Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: Winter blahs(and its not even winter!)-share your pics!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 218, Views: 1,652
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #7358753

I'm finding myself already longing for spring, and immersing myself in the pics of blooms and lush foliage from warm sunny days. Lets share those special shots, and recall the feeling of seeing that first Daffodil open in late winter, or that sniff of the first Rose bloom of the season.

So share those special shots of your gardens, and tell us what you recall about that day!

On this day, when this pic was taken, I was particularly happy to see well distributed color in this bed (I call it the "pink bed"). From where I was standing, the scent of cloves was heavy in the air from the pink Dianthus that you can just see at the top of the pic. It was pure joy to see the 'Erfurt' Roses in bloom with that Clematis and the Mock Orange for the first time.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7358798

Asiatic and LA hybrid Lilies were in full swing on this June morning. Looking out over the pink bed, I was enjoying the unexpected surprise of seeing those Easter egg colors together, that I hadn't considered when planting the beds. The yellow and white blooms are in an area comprised of 3 beds, planted in all yellows, blues and whites. The baby's breath-like little blooms of Geranium pyrethicum that form a cloud at the base of the Lilies, as well as the slightly filmy haze in the photo, made this picture remind me of some magical fairy realm, and of some of the scenes in the movie, 'The Secret Garden'.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7358820

This was taken the same day as the first photo, standing on the other side of the huge Mock Orange in the pink bed. I was loving the first color showing from that pink Peony, my first blooms from the blue Columbine I'd wintersown the year before, and the beginnings of a glorious show from the tall Siberian Iris from Polly :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7358862

This view made me extra happy that day, as I hadn't realized I would be able to see the butterfly garden, the beds at the rear entry to the house (which is the main entrance), and the lower beds of the front yard from the same spot. Those layers of color made me feel like a child on Christmas morning!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7359084

Been looking through some spring pics, building excitement for those early bulbs that so effectively color up the garden in those first warm days. Daffodils and Tulips in the yellow, blue, and white area in the pic above, where I've had trouble getting all 3 colors at the same time. Last spring it went from all yellow and white blooms, to all blue and white blooms, till finally early summer hit and I finally saw it come together. Some clearance bulbs are due in next week, I'm planning to rectify that problem with some 'Sky Jacket' Hyacinths, various Muscari, Scilla, Chionodoxa, and Iris reticulata.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #7361451

I love Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate (Periscaria orientalis) arching over other flowers. And the rich scent of the trumpet Lilies makes being in the garden all the better.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #7362913

Gemini, you have such beautiful flower beds and color combinations. They show the love and care that you give them. Thanks for the lovely photos.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #7364214

Thank you, Stormy! And please share your lovely pics too :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #7364287

Gemini, What is that tall blue flower behind the pole in your last photo?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #7364331

Those are Bachelor Buttons (Centaurea cyanus). They reseed themselves yearly :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7364360

Oh gosh, look at those gorgeous eremus. I've tried twice to grow them and each time ended up feeding the voles!! I may try again next year. I love Cleopatra.

I used to grow Centaurea Montana. Loved the blooms, hated the foliage. I've been toying with the idea of using it again. They gave a very long period of bloom.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7364868

Beautiful Gardens Gemeni
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7365054

Stormy, those are 'Spring Valley Hybrids" from Brent and Becky's, and they have been great performers. They love a site that is dry and well drained, but seem otherwise happy in any sunny spot. I lucked upon them during one of their 1/2 off sales a few years ago, and this year snagged 'Lemon Meringue' on sale. I had vole issues at my last garden, but they must have preferred Lilies over the Eremurus, LOL.

Thanks, gen! I'd love to see your garden pics too :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7365159

Thoughts of sunny yellow, on a gray, wet day.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #7365232

Thanks, Gemini. That's a nice yellow and red lily. What is it's name? In that same photo, what is the tall plant with the large foliage?
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #7365314

Gemini, As my beds are mostly shady, I don't have a lot of great bloom shots. Here are Astilbe blooming among my Heuchera & Hosta. In the far back are really tall OT lilies that grey over 9' and bloomed later.

Thumbnail by stormyla

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7365497

Oh, I love Astilbe! They were so lush and happy in my last garden, in a moist, woodland environment. They haven't been so happy here, in a dryer area and we had droughts the first 2 years I lived here. I remember all too well the difficulty in keeping color in the shady garden.

That is an OT Lily from the American series, I believe it's American Heritage. The large foliage is Verbascum thapsus (Mullein), that grows wild here. I allow a seedling or two to remain in that bed each year for its stately presence. This year, 1 of the 2 of them suddenly looked really cruddy and dried up, just a foot or two from the other. You can see it right in the middle of this shot. The American Heritage are budding to the right of the photo, and those blooming are American Spirit from the same series.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7365557

Wow, The larkspur are so pretty with the poppies. I have a number of the American Series lilies. They perform very well here. I have some much smaller, more tame cultivated Mullein.

The lilies always brighten up the shady beds and will even survive here under the Black Walnuts.

Thumbnail by stormyla

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #7365623

Thank you so much for this thread Gemini! Today was so wet and cold, I'm already lusting for spring. I love to see other's gardens and both of yours are beautiful! Here's a late May pic that gives me the itch to just be able to go prune in March. 3 more months...sigh

Thumbnail by venu209

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #7365670

Jan, Another Poppy lover!! What's the name of that pretty Iris?
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7365842

Stormy, is your question regarding the picture I put up? My name is not Jan, maybe you have me confused with another Jersey girl named Jan? My name is Louise, but since there a few of those roaming around, I'm known as Weeze :)

If your question is for me, I do not know the cultivar of Iris. I have had it for years and years, before I started keeping track of plants. I love Poppies. I wish I had more sunny areas for them. Their display is short lived but worth every splendid second.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7365938

Louise, i'm sorry, momentary brain blip! Yes, I did confuse you with Jersey Jan. She'd get a kick out of being called that. Louise, your photos are always so beautiful. Louise, it's funny, I am very sun challenged, but I keep finding more places to plant poppies!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #7366440

Great thread Gemini -

I too am missing Summer and being out in the garden. I spend a lot of my time going through the garden pictures I have takekn over the last couple of years...

