doing research.. list your top 5 roses ...

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

list your top 5 rose in terms of bloom power vigor and plant shape and resistance. the catch is they cant be earthkind .. my article is on earthkind and i want to add list of roses worth trying if youve been disappointed by trying to grow roses.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

"Hansa" a rugosa;
"FJ Grootendorst", a rugosa (and its pink sister);
"HC Anderson" (aka "America's Choice") a floribunda;
Rosa viridiflora (the green rose);
"Goldfinch" a Polyantha climber

These are all trouble free hardy live forever with NO CARE roses that do well in cold winter areas.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 6:43 AM

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

White Pearl in Red Dragons Mouth...Smiths Parish, Cornelia, Noella Nabonnand, and Madame Alfred Carriere

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

Five that did well on poor soil in NJ with no additional care: Sea Foam, Felicite et Perpetue, Felicia, Graham Thomas, Zepherine Drouhin.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Eden, FJ Grootendorst, Crown Princess Margarita, Zepherine Drouhin and Autumn Sunset. And Bantry Bay in case any of the mentioned are Earthkind.

with all these suggestions i think ill link this thread instead of listing. keep em coming..

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Helpful thread!

Hi Dave :), do you have any roses to add?

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5b)

I only have one to add, Rose de Rescht. And I second Cornelia.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

My list would be from two different zones. Stanwell Perpetual, Heritage, Grace, Henry Hudson, and a tie between Mary Rose and Linda Campbell. I just can't make up my mind between those two.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Quadra, Heidesommer, Gruss an Aachen, Marchesa Bocchella, Dublin Bay. Also the wonderful Morden Blush.

Seafoam is wonderful too but I believe that it is an Earthkind.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 10:32 AM

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I love Linda Campbell, but she's a bit shy here. I've moved her up next to the house, maybe the protection will help her along.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Kathleen, I had Linda Campbell when living in zone 5 near Chicago. She was growing (I has three, actually) in a bed at the south side of a brick house. She bloomed almost non-stop throughout summer for me so I think the reflected heat may have helped.

(I should have mentioned that I have Linda on order and want to grow her here in zone 8a)

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 12:01 PM

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

My favorites are William Baffin and John Cabot (Canadian Explorer), Therese Bugnet (rugosa), Gourmet Popcorn, and Hot Cocoa. All tough enough to survive cold, dry, windy high-desert winters. I second Autumn Sunset and Morden Blush, and would throw in Westerland as well. And Alba Meidiland and Chuckles and Morden Centennial too. I guess that's way more than five. :-o

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

"Sea Foam is Earthkind." I should have known. Does that mean I get another vote? How about: Ghislaine de Feligonde, Midas Touch, Electron, Olympiad, Henry Kelsey, Sally Holmes. It's really hard to stick to the rules of this game, isn't it?

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

What does Earthkind mean?

it is a program designed by the agriculture dept of texas a&M to determine the most disease resistant and vigorous roses.

great lists everyone! lets change it up a bit.. what one rose would you suggest to someone who has never grown roses and wants to try just one..

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just did that! Alexander MacKenzie. Same program as Quadra. If I had any more room it's the rose I would add. Extremely hardy, fragrant (the scent has been described as that of raspberry). Deep reddish new foliage. Completely disease resistant. Hardy to about zone 3. Repeatedly blooms. Very double flowers.

The person asked for an easy beautiful rose, and asked what I would choose - and that was it.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

That is a tough question. If I had to have just one...ok, that isn't happening. If I had to suggest one to try starting out, in my climate (heavy snow, short springs, sometimes hot, sometimes chilly, always humid summers) it would probably be FJ Grootendorst. Never black spots, blooms from May to December, given half a chance and the blossoms look like little carnations. I'm including a picture, and yes, that is snow in the background. Drawback - no discernible fragrance, it has some of the world's nastier thorns.

Oh, hey, I have Hot Cocoa and it is a trouper, as long as it is in a protected spot here.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 2:34 PM

Thumbnail by Kathleen

hot cocoa is a great one it gets huge .. and never defoliates, always blooming too

Just one??? Eden.

Thumbnail by venu209
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, wicked no fair! =~)

Just one?

Oddly enough I would pick Iceberg. Its not in my above list as I think it needs extra water and once a month fertilizing to really look it's best. But that is doable. If the person had lots of room then I would pick Reve d'Or. But if we're picking a rose to convince someone that you have to have at least one rose in your garden to make the show complete, then I would pick Iceberg.

(edited to correct my lousy spelling)

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 2:06 PM

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Terru

Which Iceberg would you chose?

Garyt

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Iceberg, the floribunda, Kordes, the 1959 (or 1958) version.

