Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: doing research.. list your top 5 roses ...

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 124, Views: 1,432
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #7365482

list your top 5 rose in terms of bloom power vigor and plant shape and resistance. the catch is they cant be earthkind .. my article is on earthkind and i want to add list of roses worth trying if youve been disappointed by trying to grow roses.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7365643

"Hansa" a rugosa;
"FJ Grootendorst", a rugosa (and its pink sister);
"HC Anderson" (aka "America's Choice") a floribunda;
Rosa viridiflora (the green rose);
"Goldfinch" a Polyantha climber

These are all trouble free hardy live forever with NO CARE roses that do well in cold winter areas.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 6:43 AM
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #7365752

White Pearl in Red Dragons Mouth...Smiths Parish, Cornelia, Noella Nabonnand, and Madame Alfred Carriere
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7365796

Five that did well on poor soil in NJ with no additional care: Sea Foam, Felicite et Perpetue, Felicia, Graham Thomas, Zepherine Drouhin.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7365821

Eden, FJ Grootendorst, Crown Princess Margarita, Zepherine Drouhin and Autumn Sunset. And Bantry Bay in case any of the mentioned are Earthkind.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #7365952

with all these suggestions i think ill link this thread instead of listing. keep em coming..
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7369517

Helpful thread!
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #7369548

Hi Dave :), do you have any roses to add?
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #7370663

I only have one to add, Rose de Rescht. And I second Cornelia.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7370891

My list would be from two different zones. Stanwell Perpetual, Heritage, Grace, Henry Hudson, and a tie between Mary Rose and Linda Campbell. I just can't make up my mind between those two.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7371081

Quadra, Heidesommer, Gruss an Aachen, Marchesa Bocchella, Dublin Bay. Also the wonderful Morden Blush.

Seafoam is wonderful too but I believe that it is an Earthkind.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 10:32 AM
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #7371192

I love Linda Campbell, but she's a bit shy here. I've moved her up next to the house, maybe the protection will help her along.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #7371306

Kathleen, I had Linda Campbell when living in zone 5 near Chicago. She was growing (I has three, actually) in a bed at the south side of a brick house. She bloomed almost non-stop throughout summer for me so I think the reflected heat may have helped.

(I should have mentioned that I have Linda on order and want to grow her here in zone 8a)

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 12:01 PM
SnowlineRose
Bend, OR
(Zone 4b)

December 15, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #7371326

My favorites are William Baffin and John Cabot (Canadian Explorer), Therese Bugnet (rugosa), Gourmet Popcorn, and Hot Cocoa. All tough enough to survive cold, dry, windy high-desert winters. I second Autumn Sunset and Morden Blush, and would throw in Westerland as well. And Alba Meidiland and Chuckles and Morden Centennial too. I guess that's way more than five. :-o
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7371349

"Sea Foam is Earthkind." I should have known. Does that mean I get another vote? How about: Ghislaine de Feligonde, Midas Touch, Electron, Olympiad, Henry Kelsey, Sally Holmes. It's really hard to stick to the rules of this game, isn't it?
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

December 15, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #7371378

What does Earthkind mean?
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7371390

it is a program designed by the agriculture dept of texas a&M to determine the most disease resistant and vigorous roses.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7371399

great lists everyone! lets change it up a bit.. what one rose would you suggest to someone who has never grown roses and wants to try just one..
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7371518

I just did that! Alexander MacKenzie. Same program as Quadra. If I had any more room it's the rose I would add. Extremely hardy, fragrant (the scent has been described as that of raspberry). Deep reddish new foliage. Completely disease resistant. Hardy to about zone 3. Repeatedly blooms. Very double flowers.

The person asked for an easy beautiful rose, and asked what I would choose - and that was it.

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #7371572

That is a tough question. If I had to have just one...ok, that isn't happening. If I had to suggest one to try starting out, in my climate (heavy snow, short springs, sometimes hot, sometimes chilly, always humid summers) it would probably be FJ Grootendorst. Never black spots, blooms from May to December, given half a chance and the blossoms look like little carnations. I'm including a picture, and yes, that is snow in the background. Drawback - no discernible fragrance, it has some of the world's nastier thorns.

Oh, hey, I have Hot Cocoa and it is a trouper, as long as it is in a protected spot here.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 2:34 PM

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #7371579

hot cocoa is a great one it gets huge .. and never defoliates, always blooming too
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7371603

Just one??? Eden.

Thumbnail by venu209

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7371642

Oh, wicked no fair! =~)

Just one?

Oddly enough I would pick Iceberg. Its not in my above list as I think it needs extra water and once a month fertilizing to really look it's best. But that is doable. If the person had lots of room then I would pick Reve d'Or. But if we're picking a rose to convince someone that you have to have at least one rose in your garden to make the show complete, then I would pick Iceberg.

(edited to correct my lousy spelling)

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 2:06 PM
garyt
Presque Isle, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #7371716

Terru

Which Iceberg would you chose?

Garyt
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7371794

Iceberg, the floribunda, Kordes, the 1959 (or 1958) version.

Sorry 'bout that!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #7371853

Oh, and sorry again. Chamblee's is listing Reve d'Or as an Earthkind rose. I did not know it was on the list!
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7371901

lol i was wondering when iceberg would pop up
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #7372177

I thought the list of Earth-Kind Roses would be longer; but it can be seen at TAMU http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/EKRoses.pdf.

Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #7372193

The only rose that I have had complete success with in both NJ and TX is New Dawn. I think it's a pretty good rose for people new to roses. (Sun Flare and Ballerina, though, are close behind.) Being a climber, it forces people to think of roses as something other than just cut flowers or ugly plants for beds. This has a transformative effect on the way they think of gardens and gardening. At least it did for me.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #7372304

there is a reason that it holds the first plant patent. it really is a great rose. a classic and one of my favorites.. rose growing should make you happy and not worrisome. new dawn does that for me. its bullet proof. its sad that people are scared off by weak new cultivars that have not stood the test of time and only look good on paper. once they get in typical gardens they languish. of course there are variables. like how pretty much any rose is going to thrive in California . but put it in zone 5 or 6 and see what happens . or the south blackspot country.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #7372412

Dana, didn't mean to ignore your thread. I gave this a lot of thought and realized among my must haves they were mostly earthlink, so...

Other than that, I don't have top five per se. I get them b/c I'm "hot" for the color red, or I travelled to France and decided I needed a rose by a french hibridizer, or a mini at the supermarket was simply too pretty to pass up. I'm like the Tiger Woods of roses (snicker)

If this helps your research, I seem to favor shrubs and floribs but that's as specific as I can get. I don't care about BS b/c in humid Houston, can't be avoided so I can't make that a criteria. Even the so-called BS resistant, get it, so I don't even fight it. Cold or heat tolerance is another non-issue for me. I usually stay away from HTs but some old tried and true like Tropicana will always be in my garden.

sorry I couldn't be more help
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7372442

to answer your 2nd question, I would recommend any KO to a non-gardener who thinks she/he might want roses and I would recommend Belinda's Dream, an eartkind, to a gardener newbie who has fallen for roses. How do I make the distinction? You can just tell by the way they talk or the things they say about gardening in general or if their hands are eternally manicured. No way are gardeners, lol.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7372537

lol it took me a minute to get the tiger thing .. lol both knock out and belindas dream are earthkind lol... its the im hot for the colors that get non rose people in trouble.. you see a retouched photo in a catalog and it dosnt end up lookin so hot.. sometimes. i pick roses for very different reasons.. some on shape some on bloom form some for their history. there are so many perfect roses but not a single perfect rose. it all depends what you want out of it ..that why we end up with 100 roses on a regular suburban lot
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #7372991

Hi Venu! I could always fit in a rose or two. This thread will be a help when I'm ready.
I just don't really bother with Hybrid teas
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #7373091

I've grown Goldfinch and Autumn Sunset and strongly agree that they are good choices. I have killed Mme Alfred Carriere four times in three locations - each time delivered as healthy gallons - if memory serves me correctly. Only Souvenir de la Malmaison equals that record.

I wonder, will anyone else nominate Olympiad, Marie Pavie, Abe Darby or Gourmet Popcorn?

Venu-thanks for the photo of Eden. It looks really lush and full of blooms.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7373775

Steve812, I would have actually nominated Abe Darby, and Tess (of the) d'Ubervilles for that matter, being the Austin lover that I am. However, those two can get tall before they fill out and both can take a couple of years to really get going. I find that some folks get thrown off by the wait. When I had Abe I grew him as a short climber. I'm kind of like Vossner, though. I try to avoid most of the hybrid teas, but I will try almost any other rose. And I fall in love with most of them =~/! I find myself agreeing with all of the choices of the others. I particularly agree with New Dawn. I had that one up north as well and it is another I want to try here in Texas.

And thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. Does it seem like a lot of the Earthkind roses are pink? Or is that just me? I was trying to throw in a few color variations in my selections.

iris28, did I commit a faux pas by mentioning Iceberg?
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #7373780

abe darby is great but the nodding blooms may turn off a first time rose grower, i love it though. eden does bloom its head off and i love its growing habit. the perfect pillar.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #7373791

terri that was kind of my point of this thread all earthkind are pink and i wanted to get a list going of great roses for newbies with some other colors in there... no faux pas.. iceberg is so known and loved i figured someone would add it.. i love burgundy iceberg its almost as dark as the pics. its pretty. and pretty carefree
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #7373826

For a non pink, I would have to nominate Crown Princess Margarita or Autumn Sunset. Both are very vigorous, with minimal care. CPM:

Thumbnail by venu209

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #7373863

I just ordered 2 Marie Pavie (the suggestion of Pickering Nurseries in Canada) because, for whatever reason, I've lost all three Icebergs I put in. I have a good 15 types of roses, and it's the only one I ever lost (ALL 3). They just seem weak in my yard. I tried mounding the second and third with compost and burlapping them, which theoretically shouldn't have been necessary. I've been corresponding with someone else who had the same experience. I got them from some of the best regarded providers, from whom I got other roses that thrived. Go figure.

I think Tess rocks. I've had it since 2003. The good - unfading red flowers, disease resistance (for me, no blackspot ot mildew) beautiful foliage, very good rebloom. But it's incredibly thorny and grows oddly. DA says 3-4 feet or 6-8 as a climber. You tend to get both. It's a great rose, but perhaps not for a first timer.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #7373880

Dublin Bay was my first rose. It came from the same hybridizer as Bantry Bay. I gave DB to my in-laws (who asked me to pick them a rose) and they tell me every year how happy they are. Another non-fading reliable rose with great disease resistance, nice foliage and reliable rebloom). And not too thorny. I've had it since 2003.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7373938

Well, then ...I might throw in Nacogdoches. I understand some are wanting to change to name. Also, as this rose was a found rose, the true name and/or background is being looked into. Regardless, the Nacogdoches from Chamblees is definitely bulletproof. And yellow is good!