Gorgeous pictures of everyone's gardens.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #7366495

Great pics Neal, cottage garden for sure. Are those batchelor buttons as tall as they look? They look huge. I love your gardens, just beautiful.

Lovely beds, Mary, those astilbes are stunning.

Louise, your garden is wonderful. Those poppies are fantastic! I'm going to try some this year.

What a great garden you have there, Carolyn.

I don't have too many large garden shots, will have to get more, but here's one.

Thumbnail by pollyk

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #7366510

Spring lilacs, can't you just smell them?

Thumbnail by pollyk

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7366523

Spirea, scilla, and of course, sibs.

Thumbnail by pollyk

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7366544

Hydrangea border. Didn't notice the dead plant in a pot, sorry bout that.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2009 11:10 PM

Thumbnail by pollyk

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #7366559

Last picture for tonight. This is the same area as the first picture I posted. The miscanthus is now 8 ft tall.

Thumbnail by pollyk

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #7366608

This is a nice thread to visit, this time of year. It will shorten winter a bit. I miss my garden too.
Very lovely gardens you all have.
I took this picture, to help me remember, where things are and what can be added or changed, come spring. It's at the back of the property

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #7366621

That's beautiful Polly. Love the grasses.

This is part of the pond area.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #7366629

This is the pond garden, still some work to be done at the other end of it.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #7366648

Hosta Blue Cadet around a crabapple tree.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
7:20 AM

Post #7366822

Great summer gardens all. Good therapy while the wind howls and snows fall...Here's a pleasant slice from my garden last summer -

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
7:22 AM

Post #7366825

I'm really into lilies and rudbeckias.

Thumbnail by jmorth

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
10:41 AM

Post #7366973

Great pics everyone.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #7367174

No problem Stormy, I've done it myself! Everyone's gardens are great. Keep them coming.

The cat loves roaming through plants, but shows great disdain for the camera.

Thumbnail by venu209

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7367189

Its a beauty
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7367214

Thanks Jo Ann. He adopted us last year;)

A little Hosta retreat.

Thumbnail by venu209

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #7367270

So many glorious pics to wake up to this morning! Thank you all so much for sharing!

Stormy, I love those Lilies with the chartreuse Hosta- such a bright pairing to bring light to the shade!

Weeze, that Iris, Rose, and Salvia are a gorgeous combination! Don't ya just love it when a group of plants marry so beautifully!

Carolyn, your Agastache, Veronica, and Clematis (I think) are a wonderful combination! I think I see Lilies budding in there too,- so lovely. I can't think of the name of that kind of Clematis with the nodding heads (seems like it starts with a v?), but I love them- they're so graceful looking.

Polly, thanks so much! Yep, that is the Bachelor Buttons- they're about 3 1/2-4' tall, and probably look taller due to the lay of the land. Gardening on this hill, I've found the usual method of tall stuff in back, short stuff in front, doesn't seem to work as well. From the house and porches, I'm looking either down hill at the beds or they're elevated from my vantage point, so I kinda work in various heights through the beds. I'm a glutton for the look of many layers of color and texture, it makes it fun to view the beds from various angles. And your gardens are SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!! Such pleasing textures and echoes of cool colors, and the surrounding natural landscape is such a gorgeous backdrop for your gardens. I'd love to sit in the middle of that wall of Lilacs- the scent must be Heavenly!

burn, lovely gardens! That's a sweet design for the pond garden area. In your 2nd pic that shows the edge of the pond, there is a bright golden orange bloom, what is that?

jmorth, your "pleasant slice" is such an appropriate way to say it- reminds me of slices of melon with berries, scrumptious combination! I had my first real success with Rudbeckias this year, and I'm hooked. They just can't be beat for sunny, dry areas. I need to try some doubles like you have there, and the Crocosmia budding in the middle is a nice touch :-)

This patch of Rudbeckias blew me away- I couldn't believe they bloomed so heavily the first year from seed. Polly, do you see the Daylily in the middle of them? That's one of the heirlooms you sent :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7367285

Lovely, venu! And what a perfectly posed putty! What is that foliage in front of the Hostas?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7367298

I look at all your wonderful pictures and have to remind myself (as I look at my barren yard) that next year I will have the start of a beautiful garden to. I'm laying out the flower beds, spreading newspaper, cardboard, straw and leaves to prepare for the spring plant. I wish I could afford to have a landscaper come in and bring in tons of manure, but will just have to do what I can. I'm also preparing an area for composting. Using the techiques suggested by Dave's garden members for strawbale and lasagna gardening, I hope to have most of the 1/2 acre ready to plant. Once I finish this yard I get to move next door and start on that 1/2 acre. Most of the second 1/2 acre will be roses, esp OGR and climbers in the trees. Til than I'll keep enjoying your garden pictures. Thanks for brightening up my days.
Mary
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7367320

Leaving the kitchen door is always a thrill in June and July when this is my greeting:

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #7367336

What a thrill Pirl
Mary!!! Be patient with the new gardens.I made a layeres spot and didnt wait longenough to start planting.
It was horrible digging thru sod.

