Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: New bees Seed Junkie chit chat Come in!! 12-14-09

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 430, Views: 1,641
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7367440

Come on in everyone beware of creeping vines.. We came form here'''
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060247/

Direction for free seed here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Bed for newbies here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Jan's Seed Auction here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036526/#new

The high priestess and her Loyal followers Brug sprout off contest
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037643/

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7367508

I found you Robin, but the thread didn't carry over from the previous one. Maybe we should recheck the address.

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7367523

Hmm !!! Imagine that ...I just tried it I will go have another look.BRB
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7367529

How is that Al? Mindy are you here?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7367573

Me, too.
After my walk in the woods.
52f. Sorta Cloudy but Beautiful day.
Dogs got some exercise too.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7367583

52 sounds like heaven from here!!
violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7367719

I have a question which probably seems dumb.
How do you experienced seeders sow minute seed without losing them?I have a few things to start that have extremely tiny seeds and not very many of them so I want to make everyone count!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7367742

Morning everyone!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7367770

Pray and plant!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #7367926

And don't try to cover, just let them do their thing.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7367990

Use a fine mist spray to water them softly so they don't get pushed away into holes and buried deep.
Hi everyone. Just checking in and off to go put laundry in and rest some. Got a headache going this morning. Heard from Mechelle and her son seem a bit better but still don't know what happened to him but think it could possibly be heart related so please keep up the prayers, he is not out of danger yet and still in the hospital.
Congratulations Hunny- hope the next 20 will go by just as fast. Bless you.
Seasonal stress seems to be lurking so everyone just take deep breaths and hang in there, it will all come out in the wash.
Back later.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7368083

Mekos, get feeling better, we have gardens to grow and I may need your
help. Hope your headache gets better.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7368116

I'm here now Robin had to get off and go to town just got back a few minutes ago. Stopped at a friend's to visit and showed my snowmen to her and darn if she didn't insist on buying all 10 of them and I forgot to take pictures of the darlings drat. But she did say it didn't matter if the doily she request I make that still likes the last 2 rows being done is smaller than hers which it sure looks like it's going to be just as long as it's the same pattern. Whew, I was having visions of having to make another one using bigger thread.
Beautiful day here warm at around 60.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #7368318

Temp is beautiful here too but yard is like a bog...Everything is wet and its so humid... I want to get outside and play...Have to wear knee boots if I do... Just went and bought groceries... Guess I'll get in there and make up some goodies...heres a recipe im going to make

Sausage and Cheese Crescent Squares

it calls for one pound of sausage and I always use 2--it is a big hit with my kids

INGREDIENTS
2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations™ refrigerated flaky dough sheet
1 lb spicy or mild bulk pork sausage
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll 1 can of dough into 2 long rectangles.
Place in ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish; press over bottom and 1/2 inch up sides to form crust.
If using dough sheets: Unroll 1 can of dough. Place in ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish;
press over bottom and 1/2 inch up sides to form crust.
3. In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently,
until no longer pink. Remove sausage from skillet; discard drippings.
To same skillet, add cream cheese. Cook over low heat until melted.
Add cooked sausage; stir to coat. Spoon evenly over crust in baking dish.
Sprinkle with cheese.
4. If using crescent rolls: Unroll second can of dough on work surface. Press to form 13x9-inch rectangle;
firmly press perforations to seal. Carefully place over cheese. If using dough sheets:
Unroll second can of dough on work surface. Press to form 13x9-inch rectangle. Carefully place over cheese.
5. Bake 21 to 26 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Cut into small squares.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 26 to 31 minutes or until golden brown.

They posted this over on the mid south forum .. some good recipes here if you have a few minutes to look ... my Dad makes this as a desert and uses pie fillings instead of sausage..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1057750/

Sounds good..Talk to you all later...

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #7368330

That looks so good Honey!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #7368380

Sounds great Hunney. When I'm feeling better, I think I'll try it.
Just wante to tell you guys what just happened to me. A big Fed X truck pulled in my yard, Knowing I didn't order anything that would take that kind of shipping service, it was a mystery. My DH went to see and he came in with boxes from his waist to his head in size, stacked. I opened to see more seeds than I have ever seen at one time in my life. OH MY GOSH, lunch bags full of seeds! Arejay, these are for you and Cajun. I'll go through tomorrow when I get rid of this headache and seperate the vegies from the flower and ship out to you. Got the newbies stocked for a while. I'm still in shock.Little buddies let Arejay know if you could use any of these and send the envie to her and I'm sure she will fill your stockins well. LOTS of zinnias, marigolds and hollyhocks especially with lots more too but LOTS of those. WOW!
Thank you Trina, you are an Angel to help so much. Thank you. OH MY GOSH!!!!!! I'm over whelmed now. My box to you was no where near this. !!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #7368828