I think Earthkind may soon need catagories. When we suggest a great, bulletproof rose to a neighbor or friend who is just getting started, we try to go with one that would easily fit into a flower bed or border. But some of us love the climbers and the great-honking-man-eating shrubs. Many of those would easily fly through the Earthkind criteria and testing but would not easily fit into just any bed or border. These roses aren't for everyone, but they have definite uses. Say if you need to cover a garage or ugly shed or back fence, or the abandoned mobile home on the neighboring, disused property... ;~)
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7385813

about 30% of earthkind are teas and chinas. which arnt the hardiest of roses.. many ogr are very carefree and most of them are cold hardy. except teas and chinas
mme ernest calvet did great for me . is a year and is 5 ft. its not as ...oh whats the word.. floppy ...as mme isaac . i read that mme earnest calvet is a sport or seedling of mme isaac. its more straight up. my only drawback on most ogr is the once blooming aspect. if i had the space id have em all. i think if i had to pick a type of rose that a new rose grower should veer from it would be newly released hybrid teas.. theres not much info yet .. and ive found that the hardiness is questionable until its been around for years.. does any one else have any good tips for newbies choosing roses .. any what not to do stories lol.. how bout dont plant 2 climbers 3 inches appart (guilty) they are still there and happy but a pruning cleaning nightmare..it was blaze and a noid climber..
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 20, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7385921

Here's my list of favorite hardy roses (no winter protection in Zone 3A) Good repeat or continuous flower.

Shrubs
Red: Linda Campbell
Pink: Morden Centennial
Yellow: Strike It Rich
Light Pink: Morden Blush
Deep Red: Hope for Humanity
Bright Red: Champlain
Peach Pink Blend: Marie Victorin

Climbers:
Pink: John Cabot
Light Pink: John Davis
Red: Quadra

A bit of winter protection required here:
Hot Cocoa
Burgundy Iceberg
Folklore

jojomood
Saint Joseph, MO

December 21, 2009
8:31 AM

Post #7387126

Favorite five?? Well, I have to pick 10 HT's because I have so many beautiful ones to choose from...
Hybrid Teas:
Lucille Ball
Veterans' Honor
Moonstone
Over The Moon
Pope John Paul II
Beloved
Chris Evert
Solitaire
Double Delight
Marilyn Monroe

Floribunda's:
Day Breaker--easy choice-favorite of all 300 roses I grow!
Our Lady of Guadalupe
Chihuly
Pinnacle
Bill Warriner

Grandiflora:
Heart of Gold (Dykstra bred)
Honey Dijon
Gold Medal
Melody Parfumee--what a fragrance!
Mother of Pearl--super bloomer

Mini/Mini-Flora
Autumn Splendor
Robin Alonso
Dr. John Dickman
Heather Sproul
All the horse named roses bred by David Clemons-Whirlaway, Charismatic, Tabasco Cat, Foolish Pleasure, etc...-all gorgeous

Climbers:
New Dawn
Roberta Bondar
Butterscotch
Salita
America

"Others":
Fredric Mistral-Romantica
Belinda's Dream-Shrub
Tamora-Austin
The Prince-Austin
Grace Note--Buck pink
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7387461

I have only tried about 20 different rose varieties. But the best I have in my garden now:

1) Crimson Sky (red climber)
2) Fourth of July
3) Nearly Wid
4) Marmalade Skies
5) Neptume
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7387469

Nearly Wild is a mini that blooms all summer. I's flowers are very colorful and it doesn't get blackspot. This is a rose for a beginner-it is really a pleaser!!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #7387815

foxandfirefly, could your mini be mislabeled? Nearly Wild is an older florib. Absolutely the toughest rose. That poor thing seems to thrive on neglect. It is small, 2-3 ft, so best suited for front of bed, but definitely not a mini. It's not frag. A very easy rose.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64755/

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.4449
NLaw
Fort Worth , TX
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #7400892

I saw Marie Pavie mentioned. It may be my favorite. It's easy, and blooms repeatedly with a wonderful fragrance I've had it in pots for years and just did a big bed full of them. Marie Daly is on the Earthkind list, but not Marie Pavie, which is curious to me.

I also love La Marne, Souvenir de St. Anne's, Penelope, and Iceberg.
NLaw
Fort Worth , TX
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #7400900

Oh, forgot one. Zepherin Drouhin has been my best rose for absolute health. It only blooms once a year though.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7401530

NLaw, does your Zeph only bloom once a year? Do you think it's a zone thing? Mine produces blooms into October or even November - not the crazy bloom of June but there will be perhaps 8-10 flowers on it in October. Maybe it's a rose that like coolness. From what I originally read about it, I shouldn't eeven be able to grow it - I always read that it was zone 6. But a rosarian a little south of here told me that he thought the ratings were wrong, and I've got to say that it's very reliable. And now I'm seeing it rated zone 5.

Glad to see what you have to say about Marie Pavie. I emailed Pickering for a suggestion for a particular location, and it was their recommendation. Two are coming in spring.

As amatter of fact, I really like all the roses you mentioned, particularly St. Anne.

