Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: ISRAEL KAMAKAWIWO'OLE

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 55, Views: 399
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7363116

What a fantastic voice. Listening and dreaming of Maui. The island dwellers are so fortunate. The middle of Texas lacks a lot. When I listen to Brudda IZ I can transport my entire being to the Islands.
First time in many months I have been able to kick back like this.

I love all of you.

Princess Kilikina
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #7363720

So very happy to read your posting and to know that you are feeling more positive after your tough time. Give my love to sweet Mike, and heaps for yourself.

Jenn

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 13, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #7364005

Hello, everyone.

I am leaving on a 7-day cruise today on the Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas. I am taking my electronic book/library with me and Bruddah Iz's music to listen to while I relax on deck. I am still debating if I am taking the computer, or not.

Be good, everyone.
Aloha.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7364325

Aloha Pu'ole,

Bon Voyage! Do take the computer with you so that you can post pictures and we can follow along with you on your cruise - it would be the next best thing to being on board with you! What are your ports of call? I hope you and Gail have lots of fun.

Jenn

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7364496

Great time of year for a cruise. Get away from all the hustle and bustle.

I have ordered a "Nook" for my own gift from Barnes & Noble. Got an email that it should be delivered tomorrow. I can hardly wait. Ordered it 11/2/09 and haven't purchased reading material since waiting for its arrival. It is at least 10 days late. I'm as excited as a child on Christmas Eve. Kelly and I are taking Erin to see Payton in Nutcracker tonight as she dances with a professional company at Bass Hall. Erin is also taking dance and she always has Mike and I mimic her most recent lesson when she is here. All of the men are going to be watching the Dallas Cowboys, YUK!

Yes, do take your new laptop, Pu'ole.

Did you see the Big Wave, Jen?
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 15, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #7370434

I hope Sylvain took his laptop! if not, he probably at least took his camera, so maybe he will post some pics when he gets back.
Did you have fun, Christi?
isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7370819

We enjoyed it immensely. Especially 3 year old Erin. She tried to mimic their dances in her seat. We were trying to keep her from getting in the way of the people behind us. Of course, we weren't able to see Payton in her rat costume as there were some 8 rats. When asked her favorite, Erin said, "the rats of course". hahahah Only because we had told her Payton was one of them.

I took my children, Kelly and Marcus, to see The Nutcracker when they were small.

Now Marcus' child, Payton is in a performance and Erin, Kelly's grandchild is enamored with it.

I done good. smirk
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 15, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7370856

I am so glad you had fun, christi!! Little children do tend to get very excited, and are sometimes hard to control!
how is your weather now?
i'm sending smiles to you from a hot and sunny Mozambique!!
isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7370867

Crazy as usual. Yesterday was in the 70's and it was 34 by dawn today. At least we are having sunshine once again. Had over a week of no sun and rain or drizzle.

Thank you for your smiles, Isaac. Right back at 'cha.

Christi
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 15, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #7371396

Thanks Christi, you are a very special person!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7371628

aawwwww.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #7372875

I agree Issac!! She is very special!! :~)
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

December 16, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7372965

Everyone on the islands loves ISRAEL KAMAKAWIWO'OLE.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 16, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #7373655

Christi, did you hear about Jeanne?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7374173

Yes I did, Isaac. Am praying for her. Met her at RJ's when we went to Houston to hook up with IslandShari when she was on a lay over. 228 miles on way and worth every inch of the trip. Jeanne is a sweetheart. So is Amanda, pepper23. I have met a lot of extra, extra special souls here on DG.
Middle Isaac is right up there at the top. hahahahaha

Christi

It is 32 today so another good time to listen to Brudda IZ.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 16, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7374499

Awww, thanks Christi, you have made my day!
I remember seeing pictures of that time you all got together, and i am sure it was worth the trip. Speaking of Shari, i haven't seen her post in quite a while, have you heard anything from her lately?
I am also praying for Jeanne, she is a precious soul. she and i have become good friends through Dmail, we send each other prayer requests.
i haven't had much contact with Amanda, just recently i have noticed her posting regularly. And you are right, there are a lot of wonderful people on this website. Thank you Dave and team for giving us this opportunity to become friends!!!!
isaac
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7375617

I used to be a regular poster, then got busy with an online horse game, finally quit that because it took up too much time and finally got caught up enought to post again on here. lol.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 17, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #7376201

Well, i am sure everybody is glad to have you back!! and as for me, it is very nice to 'meet' you, Amanda.
isaac
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #7381476

Hi Christi, Isaac, Amanda, Jen, and Everyone:

I too love Brudda IZ. I have one of his CD's. I love to listen to his music!

