Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Winter socks

Madison, WI

I have learned to knit from my mom but never really finished anything until this year.
I started by knitting some warm socks for myself and my son. Here's my pair.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

They are white and really toasty. I am quite happy with them and am planning on knitting another pair but fancier now that I am sure I know how to do it :)

Thumbnail by enya_34
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Those are great. You did a wonderful job!

Madison, WI

Thank you. And here's my son's pair. It's fancier and cashmere not wool. He loves the feel of them and does not really care about the look.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

I made them pretty high for his boots. After trying his on I am thinking
about knitting a pair for cashmere socks for myself.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oooooh fancy, and they must be so comfortable!

Madison, WI

They are - light and very warm. The pattern seems fancy but is very simple.
I got it from the Interweave site - seduction socks. The seduction part is actually in the yarn. I am definitely making myself a pair :)
Here's the URL for the pattern.
http://www.interweaveknits.com/freepatterns/pdf/spr_07/Seduction_socks.pdf

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Really nice work! I have a pair of socks for myself on the needles but am finishing up some presents first....I need more knitting time!

Madison, WI

I knit when I watch TV, especially when my son really wants to watch Bionicle:The legend reborn yet another time with me :)

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I knew there was something we had in common.
You are a cheese head and I love cheese curds.LOL My co-worker brought me a bag back from the Cheese Castle after Thanksgiving.

Your knitting is beautiful.And those socks look real warm.

Lavina

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I can't seem to get the link to come up. I would love to see it. Is there a different way?

Love the socks.

Jeanette

Madison, WI

Jeanette,
The link is to a pdf file with instructions. You can find images by searching Google with 'seduction socks' or
go to Interweave site and look through their free patterns.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I did get it enya, Thanks. I have ordered some yarn. My daughter is trying her first at felting so I have been reading up on it. She just felted her first project, a tote bag. She says she really likes the way it turned out. She is 400 miles away so she sent me pics via email. It did turn out nice.

Have any of you tried felting?

Jeanette

Madison, WI

I did a tiny project about a year ago - a pouch for a pearl necklace. Finished size is 2"x4".
It felt really nice to the touch. Lately I've done quite a bit of reading about felting but have not
done any projects. Would like to do another simple, practical, and small-scale project but don't
have an idea yet. It would be great to see what other people accomplished with felting.
It's really inspirational to see the work of others.

Right now I have really caught the sock bug and am trying various styles. At the moment
I have a toe-up version on my needles :)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

enya, are the socks bulky in your shoes? I know the thread is finer, but seems like they might be.

Madison, WI

The white ones I knitted for my son's winter boots. They are bulky. He does wear them at home instead of slippers sometimes. The lavender ones are really soft and quite thin. Actually they are thinner than the white cotton socks for the snickers. I used 1.5mm needles for the lavender socks and 3mm for the white ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.