Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Tall, spear like, white with pink tip?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Violet
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2001
5:41 PM

Post #14419

The "flower" part of this plant doesn't look like a flower but kind of looks like a spear that can be up to a foot long, perfectly vertical. The overall form is spear like (slender 5"- 12" spikes) similar to the form of a lupine or cattail, only it does not have individual florettes like the lupine but rather soft white segments which resemble the look of a pine cone which has not opened yet (and points up, not down). The "tail" or "cone" is stiff, and perfectly vertical.

There are several (5-12) thin stalks from the base of the main plant. Total height of each stalk including the spear runs about 4.5-5.5 feet tall. At the top of the stalks is the white (perfectly cylindrical) spear that comes to a point at the top. The very tip, which is the top, is a dark pink color where the new growth is, about 1/2 inch, as the new growth matures, it turns white and the cone's get longer (taller). It's stiff, while the surface is soft. All along the spear in the white segments are tiny black seeds inside.

Can someone please direct me to a picture on the internet or possiblilties?

Thanks so much!
Baa

September 26, 2001
7:53 PM

Post #134917

Celosia spicata was my first thought but the height varies from abour 1.5 ft to 3ft
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2001
8:53 PM

Post #134944

This is a totally wild guess, but try looking at some things called Echium.
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2001
4:00 PM

Post #136862

What about Veronicastrum? a hardy perennial with the same type of flowers(spearettes)..just a guess. Elaine
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 1, 2001
5:54 AM

Post #137199

Hi Violet,

I have this very plant and you described it perfectly. It is a Celosia "Pink Flamingo". In fact, I went around to my 5 plants today and dead headed lots of them that were seeding. Mine is also close to 4 ft. tall.

Donna

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America