Donna

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7401581

My favorite HT's are Chrysler Imperial, Pope John Paul, and Double Delight.

Favorite Floribundas are About Face and DEFINITELY Black Cherry.

The buds look like hybrid teas and they are the most resistent to disease. The bushes produce many blooms very often.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2009 10:41 AM

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

NLaw
Fort Worth , TX
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7402493

Donna Mack -- you may be right about Zepherin Drouhin liking cool weather. An English gardening friend wanted me to plant it; he said it was a sentimental favorite of his. His family had it and it reminds him of home-- which has much cooler temps than the summer in Texas! I can't complain about its growth and hardiness, or the flowers-- except they don't come back once the bloom is over. This year I'll try to remember to take notes of how long it lasts.

By the way, I know that Souvenir de St.Anne's has been tested by the Earthkind program and it has done very,very well for them. Their comments were that it didn't start out so strong,but that by the end of the testing period it was looking great.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #7402516

You know that say that slowly but surely wins the race!
NLaw
Fort Worth , TX
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7403796

Iris28, this surely isn't news to you, since you've been studying Earthkind roses, but I just learned something. I came across an article that listed roses added to the Earthkind list in 2009. I had more Earthkind roses than I knew! (Texas A+M's rose trials are an ongoing project- so we'll have to see what new ones pass the test in 2010.)

Here is a blurb from the article:
"After the initial 11 cultivars were designated, research
continued to identify additional cultivars that would
grow and thrive with almost no human care. Recent
additions of Ducher, Duchesse de Brabant, George-
town Tea, La Marne, Mme. Antoine Mari, New Dawn,
Souvenir de St. Anne’s and Spice, raise the number of
roses with the Earth-Kind designation to 19. "
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7403933

All pink.

One has to wonder whether the gene for yellow flowers is the very same gene that predisposes a rose to blackspot. And if that same gene is required to produce red flowers...

Sunflare and Autumn Sunset suggest maybe it isn't necessarily so. But there really are few examples of reds and yellows that are truly immune to disease. Anyone grow Liebeszauber? (aka Spire or Love's Magic).

Terri and Donna Mack nominated Tess of the d'Ubervilles which was bullet-proof in my garden. Venu nominated Crown Princess Margarita. I was glad to see Johanna nominated Champlain - a pure red that grew well on five inches of impoverished, dry clay soil in my garden in NJ.

I love Double-Delight; but I have failed with it two or three times. It never makes it to the end of the first season. It may be a pretty good rose for a skilled gardener; but I cannot believe it is a good rose for a beginner.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7404230

Steve812, I have grown Harison's Yellow in the past with no BS problems whatsoever. I found that, although I really liked the rose, it could get quite large and thorny, it is once blooming. Those three qualities would make me hesitate to recomend Harison's Yellow to a newbie. I love a great-honkin'-thorny rose that can be left on the "back forty" with little attention--so I really like HY but still...That being said I never did see any BS on that rose. Maybe others have.

Also, Teasing Georgia is proving to be obnoxiously healthy for me here in TX. Only the first year for me, but from what I've heard and read it will be another great-honkin' rose for me. Not too thorny, though. Another I wouldn't recommend right off the bat just because of the size issue. But no BS that I can find.

Somehow I think those two yellows have escaped the BS but I do find it in the few other yellows I have. Not too much in the Teas, though. But Teas don't do well everywhere.

I found with Tess that she does get a mild case of BS with the second or third flush of blooms but if I hose her down (or in this past year's case just ignore her) she comes back and seems to be fine for the rest of the year. Sort of like a yearly mild case of the flu.

Oh, I think think CPM is outstanding as well. I'm trying not to muddy the waters with more than the five or so varieties I've nominated thus far. This being such an excellent topic for discussion I'm finding it hard to disagree with anyone's nominations and hard not to follow up with more suggestions =~)!
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #7404689

Terri,
I grew Harrison's yellow for three years in NJ. If I remember correctly, it was weak and spindly, making a single three foot cane each year and flowering only at the ends of the canes. Perhaps it was too close to a neighboring cedar. In any case it got shovel pruned. Playboy did well where HY had failed. HY may be better suited to warmer climates.

I will definitely add Teasing Georgia to my list; thanks for the recommendation. So many people recommend it. And I think it always looks lovely in the photos I see of it.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7404732

i read somewhere that yellows are prone more so to blackspot, but i have a red that gets it more than others so ...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 28, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #7404761

Yellows that have been disease resistant for me are Teasing Georgia, Julia Child, and (if you want VIGOROUS) Mermaid, but she isn't very freeze hardy I hear.
diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7404843

Sunsprite has been a good yellow for me. And it smell nice too!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

December 28, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #7405076

Mind if I join in a little? Sunsprite is also a good yellow for me as well as Persian Yellow. Austrian Copper is very hardy in my area. Nobody has mentioned my most vigorous rose, Sally Holmes. And when we get lots of snow in the winter, Northern Explorer, Henry Kelsey has a very good time in the early summer.
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #7405866

I grew Sally Holmes and Henry Kelsey both, and I hold them in really high regard. Here's HK framing an old rose, possibly Fantin Latour at a garden in NJ.

Thumbnail by Steve812

Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #7405869

A spray of white flowers from Sally Holmes.

