Winter blahs(and its not even winter!)-share your pics!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm finding myself already longing for spring, and immersing myself in the pics of blooms and lush foliage from warm sunny days. Lets share those special shots, and recall the feeling of seeing that first Daffodil open in late winter, or that sniff of the first Rose bloom of the season.

So share those special shots of your gardens, and tell us what you recall about that day!

On this day, when this pic was taken, I was particularly happy to see well distributed color in this bed (I call it the "pink bed"). From where I was standing, the scent of cloves was heavy in the air from the pink Dianthus that you can just see at the top of the pic. It was pure joy to see the 'Erfurt' Roses in bloom with that Clematis and the Mock Orange for the first time.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Asiatic and LA hybrid Lilies were in full swing on this June morning. Looking out over the pink bed, I was enjoying the unexpected surprise of seeing those Easter egg colors together, that I hadn't considered when planting the beds. The yellow and white blooms are in an area comprised of 3 beds, planted in all yellows, blues and whites. The baby's breath-like little blooms of Geranium pyrethicum that form a cloud at the base of the Lilies, as well as the slightly filmy haze in the photo, made this picture remind me of some magical fairy realm, and of some of the scenes in the movie, 'The Secret Garden'.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This was taken the same day as the first photo, standing on the other side of the huge Mock Orange in the pink bed. I was loving the first color showing from that pink Peony, my first blooms from the blue Columbine I'd wintersown the year before, and the beginnings of a glorious show from the tall Siberian Iris from Polly :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This view made me extra happy that day, as I hadn't realized I would be able to see the butterfly garden, the beds at the rear entry to the house (which is the main entrance), and the lower beds of the front yard from the same spot. Those layers of color made me feel like a child on Christmas morning!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Been looking through some spring pics, building excitement for those early bulbs that so effectively color up the garden in those first warm days. Daffodils and Tulips in the yellow, blue, and white area in the pic above, where I've had trouble getting all 3 colors at the same time. Last spring it went from all yellow and white blooms, to all blue and white blooms, till finally early summer hit and I finally saw it come together. Some clearance bulbs are due in next week, I'm planning to rectify that problem with some 'Sky Jacket' Hyacinths, various Muscari, Scilla, Chionodoxa, and Iris reticulata.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate (Periscaria orientalis) arching over other flowers. And the rich scent of the trumpet Lilies makes being in the garden all the better.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gemini, you have such beautiful flower beds and color combinations. They show the love and care that you give them. Thanks for the lovely photos.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Stormy! And please share your lovely pics too :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gemini, What is that tall blue flower behind the pole in your last photo?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Those are Bachelor Buttons (Centaurea cyanus). They reseed themselves yearly :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh gosh, look at those gorgeous eremus. I've tried twice to grow them and each time ended up feeding the voles!! I may try again next year. I love Cleopatra.

I used to grow Centaurea Montana. Loved the blooms, hated the foliage. I've been toying with the idea of using it again. They gave a very long period of bloom.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Gardens Gemeni

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Stormy, those are 'Spring Valley Hybrids" from Brent and Becky's, and they have been great performers. They love a site that is dry and well drained, but seem otherwise happy in any sunny spot. I lucked upon them during one of their 1/2 off sales a few years ago, and this year snagged 'Lemon Meringue' on sale. I had vole issues at my last garden, but they must have preferred Lilies over the Eremurus, LOL.

Thanks, gen! I'd love to see your garden pics too :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thoughts of sunny yellow, on a gray, wet day.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Gemini. That's a nice yellow and red lily. What is it's name? In that same photo, what is the tall plant with the large foliage?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gemini, As my beds are mostly shady, I don't have a lot of great bloom shots. Here are Astilbe blooming among my Heuchera & Hosta. In the far back are really tall OT lilies that grey over 9' and bloomed later.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I love Astilbe! They were so lush and happy in my last garden, in a moist, woodland environment. They haven't been so happy here, in a dryer area and we had droughts the first 2 years I lived here. I remember all too well the difficulty in keeping color in the shady garden.

That is an OT Lily from the American series, I believe it's American Heritage. The large foliage is Verbascum thapsus (Mullein), that grows wild here. I allow a seedling or two to remain in that bed each year for its stately presence. This year, 1 of the 2 of them suddenly looked really cruddy and dried up, just a foot or two from the other. You can see it right in the middle of this shot. The American Heritage are budding to the right of the photo, and those blooming are American Spirit from the same series.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, The larkspur are so pretty with the poppies. I have a number of the American Series lilies. They perform very well here. I have some much smaller, more tame cultivated Mullein.

