Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: THE GPS 8 - The Glorified Potting Shed!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 33, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7355427

We came from here...the GPS 7

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055573/#new

OK, we have marked our calenders, made our lists, check them twice x 100 and are off and running.. ha! Im going to the house its too cold to winter sow!

Zooom...brrrrr! Aaaah, house plants

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061641/

Less of course your party hardy...then go here! Soups on at the cafe...or is it?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060757/

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7355508

Ok, im sitting here in my office.. going down lists.. Who ever invented lists must have thought toidy paper was unending. My lists never end. The waste basket is also full of finished chores, but the lists onmy desktop keep growing. Whoever thought they could just get by with a PC.. nope, I got paper lists too! Is it me or am I just a mess! LOL!

Well anyway, got a pile of plant packets to file. Guess I will do that first

Then have a bunch of 4" pots I put seed packets into and need to run down those to maaaake sure they are logged.

So thats my projects for today other than Christmas cards, Christmas shopping and the usual.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #7355662

Just got back from fitness class. Going to work on my journels a little longer until it warms up so more so I can go to the GH and start the first of my WS.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7357252

Well I got the shopping part done. Took parcels to the PO and well I had a list of plants here on my GPS8 thread, but apparently lost it on the re-boot. Shoot, now I have to list those again. I think I will do that tomorrow.

Got caught up on my threads and need to catch up on emails now.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #7358246

Caught up?...what's that?

I'm STILL journeling plant inventory...ACK! Still have 3-4 pages(back and front) and then search for and download pictures that I have in picture file...ACK! Time consuming on dail-up.

Need to make a couple of dolls for youngest DGD and DGGD...need to paint the kitchen...need to re-surface livingroom walls...need to FINALLY make curtains for computer room,I've only had the material for about 5 yrs...need to make some more crafts for next years market...WSing commenced yesterday. Need to mix up more seed starting mix but it's COLD out there. Wasn't too bad in the GH yesterday but I have to stand outside to mix up the seed starting mix.

Gripe-gripe-gripe...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #7358537

I think I found my evil twin! LOL!
Dang it.. gotta work on that list again but first have to clean som eof the house. Done laundry, critter chores and now, time for a bite.

Oh peat...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #7358926

NO sur ...yer the evil twin...I'm the good twin*G*
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7359069

Well, then whos dat lady on da puter??! BAAANG!

Eeh SEES, ees an hambush! LOL!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2009
7:31 AM

Post #7361030

Bigred - I was thinking of wintersowing this year for the first time. I am collecting milk jugs and such. What is in your seed starting mix?

I have lists too - some gets done, others don't. But without them, I would never remember anything.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #7361154

Evil Twin...er-um...BB,I do not know what yer talkin 'bout...*G*

soil,
I mix my own because I use so much but basically it's just peat,medium grade vermucilite,lime and super phosphate for seeds and I had compost to it for larger plants.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #7361261

YOu put pete in thar?

OK,,, stooooopid question... how do you get the plants out of the jugs?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #7361264

Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7361487

I don't use no stinkin' jugs...and you,my dear have bacon on the brain...LOL

I wanna ham for Christmas even though we have 3 more turkeys in the freezer.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7361865

Im not cooking. Im makin him take me to the trough.

Bacon neither.

Well see thar Pete, much eazier to do the egg cartons. Jugs just dont cut it!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #7363973

When I start running out of bench space in the GH I will use some of my bigger pots(5-6 inch)for community sewing of plants that don't mind be sperated and repotted...but no jugs. I don't set seeded containers out in the open because of squirrels and 6 millon dogs and cats that roam the neighborhood.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #7364052

Well, I dont use jugs either.. I see too much issue with getting the plants out of them.. My hands have enough problems.

Soooo well any way, we got rain today. Lots of yummy mushy rain! Beats the heck out of snow unless yer a horse standing 4 feet in manure. Glad mine are cozy.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #7373175

Hi Blossom - from what I have read in the winter sowing forum, you cut the milk jugs just below the carrying handle, and leave a tab so that the top half can be placed back over the bottom half and act like a mini greenhouse. So, it is very easy to get the plants out. There was a lot of entries discussing the virtues of the various types of containers to used for winter sowing, and hands down, those one-gallon milk jugs were the favorites. But, there are fans of all different kinds of containers.

Bigred - have you had negative experience with the jugs? I am collecting various containers now - have not done any actual planting yet. I have seeds from more than 10 years ago - figure I have nothing to lose by trying them out, and if they don't grow, at least I would have gotten rid of some clutter. LoL.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009 1:29 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #7373195

Aaaah soils, thanks you for explaining that. I was wondering! Guess I missed that and that does make sense!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #7373771

Well, its too cold in here today so there wil be no winter sowing for a bit. Must go water house plants. Last night it looked like the coleus, dianthus and snaps and a few others need trimming. Everything in the GPS is froze.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7384476

soil,
I have a greenhouse and grow for farmers market so no jugs needed.

As you can see...I've been a busy winter sowing bee this week. All the way down to where you see the white on the end of the bench. I'm done with eveything excepte annuals. Won't sow those until March.

Thumbnail by bigred

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #7385009

Red, how big is that thang? I am sooo jealous!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #7385756

Wow - that is a lot of sowing. Are you using shallow trays? Do you sell the seedlings at the farmers market too, or just the cut flowers when they bloom? you must have a huge garden too. My goal is to winter sow about 8 of the milk jugs - peanuts compared to yours and BB's plantings. Roughly, what are the proportions of peat to vermiculite to lime and superphosphate do you use?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7386133

Soils, um, my garden area covers nearly three acres plus and that is not including the weed patch out back...LOL! Dont let the 8x16 fool you in what it can put out. I also have a 100x25 hoop house in the makings along wiht a 25x25 that is up but both need plastic. NOthing quite like what red has.

