Photo by Melody

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: Cricut vs Sizzix dies - Your Opinion?

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 15, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7351547

Over the years, I've invested a ton of money in sizzix dies. I have 100's. Last year I bought a Cricut and lots of cartridges, so now my cartridges will cut many of the same shapes and letters that my Sizzix will. I'm wondering if I'll regret getting rid of my Sizzix collection. I know I'll keep a few dies that I can't cut on my Cricut, but I'd really like to clear out some space in my art room, so I plan to get rid of over 100 of them.

Have any of you gotten rid of your sizzix stuff only to regret it? Are there any dies that you've hung onto because they don't make a Cricut cartridge for it, like the halloween dies? (WHY are they taking so long to make a Halloween/fall cartridge? They have two Christmas cartridges and not one Halloween one yet, and Halloween parties make some of the best pages to scrapbook.)

So what advice can you give me before I do something I may regret later?

NancyAnn

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tau10
Federal Way, WA

December 21, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7388404

I put on my wish-list a Cricut Die-utter, and thought about selling my Sizzix machine if I did get one, but now I will not because my favorite supplier of art/craft products Tim Holtzs has designed a new Sizzix machine, die-cuts and embossing folders, so if the new Die-cuts work with my Sizzix machine I will not sell it, not to mention I can still use it for the embossing. Needless to say I am hanging on to mine, I thin Jan 14 is when the new products are unveiled.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #7388516

I kept my Big Shot because it's bigger than the Original Sizzix Machine and some dies only work in the roller machines, like the Big Shot. I also have Sizzix Embossing folders and embossing plates which I can use in the Big Shot. Like you, I'll keep it for the embossing.

I have culled out about half of my dies since my cricut will cut most of them. But I was thinking maybe some of the shape dies I'd keep (like the hearts, circles, etc) for cutting out photos. I know the Cricut can cut heart shaped photos, but I'm not good at that and thought I might ruin a lot of photos that way. With the dies, I can place the photo right where I want it and cut. Easy! But many of themed dies will be so much easier on the Cricut. I can also do multiples quite easily--just set it to 10 and walk away.

Did you know you can cut contact paper with the cricut too? I read somewhere that you can make weatherproof lettering for signs or whatever with the contact paper. Haven't tried it yet.

If you're getting a cricut, I hope you get the Expressions--the bigger cricut. If you get anything smaller, you won't be satisfied for long. The Expressions will hold up to 12 x 24 paper while the smaller cricut only holds up to 6 x 24. I hope Santa is good to you! My cricut was my Christmas present to myself last year.
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

December 22, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7390706

Butterfly,

I'll be happy if it'd the small one as I don't make really big dies, I like working on a smaller scale; besides if Tim's new machine i as good as I think I'll probably add that to my collection, if not there is a machine that works without the need for a mat, and on the computer. I can't remember the name, but I'm searching for it so I'll post it when I get the name.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #7390759

Tau, some of the bigger dies contain several small dies in one die. The Dressups Medical Professional and the Fishing Outfit contain several designs on each die. And then there are the ornate frames that come in the Bigz dies that I love. Some of the designs I like are not on the smaller dies.

I probably won't buy too many more dies though. I'm really enjoying the cricut and just added four new cartridges to my collection. I wish they'd come out with a Halloween die. The "Speaking of Fall" cartridge has a few pumpkins and some leaves. And the Paper Dolls cartridge has a spooky house and witch. But I'd really like a cartridge with loads of Halloween designs. I love scrapping Halloween parties. They keep inventing different Christmas and winter cartridges, but no Halloween. What's up with that?

The embossing plates I have for my sizzix won't fit the original sizzix. They're too big, thus the further need for the Big Shot. I have quite a few of them and they'll do about a 5 x 7 sheet of paper I think. I really like being able to emboss an entire mat before adhering a photo to it.

How big is Tim Holtz machine? Will it handle the Bigz dies?
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

December 22, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7391076

Butterfly,

I don't know how big it is, but on Sizzix they announced the will introduce the new machine Jan. 15, so have a look on their website, or keep checking Tim's blog in case he puts up something first. For the Sizzix I only have a one die set and alphabetic set. It it too bad they don't all fit, which is why I asked for a Cricut for Christmas. If the dies are too big I just punch down on part of it and feed the die through, it works; a bit of a pain, but it does some out if you are careful not to move it. It's kind of like the computer business, you know they had the capabilities to put in more memory, more gigs are hard drives, but this way they get people to buy new laptops/computers more often. It's all about the money, they used to make things that last, but with high tech comes a price, i love the LCD TV's, but we watch a lot of TV so after two years we had to buy a bulb or whatever you call the part that makes the picture(kind of like the old tube TV's). It didn't cost us anything because we bought the warrenty, otherwise the part would have been $750, well now days you an buy big TV's for that price, but it the TV is added waste to the landfill if you don't recycle it.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7391138

The Bigz dies will not fit in the original sizzix. They are a few inches too wide, so there's no way you could feed one thru. I didn't know that when I bought them, so when I discovered it, I just went ahead and bought the Big Shot.

