-
AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7367296

Hi All, We need to put in a new kitchen sink and a new faucet. The faucet will be one of those pull down thingies...DH's only comment is that it has to have ceramic ball bearings...or something like that. They are more expensive, of course, but promise a longer life. Any comments on what has worked well for you and what has not?

My real question however is the sink. I want a one-bowl sink, not two side-by-side sinks-in-one. We are looking at the sinks that are made of a composite material. Not stainless or cast iron. We're partial to the dark colored ones. Any comments, either on the composite sink material or a one-big-sink idea?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 14, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7367948

You could have a cement sink made in any color and size. As for faucets, there are so many to choose from.

We have Amneican Standard where the faucet is a sprayer - just pull it out.
We replaced our sink with a double deep bowl stainless, and added a soap dispenser, and biggest in-sink-erator disposer made.

Our son's sink is a single large rectangular stainless custom built with antique brass fixtures - very high $$$. He also has the biggest jenn-aire range top I've ever seen and has another antique brass faucet that can fill a pot anywhere in the range area..
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7370633

There was just a segment on This Old House about faucets. The "plumber/heating guy highly recommended faucets with ceramic workings. My DD has a dark composite kitchen sink. She likes it a lot and has no complaints.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7371781

Great! Thanks so much for the feedback. Bubba, I'm not sure a cement sink is what I would pick even though getting just the color I want is attractive.

Thanks again for the input.
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #7404492

We love single sinks. Had one, went to a double bowl for 15 yrs, then thankfully yanked it out and replaced it with a super-size single Swanstone sink that's 33x22".

We're very pleased with the Swanstone sink. Easy to clean and tough. It can be undermounted or top-mounted - we had to top-mount because our sink cab wasn't big enough for an undermount. On the 'other' kitchen forum (Gardenweb) there are also many favorable comments about the Blanco Silgranit sinks. Swanstone also makes a version of this type, and I believe Blanco makes a generic version for Home Depot's private-label line. The new dark brown Silgranit is very handsome, especially with an ORB finish faucet.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7409269

Thanks jkom...I Googled the Blanco Silgranit sinks and they really look nice but a bit pricey. Our budget for both the sink and new faucet is about $500. Still shopping.
jerjer19
Schenectady, NY

July 14, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7968512

Seriously, I would check out this site called MR Direct. So far they are about the cheapest I could find for sinks. Here is the link:
http://www.mrdirectint.com

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 5:00 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 198 Apr 30, 2014 6:14 PM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America