Computer Died?

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

We had a power outage during a snowstorm and now my computer won't turn on. Did it possibly get fried during a power surge when the power came back on? Is there any hope for it to be repaired?

Thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Have you tried plugging something else into that electrical outlet to see if the outlet itself is working? That's what I'd check first. Also...do you have it plugged into a surge protector?

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a power strip with 5 other plugs plugged in. Everything else works....

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Have you tried plugging the computer into one of the other spots in the power strip that you know works? Kind of a long shot but worth trying if you haven't. If it is fried I don't know enough to tell you what the odds are of being able to fix it, hopefully someone else will know more about that.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Is this a laptop or a desktop? Do any lights show on the computer when powering it up? It could be a monitor/video card issue instead of a computer issue or possibly a power supply issue. Even if it is the computer it could be memory or a hard drive problem.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Desktop....nothing lights up....monitor works, speakers work, computer just won't start up....no lights or powering up....

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you hear a fan whirring when you put power to it? It really sounds like a power supply issue which can be easily replaced. Do as ecrane mentioned and plug into another outlet to rule out the power strip although I doubt this is the problem.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

And go out and get you a really good surge protector - the ones that cost about $50 and include a guarantee to replace any equipment fried. I like the ones that also include a backup battery so you have time to safely shut down the computer during an outage. I learned the hard way when lightning struck the power pole across the road a few years ago. It killed our tv, nearly every lightbulb in the house, all of the not so hefty surge protectors in the house and the modem in my computer.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm back. It was the power supply....my IT guy at work fixed it for me. What a relief!

I did go buy another surge protector....guarantees up to 100K if anything plugged into it is damaged.

Thanks for all the input!

Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images