Awwww that Trina, she's just so darn sweet!!! Look at all the smiles she is gonna put on peoples faces... I remember how excited I was when I got my newbie seeds package...Thanks Trina your the best Girl... Mekos wish I could help you sort thru all those goodies... sounds like fun...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7368859

Oh Trina and Jan and all of you actually you are all just so generous. Did you take a picture Jan?THat was nice for you to say too Honey, I actually remember when I got my newbie package too, I was so excited. THat was a long way back now. I still get just as excited though every time a package comes in for the newbies and I get a surprise package every now and again!!
Thank You again Jan and Trina!! New Bees send your envies...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #7368905

I am so proud of you Trinia, Now mekos does not have to worry so much for Canjun getting seeds for her town.
It is wonderful.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #7369031

yeah arejay... I know you have a hard job, and Im so thankful you give your time to do this for others, but I know when the mail truck arrives there has to be some excitement with each delivery...lol and going thru all those seeds... haha I'd be having a ball...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7369057

Has anyone heard from Mr. Tubby and found out how he is doing?
I haven't seen anything for a while and was just wondering.
RRM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #7369075

OK this has already got the vegie seeds taken out and this is the box going to arejay. It's actually two boxes put together to make one big one. If that gives you an idea of how big this box is.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #7369083

This is a gallon size freezer bag I had started for CajuninKy and these finished filling it for her.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7369092

This is just another view of Arejay's box. I kept the live flowers and bulbs and just a handful of seeds. The majority are all going to help others. I potted up the plants and put them in my greenhouse and the bulbs are going in my friendship garden. Trina, I just want to thank you again for all the seeds you have shared with us so others would have beautiful gardens and others would be able to eat. You are so sweet and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. God bless you and your family. If I can ever help you please let me know.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #7369198

What a wonderful delivery of Life.
Think of all the little lives in those boxes
and bags...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7369225

Literally millions! And think of the lives they will touch- millions ,cost for this love-priceless!!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7369234

LOL Mekos bet you are feeling the Ella does when she gets all those seeds in to play with for a bit.
Trina got the seeds you sent me today. I'm giving all but 3 little packets to my sister for the lady she's trying to help with seeds.
Finally got one fancy doily ready to wash and starch. The starching part is the one I hate most on this one it's ruffly. And have to make one more baby bassinet cause another sister came today and wanted one with blue trim for her new grandbaby for the baby's parents. Oh and you all will have to wait on seeing other snowmen with different colored hats and scarves cause I showed them today to a friend who just couldn't let me leave with them so she bought every one of them before I thought to take a picture. I wasn't expecting her to go nuts over them LOL.

Mechelle glad to hear your son is doing better hope they figure out what's going on soon and let him come home for Christmas.

enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 15, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #7369246

Well, hello everybody - I think I have been lost. I was keeping up with the Goth garden group and lost them but I was lost anyway - Sorry RRM killed the pitcher :( didn't even take me long.

So, am I where I should be? Arejay, I got my newbie seed, thank you very much! I will be sharing some and planting some...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #7369265

How did you kill it, girl? I got to get one for Trinia , I'll send you one in the Spring. Get everything you need before I send it. Collect that dog gone rainwater so you will have it. Have you been doing o.k.?? Missed hearing from you. Glad you finally caught up with us.
Yes, this is one of the places you should be. Don't feel bad I've had plants to die too, it's just a nature thing. You got to keep killing, I guess til you make them LIVE. You can do it...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #7369285

Maybe it just went dormant. Might not be dead after all, just leave it in the pot and wait till spring to see what happens.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 15, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #7369321

I really don't know how I killed it! I got the stuff and the rainwater and I smiled at it every morning and it died. Let's skip the CP for now - I best stick to the basics - like digging; I am good at that.
Been doing good - seriously, I have been lost. I don't know how I did it but I couldn't find anybody; guess I have lost my mind finally - Mekos, I really, really need you living closer. You could babysit :) - you wonderful lover of babies. I like the ones you can send home!!
Hope you guys are all doing well. RRM, Mekos and Seray are you all here?

Anyone new I haven't met? If so, hello! I am a little crazy; just ignore the really wierd parts - it will be okay. I was perfectly normal a few months ago - I will probably be better when it gets warm and green outside!

Glad to be back all - I have missed everyone! Been cold, cold here (except yesterday, it was beautiful) so I sit on my butt and think about what I can plant where. I get really confused and may not get anything planted anywhere cause I don't quite know where to start.
Now I want a veggie garden too - can anyone say OCD? lol

Think I should post this pick on garden design? I could sure use some help!