Thumbnail by ge1836

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #7367339

Mary, that's how I installed most of my beds too, with the newspaper, cardboard, and organic material- it works beautifully, I'll never go back to double digging! OGRs are a great choice here in Kentucky, I grow very few modern roses any more. What kinds of trees are you growing climbers on?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7367350

Lazagna is the way to go.I took the above pic in March and started planting in late April.Never again( and besides DD says no more gardens)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #7367366

Both lots maple trees on them. Plus one pine tree and a baby oak. One lot has two old apple trees that my sister says are dead. She wants to remove them. I want to grow roses or clematis on them. We are discussing it. BUT!!! As I am the one doing the gardening and work, I will win the discussion!!! Ha!ha!
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7367410

Carolyn, your shot is very nice. Love that white Agastache with the veronica. Veronica is a plant I keep overlooking. Thanks for the idea.

Polly, Your Lilacs smell even through this computer!! Your Hydrangeas border is just beautiful. Does it stay all white all summer long? Gemini is right, the overall effect of your gardens is serene and peaceful

Burn, Your gardens and pond are very colorful and lovely. That tall dark hedge makes a wonderful background for showcasing your vibrant blooms. Love the birdhouse.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7367438

jmorth, your photos and plantings are always spectacular. What is that green foliage growing in the center of your lilies?

Weeze, lovely Kitty. What is the green backdrop behind him? Love that green & yellow Hosta.

Gemini, That Rudbeckia & Lilies just reeks of sunshine. It must have been quite an experience for you to switch to your wonderful sunny gardens after shade gardening. Your enthusiasm for it definitely shows in all of your plantings. I have the opposite experience.

Mary, Welcome and good luck with all of your efforts. I, too, garden under a lot of maples and an apple.

Pirl, Your patio and Lily planting is just beautiful. I saw a gorgeous photo of yours last night in PF of lily, Sumatra. Is it as red as it looks?
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7367455

The front section of my road side bed gets some afternoon sun, which Is where I grow most of my daylilies. I've since added some blue Penstemons and Salvias to mix in with the daylilies and echinaceas.

Thumbnail by stormyla

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7367725

Love the daylilies, stormyla. I've marked some areas to put in a daylily bed. Now I'm looking for the lilies to put in the bed.
Mary

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7367806

Keep your eyes open for sales after July,if you can wait that long.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7367822

Pirl, I love the way your Lilies are looking right at you when you walk out the door- a thrill for sure!

Stormy, those Daylilies and Echies are gorgeous together- I have such a fondness for those sunrise/sunset colors, especially combined with blues. The Penstemons and Salvias will be a great contrast in color and form.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #7368238

stormyla, regarding your query on foilage:

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7368274

gemini, you've a discerning and accurate eye for detail...seeing the crocosmia signature in all those rudbeckias made me go back and look hard myself for although I knew there was 'Lucifer' in that area I'd not known it was in that particular pic.

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #7368280

pirl, love those lilies...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #7369362

Such gorgeous gardens...

Arlene - if that beautiful sight that you have was outside of my kitchen door, I would never make it any further than the back stoop. Your lilies are gorgeous.

Gemini - that clem is Hendryetta. She got really big last year, so I am kind of wondering what she will do this year. She doesn't cling like the other clems and is tied onto a smallish obelisk. I believe the clem that starts with a 'v' that you are thinking of is viticella - I have pictures of viticella somewhere...

Mary - I would really like to see your pictures with the blue Penstemons and Salvias. For some reason I have had difficulties with penstemons, but I am going to keep trying...

Venu - love your cat, he looks so stoic.

Burn - I really like what you have planted around your pond. It makes me think I should revisit the plantings around my pond.

Polly - what kind of hydrangea is that in your photo? I really love hydrangeas and would like to put in more...

J - the rudebeckia with the Crocosmia Lucifer is stunning...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7369395

Stormy, the green in back of the cat is Agastache Blue Fortune. Very easy, but the bees swarm. I moved it this fall to a less frequented area. Your combination of ecchies and DLs is gorgeous. What a great color marriage.

Neal, the little plants in front of the Hostas are mukdensias. I have not had much luck with them. They seem to survive but never give me what was prosmised, which is great fall color. They peter out in the heat of August and only reappear the next spring.

Mary, best of luck with your gardening undertaking. Clems are a love of mine, and roses once were. I agree with Jo Ann and Neal that lasagna is the best and easiest way to conquer the earth, but it must be given time to do it's thing.

Jmorth, I love crocosmia, but it doesn't seem to love me. What are your secrets?

Pirl, Pirl, Pirl..Those lilies must be the best alarm clock in the world. Who would want to sleep in when that beautiful display awaits?

Here's a clem shot holding the camera as far over my head as possible, looking down, without getting a ladder.

Thumbnail by venu209

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #7369413

Carolyn, my hydrangea hedge is ---from the left---Pink Diamond, Limelight and The Swan. Behind the hyrdrangea hedge is a deck attached to the kids playhouse. The hydrangeas were so packed with various bees this year the kids could hardly go on their deck.

Beautiful pictures everyone!

Neal, I see the daylily! Lovely picture. It's the perfect setting for that daylily. It's happy there, I can tell.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7369472

I'm working on a hydrangea hedge. I just ordered 7. They were on SALE :)

I love the tree peonies also, but they're devilish to get going.

Thumbnail by venu209

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #7369499

Well, which hydrangeas did you get, Louise? We have to get the paniculatas here. I envy you that can grow the pretty blue or pink ones. We can also grow the oakleaf, but none of the oakleaf or paniculatas come in that pretty blue. I do have one blue one that seems hardy here, Dooley.