While in the hospital I watched their CARE channel on my tv. They had soft music, pictures of the islands, blow hole, waterfalls, tropical flowers, birds, and butterflies and ate fresh pineapple at every meal! Guess where I pretended I was...It was raining outside...good time to be inside anyway. God was watering most of my flowers. (We have to water the rest next week.)

Aloha y'all!
Jeanne

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 20, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7384733

Glad for the rain kept your garden wet!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #7385153

Me too!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 24, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7395566

Gail joins me in wishing all our Dave's Garden friends around the world a Merry Christmas and a Safe, Healthy, Prosperous and Happy New Year.

Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #7398748

Right back at ya Polar Bear! I hope you and Gail had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Jeanne
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 26, 2009
7:08 AM

Post #7398846

This message was edited Dec 26, 2009 3:09 AM
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 26, 2009
7:08 AM

Post #7398847

Hi Jeanne, How are you doing now?
i didn't have so good a Christmas, i was, and still am, sick.
i hope you had a wonderful christmas with your family and friends!!
isaac
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 26, 2009
7:11 AM

Post #7398849

oops, i don't know what i did there!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #7399207

Oh no, Isaac. Malaria again? There just must be something to cure that. Am praying for you right this minute and will continue to do so.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #7400945

Isaac, I'm OK! Still a little weak and sleep alot. It doesn't take much to wear me out! So sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. We will be praying for you!

Christi, hope you and Mike are doing well and had a good Christmas!

Happy New Year Everyone!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7401630

Jeanne, glad to hear that you are feeling a little better, although still weak - keep up the good work and don't do too much!

Isaac, so sorry to hear that you have been poorly over the holiday, hopefully the docs can get you back on the road to good health soon.

Happy New Year!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 30, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #7408905

Hi, sorry it took me so long to get back to you! i was really sick with this bout of malaria, but thankfully i am better now. my joints are now only stiff with a headache. the high fever, nausea, and very sore body is now better. i want to sincerely thank you for your prayers and support, you guys mean so much to me!! thanks too that i can unload with you guys, and i know you really care about me and that is so refreshing and wonderful to know! thank you again.
its such a pity i got this malaria, i was so healthy! but it was kind of my fault, because i would sometimes forget to put bugspray on when i work in the garden. and our garden abounds with mosquitoes, especially around my ferns. so my mom read me the law concerning bugspray, now i will spray at least three times a day. also, though i hate insecticides, we will spray the garden once a week for mosquitoes. this all should help to prevent me getting it again. 2010 is a new year, and I AM NOT going to get malaria 7 or 8 times again, and that is that!!!
i want to wish you all an early Happy New Year!!! May the Lord lead and be with each of you in this new year!
you are my dear friends, and i am grateful for you all!
Isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7409490

You are a blessing to our lives, Isaac. Such a sweet attitude even though you must fight this illness so often.

Christi
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #7410552

Isaac,
So glad that you are feeling a little better. I am praying for you.

Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7411529

Happy Birthday, Jeanne.

Just got home from Tulsa. Soooooo glad to be home.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2009
5:39 AM

Post #7412262

Thank you Christi! It was a wonderful restfull day; Spent time with the kids and my Mom!

Happy New Year Everyone,
Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #7412806

I'm sitting outside with my laptop computer, my breakfast and my coffee. It's currently sunny and 68F (20C). I haven't posted much since I returned from my cruise 10 days ago. I have been reading and lurking but I never had the "luxury" of writing and participating in the discussions. Today and tomorrow should be quiet and restful. I need it once in a while. I have also neglected my garden. The plants in the ground are on autopilot and thriving: weeds and all. The plants in pots need water NOW. I will be doing that a bit later on.

As some of you may know, I am a realtor. I was driving clients around yesterday and after seeing 4 houses and driving around all afternoon, we ran out of things to say. I asked if I could play music and they agreed. I turned on the CD player, where one of Bruddah IZ's CD is always ready to go. It turns out they are fans of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. They couldn't believe it when I sang along with him in Hawai'ian. It was fun.

