Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Coffee Bean Germination

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ferrick
Austin, TX

December 13, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7365605

Hi. I've recently had some luck (about the same yield as what Sweet Maria's expected -- 20-30%) germination coffee beans of different varieties.

I've discovered some problems that I had some questions about. Maybe someone could help.

The beans imbibe quickly (within 24 hours, usually) and the radicals are extremely fragile. Is it best to plant before the radical gets too long to break off?

As seedlings, am I going to have problems with low altitude? I know I can control temperature and soil conditions easily.

Thanks
Ademuyiwa
Ile-Ife
Nigeria

December 23, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7392744

I believe working with seeds like this need alot of patience and accuracy. Please, patiently plant the seeds immediately you discovered that there is no increment in seed size or weight (or no enlargement of seed size ) but before the radicle emerge.

Regards,

Ademuyiwa
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #7393026

Isn't the issue of altitude just about the temperature/climate?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America