I love the tree peonies, but it's a lot of money, for something I would probably kill. You test them first, please, LOL. The one pictured is beautiful!
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7369630

I ordered Dooley, along with Midnight Duchess, Izu No Hana, Kiyosumi ( I didn't want the Iris to be lonely with the Japanese names) Penny Mac, Mme. Emile Mouillere and Little Henry. On a sad note, I ordered from Rarefind and found out that the owner was recently deceased. He was a great guy and a lot of fun. I'm sure the Rhodie and Azalea lovers will miss him terribly. Along with many others.

My tree peonies are in test status. It will be probably be 5 years before I can weigh in on their success..or failure.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #7369693

Nice selection. I've considered Penny Mac, I understand it's quite hardy.

I once saw a show on one of the gardening channels on Penny McHenry and her hydrangeas. Here's a pic of her entrance.

http://hydrangeas.org/images/mcHenryfront.JPG

http://hydrangeas.org/images/mchenry_entrance.JPG

http://hydrangeas.org/images/mchenry_home.JPG

I'm so glad you got some friends for the irises, LOL.

Sorry to hear about the man from Rarefind. I understand it was a great nursery. Will the nursery continue?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
9:55 AM

Post #7370206

What a display of Hydrangeas.Really stunning.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #7370301

A May album
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/May2009
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7370761

Lovely Jo.

You have some pretty bearded irises there. I didn't know you had any of those. And you grow alliums, you stinker. I can't grow those. I've tried and tried, and I think my soils is just too light. My best friend grows the most gorgeous ones. And she lives about 50 miles to the east. You're 50 miles to the west, LOL.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7370787

Nice Jo Ann! Is the big yellow one a peony? I'd like to get one!
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7370793

Polly, the nursery will go on. That is some hydrangea hedge! Some of those mopheads are bigger than their heads!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7370846

Those Alliums arent the big deal they seem.The leaves are huge and spread all over the place.The plants dont dissapear until July,hard to fit annuals in.
The TBI thats in the album is DD's she brought it from the other place.
We hold our breath every year due to borer ,we never know when it will strike.We spray but doesnt seem to do much good.
The yellow peony is a peony tree Motherday gift last year.
I have never owned one and didnt have room at the old house.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7370870

Wow! Those Hydrangeas are stunning!

Weeze, great sale find!

I found a wide shot of the pink bed from late May or early June.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7370883

wonderful
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 15, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7371274

Thanks for your nice comments
Jmorth love those Lilies and Rudbeckia shots.
Stormyla, those daylilies are gorgeous. Nice rich color.
Pirl very nice display. I wouldn't mind sitting in that corner with the lilies.
The kitty has a very nice environment to stroll in, Venu.
Ge1836, your lazagna garden bed, looks very promising. lovely outlined of it.
Enjoying seeing, what others have done with their garden.
Gemini_sage, the bloom you asked the name of, at the edge of my pond is a lingularia.
Here's a closer picture of it. Not the best, because of the bug damaged on the leaves. It's my first year with it.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 15, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7371400

A flowerbox with Lisanthus and Million Bells.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7371445

This is the Lazagna garden in September.
Spring will bring lots of plants and JI's and Lilies.

Thumbnail by ge1836

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7371621

Nice flowerbox Burn!!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7372484

I'm so glad to hear Rarefind will continue. I need some more azaleas, too.

Neal, which dianthus is it in the pink garden? Stunning.

Talk about promise for spring, Jo!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
9:44 AM

Post #7373433

pink garden looks great
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #7373467

Thanks, burn. That Ligularia is showier that I realized. Gorgeous planter, love the Lisianthus in there!

Polly, I'm pretty sure those are the common Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Bath's Pink'. They're prolific, would you like some? They're so easy to start, I just yank pieces out and stick 'em in the dirt- that's all they require.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7374668

Yes, thank you Neal.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7375344

Polly, I'll plan to send you as much as you can use in spring :-)

I found a closer pic of one of the heirloom Daylilies, with Rudbeckia, Yarrow, and Heliopsis.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #7375405

The above Daylilies reside in my "Salsa bed". Here's a pic of it in June. I'm kinda torn about the Poppies in there, they're a kind of pinkish red, and I thought they were going to be orange. They're so pretty I've left them, because I keep forgetting to save seed and grow them somewhere else!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7375470

Love the Salsa bed, Neal!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #7375791

Thank you Neal.

Love the salsa bed. I'm going for hotter colors this year. It seems a lot of people are going for hotter colors for the upcoming year. Although I think the poppies look good in there with the lilies.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #7375844

I like the poppies too. Every salsa needs a little red :)

Found this one while sorting through some pics that were organized incorrectly. Made me think of warm weather.

Thumbnail by venu209

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #7377054

I'm afraid I don't have the lovely beds and combos that you all do (yet!!!) but I have a friend who has a daylily farm nearby - maybe you'd enjoy some of her lovelies?

Thumbnail by Pagancat

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2009

Post #7377055

Another...

Thumbnail by Pagancat

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2009

Post #7377057

Last one.

Thumbnail by Pagancat

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7377077

Well, you bet I will enjoy daylily pictures. Thanks. I love the light orange daylily with some brighter orange in it. Kinda reminds me of a daffodil.

Be sure to show us your gardens when you get the beds and combos.

Lovely viburnum, Louise!
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7377451

Thanks Polly.

I have to laugh...I just bought a roll up keyboard for 10 bucks. It actually works!!

sheep produce great compost for flowers.