The lilies always brighten up the shady beds and will even survive here under the Black Walnuts.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much for this thread Gemini! Today was so wet and cold, I'm already lusting for spring. I love to see other's gardens and both of yours are beautiful! Here's a late May pic that gives me the itch to just be able to go prune in March. 3 more months...sigh

Thumbnail by venu209
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, Another Poppy lover!! What's the name of that pretty Iris?

Stormy, is your question regarding the picture I put up? My name is not Jan, maybe you have me confused with another Jersey girl named Jan? My name is Louise, but since there a few of those roaming around, I'm known as Weeze :)

If your question is for me, I do not know the cultivar of Iris. I have had it for years and years, before I started keeping track of plants. I love Poppies. I wish I had more sunny areas for them. Their display is short lived but worth every splendid second.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Louise, i'm sorry, momentary brain blip! Yes, I did confuse you with Jersey Jan. She'd get a kick out of being called that. Louise, your photos are always so beautiful. Louise, it's funny, I am very sun challenged, but I keep finding more places to plant poppies!

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Great thread Gemini -

I too am missing Summer and being out in the garden. I spend a lot of my time going through the garden pictures I have takekn over the last couple of years....

Gorgeous pictures of everyone's gardens.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Great pics Neal, cottage garden for sure. Are those batchelor buttons as tall as they look? They look huge. I love your gardens, just beautiful.

Lovely beds, Mary, those astilbes are stunning.

Louise, your garden is wonderful. Those poppies are fantastic! I'm going to try some this year.

What a great garden you have there, Carolyn.

I don't have too many large garden shots, will have to get more, but here's one.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Spring lilacs, can't you just smell them?

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Spirea, scilla, and of course, sibs.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hydrangea border. Didn't notice the dead plant in a pot, sorry bout that.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2009 11:10 PM

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Last picture for tonight. This is the same area as the first picture I posted. The miscanthus is now 8 ft tall.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This is a nice thread to visit, this time of year. It will shorten winter a bit. I miss my garden too.
Very lovely gardens you all have.
I took this picture, to help me remember, where things are and what can be added or changed, come spring. It's at the back of the property

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

That's beautiful Polly. Love the grasses.

This is part of the pond area.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This is the pond garden, still some work to be done at the other end of it.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Hosta Blue Cadet around a crabapple tree.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Great summer gardens all. Good therapy while the wind howls and snows fall...Here's a pleasant slice from my garden last summer -

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm really into lilies and rudbeckias.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great pics everyone.

No problem Stormy, I've done it myself! Everyone's gardens are great. Keep them coming.

The cat loves roaming through plants, but shows great disdain for the camera.

Thumbnail by venu209
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its a beauty

Thanks Jo Ann. He adopted us last year;)

A little Hosta retreat.

Thumbnail by venu209
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

So many glorious pics to wake up to this morning! Thank you all so much for sharing!

Stormy, I love those Lilies with the chartreuse Hosta- such a bright pairing to bring light to the shade!

Weeze, that Iris, Rose, and Salvia are a gorgeous combination! Don't ya just love it when a group of plants marry so beautifully!

Carolyn, your Agastache, Veronica, and Clematis (I think) are a wonderful combination! I think I see Lilies budding in there too,- so lovely. I can't think of the name of that kind of Clematis with the nodding heads (seems like it starts with a v?), but I love them- they're so graceful looking.

Polly, thanks so much! Yep, that is the Bachelor Buttons- they're about 3 1/2-4' tall, and probably look taller due to the lay of the land. Gardening on this hill, I've found the usual method of tall stuff in back, short stuff in front, doesn't seem to work as well. From the house and porches, I'm looking either down hill at the beds or they're elevated from my vantage point, so I kinda work in various heights through the beds. I'm a glutton for the look of many layers of color and texture, it makes it fun to view the beds from various angles. And your gardens are SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!! Such pleasing textures and echoes of cool colors, and the surrounding natural landscape is such a gorgeous backdrop for your gardens. I'd love to sit in the middle of that wall of Lilacs- the scent must be Heavenly!

burn, lovely gardens! That's a sweet design for the pond garden area. In your 2nd pic that shows the edge of the pond, there is a bright golden orange bloom, what is that?

jmorth, your "pleasant slice" is such an appropriate way to say it- reminds me of slices of melon with berries, scrumptious combination! I had my first real success with Rudbeckias this year, and I'm hooked. They just can't be beat for sunny, dry areas. I need to try some doubles like you have there, and the Crocosmia budding in the middle is a nice touch :-)

This patch of Rudbeckias blew me away- I couldn't believe they bloomed so heavily the first year from seed. Polly, do you see the Daylily in the middle of them? That's one of the heirlooms you sent :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lovely, venu! And what a perfectly posed putty! What is that foliage in front of the Hostas?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.