Thumbnail by enidcandles

enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 15, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7369327

Ummm, does it get all brown and funky looking when it is dormant? I will leave it - the ones Seray sent that I thought were dead are doing great! There is hope for me afterall.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7369428

Yep, dormant means looking dead but roots are still alive. It just might put out again. Seray is great at designing gardens girl. Does the sun come into the front of your house or back or sides or how? I love the cute creetsters by the way in your yard.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #7369444

See, I told you. Yeah, they get brown looking. Don' give up on them.
I like your house, it just needs lanscaping. If you go to Garden design , you wil see a big red mule in a yellow hat. That is us too.
Remember, the Goth, ungoth and Friendship gardens. Go there too. We will help you. The wholes gang flops back and forth to
see what is going on. Spring is just around the corner, there is hope for you girl, don't give up or go too crazy. { Like your house
Especially that Big-eyed frog. I love frogs.
R RM

This message was edited Dec 14, 2009 9:27 PM
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 15, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #7369893

Yippee - the pitchers may not be dead - shoo... I feel lots better.

Thanks for the compliments on the house. The siding is cheap and horrible but replacing that has to wait. We just did the roof - one thing at a time you know. I love frogs too RRM - I usually have them stuck everywhere - I put most up for the winter. That big guy is just too dang heavy to move much. I did move him closer to the bird bath and facing the house the other day.

I will post on the other thread maybe tomorrow. I have not forgotten Charley! How could you ever forget such a cool mule?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7369909

I'm thinking of doing a game before christmas with a greenhouse with soil and seeds to grow some sarracenia minor plants for a bog or goth garden. Thinking about a scavage hunt any one interested? Second place will be green tacca seeds. I never did one of these games before so it's new to me and Seray will have to post rules of the game but if anyone is interested please post here or on the other thread we all gossip on so we can see who is interested in playing. This is better than a snow ball fight. If anyone has any ideas for a game , I'm interested also. So let me know and sound off.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 15, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #7369957

Oh, Mekos, not much is better than a good snowball fight! Especially if you are winning. lol Of course, I like to throw stuff so...

A game huh? I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! If it involves making teenie, tiny stubborn seeds sprout, I am out. That's why I did't get in on the bat plant seeds - mine would never come up! I am not real brave yet so will stick to common, easy to grow stuff for now. I am going to try some winter sowing though. Been saving my milk jugs - got potting soil and seed - now a pretty day would be helpful!

I will play along if you don't make me grow anything and show everybody.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #7369971

I tell you what, if you win, I'll let you pick what you want to grow instead of the pitcher plants and green tacca bat flower seeds. How is that?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #7370327

Come on Enid, let's give it a try. I don't have any
confidence in me getting it, but I don't want to be a party pooper.
I just don't know, getting too old to play games. But I am in, if you all
will have me...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 15, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #7370811

Oh, what the heck - I will play along, don't want RRM to have to play alone. Mekos, what are we going to do with you? You have something going on all the time. Auctions, games, trades...you are one busy gal.

So, when you set the rules, let me know what they are, you rememeber I don't do well with rules though. Kinda like laws, I only break the ones I don't like. LOL.

My newest "thing"; I want sedums and lots of them. Now, where to get them? I don't think I should run around town and steal them out of people's flower beds but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!! There are a couple different ones at my sisters that I will dig up later so at least that is a start.

Does anyone know anything about pregnant plants - the succulent that has babies on its leaves? My mom has a couple of those, I was wondering if they could go outside?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7370821

Til it freezes, then kiss them babies "goodbye" Or bring them in. Wait til it warms up, mabe we can send you some.
Will that work. They are pretty tough.
Good, glad you joined me.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7370827

Count me in, too. Can't have you girls plating all by yourselves - lol...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7370829

Yeah!!! Glad for the company. ☺
seray53

December 15, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7370840

Morning everyone! I lost ya for a little while. Glad to see you back Candles! We missed ya. Did you find the Goth thread link?

Way up the thread Violap asked about planting small seed. There's a device we use to get every last seed. Called a Pro Seeder. Tedious but used in GH's everywhere that aren't mechanized. Makes a wonderful stocking stuffer. Here's a link: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/379/165

Check in later. Have a great day!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #7371197

I don't even know where to start!! I only left for a minute...6:15 pm on yesterday and there is so much going on I don't know where to start...
Endi!! I am so glad to see you back!! If you get lost again just send a dmail to me I might get us both lost for a bit but I will get us there... And that completely blank pallet you have to begin your masterpiece on wow think of the plants everyone she has so much free space...some of us would sell our first born for that empty space...( Just Kidding Jo I wouldn't sell you...Not for anything...Just wanted to make my point.
Now Jan I can even pretend to keep up with you or Seray all I have to do is blink and poof someting is brewing..
Honey you have now officially published my secret...It is way more fun to have this job than it is work to do it...
So what are we hunting for now that the non-seed planters have bitten into the poisen cookie of starting from seed...forever to be "If at first you don't succeed try try again". "I thank my Dad for that" and you all will be able to thank Jan for it now that she has caught you and convinced you that seed starting is a wonderful and painful thing. As is life.
Seray I almost left you out that is an amazing little tools you clever lady...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7371367

OK keeping up with participants here, so far the contestants are:
(If I miss anyone please let me know.)