Thumbnail by Steve812

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7406712

Ooooo, Mermaid! I'd forgotten about that one. Thank you for reminding me. I went for three years between leaving the garden up north and finally moving into the house and starting the garden down south. I feel as if I need reminding of the roses I had on my wish list up north--many of which I felt I couldn't try in the north due to climate. Mermaid was one of them. And Chamblee's has it! Burgundy Iceberg, suggested earlier in this thread, is there as well. Thus I begin my planned spring run over to Tyler and Chamblee's! Mrs. Oakley Fisher is probably one of the only HT's on my Chamblee's list. No one has mention her, but she rates an 8.3 in the American Rose Society Handbook for Selecting Roses. She's an oldie but a goodie!.

And, yes Steve, I think Harison's Yellow is reputed to do much better in the South. I understand many are found in old graveyards around here--going strong on complete neglect. For me it needed a couple of years to really take off when I had it up north. I felt I was pushing the zone envelope for that rose as well. But once it got going it did well for me.
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #7407293

I have never grown Mrs Oakley Fisher, but when I have seen it in bloom I have been impressed. And it's one of the few HT roses that looks good out of bloom. It may be better thought of as a modern shrub.

I saw Mermaid growing at the ARE retail center in Brenham TX. The trunk was six inches in diameter and the tippy top of the plant must have been at least 30 ft in the air. It was the size of a 20 year old maple, replete with dark glossy foliage and flowers almost 5 inches across, a reminder that there was an ancient common ancestor to magnolias and roses.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7407380

Cool!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #7410240

Harison's is HORRENDOUSLY hardy in zone 5. It is a rose that will grown in some shade or full sun. It takes a few years to get going but is well worth the wait.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7419166

Vossner--I don't think my "Nearly Wild" was mislabeled. It fits all of your description and pictures. As I mentioned, it thrives pretty much without special care (no fungicides and bug spray are needed) and looks fabulous for all of the growing season. It also is extremely hardy, and currently still has green leaves on it!! I have kept it in a pot for the past two summers to see how it behaved. It has passed my test and will be planted in the front yard. Only the "good" ones will go out front.

I am happy to see "Hansa" and "Mme Alfred Carriere" were also listed--I have these roses and love them. Hansa is kind of big, and mine bloomed only once this year. I think the kooky weather messed up the cycle. For the past 3 years, I got a 2nd flush in the fall. The fragrance is wonderful!!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7419631

Fox, are you calling your Nearly Wild a mini b/c it is small (and it is a shortie, perfect for front of the border) or did your label say it was a mini?

NW is a florib. and neither flowers or foliage are mini. I think is one of my faves for that very reason. Shrub and blooms are very noticeable ever from afar and non-stop blooming. One minus: wicked thorns but since it is so low maint, not a big issue.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7448960

I love this thread! Two of my roses died in the drought and heat this summer, so I'm looking for replacements. I think Hansa is one that I tried to buy a year or two ago and the people at ARE told me not to get it b/c it's a cold weather rose. In fact, they had it in the air conditioned green house. Wish I'd seen that giant Mermaid rose though. Don't know how I missed it.

If I were recommending to a newby, I'd have to go with an earthkind rose even though one of my earthkind roses, Belinda's Dream, died this summer! The earthkind tests were limited to Texas and its unique climate, so northern growers have to be careful when selecting one.

If I were moving to a new house in the south, the first rose that I would plant would be Francis Dubrieul. In fact, I thought of replacing the dead roses with more Francis Dubrieul roses. I can't resist trying new ones though. I was leaning toward Mrs. Dudley Cross and Jude the Obscure, but I don't see those anywhere on this list, so now I'm worried!

Best yellow? Definitely Julia Child although it's such a small rose. Why doesn't there seem to be a happy medium between two foot roses and big honkin' roses?
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

January 10, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7449024

Let me add my thanks to all of you for contributing to this thread. It gives me a new wish list from which to draw.

I noticed a lot of the posters were looking at northern criteria, but there are quite a few roses mentioned here that have performed beautifully even here in South Louisiana. New Dawn and Eden are both hardy and prolific here. Hot Cocoa, obviously, is a non-stop showstopper for us. Marie Pavie takes repeated abuse (she's near a pathway and frequently gets whacks back, no matter what the season) and keeps on going. Dublin Bay and Autumn Sunset also are winners here. I've also had great luck with Madame Alfred Carriere and ZD. I do have Seafoam growing, but it's rather timid here... stingy with the blooms and not as hardy as I anticipated it would be. I also have poor luck with Belinda's Dream, a rose that thrives for literally every one else I know. I'm guessing it must be something about the ground where I keep insisting it should go, as nobody else seems to have the same awful track record with it that I do. Crown Princess Margareta is also decidedly unhappy here. I think we're just too hot for her disposition!

Teasing Georgia has been mentioned in a few posts and I will repeat what I often say about it... it should be renamed Taming Georgia because that is what you will find a necessary part of growing her! That rose will eat your garden if not given enough space, but she blooms and blooms and blooms some more, with no blackspot or bug issues whatsoever. She's a great performer if you don't care about manners!

iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7449135

here is a link to the article if anyone missed it. it was bumped up a few days. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2725/
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2010
1:55 AM

Post #7474738

Vossner--I am sorry. I didn't realize you were referring to rose classes. You are probably right--Nearly Wild is in the floribunda class. It is a small rose, and it does seem like a mini. I didn't realize what I said. Sorry for the incorrect info.
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7492002

Me and Elphaba have similar tastes!