I'm happy with the cricut and one cartridge will do so much! So I won't be looking for any other die cutting machines. It gets expensive buying so many different ones and all the gadgets for them, doesn't it? I got a good deal on the Big Shot and the embossing plates for it. So between it and my Cricut Expressions, I'm all set. I'm just hoping I don't regret giving up some of these dies. It's so much easier to just punch one out if I only need one or two. But if I need 10, it's easier to set the cricut to do it for me. I've culled out about 100 dies so far, and most of those I can cut on the Cricut.

When you get your cricut, you'll probably want a jukebox for it too. You can plug 6 cartridges into your jukebox and hook the jukebox to the cricut. Then you don't have to swap out cartridges all the time. You can hook up to 3 jukeboxes together to have easy access to 18 cartridges. My 3 are full. And I love the convenience of just selecting the button that corresponds to the cartridge. I hope you get your Cricut for Christmas. You'll love it.

NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7429545

Possibly they make more dies with the Christmas theme because holiday cards are universally exchanged, but relatively few people send Halloween cards? Of course, I understand that the die cuts are used for scrapbooking, too, and Halloween is tailor made for picture taking.

In answer to your original question, maybe you could give your Sizzix dies to someone with more space but a small budget (and then you can always borrow them back).

ButterflyChaser has a good point in that you have more control over cutting photos with the Sizzix.

Denise
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7430179

I can't afford to "give away" the sizzix dies. I spent a fortune on them and some are now very valuable, worth more now than when I bought them. If I sell them, I can buy more cricut cartridges. I did give a few to my sister to get her started, but she lives in another state, so it would be hard to borrow them back.

I really want the space I'm clearing out by eliminating the sizzix stuff. You can see just the dies take up two "kitchen" cabinets. My cricut cartridges are neatly stacked in four Jukeboxes and take up very little space.

I have written the company and asked that they make a halloween cartridge. They're the same company that made all the halloween Sizzix dies, so it makes no sense to me that they haven't made one already. Just last year, they released a bunch of new Halloween dies, which of course I had to have. So I'm hanging onto those until I get a Halloween cartridge.

I decided if I needed to crop a photo in a particular shape, I just cut a stencil with the Cricut, trace it onto a photo and cut it out. I rarely crop photos in shapes, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I really love that the tiny cartridges contain around 50 or more shapes that I can cut in all sizes. With the dies, each one cuts only one shape in one size and take up more space. I'm really trying to reduce "clutter" and make my space more neat and organized. I have so many dies now that it just seems overwhelming and they just aren't as functional as the cartridges. So I think I've made up my mind to get rid of most of them. I've already sold a few, and I haven't missed them yet. I don't think I will as long as I have a cricut cartridge with the same shape.

Thanks for all your input. I think I've made up my mind...I think...

NancyAnn
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7570842

Bottom line... hand held or computerized...which is easier for you?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7571554

Both are easy for me. The bottom line for me became space. The sizzix dies take up too much space. I'm keeping only a few and am selling the rest. My cricut supplies take up very little space in comparison and are much more versatile. So the cricut won. I'm moving away from scrapbooking and back into oil painting, so I want to use my "scrapbook room" for my painting. I'll still scrapbook some, but I've gotten almost all my photos scrapbooked now, so it will just be a matter of keeping up with new family events.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #8280838

I would think that between cartridges and the Sure Cuts A Lot software you would be able to find anything you'd need. I only have about 6-8 cartridges but I'm already finding most of what I need/want just browsing free SVG sites.
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #8280914

[quote="araness"]I would think that between cartridges and the Sure Cuts A Lot software you would be able to find anything you'd need. I only have about 6-8 cartridges but I'm already finding most of what I need/want just browsing free SVG sites.[/quote]

What are SVG sites?
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #8281078

an svg is a scalable vector graphics based on xml. with the right software you can use it instead of a cartridge for the Cricut, wishblade etc. Saves tons of money.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #8281106

I haven't used any of the svg sites since I don't use my Cricut often anymore. But I did discover that with SCAL I could use any of the fonts I have stored on my computer. Recently my sister wanted me to cut out some letters for an Ohio State University project she wanted to do. I was able to download just the right font so the lettering looked just like she wanted them. I'll no longer buy font cartridges.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8281122

I think I have about 1400 or so fonts available and well as several thousand wingding. I've had fun (but kinda ticked at myself too) finding lots of the same images I'd find on cartridges for free on the svg websites I've been to. Unless they come out with something very cartridge specific that I have an order for I don't think I'll purchase more cartridges unless they are a lot cheaper than the 20-80$ they are now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America