RRM
Enidcandles
Loca
Arejay
Trina
Hunnybunch
F4F

Seray and I will be posting and watching and laughing so have fun.
Seray will also get a kit to grow the hooded pitcher plants for doing all the hard work and first place will get one and second place will get green Tacca seeds-(green bat flower)
And if enough join in we may add a 3rd place winner.
Sure to be a lots of FUN.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 5:13 PM
seray53

December 15, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7371627

Hi Guys

Mekos told you we're planning a scavenger hunt for Friday and Saturday. Everyone is welcome. She's offering great prizes!

We'll be starting from The Garden Talk forum and will post the link here and in Charley's Goth thread to direct you to the starting gate on Friday. We think it'll be fun!!! You'll have lots of time to work it out so put your kids and company to bed and join in late. We'll have a trial run so you can learn the basics if you've never been on a scavenger hunt. We will help you if you get lost. Then you'll be off and running.

It will be great for Newbies because it will introduce you to areas you've never been before and get you familiar with forums, threads, and posts. Mekos is bartender and will be providing mojitos and sammiches as we go through.

Friday noon is the cut off date to sign up. Have to get the lime order in. LOL
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 15, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7371640

Mojitos - yippee!! I certainly need the trial run - I can't even always find the power button to the computer!

Sounds like lots of fun! Can't wait til friday!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7371696

I'll drink to that. We'll be here to help IF you need it during the trial run but after that you are on your own.
seray53

December 15, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #7371835

After that you will have to buy your way out of the maze with a pack of seeds to the Newbies! LOL
seray53

December 15, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7371839

Now what was I supposed to do Mekos? LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #7371879

Good idea to keep up with what is on our(my) want list to tempt with seeds.LOL (Got cha Seray.)Hehehahahe
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #7372018

Add my name to the list to please... I always want to play...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #7372057

Now if your name is NOT on the list and you want to play, please let us know so you can be added.
seray53

December 15, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7372228

I'm working on our site. Ignore or enjoy. I want to see if this pic will post. lol

And that was supposed to be unrestricted. Sorry

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by seray53

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #7372258

Dog gone ,it won't blow up either.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #7372290

Who is this Seray?
seray53

December 15, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7372310

I was looking for free stock pictures to use for our adventure. I didn't have any pics of girls or mules. LOL So I was trying free stock places. I'll try again

Thumbnail by seray53

seray53

December 15, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7372312

How about that one. Titled Charley's girls explore.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #7372342

Sounds and looks GOOD to me. Go for it.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #7372358

Love the footprints seray!
seray53

December 16, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #7372369

I'm working on it. LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #7372455

Hey you guys, look what my DH bought me last week. It's a Christmas Rose- Poinsettia
Not a great picture but plant is pretty. The spots on the leaf is the glitter on it.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #7372464

Those are beautiful. You will have trees out of them.
They grow good in the summer time. You will love them.
seray53

December 16, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7372654

Those are pretty Mekos! Was it your Birthday?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009

Post #7372701

No I use to grow them but gave away the last I had to my preacher's mother a few years ago and just never got another one. I had the regular poinsettia (red) until back in the summer when we got a bad wind storm and it broke my last one all to pieces and the rest died so when these were at the store and we went he got it for me. The only one they had with the curly leaves. This one is called the Christmas rose because it's leaves curl around instead of going out flat and pointed. You can't tell much in the picture but it is.
seray53

December 16, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7372732

I thought the leaves were different. It's nice and he's a sweetie for getting it for you!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #7372765

Yep, He is pretty good to me. Would give me the world if he could. I couldn't ask for a better husband than he is. He gets awards for perfect attendance from work and comes straight home afterwards and very considerate of me and my feelings and doesn't drink anything stronger than tea. We get along great. Since my health isn't great, he helps me around the house and anything else I need help with outside. I have NO complaints. He even loves plants as much as I do. You should see him when the mail comes with a package and he gets so excited, open it , lets see what it is! I think he is more excited than me.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #7373062

So glad you got a good hubby mekos!

Your plant is beautiful! Red does not photograph well. Can't remember exactly why - lol - but I read that in the photo forum or somewhere...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #7373112

Yes, and they put glitter on the petals and the light reflects off them like it's ugly. But I like it.
And thank you by the way.
seray53

December 16, 2009
7:10 AM

Post #7373331

Here's the link to the Scavenger Hunt practice session. Have fun!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1063255/
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7373701

MORNING ALL !!! How is everyone? I haven't been on for a couple days so had some catching up to do.
Beautiful pointsettia mekos. I got one this year. It has varigated petals on it. I had never saw one like this b4. I usually don't get them cause the die on me and I feel I wasted the money but this one is small and was very inexpensive ,so I felt if it died on me I wasn't losing much.
I went over to the thread for the trial scavenger hunt and I knew what the answer to that one was with out even going to the forum to look it up. I love orchids and and know what they are and where they grow and how they grow so it was easy to answer but I have never tried growing them until this year and I have 2 now.
Everyone have a great day!
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