Thumbnail by venu209

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #7377645

At my first glance, I thought that was a cow! Very cute.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7377839

That is a beautiful Jacob's lamb. Male or Female? A friend had a male and a female and named them Rambo and Lambo.
Mary
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #7377867

Oh my goodness Mary!! You are the first person to recognize the breed. Most people think it's a goat because of the horns. I don't know the sex of that one. My brother raises them as a hobby, along with fancy chickens. He keeps me supplied with aged manure:)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #7378815

I love the rams when they get their full horns grown. Does you brother sheer them for the fleece? When I lived in Calif my friend who owned Rambo & Lambo. He decided he wanted them trimmed and wanted me to do it, BUT he did not want to buy clippers, so quess what? I cut all their fleece off with a pair of scissors. Oh my word!! Never, Never again. !!! He now lives in Oregon and took them up there with him. Boy was I happy to see them leave.
Mary
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #7379392

Ooooh, I'm with Polly- that light orange DL is a beauty! Reminds me of orange sherbet and mango slices- kinda makes me hungry, LOL.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #7379521

He tried shearing them once with scissors and promptly went to buy clippers.

I have to add a third vote for the sherbert DL! It's a beauty.

thoughts of spring...

Thumbnail by venu209

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #7379581

Hey, did you steal my daffodils?

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7379841

Ah, Neal - that's a different garden, lol!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7382106

Wonderful tulips, Louise.

Victor - is this the photo of Omoshiro you wanted me to post?

Here's a good link for a long visit - doubly good for a blizzard warning day here in the northeast:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/668191

This message was edited Dec 19, 2009 2:47 PM

Thumbnail by pirl

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7382182

Gorgeous, gorgous photos!

Venu/Gemini - I thnk we all hit the same sale as I have those daffs too.

Arlene - I just added your Omoshiro to my want list. I have a weakness for clems and that one is stunning.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7382211

Me too! How funny. And I can't even think where mine came from , maybe Van Engelen?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7382243

Thank you, Carolyn. It's a clematis worth growing.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7382361

That's not Victor's favorite photo...that's mine!! ;)

Carolyn, I have not been able to find Omoshiro. I'm wait listed at Brushwood for that one. Isn't it gorgeous??!!

I think my daffs came from Brent & Becky's. Or I sneaked down to Kentucky to steal Neal's^_^ Aren't daffs such happy spring flowers?

some tulips screaming spring.

Thumbnail by venu209

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7382554

Venu - Beautiful tulips. Are they the Monsella? I have been looking at buying them for several years now. The colors are so striking.

One thing I really look forward to is the newness of Spring. Another of my favorites are the dogwood. Dogwood is our state tree and they grow wild here in the hills.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #7382650

Glorious, Carolyn. I love how you've arranged them.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7382807

beautiful contemplation spot.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #7383032

My winter depression lifted a little to day. I noticed the the rose cuttings in the bathroom are starting to put out leaves. Several other thinks I have in there is also showing signs of growth. OH YES!!!
Mary
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #7383167

I bed we did hit the same sale- great minds! I believe those I posted are 'Precocious' from Brent&Becky's.
Venu, is that the name of yours?

Arlene, I loved that slide show- what an amazing design for a hillside garden!

Carolyn, lovely setting there! And it reminds me, I must get some dogwoods going here, and some redbuds.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7395710

One of my favorite Grannie's bloomers with some of my other bloomers

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7395772

Love these colors

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7395783

Peonies were heavily budded this year. This was just as they were starting to open. They were looking just beautiful a few days before my garden club's annual plant swap when it came a heavy down pour and shattered almost all of the blooms and of course I didn't get another picture before the storm and while they were in full bloom.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2009 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by bigred

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7395894

Bigred - I like your favorite Grannie's bloomer. She is so cute! I see the sunflower to the right of her is taller than she is!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7395953

Yup,that's my lil bitterweed...LOL
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 24, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #7396385

What a lovely bloom, that sweet lil bitterweed is bigRed ;) Love those tulips, Venu. How tall do they get? I warm my day to see those beautiful blooms.

The crocosmia Lucifer are very striking close to white blooms. I have some growing near Annabel Hydrangea very pretty.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7396430

Wonderful pics bigred!

burn, love the idea of Lucifer with Annabel!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #7396683

Really red and wonderful
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #7396805

Bigred, you sure that ain't a sweetpea?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2009
10:57 AM

Post #7397341

Happy Holiday everyone
Spring is comming

Thumbnail by ge1836

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #7397357

I guess she would be more like a Stinkweed...LOL

Merry Christmas everybody. Didn't put up the big tree this year but did this table topper in mostly organics from the garden.

Thumbnail by bigred

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2009
11:35 AM

Post #7397358

That is the best tree I have seen anywhere.
Happy Holidays everyone

Thumbnail by ge1836

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #7397594

Very nice tree, Peggy - you can come decorate mine anytime! Or just send me directions, lol - I have a dozen little red bulbs on mine and that's *it*!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #7398942

I'm in a chocolate brown frame of mind this year.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #7398949

Thats a riot.
I will be on a total protine diet for the next few days. I cant remember having such a long period of carbs.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #7398959

I need to start cutting way down on the carbs...but not in the garden with chocolate colored plants

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #7398965

I get it.
There is a Chocolate Plant nursery
http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #7399006

ge,
yup,already found them. Ordered seeds just last month and will be ordering plants this spring.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #7399017

I looked just now .
The nursery was recomended years ago, I just forgot about tem until I read your post.
I saw Painted Tongue - a plant I love and had dropped back off my radar.
I will order seeds from Annies.
I am glad they have hardly any negs. in GardenWatchdog

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7403004

I don't have a pic, but I used 6 cups of frozen blackberries picked last July to make a cobbler this snowy morning. My family is anticipating next summer's crop.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #7403445

Wonderful treat.
DD made Caramel Bread pudding. It lasted 1 day.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #7403498

Never heard of caramel bread pudding. It sounds yummy!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #7403500

I love anything made with butter ,vanilla, brown sugar.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #7403522

ge,
Annie's sells seeds?