This is why I call the GPS my GLORIFIED POTTING SHED, becasue basically that is what it is. To me, it is my potting shed!

I used to work in a greenhouse facility that had nearly 25 acres under plastic..! So now with that in mind, you can call mine peanuts! I have 25 acres, but not all that is under "glass"! LOL!

BTW. Merry Christmas!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2009
10:27 AM

Post #7387185

That's my $100.00 Wally World GH.It's about 20x40.Sometimes it's not big enough. I really can't do any more seeds because it's now full until I can start setting stuff back out on the display area and free up some more bench space.

soils,
I grow potted ornamentals and some herbs for market and only a few cuts. Most people don't seem to be to big on cuts in Arkansas...bunch of backward hillbillies...LOL

for seed starting:
1-3.8 cu. bale of peat
4 gallons of med grade perlite
1/2 cup super phosphate
4 tablespoons of garden lime
5-6 shovels full of sifted compost

potting up larger plants I add 15-20 shovels full of compost(un-sifted)...roll up my sleeves and mix

This message was edited Dec 22, 2009 5:37 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7387743

ya want that I should straighten those hillbullies out? LOL!

Um.. you mean sifted dint you?

I gotta run down to the hardware and get a bag of potting dirt.. my stuff in the GPS is frooooze! Just cut some coleus...and have a few impatien cuttings to try. Yeah like I got room in the house...now I know why I dint put up the big tree fer national scrooge day.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #7390130

yeah...sifted...some times my fingers get ahead of my brain.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #7390146

oooooh shifty fingers eh!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #7390147

and eyes
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #7390174

Purrrre eve-vial! LOL!

So ok, we got about an inch of the white stuff. THeeeir talking sleety rainy yuk... not good for travel weather. So I will be skating outside to the barn to do chores. Ya'd think I would be a super skater by now with all the experience we get year round. I swear one day that BLOB is gonna get 86'ed.

I got a bag of Potting soil yesterday and was gonna try to make some newb coleus cuttings.. but the soil was froze in the bag and my my cuttings are kaputz.

I have not cut the impatiens yet... maybe I can scrape enough dirt out of that bag later today to do at least do a 6 pak or 2. Be about all I need.

Just not a happy camper.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7405429

Well, the bag of pottubg soil finally defrosted and so I dumped it into a couple of buckets and put in my trash bin in the kitchen.. now I wuill have some dirt to play wiht if I get any more cuttings to make. or seed to sow.

Tonite it is sposed to be 6 degrees.. nasty

This afternoon when I checked in the GPS I had a couple of pansys blooming, but the pansys had fallend flat against the dirt so I think maybe they are going dormant.

Still have some pumkins to get seed out of. Been feeding them to the chickens and they love them. The yolks in the eggs have gone a tad darker too!

I am getting some 4" pots ready to sow seed in.. here is a list of the plants I hope to put in them

2 Hosta - (stilletto x seedling)
2 hosta - (Chrstmas tree x seedling)
2 rudbeckia - Cherokee Sunset
2 flowering kale
Sweet peas - north shore
Sweet Peas - Captain of the blues
Sweet peas - old spice
Sweet peas - spencer
2 Pansies - antique shades
2Viola - fuji dawn
Lysmanchia autrpurpurea
nycotiana - lime tree
coreopsis - sea shells

mixed zeranthemum
caryoptirsis divaricata
millet - purple majesty
trillium
2 digitalis - apricot
2 diditalis milk chocolate
2 basalm
2 mexican hat - red and yellow

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #7406196

Except for a few things,I'm done sowing until March.

I don't want to mess with cuttings while it's cold but I do have trimmings from my begonias in water,rooting.Begonias start looking leggy this time of year so I cut them back and can't make myself toss out the cuttings.

I'm trying red pussytoes from seed this year. I bought a plant last year,kept it in the greenhouse until like late May before planting it out then we had all those monsoons and it drown in the flooding.~~~~~~~~~~$:>(

I've already sown my digitalis:Milk Chocolate,d.obscrua,d.trojana and Flashing Spires.Saving my millets for March sowing.Too cold for balsam yet but I do have Blackberry Trifle and Peppermint Stick to sow in March. March is when I start all my annuals and I have TONS of annuals to do this year. Since we're not doing the vegetable gardens for market this year,I'm going to invest the time I normally would on that back into my yard so I need tons of pretty annuals to brighten it up.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #7406572

Late March early April is my outdoor sowing in the GPS.. I do start some in the house, but often without any luck. I like gettign the taters in in mid March though as that alwasy seems to put out the best crop here depending on the wet.

I hear you on investing back on yourself. I have several beds that need improvements on. I plan on doing a lot of containers with annuals and veggies again this year. Try some new stuff.

The food I raise is plant a row stuff so all excess goes to the food pantries or those we know in need. Im trying to do cut florwers for shut ins this year. Got a list of folks and I hope to tie in with the meals on wheels program and to make some bunches for that.

Well it is most definetiely colder today. My toes froze doing chores this morning so I need to thaw out a bit. Get me a cuppa and as soon as my face starts working down something to eat myself.

See ya at the cafe!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #7456884

Well, heres what January inside the GPS here looks like.. All the plants are brown and dead or dormant...

Time to start a new GPS 9, will be back with the link.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7456928

Time to move on, start the new year and a new thread..

We are going here>>>!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1068990/

Grab yer hat and coat, and a cuppa...

(_)?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America