December 16, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #7373811

hi all
found you took me awhile, been a little busy, well i am not sure if i told you all before i lost you, my son has no brain damage, but tomorrow is having his bypass surgery, well gotta get ready for the hospital. have fun on your scavenger hunt i got totally losts lol must be a blond thing.
too much on my mind, well if i am not back before everyone have a wonderful Christmas
blondie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #7373833

Well, I didn't know the answer. I know I will "Bomb out" on this one. May have to sit back and let you all do it.
I am terrible at games.
The Sun is shinning, seray. So far, No RAIN. Here I was wanting rain, now I'm drowning in it☺
But we sure was dry for awhile, so I'm really not complaining (too much) ☺
I have a Vanilla bean orchid and 2 others I got at Lowes. Went to Ingles and got some plants they had marked down to
99cents. Desert Rose Kalanchoe, very pretty, Got a dish garden with small palm, ivy and another Kalanchoe.
Poor Blondie, our Prayers are with you. Take care of yourself .

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009 9:38 AM
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7373841

Goodmorning..I went over to the scavenger hunt too.. looked simple enough after Mekos did it lol...Hope you all have a great day...Ughhh have to get the floors swept and mopped, the vacuuming done... I dread it... Id rather be out raking pine straw...talk to you later
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7373853

I hear ya RRM my brain is feeble when it comes to thinking in riddles..

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7373872

WE can do what we can and Cheer everyone else on, can't we ? Honeybunch.
Brain just isn't that quick on things. I went up to Community and I still didn't see any orchids.
All I could think of was Tropicals. Went to home page and looked. Felt very "DUHH"
What fun!!!!!But I'm going to be here to see how everyone else is doing. You know, they need our
output and cheering section.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7373927

lol Cheerleaders...
seray53

December 16, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7374063

LOL Morning Ladies I see you've been scavenging for orchids. Don't you love test runs. That way you don't have to do so much work. Have you ever been on the Orchid forum? Great pictures and they have wonderful tips on growing them. That forum link is here. Be not afraid check it out! :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/orchids/all/

enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 16, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7374138

Umm, Seray, you know I ain't real bright - I don't know if I can do the hunt or not. It might be too much like a test for me. I will try though - I just don't know that I know enough to get through it - if there weren't answers, I would have never gotten the first question! I will try - I don't want to be a party pooper - maybe mojitos will make the brain kick in!
You guys have a great day - supposed to be nice here - tons to do!!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7374190

Im scared to look in the orchid forum, I need no further addictions!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7374203

You are right, it is a DAngerous place to
travel, but AAAAWWWW!!!! the tropical Beauty of it.
seray53

December 16, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #7374220

LOL Well we have something to talk about while we wait for spring. Maybe I should put a gold bar in each of these forums. Then we could all go to Miami and enjoy the sand huh!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #7374231

That sounds Great. Had to figure out the bar
. boy, is my mind spinning or what?? I haven't
had any thing but a Diet Grn. Tea.
seray53

December 16, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7374385

Did I tell you we have a plan B? LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7374498

What is plan B. I just got back from a walk in the woods/ You all got to come down and see it.
I didn't realize I had such a treasure in the backyard/ It is beautiful. got pictures too.
seray53

December 16, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7374790

Show us some pictures RRM. Give our brains some rest!!!! LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #7374928

This will calm you down, This is my hidden
Stream, I didn't realize I had such a treasure.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7374935

OH WOW!!!!! That is pretty.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #7374939

This is tree roots with the moss on it. It was so pretty,
bet I stood there five minutes just looking at it.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #7374950

See why I want to go for walks now??
It is just beautiful.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #7375000

Very beautiful RRM! I live in the city and sooooooooo miss walks in the woods in the crisp fall air!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #7375012

Come on down, loca, I'll let you keep the rocks you find that you like. You will love the little stream,
it really isn't big, at all. You can listen to the longears braying aNd begging for feed.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #7375014

And I can feed 'ol Charlie cookies all day! Be right there...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7375019

Yes, you can and he would love it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #7375049

Charleen those are just beautiful. I love the walks in the woods but DH working second shift now and don't go in alone. We got a stream and swamp area down in there and ducks raises their babies back there and deer and all kinds of skreetsters out there, like cyotees and rabbits and possums and you name it and I bet I could find it kind of place. When we get snow and ice, the water is just amazing. I love it.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #7375055

OK - after I stop in Georgia I'll stop at your place Jan and we'll go walking. I'll protect you from all those scary skreetsters - lol...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7375067

Mekos, it would be beautiful to get a picture of the stream and the snow. When it snows here I will try to get a pic for you all.
I did find a tick crawling. Have to use a spray in summer. Loca, you can go from one state right into the other. What fun to visit all our friends.
seray53