Blackberry cobbler...carmel beard pudding...Yum-Yum!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7403529

Annies does sell seeds.
Beard pudding. An odd visual for me.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #7403692

I checked her webpage but didn't see a seed list.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #7403718

I'm not sure she is up with the 2010 catalogue
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7403771

I have to ask - what is beard pudding? I know we are getting off topic, so if you want to dmail me that is fine.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #7403778

I think its bread pudding! Blackberry cobbler! Let me know when your serving and I'm on my way!!!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #7404021

Let us know when it's hot out the oven and I'll bring the ice cream.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7404077

You guys are killin me
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #7404186

OK, I've been down for the count with Pnuemonia and have read, but not posted. As I am REALLY trying to nix the sweets, I'll bring the thread back to flowers.

This charming Anemone showed up just before Memorial day and delighted me with it's patriotic color scheme.

Thumbnail by stormyla

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7404206

Its a good one.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #7404215

Stormy, did your Anemone survive the winter or was it spring planted? I so love those Anemones, been meaning to try some in protected spots and see if they return.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7404224

Neil, I planted them in the fall of 08. They bloomed in the spring of 09.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #7404324

such beautiful pictures...

Mary - I hope you are feeling better. Pneumonia is nasty - I have had it myself. Do take care of yourself.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #7404338

Thanks, Carolyn. What is that lovely purple bloom?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7404364

Mary

That is Viola Silver Sumurai http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/162564/ I broke down and spent the $ on it from the Wayside Gardens catalog a couple of years ago.

Here is a picture of Clematis Montana Mayleen. I pushed the zone limits on this one. I love the Montanas, but they are not hardy to my zone. Figured I would try an experiment and it worked. What is not showing in this picture is my dryer vent is about 4 feet to the left of the clem.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7404378

Wow, that Clem is a beauty. I thought that was a viola, but it is so large. It almost looks like a Gloxina.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #7404400

I really loved this European Columbine. It's called Tower White

Thumbnail by stormyla

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #7404434

Mary - gorgeous! You wouldn't have any seeds for it would you?
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #7404476

Carolyn, No and I WANTED some, but my overzealous buddy was helping weed my garden & cut the stalks off!!! I will make sure you get some next year, Carolyn.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7405065

Beautiful Anemone! Very patriotic, as you mentioned.

Mayleen is fantastic, Carolyn. You'll tempt me into buying it now. It's really wonderful.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7405070

Oy, Stormy - hot tea, hot tea, hot tea. If you're having any trouble breathing, make it hot black tea - has theophylline in it, helps to loosen the bronchi.

Please be gentle with yourself.

Oh, that Clematis... oh my...

I have two that I bought as NOIDs at Lowes on a fall clearance rack - like $3 - (you have no idea how cheap I am!!!). Do any of you have any idea which this one is?

Thumbnail by Pagancat

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #7405080

And this one is (I suspect) 'Blue Light' - this is just the immature flower, it becomes very heavily petaled from that center group. I like the early flowers better, but I love them all, really.

Thumbnail by Pagancat

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7405255

Now I'm insanely jealous. They're both gorgeous, Pagancat! I don't know the names of either of them but they are treasures.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7405399

LOL, Pirl - don't be jealous, just go to the clearance rack!

I should have gotten pics of the first one last summer. It's small, only about 3' tall, but you could barely see a leaf for the blooms. Second year really is so much better than the first!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7405445

Pagancat,

do you get double flowering on the first one? Is this your first year with her? If so, you may get the double flowers this spring - I am wondering if it is Piilu http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=374

The second one does look like Blue Light.

I was wondering what kind of clematis Neal has in the first photo? I really love clematis and have such a weakness for them. Hubby was very happy when I stopped buying clems and started to buy other types of flowers...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #7405451

The nearest Lowe's is an hour away. Even our Home Depot (half hour away) doesn't have bargains like yours.

I love the edges on both of your clematises.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7405457

Good detective work, Carolyn!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7405495

Wow, that does look like Piilu, but I have had it 2 years without any sign of it doubling. Bummer! That is very pretty. But I'm guessing, too, that Lowe's probably doesn't carry some of the more exotic Clematis - or is it?

Someone had suggested that it might be "Sugar Candy" ( http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=431 ) but I think Piilu's colors are much closer.

Oy, that website...!
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7405649

Beautiful Clematis, all. I love that Blue Light one. This is my first year for Clematis, so I hope they prosper.

I found tremendous delight in the orchid like blooms of this Epimedium.

Thumbnail by stormyla

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #7405653

Pagancat, I got the Piilu one, this year. Did get a few blooms on it, even though it was small. Will see, what she will do next summer. It looks very lovely.
Stormy, your the second person on DG's, I heard has Pneumonia. It's very hard on the lungs, do rest up well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
I love that white columbine.
Carolyn that clematis Montana Mayleen turn out really well. Love it.
This is a spreading rose. Don't know the name.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7405662

A Spring bloom, I'm always looking forward too.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2009

Post #7405666

And a white Peony.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009

Post #7405667

I doubt that it's Sugar Candy. Piilu seems to be the right answer.

To my way of thinking Piilu is not one of the common inexpensive clematises like Jackmanii, Nelly Moser, Multi-Blue, Belle of Woking, Pink Champagne, H.F. Young, etc.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #7405670

Pagan, I'd have to say the second one is definitely, definitely Blue Light. Nice, isn't it? Loves to spill blooms. So far mine is taking it's time to reach some height, but that's okay since it's so generous with blooms.

