderful!

I am a full time gardener/rancher/wife (not necessarily in that order!).. I think I do this stuff in my sleep! And some days it reallly looks like it! LOL!
I think my mainstay of plants is daylilies, only because they do best here in my flood plain and soil, but I do try to do variety! Admittedly an understatement! I have been trading, buying and occassionally selling plants for many years..., but am by no means an expert. There is just too much to learn!
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7429931

Holly -Longwood photo gallery is totally cool. Thanks for sharing!
Kevin
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
12:55 AM

Post #7432498

I took a few pics while up at Mom's. She doesn't have a lot but they are pretty. I'll start with her violets.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7432519

I can't remember when she got this CC but I do remember that it was just a small thing with a pink CC and a white CC planted together in the same pot. Somewhere between then and now the pink one must have died back because it only flowers white now. It is just about finished blooming but I thought you would like to see how large it is.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7432537

The Appleblossom Amaryllis I gave her is blooming. Three open blooms and another stalk comming up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
1:11 AM

Post #7432561

She has two of these poinsettias. They were used in a Christmas church display.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7432750

Your Mom has quite the green thumb! Her violets are beautiful! I got the church pointsettas 2 years ago--they looked beautiful til @ March---way longer than any I've ever bought! I think they were influenced by all that time in church! LOL!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
2:29 AM

Post #7432911

LOL phoebes, My Mom sure wouldn't think she has a greenthumb. I told her there are a lot of gardeners out there that couldn't keep plants alive as long as she has. She has some paperwhites and a couple of philos in that window, too. It's a bit dark you you can see how nice her display looks.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #7432980

Great window! Your Mom has learned to grow the plants that are adaptive to her conditions, and then provides for their needs, very nicely too!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2010
2:44 AM

Post #7432995

HollyAnnS that CC is the biggest one I have ever seen!

I just got our church poinsetta about a week ago or so... I cant get them to go for too long. I should trade it off to someone who can, but the thing is over a foot to 2 foot tall! If I can get it to shipping weather I might be game to trade it off.. Problem is is shipping without klobbering!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7433120

I had a poinsettia as a house plant for years. I never did try to get it to re-bloom and then one year it was a casualty of space when we built the addition. Now I just get them and enjoy them for the season. Maybe I will try a few later.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7433661

Mine are an annual casualty! Im a poinsettia cereal killer! I get them from my church to at least support a good cause! I think some years I am lucky to get them thru February, but Lord knows I try hard!

In the spring its Easter lilies or tulips.. although I have been known to get a second bloom on the lilies, a third has yet to accur!

I dont often do the tulips because they are a casualty as soon as they are done blooming. Its even rare that I can get them to the next year. Its just too wet. Now if they would do daffodils.. then I would be in toruble.. my donation would be considerably larger! I can do dafs no problema, they love it here!

Well guys, I think in the morning I will start a continuation thread...stay tuned!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7446226

Sorry, im a bit slow, got stuck in traffic...
literally!

Anyway, I went back to the nursery where I got the cute lil purple flower.. Im miffed.. now they are calling it something that sounds nothing like what they called it the first time...here is what they said today its a Monkey plant.. Yeah.. making a monkey out of me!

Here is what they said the botanical now is! Im scratching my head and going grrr becasue it truly is not what they said the first time. ANd the name we all agreed on was more like what they told me as it started with C! [Corytoplectus]

Heres their version today: ruelliamakoyana

I truly dont know what to think.. but I gave them a peice of my mind on it and told them.. sure would be nice if they labeled the plants and the clerk agreed. Be nicer too it they were labeled with the right name too! .Its so frustrating when they have such gorgeous lil plants not to know who the plants are!

So here are the two newbs... The three I now have will be heading for a hanging basket in the future. These are in 2" pots to give idea of their siize!

OK, Will be maki ng a new link .. coming up in my next post here for those who this thread takes so long to load!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7446260

We know Ruellia as "Mexican Petunia" down here but there is one with a common name of Monkey Plant which looks to be what you have: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38212/
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7446330

Plantladylin,
I will have to check your link.. its one or the other!

Mexican Petunais up here are much bigger and different than what I show in my pic! I want to try some of those. I saw some last year, but it was too late to buy them.

Anyway, here is my new lil prayer plant

And the new link to the continuation of HOUSEPLANTS COLLECTION 2010

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/houseplants/all/

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
12:15 AM

Post #7447031

Blossom, I haven't had prayer plants in years. They are so pretty. We went down to Fl. a couple of years ago and visited USF Botanical Gardens. They used prayer plants as border plants in many of the beds. So funny seeing something that we grow in small pots used in such away.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2010
12:24 AM

Post #7447063

Hi ya HollyAnn! I bet that was a pretty sight with Maranta's as a border! With the winter we are having down here I think many are going to lose a lot of special plants. I'm in Daytona Beach and we didn't get out of the 30's today!! That really amazes me ... I've been in Florida for 43 years and have never seen anything like it. I've been sharing this pic on a couple of other threads. It was sleeting from before 7 a.m. until noon here today. There was still ice around at 6:30 this evening so my husband and I went out front and made this little fella ...

Thumbnail by plantladylin

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7447071

I cant imaging them as border plnats
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7447101

Ric called his Dad in New Port Richie and asked if he knew of someplace to get frozen grapefruit juice. His Dad has a grapefruit tree in his yard and he told Ric he will have some by morning.
Blossom, It is one of the things I enjoy most when visiting Fl gardens. Seeing plants that I grow in small pots in their more natural state. They had Philo growing in trees, they were huge and went 20-30ft and more up into the branches. Holly
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7447139

LOL! I was busy running a plow through that stuff up here and your playing around! Love it, enjoy it while it lasts! And they call it global warming... hmmmm!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2010
1:37 AM

Post #7447280

Blossom: Wow! That is a really beautiful scene! We think it's cold here, but I bet it's freezing in zone 5a! I'd have to hibernate all winter if I lived much farther north!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7447380

We can thank mother nature for the beauty.

Hibernating is not an option for me.

Thats my GPS and it has plants in it, they get to hibernate.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America