Lastly, Gail joins me in wishing each and everyone of you a peaceful, safe, healthy and prosperous New Year.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7413108

I deeply love all of you. I will be glad to put 2009 behind and welcome a new year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

PK
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 1, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7415552

We love you too, Christi!! I know this has been a very hard year for you, and i hope you will now be able to move on. Of course the memories will always be there, but know that i am praying for you.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!! May this new year be full of new beginnings for you, and may each of you be led by the Lord in your lives. Happy gardening!
isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7415963

Thank you, Isaac. You are a tribute to your name.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2010
12:56 AM

Post #7418103

Happy New Year!! I sincerely hope this year goes much better than last year!!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 2, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7418794

Thanks, Christi, a wonderful compliment!
Amanda, if you don't mind me asking, what state are you living in? i always forget what the abbreviations stands for! :-)
isaac
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7421224

Missouri. Outside of Kansas City. :~)
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 3, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7422300

Oh, Missouri! i don't think i have ever met someone from there. Do you like living there?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7423652

I love living here! I love all the weather changes. One day it can be 70 degrees then the next it will be 20 for a high. Keeps us on our toes. lol.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 4, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7427056

Wow, sounds bouncy! our weather does it sometimes, but not usually. right now it is very hot here, but i am not complaining!! i love the summer, because i can swim, enjoy the beach, and my garden flourishes!
isaac
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7429470

We are sharing a little of that cold with you Amanda. This week it is going to be 19 or 20 deg F either Fri or Sat morning. I will have to cover the plants on the patio even with the plastic up as the plastic only adds about ten deg. so that would still be below freezing. Not my idea of fun. That is why I came SOUTH! LOL!

Hope everyone is well! Isaac I hope that you are feeling better. I'm finally beginning to feel a little stronger.

Jeanne
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 5, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7429529

Good luck, Jeanne! i am so glad to hear that you are feeling a bit stronger, thats great! i am back to normal again, just a bit thinner. my friends won't get off my case because i lost so much weight. but in a couple of weeks i will have regained it without a problem.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 5, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7430210

Hello, everyone.

Isaac, friends are a mixed blessing. Do what you have to and let them talk. Your true friends will not get on your case for anything. They only see Isaac, not emaciated Isaac, not sick Isaac, just Isaac. Keep those close to your heart.

We are facing a definite risk of frost tonight, as the temperatures are scheduled to drop to 32 Farenheit (0 Celsius). I will definitely have to bring in some of my treasures tonight. HUGH! This is SOUTH Florida. We shouldn't have to do stuff like that. I feel cheated, somehow.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7431721

Join the crowd. That is why we came South! This is approaching a record low winter for us...a record we could do without! haha!

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #7432575

LOL. Well, I have more snow coming in tomorrow. Up to 7 inches of the dry snow then after that rolls thru we will have 40 mph winds. When the wind is blowing I will be thinking of you all down South. LOL

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7433157

We are expecting frost overnight. I just finished bringing in anything that was not planted in the ground. The rest will have to suffer through it.

Sylvain.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 6, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7433630

That frosty weather up north has dropped down here a bit too. We're having lows in the mid to low 60's and that is COLD for us. I don't have the clothes or the blankets for this, I've been sleeping in sweats with every blanket in the house piled on, my hot water bottle and 2 cats on my feet. I know, I can hear the tiny violins playing from those up north. I hope your plants survive and nothing is lost, that would be horrible.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7433998

I brought a lot of potted plants yesterday. The temperature in Delray Beach (FL) dropped to 28F (-2C) during the night. It has been going up a bit since the sun rose over an hour ago. I will go outside later to see what was damaged. I don't relish that inspection.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7434366

Feeling philosophical this morning. Watched a piece on national news last night that predicts our labor market will never be the same. I agree with that and am sorry for all of those millions caught in this vice. I have taken every precaution I can for my plants and yet I am sure that the landscape will look quite different this coming summer. Things that have made it through several winters will not withstand teens and single digit temps. Our entire world is in the midst of change. We human beings resist change with all our might. Weather in particular has always been of interest to me as mankind cannot control one single condition. All the more reason to believe in God the Father and yield to His Will. Though we don't want to, plants are replaceable...lives are not.
My yard stick is very different since last April 14th.

Glad we are retired and can stay in our nest and not face so many things head on. Praying for the best for everyone.

PK
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 6, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7435202

Christi, what you say is very, very true. Our world is indeed changing, and it is scary. But you are right about the Lord, because we know that he is in control of EVERYTHING!
sometimes its scary what it actually takes to make us see the truth.
Thank you Sylvain, my friends are leaving me be now, thankfully! i hope your plants fared alright through the frost, let us know.
i hope everybody is doing well, even though it is cold. Our weather was extremely hot for about two weeks, and then last night it cooled down considerably when we got a lot of rain. i poured this morning, and it has been quite windy too. but i think by tomorrow most of it would have cleared up. but the rain was very much needed, and everybody here is very thankful for it.
isaac

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2010
9:57 PM

Post #7443127

Aloha, my cyber ohana.

I have wonderful news: Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's officiel web site has just opened at:
http://www.izhawaii.com/
Why not visit it and become a part of his ohana?

Take care, all and Aloha
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7443147

I can't wait!!! Thank you Pu'ole

Princess Kilikina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America