Here's a wake up call from nature!

Thumbnail by venu209

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7405733

Great vibrant color, venu
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #7405737

Beautiful and bright!
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7405801

Weeze, That Poppy is beautiful. Is it an annual?

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
5:23 AM

Post #7405945

My fav place to walk off the blackberry cobbler is MO Botanical Gardens. A pic of the Japanese Garden waterfall in the Spring when the azaleas are in bloom.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
8:25 AM

Post #7406127

I can relate to your walking in MOBOT greenbrain, this was in September:

Thumbnail by jmorth

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
10:53 AM

Post #7406181

Stormy I love epimediums and will add to my collection of 1 this year.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #7406212

Wow, what gorgeous pictures. No wonder it's your favorite place to walk!

I only have one epimedium, too, Jo Ann, and will be adding to it this year. Mine is a yellow, but I really like that white, Mary.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #7406226

They can get pricy.
Mine was a DG'ers ,its pink.
Temp is 8* here now only going up to 16 and more snow.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #7406280

I was lucky enough to receive at least 3 colors of the epimediums in a trade from the same generous DGer that also sent me the Japanese Anemones. I received a total of 5 plants from this nice lady. I am hoping to see some color on the other 2 epimediums this Spring. None of my pictures came out as nicely as Mary's picture though.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7406289

You are lucky with that trade.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #7406290

I WS seeds for aquilegia Tower Blue.

Not a big impressive bloom from this little native clematis. Swamp clematis...botanical escapes me at the moment but I want to say c.crispa? I'll have to check the label

Yup...c.crispa. Pardon the dirty hands.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 6:42 AM

Thumbnail by bigred

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #7406405

Wonderful pics folks!

Carolyn, I love the Violet and the Clematis! I've got to get another C.montana rubra, I lost the one I had when I moved here 3 years ago- the only one that didn't survive the move, and my favorite one of course! That wonderful vanilla fragrance I really miss.

Stormy, such a pretty Epimedium! I've had a yellow variety for several years that has been slow to increase and stingy with blooms, and received a deep rose colored one and a rusty orange colored one from a member at a RU a couple of years ago that have done beautifully though. Seeing yours, I must now find a white one!

Pagancat, gorgeous Clems! I need that 'Blue Light'!

Here's the best pic of the rose Epimedium- I found them difficult to photograph.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #7406515

I love the color and generosity of bloom of this Clem, just wish it would get taller on its support!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #7406517

Thank you, everyone. That white Epimedium is youngianum. I have about 20 different varieties of Epimedium. They all came either from Garden Visions or Edelweiss Perennials. All cost less than $10 each. If you have never shopped at Edelweiss Perennials, give them a try. Great sized plants at reasonable prices with low cost shipping.

Gemini, those Epimedium are a bear to photograph! Yours is lovely.

Burn, your Peonies are beautiful.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7406526

Do any of you grow English Wallflowers? This past spring was my first time seeing them in bloom, and what a bright joyful presence in the garden! These bloomed the 2nd year from wintersown seed. The plants are still as green as they can be, with snow topping them, and there are several seedlings around them now too.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #7406530

Thanks for the vendor tip Stormy
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #7406532

Morning everybody. I'm just going along enjoying all the beautiful pictures and dreaming of next year when my garden will be in and blooming and I can post pictures to show everyone. Keep the pictures coming. I need the pick-me-up they give me as I ajust to retirement and Kentucky winters. Thanks

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7406615

Just checked Edelweiss and Garden Visions
Nice plants.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #7406705

I need to check out those vendors too...

I have looked at the wallflowers. Their color is so sunny and cheerful. Do the butterflies like them? I really need to get some.

Neal - what type of clematis is that? It is so pretty - I love the color. Reminds me of C. Proteus, but mine is more a mauve than that beautiful blue...

Here is C. Proteus

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7406726

I just put an order in with Brushwood
White Henrii
Daniel DeRonda
Blue?
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7406755

Gotcha, ge - now that we're no longer shopping for Christmas, heh!

Oh - I'm not sure which I want to tour most - MOBOT or Stormy's place?

Oh geez, Proteus is wonderful, too. Love yours as well, Neal.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7406764

Good luck with them, Ge. All of these Clematis are just wonderful.

Gemini, I've been considering trying some seeds for the Wallflowers. Yours are really nice.

I have really developed a penchant for SDB Iris. These were the first ones I planted about 3 or 4 years ago. They seem to work really well in a lot of places. This past summer, I added a lot more of them to my beds in the front of the house.

Thumbnail by stormyla

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7406786

beautiful stormy
do you have a name for those?
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7406981

No, Ge, I don't. After they bloom next year, I'll be happy to send you one.

Thumbnail by stormyla

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7406993

These are some I planted last summer.
Some didnt make it,voles or sluggs I dont know which.
I always had the yellow ones that grew like mad at my old house.
The iris on the left looks like yours.
I bought mine from MidAmerica and Snowypeaks both great vendors.

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7407008

These are all the ones I ordered.Some are not true Dwarfs as they are 14" but I loved the color.

Thumbnail by ge1836

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #7407034

Those are all so beautiful GE. I love them. My collection is in all different colors too. I'll be anxious to see how many of them make it through their first winter.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #7407040

Ooohh, Stormy that's such a nice color echo with the buff color in the Iris and Heuchera! I've got seeds I collected from those Wallflowers, I'd be happy to send you some :-)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7407045

Gen, your Iris colors are gorgeous! I love those bicolor, streaked, and edged ones!
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #7407058

Oh, Yes, Neil. Thank you. I would love some.