Here is my list of favorites...way longer than just 5! I do not baby my roses, they are not sprayed unless under extreme circumstances, and I do not water them unless it is truly a drought. These have stood the heat and humidity of East Texas with full all day sun exposure and have thrived. I have seen very little blackspot. Some might be Earthkind...you'll have to "weed" those out.

Heritage
4th of July
Dame De Couer
Francis Dubreuill
Mrs BR Cant
Abraham Darby
Lace Cascade
About Face
Maggie
Dreamweaver
Tradescant
Monsieur Tillier
Duchesse Du Brabant
Belinda's Dream
and the very best yellow of all time: Julia Childs
NLaw
Fort Worth , TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #7500219

Blissful Garden, I also didn't do well with Belinda's Dream. I put quite a few in a bed, after really studying to choose a rose that would be healthy, tough, and beautiful. After about three years of trying, I just pitched them out. Two possible problems: I kept them at about 4 ft. tall, maybe smaller than they wanted to be? The other thing was that they got thrips that I couldn't seem to shake even with some serious effort.

There are lots of roses out there. Bye bye Belinda! I'll enjoy her in photos from other people's gardens.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7501837

My Belindas Dream died after a major bout with thrips followed by that terrible drought last summer. It was gorgeous for 5 years though. My thrips problem started with a pale yellow rose Blumenschmidt. It took years to spread, but last year, it was terrible. They sell nematodes that attack thrips when they pupate in the soil and predatory mites that attack thrips at all stages. That's my plan for this spring.

The other thing to try is darker roses. Thrips are attracted to pink, white and pastel roses. If you buy reds, purples and dark yellows, you'll have less of a problem.

Since I'm posting again, I'll mention a few other favorite roses Cl. Pinkie, Maggie and Souvenir de la Malmaison.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7501909

Sometimes it just doesn't work. I have failed with three Icebergs, and I just love that rose. It's the only rose of at least 20 different kinds that didn't work in my 5a yard. Such a shame - it bloomed into November in my yard. But despite heavy mulching with compost, and even burlapping, if it made it through the winter it simply dwindled down to nothing.

Elphaba, I don't know how organic you are (I try my best to be) but I used acephate to rid my peonies of thrips. It's a short lived systemic. I should say that our growing season is much shorter than yours, and I use it in April for thrips and any really stubborn aphids that attack my roses. Our hummer, bees and ladybugs don't show up until May or later.

Of course, that assumes you want to take any advice from someone who can't grow ICEBERG, which has got to be the most successful rose in the world!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7501967

DonnaMack, I wouldn't feel bad about Iceberg if I were you.

I was on a rose forum over ten years ago (I think it was the old ARS forum--it doesn't seem to be there anymore). Anyway, everyone was raving about Fisherman's Friend. It was such an awesome some. Hardy and bullet-proof! Being and Austin fan I just had to try it. It was supposed to be the perfect rose for zone 5. The first two died on me after the first year. Bought two more from a different source. Those lasted about six months. Everyone said I must have planted too deep, too shallow, etc. Tried one last time. I think those started coughing up blood as they heard me tearing open the box! All three trials resulted in BS and any other rose sickness you can name before the plants themselves gave up the ghost.

I know some folks still swear that FF is an awesome rose, but not for me! It is my rose Albatross! We must all have one and mine is Fisherman's Friend.
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7502020

I failed with Iceberg, too. But I can't remember the particulars.

I have become so jaded about "great roses," I'm afraid that any time someone who grows a rose on the west coast claims a rose "is a world-beater - grows 25 feet in every direction its first year, never requires water or food, is covered in blooms from February through October, never gets disease," I visualize an eight inch tall stick-like thing denuded by blackspot that bears single anemic flower that lasts for one day in May and dissolves completely in 90F August heat. I give slightly more credence to people who garden where summers are hot and muggy and winters are frigid. Indianapolis or Calgary, for example.

Occasionally a rose works well in the garden. And when it does I am happy with it.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7502196

LOL! All three of you gave me a good laugh. I have Burgundy Iceberg and it looks to be near death. I even accidentally stepped on the poor thing. It's true that what grows well for one person won't necessarily grow well for another. That's why we should all buy lots and lots of roses to find those that are best for us!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7502451

I love the part about coughing up blood when it heard you open the box.

Just remembered - had the same experience with Crimson Bouquet. Got them from the Old Edmunds Roses in 2003, when I also bought several other roses that still blow kisses to me (3 Morden Blush and a Dublin Bay).

He sent me two. They died. He kindly sent me two more - they died. Was it the soil? The two roses I put there the next year and still amongst the living (and thriving!)

I too like to get rose advice from people in zone 4. Never lost one of those guys. Although Zeph (I've seen every zone from 5a to 6b) does wonderfully - exposed all winter - on the north side of my yard!

Donna

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 4:43 PM
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7519108

Found one of the pictures of Fourth of July climber. Thought you'd like to see it since it appeared on some of the lists. Mine has nearly risen from ashes and never looked better last summer.

Last winter, I saw one at a local public garden and could see how big they can get. They are prolific once established. The bonus is lovely hips!!

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly

iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7519114

great pic ive been thinking of getting that one .. they say its ok for shade
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7519124

Here's a close-up--to help you get an idea of the lovely red, white and yellow colors of Fourth of July. The blooms come in clusters and flushes all summer.