December 16, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7375112

Love your stream RRM. So crisp and quiet looking. I bet you'll have spring flowers. Blood root and bluebells. The moss is great. Some of it might find it's way to top your bog garden this spring. Do your dogs go there without you?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7375122

OK Loca, come on over and when we get back, we'll have a Mojito and turkey sammich. YE_HA!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7375136

Let me show you this one.
All it needs is a elf house and village.
I love this one.

seray53

December 16, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #7375160

He could fish right in the hole at the base of the tree RRM. :) Nice
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #7375189

It kinda looks like snow down there, you wouldn't be holding out on me would you?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7375240

No, dear. That is foam on the water. The sun was shinning
bright and it was a beautifl day. You should have been with me, we would have
had a wonderful walk.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7375265

One of these days I am gonna surprise you. And we'll go walking.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #7375277

Great. I would love it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #7375294

I'll wait for snow, so we can make that sexy snowman.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #7376410

Good Morning everyone!

being that it's close to the Holidays, it's been a rather busy place here in my house.. family coming and going, decorations to be dragged out, put up and re put up (kitties just loooove to remove ornaments) and with a few writing projects underway... oh yeah, and still a full time job to go to everyday, I've barely had time to breathe!

Holidays are a special time yet oh so stressful. I've never been the type to stress over how much I am buying, nor have i become victim of the 'if I don't spend a lot, they will think I don't love them' syndrome. But with the sheer number of things happening this time of year, it puts a strain on every household, no matter who you are. So i wanted to pop in and leave a small note to every one here.

First, I want to wish each and everyone of you a happy and joyous holiday season. regardless of our political, religious or social views, we are all children of a mighty awesome higher power. Each of us should take this time to sit back, take a breath and just revel in the love and light that the holidays were truly meant to embrace, be thankful for what we have in our lives.

You all have meant so much to me over the last year, and I want you all to know how truly, truly grateful I am for having met and gotten to know you. You are a special, albeit, crazy bunch of people... just my kinda peeps, but a loving, caring bunch.

Everytime I walk thru my yard, I am reminded of each of you... whether it be the purple shamrock that Arejay sent , the Shooting star that Seray sent... the multiple dark petunia from Mekos, the sunflowers from Al, or the Calla's and canna's from Mindy, or any of the other beautiful treasures that graced my doorstep over the last year, you are never far from my thoughts.

My DG garden holds pieces of each of you, because i now all of those flowers were sent with open hearts. I have only to look out my window to know i am loved and thought of.

I hope you all know how loved and thought of each of you are. i may not be here on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean I don't think about you, hope you are all ok, and wish you all the best, sincerely from my heart soooo...

Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, Blessed Solstice, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Kwanzaa !

Love You All To Pieces!

Cue (Kelly)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7376538

Good to hear from you Cue! Your garden must be a true treasure. Have a great Holiday and New Year!

Al
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7376863

Oh Cue that was really nice. Thanks. Just glad that you pop in so we know that your still with us. Everyone have a wonderous Christmas and New year.
This is for all of the bestests friends a girl could have!

RRM those stream pics are beautiful. I love walking in the woods in the winter and seeing a lot of things you normally wouldn't see with all the trees and undergrowth in the summer.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7377000

Right back at ya cue! We love you too!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #7377237

Merry Christmas Cue. I love you and wish you all the best with everything you do. Have a wonderful winter even if you don't get snow.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7377387

I always wondered what a "sexy" snowman would look like. Most of them I've seen are pretty cold.

During my college years, our frat house sculpted a beautiful mermaid out of a huge block of ice. She was gorgeous, but all the guys I knew said that she was really frigid. Oh well...

Al

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #7377474

HI Everyone Cue love you whether you are around all the time or not just miss getting to bug you but I'll survive.
Al you are something else LOL I've heard some women find cold men appealing never could figure out why though. And some men consider frigid women a challenge to warm up.
Mekos you have a package headed your way finally. Forgive me for being so slow sending it. If I look really really cute will that help?
Well off to get the next batch of gifts ready to head out then work on santa. At this rate he's not going to get done until Christmas Eve.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7377548

Oh Mindy, that is sweet of you. Thanks, mine is slow this year too and you are beautiful ALL the time. Bless you for all you do.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #7377843

mekos - I sent you a snowman... Not sure how sexy he is. You be the judge when you get him and you let me know!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #7377850

I just got him, Loca. LOL sexy, man! I think I sent you by e-mail earlier too. He looked a little blu (if ya know what I mean)! LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #7377856

lol - glad you like him!!