So much of my garden relies on the foliage for color.

Thumbnail by stormyla

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7407078

I chose the iris to go with Heucheras Obsidien and Tulips.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #7407103

I think its particularly beautiful to see foliage and flowers with matching colors.

Carolyn, I've been looking through old packing slips but haven't found the one from Brushwood yet, and can't recall the name of that Clem. It's really more a lavender-lilac color than the blueish tone in the pic, closer to the color of yours, but perhaps not as pinkish.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #7407178

I wonder if it is the same type of clematis...

Neal, I really like the dark purple clem.

Mary, I too am a fellow heuchera/tiarella lover. I put in another shade bed last Summer and I don't think it is enough...

Jo Ann, I like the streaked iris as well. This one is Batik.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7407206

Thats Stripe Three Hope it comes up.I almost bought Batik.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7407244

the 3rd one in from the left on the top? I just love it.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7407286

yep thats stripe three
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7407309

I got Batik as well, it's a flower I could stare at for a long time, lol.

If you like the softer colors on shorter irises, I recommend Proton - bloomed the first year and has spread nicely. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/107593/ The pic on DG looks a bit more apricot than my flowers did, maybe it got a little less sun.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7407331

I love the pinks"Bamboozel" I got to go with some verigated tulips Chinatown
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7407381

Carolyn and I favor the exact same iris.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7408000

I am hoping that I did not lose any of my iris this past year. We had so much rain that it was causing problems with the iris. There were these little brown blotches that were as a result of the constant wetness. A couple of times I cut back the affected leaves and sprayed them with a fungicide. I will not really know what is what until Spring.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7408236

Stormy, it's an oriental poppy so it's a perennial. I planted an epimedium this past spring. I think it was a white. Hopefully it will survive the winter so I can confirm the color next spring. Hope you're feeling better!

Carolyn, have you tried Japanese or Siberian Iris?

Thumbnail by venu209

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7408369

Mary, does Garden Visions sell on the internet? I'm a little confused about it looking at the website. But they have some great epimediums. I'm familiar with Darrell Probst, have seen his intros for years, probably from Heronswood, I think they carried some of his stuff.

Beautiful iris, Louise. I find the sibs and JIs so much easier to grow than the bearded. I get so disgusted with the foliage on the bearded looking nasty by mid summer. But I do love the flowers.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #7408380

Thanks, Weeze. I was ordering some Poppy seeds last night and there was one that looked just like yours. They called it an Oriental Poppy, but also had it listed under Annuals. I went overboard on the Poppy seed ordering, but Holly is taking some of them.

I planted my first Japanese Irises this fall. A good number of those new Epimediums went in this area among these plantings.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7408394

Polly, I really don't know. They set up a hugh Epimedium display every year at the Hardy Plant Society Sale, and I usually buy from them there. Everyone should look for their local chapter and log onto their site for the sale date. Brushwood always exhibits and brings tons of Clematis. PineKnots also brings hundreds of Helleborus. I know that the society is very active in NY and New England and most of the areas in the cooler zones.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #7408629

Venue - Hubby put in a couple of the Japanese Iris last year. I really liked them and would like to add more to what he put in. I have looked at Siberian Iris, but not gotten any yet, although I did add some more of the flag iris. Even found a nice red flag iris...

Mary - I will have to check the Hardy Plant Society Sale and see what the local chapter is doing. Sounds like a sale I cannot miss.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
10:22 AM

Post #7409078

I second that. These are DD's sibs

Thumbnail by ge1836

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #7409128

Geez, I don't know what any of my Clems are anymore! With moving them 3 years ago, losing some to the backhoe work last year, and now having misplaced my records, there's no telling. This one was growing up through a Lilac, which was about 5' tall last fall when the backhoe came through. Afterword, no sign of the Lilac whatsoever, then in spring, to my surprise, the Clem showed back up!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #7409173

I made this album to send in lieu of holiday card.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/2009
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #7409241

GE, Your photos and paintings are so lovely. Thanks for sharing them.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7409388

Your daughters bed is lovely, Jo Ann. I'm surprised to see sibs growing that well in a raised bed.

Love those clematis, Neal. Glad they came back.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #7409447

Thanks Stormy
Polly ! I wish she would thin them, they have been in there for 20 years.
We have been here 3 years, that was the only flower bed when we moved in.
You must know how dense they are. I doubt a chainsaw would do the job.
I am just the mother so I keep my mouth shut.It really is a beautiful sight when they are blooming.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7409495

Jo Ann -

It is hard sometimes to be 'just the mother' isn't it? Love your photos.

Neal - I think your clem may be Warsaw Nike, but I am not positive. I was also thinking about what you said about your ohter clem not getting very tall - what type of pruning schedule do you have for it?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #7409498

Do they need thinning, Jo Ann? Dying out in the middle? Don't you try, they are horrendous to divide after that many years, believe you me.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7409502

new thread for slow dial-uppers? Carolyn, that is an excellent question - would love to see it carried over to the new thread

back to lurking
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #7410013

Carolyn, Brushwood shows Warsaw Nike as a more reddish color, but the bloom shape looks correct. I'll be looking through the catalog, and see if something rings a bell.

Polly, the more vigorous Sibs tolerate dry soil amazingly well, I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of some of mine through 2 years of drought. For some that aren't so forgiving, and for some Japanese Iris, I'm going to use the bath tub we just removed from the bathroom we're remodeling. I plan to use mounded stones and soil to hide the tub, and fill it with composted manure and peat moss. This bright idea just came about a couple of days ago when deciding what to do with the old tub :-)

I'll get us a new thread started.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7410032

Here we go:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065761/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America