Sorry 'bout that!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, and sorry again. Chamblee's is listing Reve d'Or as an Earthkind rose. I did not know it was on the list!

lol i was wondering when iceberg would pop up

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

I thought the list of Earth-Kind Roses would be longer; but it can be seen at TAMU http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/EKRoses.pdf.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

The only rose that I have had complete success with in both NJ and TX is New Dawn. I think it's a pretty good rose for people new to roses. (Sun Flare and Ballerina, though, are close behind.) Being a climber, it forces people to think of roses as something other than just cut flowers or ugly plants for beds. This has a transformative effect on the way they think of gardens and gardening. At least it did for me.

there is a reason that it holds the first plant patent. it really is a great rose. a classic and one of my favorites.. rose growing should make you happy and not worrisome. new dawn does that for me. its bullet proof. its sad that people are scared off by weak new cultivars that have not stood the test of time and only look good on paper. once they get in typical gardens they languish. of course there are variables. like how pretty much any rose is going to thrive in California . but put it in zone 5 or 6 and see what happens . or the south blackspot country.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Dana, didn't mean to ignore your thread. I gave this a lot of thought and realized among my must haves they were mostly earthlink, so...

Other than that, I don't have top five per se. I get them b/c I'm "hot" for the color red, or I travelled to France and decided I needed a rose by a french hibridizer, or a mini at the supermarket was simply too pretty to pass up. I'm like the Tiger Woods of roses (snicker)

If this helps your research, I seem to favor shrubs and floribs but that's as specific as I can get. I don't care about BS b/c in humid Houston, can't be avoided so I can't make that a criteria. Even the so-called BS resistant, get it, so I don't even fight it. Cold or heat tolerance is another non-issue for me. I usually stay away from HTs but some old tried and true like Tropicana will always be in my garden.

sorry I couldn't be more help

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

to answer your 2nd question, I would recommend any KO to a non-gardener who thinks she/he might want roses and I would recommend Belinda's Dream, an eartkind, to a gardener newbie who has fallen for roses. How do I make the distinction? You can just tell by the way they talk or the things they say about gardening in general or if their hands are eternally manicured. No way are gardeners, lol.

lol it took me a minute to get the tiger thing .. lol both knock out and belindas dream are earthkind lol... its the im hot for the colors that get non rose people in trouble.. you see a retouched photo in a catalog and it dosnt end up lookin so hot.. sometimes. i pick roses for very different reasons.. some on shape some on bloom form some for their history. there are so many perfect roses but not a single perfect rose. it all depends what you want out of it ..that why we end up with 100 roses on a regular suburban lot

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Hi Venu! I could always fit in a rose or two. This thread will be a help when I'm ready.
I just don't really bother with Hybrid teas

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

I've grown Goldfinch and Autumn Sunset and strongly agree that they are good choices. I have killed Mme Alfred Carriere four times in three locations - each time delivered as healthy gallons - if memory serves me correctly. Only Souvenir de la Malmaison equals that record.

I wonder, will anyone else nominate Olympiad, Marie Pavie, Abe Darby or Gourmet Popcorn?

Venu-thanks for the photo of Eden. It looks really lush and full of blooms.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Steve812, I would have actually nominated Abe Darby, and Tess (of the) d'Ubervilles for that matter, being the Austin lover that I am. However, those two can get tall before they fill out and both can take a couple of years to really get going. I find that some folks get thrown off by the wait. When I had Abe I grew him as a short climber. I'm kind of like Vossner, though. I try to avoid most of the hybrid teas, but I will try almost any other rose. And I fall in love with most of them =~/! I find myself agreeing with all of the choices of the others. I particularly agree with New Dawn. I had that one up north as well and it is another I want to try here in Texas.

And thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. Does it seem like a lot of the Earthkind roses are pink? Or is that just me? I was trying to throw in a few color variations in my selections.

iris28, did I commit a faux pas by mentioning Iceberg?

abe darby is great but the nodding blooms may turn off a first time rose grower, i love it though. eden does bloom its head off and i love its growing habit. the perfect pillar.

terri that was kind of my point of this thread all earthkind are pink and i wanted to get a list going of great roses for newbies with some other colors in there... no faux pas.. iceberg is so known and loved i figured someone would add it.. i love burgundy iceberg its almost as dark as the pics. its pretty. and pretty carefree

For a non pink, I would have to nominate Crown Princess Margarita or Autumn Sunset. Both are very vigorous, with minimal care. CPM:

Thumbnail by venu209
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just ordered 2 Marie Pavie (the suggestion of Pickering Nurseries in Canada) because, for whatever reason, I've lost all three Icebergs I put in. I have a good 15 types of roses, and it's the only one I ever lost (ALL 3). They just seem weak in my yard. I tried mounding the second and third with compost and burlapping them, which theoretically shouldn't have been necessary. I've been corresponding with someone else who had the same experience. I got them from some of the best regarded providers, from whom I got other roses that thrived. Go figure.

I think Tess rocks. I've had it since 2003. The good - unfading red flowers, disease resistance (for me, no blackspot ot mildew) beautiful foliage, very good rebloom. But it's incredibly thorny and grows oddly. DA says 3-4 feet or 6-8 as a climber. You tend to get both. It's a great rose, but perhaps not for a first timer.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.