I'll check my e-mail when I get home from work. Can't check it on this computer...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7377885

Thank you little friend, I also got one from Flower, RRM and my mail carrier. I got cards for all you guys as well, and Blondie and I are trying to do a surprise for everyone but when her son got rushed to the hospital I delayed shipping my part to her so she wouldn't feel pressured to worry about this end of it and was late getting the box to her after we knew he was ok and I'm not sure she can get her part done on time to get it mailed out to everyone before Christmas so some might come after Christmas. Don't know yet but they will get there sooner or later. So everybody, You got a card from me and Blondie coming soon. +

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7377900

blondie's boy comes first, so don't you all worry about all of us!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #7377902

That's right. Kids rule!!! or they want to..Poor innocent things☺
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7377941

Poor Blondie, she is burried under all that work.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7378449

Oh mekos - thanks sooooooooo much for the snow fairy - ROTFLOL!!! Almost lost my dinner laughing so hard!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7378583

Glad you liked it.BIG GRIN! YE-HA
Blondie's son is having surgery in the morning so please keep him in your prayers and thoughts. It is heart surgery.
Hey did I tell you guys we're getting a winter storm again tonight/early tomorrow? I'm suppose to get up to 2 inches of snow here.?!? YE-HA again! Western N.C. is expecting 5-10 inches and upper S.C. 3-6 along the border of N.C. and S.C. Below mw is just suppose to get LOTS of rain. This is suppose to be a heavy wet snow. OOooowwwww the 'S' word, gives me chilly bumps.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7378602

Prayers for your son and a successful surgery blondie!!

mekos - better stay warm. No making sexy snowmen without us - lol...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #7378614

YE-HA!!!!!!
seray53

December 18, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #7378627

Hi Guys!

Is it Friday yet? I'm off anyway. Yeah!

Hugs to you Cue!

Hugs to the rest of you as well. I hope it snows for ya Mekos!

Plan B for the treasure hunt is almost DONE! you will like it. It's much prettier. I'll post the thread when I'm finished. We'll start Friday at 6pm. Sounds like a plan B huh? LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #7378631

6 pm your time?
seray53

December 18, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7378637

Oh Gosh. It's that time thing again. Let's all move to St. John's and we won't have to do this. LOL How about 6pm ET. That would be my time. Will it work for you LOCA. How about 9pm ET. Give you time to get home?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #7378657

Arejay said she couldn't do it, something came up and she will be tied up this weekend so we'll do something again after Christmas but now exactly WHO is going to be in on it? RRM is probably in bed and Blondie will be at the hospital till the surgery is over and don't know about her. But Plan B is more fun and everyone will want to be in on it so check in if you are in.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #7378662

Gotta know what plan B is first LOL. I know I can't do plan A don't understand it. LOL I am just a dummy anyways.
seray53

December 18, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7378670

No you're not! You can do plan B. We'll let you know what it is and where it is Friday. LOL You already do it all the time so it should be easy. Except for my rhymes and riddles. :)
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #7378681

Yeah those rhymes and riddles is what throws me most of the time. My conception of things just don't work like it use too LOL.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7378682

Hi Everyone,
So sorry I have to back out of the hunt,,,Good Luck everyone I will check in.
Cue,
Thank You for the wonderful writing if I could have put the words you wrote together I would have said the same thing to each and every single one of you. You are the best bunch of people I know. I love every single thing you have sent me and will forever. Each word you write each hurdle you over come each tear you shed and laugh you share you touch my life and so many others every single day. I hope you know how special you each are.
Qouted from KT1,Cue our Goth Queen, Kelly
Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, Blessed Solstice, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Kwanzaa
Love to you all
Robin
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7378687

You can do it Flower!! Give it your best shot you might just be surprised.
Hugs to you girl
seray53

December 18, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7378726

We'll miss you Arejay. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7378736

I may give it a shot if it isn;t to confusing to me.
seray53

December 18, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #7378790

You can ask and we can explain? We'd miss you if you weren't there. How's your pitcher plants doing?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #7378839

Whatever time you all decide just let me know... I don't get home until about 4:30 MST which is 6:30 EST. If it's something that we all can work at our own pace then start whenever and I can catch up - lol...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7378844

THIS IS FUN I SAID! Have FUN! SMILE! You are gonna have fun or else!
seray53

December 18, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7378846

Then we'll start at 8:00 ET Loca. Grab a pizza and join the fun. Sound OK to you Mekos? You are serving sammiches mojitos and piggies right?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7378849

Yup - it's always fun with us - lol.