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly

Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7519143

Thanks--mine is under a huge oak, but it does get ample light, especiallymid to late afternoon. Most of my rose garden is in part shade. I know I would get more flowers if I had more sunlight!!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7530074

I still love the old hybrid tea Tropicana. I was very enthused about Full Sail, a fragrant grandiflora, but water spots it. As for climbers, I love America. I am leaning towards Grandifloras and climber. I also check to see if a rose is an AARS winner. I mostly have bought from J&P but now have an Edmond's catalogue.
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7531395

woodspirit, don't you have to spray Tropicana and lavish care on it? I ask because I saw it once growing in a municipal garden in NJ - an AARS evaluation garden where roses get very good care. And Tropicana was among the worst looking roses there. Small, scrawny blooms on spindly little plants. What's your secret to success with it?

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7531520

I think I lavish it with a bit more Peter's and it like a little bit of beer from time to time, I swear.
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7532039

Beer. The super-secret ingredient to successful rose gardening! And I was tempted to believe woodspirit referred to methanol or to the sense of wonder that comes from being in a forest.

Peters' is good. And I bet beer does help more than we might first imagine.

Thanks for the tips.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7532050

Steve812 wrote:woodspirit, don't you have to spray Tropicana and lavish care on it? I ask because I saw it once growing in a municipal garden in NJ - an AARS evaluation garden where roses get very good care. And Tropicana was among the worst looking roses there. Small, scrawny blooms on spindly little plants. What's your secret to success with it?

it could be that the graft was old.. or rmv took down the health of that particular plant.. what is it like 70% of the grafted stock in the us has rmv. sometimes you can see it sometimes you cant. i had a Tiffany that was here and was so shabby looking no matter what i did, it only had 2 canes and one bloom. it was old. so i bought a new one and its 5 ft after one season. so you cant really judge a variety based on seeing one. it is a popular rose and wouldnt be so if it looked horrible everywhere
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7532058

beer is good i put it in my alfalfa tea.. and molasses and vit b 12
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7532067

Dana, Good point about judging a rose from one observation.

I wonder if real draft beer is better than pasturized: yeast manufactures b vitamins (esp b12) from sugars.
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7532089

The top five roses I have in my garden (non earthkind--most of mine are earthkind)--this changes yearly depending on the seasons that year. DFW can get highly variable seasonal climates. Sometimes we'll be dry as a bone all year, sometimes it rains for months.

Queen Elizabeth http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1046/
Sunset http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.6114
Climbing Angel Face http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/342/
Bill Warriner http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63037/
Climbing Iceburg http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68348/

Top five roses I don't have that aren't earthkind, but wish I had room for them
Climbing America
Fouth of July
Eden
Hot Cocoa
Outrageous http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/130790/

iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7532246

get eden asap!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7532325

My Hot Cocoa has been a real trouper, a very nice healthy rose.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 5, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7532347

Me too, Hot Cocoa is awesome. I over winter it in my veggie garden and have had it in a large container the past couple of years. (still doing yard changes with flowerbeds & such). It was very bright sunlight when this photo was taken, so the color isn't as strong

Thumbnail by joannabanana

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 5, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7532354

Here's a better picture of Hot Cocoa

NLaw
Fort Worth , TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7532795

joannabanana, the Hot Cocoa color is luscious. I had heard the name before but I don't think I'd seen a picture. I wonder if it would do well down here in Texas? I REALLY love that color, so I'm going to have to look into it.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 5, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7533632

I had a lovely Hot Cocoa for one season, but it sort of wasted away. There are not many roses that aren't old garden or Earthkind that do well here, but I give them minimal care.However Tropicana is one that has done quite well for many years. Now the beer.. is that for the rose or for its admirers?
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #7534552

both
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

February 6, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7534633

NLaw, Hot Cocoa should do fine for you. It would definitely be in my "Top 5"... Here's a photo of how the blooms look down here in zone 8b South Louisiana.

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 6, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7534687

Oh, I should mention that last summer I put 1/4 cup of Epsom Salts per rose every 3 weeks or so around the base of the bush and let the rain or watering soak it in slowly. All the roses had stronger colors and the blooms were noticeably larger than past years..

I agree and think the cooler temperatures would affect the color too. Also, a lot of the Hybrid Teas will have red foliage in early spring when the nights are quite chilly.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 11:20 PM
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 6, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7534697

Here's the same Hot Cocoa in 1998

ksgarden95
Hesston, KS

February 7, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #7537197

This past summer we had more rain than usual and I didn't spray, so I saw black spot on roses that didn't normally get it.
The roses that didn't get blackspot and bloomed well were Sunsprite and Westerland. They were both impressive in the number of blooms and the length of season.
Marie Pavie, I've had for years and it does super also.
A newer one that did well also was Mme Marie Curie.
Great question and sharing. (I've killed iceburg too!).
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7537894

Thank you KSGarden! I'm replacing my dead Icebergs with Marie Pavie. Yay! Coming in April from Pickering. When I told them about my problrm, they did some research and suggested it.. They are awesome with advice.

Donna

This message was edited Feb 11, 2010 3:20 PM
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7551336

My favorite is Tiffany (it's "daughter" rose, Belinda's Dream is earthkind). I got Tiffany because that is my dog's name, but I love the color and fragrance.

