-
AuthorContent
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7351517

I am sure a lot of you know about this way of cooking kale, but I just tried yesterday and they were delicious. I wish I knew about this when I was pregnant with my 2 babies I would have probably not gained as much weight since this kale chips take care of the salty cravings and are much healthier for you than regular chips.

Kale recipe chips.

A big bunch of kale ( I tried it with red rusian kale but any will do)
2 ts of olive oil
a pinch of salt to taste.

Wash and dry the kale, take the ribs out, cut the kale into bite size pieces place it on a bowl.
add the olive oil and salt, massage it until all is covered with olive oil and salt.
preheat oven to 350, place kale chips in a baking sheet try not to overlap them so they can cook evenly and crisp up.
Bake for 15 min.

Hope you try them if you have not before, they are much healthier and good too.

There are a buch of recipes to make kale chips on you tube some with cheese as well but I thought this was the best to make a healthy snack, plus you don't need a dehydrator.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 11, 2009
5:37 AM

Post #7357957

Super!!! Sounds wonderous!!! Kale is a favorite of mine...so healthy...so good with pumpkin or squashes. I must try a combo...

Thanks so much!
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7358700

Not a problem alohahoya, let me know how it turns out. I still have to try more recipes with the kale, there is another one I want to try kale with beans.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 11, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7359189

Please...put Kale recipes up...or send a link. I am always trying to find good ones!!!
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #7359465

AlohaHoya, I love to watch gardening and cooking on youtube, here is the link of the kale and white bean soup, it looked really good so I thought I should try it next, http://www.youtube.com/user/erochow#p/u/70/FDWtNiAQSy8. All his videos are pretty good. I also tend to always search online for new recipes since I am growing veggies that I normaly don't eat, example of one is bock choi or even kolrabi (this one is not ready just yet). I also go to the libreary and get cooking books there as well and try some of the recipes from those books.

There is another recipe this guy does called salsa fresca that I am dying to try as well.

Happy cooking!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 11, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7359961

Try this with the bok choi...we eat it alot.

When the plants are small 'rosettes', cut them from the root and trim off the outer leaves. You should have a bulblike part at the bottom about 1.5 inches wide...maybe 2". Score the bottom of the stem... Make sure all the leaves etc. are free of dirt.

Now...heat a little bit of oil in a hot pan and put the freshly washed bok choi in ...turning them so they cook all the way around...

Pour over them about 2T soy sauce, 1 garlic clove minced, a teasp. of sugar or honey, 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil and put the lid on and let them cook a bit longer until the 'bulb' part is slightly tender...

Done.

We love this with roast chicken!!! I also add some chile flakes to it...not many. Sometimes I arrange them in the frying pan so the leaves aren't in the oil/water...they tend to cook faster.
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7360297

Thank you so much Aloha, I will definetely try your recipe, I have all the ingredients at hand so I will ttry it soon.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

January 2, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7418712

I bet that if you had shredded pumpkin...really finely done...you could combine it with the kale. I have read that the combination of the two is extra healthy...and I find the sweetness of the pumpkin (Sweet potato/squash) really helps...

carol
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7419608

Thanks Aloha never though of using shreeded pumpking with the kale, you mean to make kale chips right?
I just learned my DH does not care for sweet potatoes so I wont be planting them any time soon, he does like squash though.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

January 3, 2010
2:21 AM

Post #7421571

carminator1...making your chips tonight and I may experiment by adding a bit of garlic and also some hot peppers. HA...if I survive I will let you know...

Carol
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
2:45 AM

Post #7421644

I just made a batch myself, had some craving for chips and have lots of kale growing.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

January 3, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #7422005

oops, what did I do wrong? After baking, they didn't stick togther and were totally dehydrated, like flakes...really good sprinkled on the rice!!!! But I followed evrything! WAH!
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7422762

Aloha I wonder if your oven might be stronger, mine do hold together, I try not to overlap them so they can individually dry. The kale I've been using to dry is called Red Russian kale, but I've even tried it with the kale that walmart sells in the stores a little bit more crinckled and it turn out fine. This you tube video is where I got the recipe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGesrS_YrQc
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

January 3, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7423100

I was thumbing through an old issue of Bon Appetit and found a kale chips recipe. They used Tuscan kale, not the curly kind. Here's their take on the kale chips:

12 large Tuscan kale leaves, rinsed, dried, cut lengthwise in half, center ribs and stems removed
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Toss kale with oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange leaves in single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Bake until crisp, about 30 minutes for flat leaves and up to 33 minutes for wrinkled leaves. Transfer leaves to rack to cool.

They pictured their kale chips served in a tall glass tumbler. Sure looked pretty.

Have any of you found the flat-leaf kale in grocery stores? I can only find the curly kind.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

January 3, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7423137

Here's another recipe from the same issue of Bon Appetit. I haven't tried it, but it's on my list of 'new things to make'. :-)

Kale Salad with Pine Nuts, Currants, and Parmesan

2 T. dried currants
7 T. white balsamic vinegar, divided
1 T. unseasoned rice vinegar
1 T. honey
1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 t. salt
2 bunches Tuscan kale (@ 1 pound), center ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
2 T. pine nuts, lightly toasted
Parmesan cheese shavings

Place currants in small bowl, add 5 T. white balsamic vinegar. Let soak overnight. Drain currants.

Whisk remaining 2 T. white balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, honey, oil and salt in large bowl. Add kale, currants and pine nuts, toss to coat. Let marinate 20 minutes at room temperature, tossing occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese shavings over salad and serve.

Note: BA says this serves 6 - 8 and to choose kale with small leaves that are more tender than large ones. On a personal note, I've never had raw kale but see no reason why it shouldn't taste good. What do y'all think?
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7423197

tomatofreak , no I really can't say that I have found any kale in the grocery stores that is not curly that is why I like to grow my own, one kale I am interested in growing would be the dinosaur kale, it is supposed to be an anual, it never sets flowers so you can use it year long and is supposed to be very sweet, the only problem is space I don't have much now and these things get huge. I am trying to grow a blue wrinkled kale as well we will see how this one does. I'll have to try this reacipe it looks really good. I've had the red russian one raw and it is really good I like to put it in salads as well.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

January 3, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7423280

ah...I see my mistake. I didn't understand "overlap'... I will know next time. I used Dinosaur Kale..I really like it! I only make one cookie sheet of it...so used the rest, added garlic and cooked it. YUM.

That salad sounds interesting...would be good with spinach too!
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7423387

Aloha how do you like the dinosaur kale, I've heard that it grows pretty big doesn't it?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

January 3, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7423608

Not so big as really rough looking...and blue green. I love it. Will post a picture this afternoon...
luv2wok
Dutchess Counnty, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7423992

Just came across this thread. Substitute kale (any kind) for the Bok Choi in the recipe AlohaHoya posted on December 11. Remove the ribs from the kale and shred or coarsely chop the leaves. Taste as you cook to find the finished texture you like, you may need to add some broth or water to prevent burning.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America