Photo by Melody

Article: Growing Osteospermum, The African Daisy: Fall flower?

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Osteospermum, The African Daisy
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing Osteospermum, The African DaisyReplies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
waltwego
Elgin, IL

December 10, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7355237

Someone gave me this plant this past spring. I potted it in a large pot with other plants. Didn't bloom at all over the summer. What an odd plant, I thought. It got very leggy, 3 ft tall. Finally, after the first frost in October I got a single bloom. Lucklily we had a warm November and I had a few more blooms by December. After 6 months I want to see some more results. I drug the large pot inside now to see what happens. The blooms do last a long time and they make great cut flowers - especially in December! What was a disappointment, is now a pleasant surprise.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7355255

They do best in cool weather so if you can keep it through the worst part of the winter, you should be pleased with it come spring. I'd trim it back good when I set it back out. (root the cuttings for more plants)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Osteospermum, The African Daisy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks! CaptMicha 5 May 6, 2008 3:01 AM
African daisies nugemk22 6 Jul 21, 2011 5:33 AM
I have these as my screen saver! Bookerc1 1 Jul 22, 2010 12:57 PM
Favorite new flower for me. HollyAnnS 1 Nov 15, 2008 6:33 PM
creeping phlox/biennial or prennial ? MARYBEA 1 Jun 14, 2010 12:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America