My least favorite is Peace, I managed to kill a few of them and gave up on that one.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7551898

That's the trouble with this world. Not enough people like Peace.

(sorry)

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #7552022

How about Chicago Peace?
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7552251

I think people like the idea of Peace, but when it comes dow to hare hands "work", they run from it. (Sorry-I had to be bad for a moment.)

I am wondering why "Royal Sunset" is absent from these forums. It won an ARS award some time ago, yet it is hard to find. It is a yellow climber.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7553542

Although I love Royal Sunset it can get quite large. I think we were to select roses for first timers or the one "must have to complete the garden rose" or for people who have been disappointed with roses in the past. Sometimes the large roses and climbers can be intimidating to a first time rose grower. If we were to select nominees for Earthkind in the climbers only catagory then I, personally, would put Royal Sunset in my top five.
diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7553615

To add to that, all the comments on Royal Sunset puts it in the 6a and over zone, which knocks me out of the picture. I'm 5a-b zone person. If more zone 5 people were to talk it up, I might consider this rose. Very nice looking.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #7555234

I am not a rosarian and only have a few roses; so what the heck does Earthkind mean?
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #7555362

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2725/
heres a link to my earthkind article :)

This message was edited Feb 12, 2010 11:28 PM

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #7562654

thanks so much. Of course this is an important thing to know.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7563482

I really enjoy reading about the different results that people are having with the same roses. I have many of those mentioned and will try some of the suggestions that have helped to keep them thriving.

Does anyone know where "Eureka" can be purchased. It was a Jackson and Perkins (when they were very reputable) in 2003. I had to leave it behind when we moved and I can't find it anywhere.

Of course the Hot Cocoa, Pope John Paul, Chicago Peace and many of the newer ones are keeping my happy, but I miss my Eureka.

Teri
diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7563528

Hi Teri, HMF lists four different "Eureka" roses! show us whitch one and we'll help you look.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php?searchNmTyp=2&searchNm=Eureka&rid=4454&tab=1

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7563582

Hi Diamond,

DG has a picture of it but no info on vendors.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/172398/

Thanks

Teri
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7563756

If it is the Eureka that Calif_Sue was talking about in a previous thread then it would be the Kordes Floribunda, http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.35673&tab=1. Help Me Find lists several current vendors asside from J & P. It is a lovely rose and is on my "list".
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7564083

Hee. When I started reading the thread I missed the OP saying why the roses shouldn't be Earthkind. Spent a few confused minutes looking at search results and wondering what was wrong with Earthkind. I was imagining a sad tale of jobs lost to uncaring environmental regulators and a vow to boycott any product advertised as environmentally sound when I reread the OP. Sorry!

Fourth of July is thriving in what I now realize is part shade, between two houses. It gets at least a few hours of direct sun, though. (I've tried and failed to flower plants in "part shade" that was really "all shade, just not actually under a barrel.") It keeps on putting out big clumps of bloom until frost. It has just a little rose-apple scent, but a little is much better than none.

I haven't yet decided on a light pink climber. New Dawn is beautiful and tough, but I often see it (especially in part shade) without bloom in summer months. Eden is gorgeous, but will it open those big double blooms in alternating rain and hot sun? And does it rebloom faster than New Dawn?
diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7564681

Teri, I purchased a rose similar last year to eureka (it does not replace the rose your looking for), but it is similar, it's called "South Africa" introduced by Palatines it is an award winner also. This rose really performed for me with no BS or mildew. This is a great rose and I highly reccommend it. Here is a link for more info.

http://www.palatineroses.com/rose/south-africa-garden-rose-floribunda-yellow-blend/
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7564714

dawnsharon2001 wrote:Hee. When I started reading the thread I missed the OP saying why the roses shouldn't be Earthkind. Spent a few confused minutes looking at search results and wondering what was wrong with Earthkind. I was imagining a sad tale of jobs lost to uncaring environmental regulators and a vow to boycott any product advertised as environmentally sound when I reread the OP. Sorry!

Fourth of July is thriving in what I now realize is part shade, between two houses. It gets at least a few hours of direct sun, though. (I've tried and failed to flower plants in "part shade" that was really "all shade, just not actually under a barrel.") It keeps on putting out big clumps of bloom until frost. It has just a little rose-apple scent, but a little is much better than none.

I haven't yet decided on a light pink climber. New Dawn is beautiful and tough, but I often see it (especially in part shade) without bloom in summer months. Eden is gorgeous, but will it open those big double blooms in alternating rain and hot sun? And does it rebloom faster than New Dawn?

new dawn does rest somewhat in the summer. mine always has blooms , but with big flushes through may/june and aug/sept. eden will get a fairly good repeat in its third yr. im not sure i follow on the alternating rain/sun do you mean like rain one day and sunny the next? i havnt noticed a balling tendency as bad as others but i suppose if it rained for a week as they were opening they might. its such a big flower that even if the outside balls it will still open, at least these are my observations in my garden. hey funny thing, my maiden name is sharon and im from nyc too
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 17, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7565829

I have two New Dawns, the one in the shade blooms very little in the middle of summer while the one in the sun has a few flowers all season and huge flushes in the spring and fall. I love the clear pale pink color and would keep it even if it were a once bloomer.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7566274

We have a lot rain here and I have to be careful what roses I pick. If the blossoms have over 35 petals, they will rot while trying to open.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7566386

Thanks Diamond. I will look into that one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America