Well I have a busy day at work tomorrow so gonna hit the sack early tonight... See you all tomorrow!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #7378850

That will work - see ya all then...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7378876

FUN!
Mojitos and piggies in a blanket , turkey sammiches and apples for fuzzy long ears. Charlie gets mojitos and sammiches like we do.
See ya tomorrow. Don't be late.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
4:22 AM

Post #7378928

so far so good with the PPs. The one outside I won't know until spring LOL I hope it makes it thru the winter and then I won't be so afraid of them. LOL

Beddy bye time . Nite all
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2009

Post #7378948

Good night flower. Sweet dreams.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 18, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #7378977

Hate to sound like an idiot again, but I am confused now about what time to start tomorrow. I don't want to miss anything!
seray53

December 18, 2009
7:07 AM

Post #7379203

Hi Candles

We will post the link to the Treasure hunt thread tomorrow a little before 8pm ET. We will start the race at 8pm ET. Give everyone time to check in and get counted. At that time I will post the first clue. Just check back here or the Goth thread or the Charley's girls explore... thread. I'll post everywhere. If you can't find us or get lost just dmail me. The thread is under construction right now so you won't see it yet. If we don't see ya Mekos or I will dmail you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #7379529

Enid, You will be o.k. I have already bumbled into it and it looks beautiful, so far.
We are going to love it. Now we just wait til tonight...YEEHAWWW!!!
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7379534

Morning All. Well I guess I'll give this a shot seray. I will probably get lost and never find my way back so if I don't see you all in about a year come find me LOL.
seray53

December 18, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7379719

You can't get lost Flower. We'll find ya!

Morning everyone. The GA girls have rain today! Turning cold soon. The last weekend before Christmas and I hope you have safe shopping. Remember what Tubby told us about safety in the parking lots. Hugs

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7379785

Anyone heard from Tubby or Shirley?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7379800

♪ ♫ ♪ Happy Birthday mekos!!! ♪ ♫ ♪

May your day be filled with fun and blessings!!
seray53

December 18, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7379806

That's right! It's our Mekos' Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful Day! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7379891

Happy Birthday Mekos!!!!!...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 18, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #7379903

Happy Birthday Mekos!! Hope your day is filled with blessings. I don't know what the weather is doing where you are but God has blessed us with another beautiful day here! I am heading outside pretty soon to continue my war on the henbid in my lawn. Have about given up on the crab grass - I wonder if I can spray it with Roundup since the bermuda is dormant? May try it and see - I am pretty sure I can't kill ALL the bermuda that way. Digging the crabgrass is a big pain and the crap just doesn't seem to want to die!

Funny, I can kill everything else with no problems at all - but the crabgrass just hangs right in there.
Oh well, see you guys tonight - have to figure out what time 8pm ET is here in good ole OK.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #7380011

Good morning everyone. Sleeting here supposed to start snowing this afternoon around 4 pm and accumlate about 2 inches tonight and possible 3 more inches tomorrow.
Almost done with santa's beard then comes the aggraving part putting all those pieces together and on the background piece.
Haven't heard from Tubby but seems like he did mention they would lose internet when he had the stem cell transplant so I'm keeping faith he's doing OK.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7380146

Oh, Good. Thank you, Mindy I was hoping to hear he was doing better.
We will just keep Praying for thebest.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

December 18, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7380942

hey there,
surgery went great, no bypass, just reconstructing, was in surgery 1 1/2 hours, did real good now the road to recovery and healing, will be up there tomorrow most of the dayand sunday he should get out of intensive care. almost there thank god and all the prayers.
love ya
debi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEKOS
seray53

December 18, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7380992

So Glad to hear it Blondie! Now you can take a deep breath. Hopefully he'll be out of there soon. Youth has amazing regenerative powers.

Big HUGs

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #7381022

I'm so glad it went well blondie! Prayer is a very powerful thing!
seray53

December 19, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7381092

Searching for all adventurous spirits and Treasure hunters. The Charley's girls explore... Treasure Hunt (Plan B) is here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1063601/

Check it out, say hi and I'll post the first clue at 8pm. You can sign up anytime. No cut off time to play. Cut off time to finish is 6pm ET tomorrow. Read carefully LOL

Good LUCK!
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7381962

That is so great blonde. Hope he gets home for Christmas and then you will have the greatest reason to celebrate the Lords Birth .
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 20, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #7384017

Wonderful news, blonde. We will keep praying for all of you, and hope and pray that he will be out and home for Christmas!
Happy Birthday Mekos!
Kelly, Mom headed out to your part of the world this morning, going to be in Scottsdale for Christmas this year, with the family there. She took her swimming suit! LOL And we have and inch or 2 of snow here!
seray53

December 20, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #7384943

Good Morning everyone!

Hope this Sunday finds you finished with your Christmas shopping and enjoying your day. Hugs and blessings to you all.

Miss you Skellogg. Hope your business is growing and doing well.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #7385039

Good morning. almost evening, it is a beautiful day, just so cold
, by my standards 37 with breezes. Feels cold anyhow.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 20, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #7385061

Mornin all! 41 here and on the rise! I may actually get something done today!
Trina if you check in here, I sent you a dmail.
I suck girls but I declined the bat seeds - I don't want to murder them. You know me, easy is good!!
Y'all have a great day - I am off to finish up some candles and a bowling ball gazing ball.
Lori
seray53

December 20, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7385136

Show us some pics Candles! We have lots of easy seeds. Let us know what you want.

These sunflowers were at the grocery and were pretty cool. The pic shows orange but they are very red with purple 'collar' and dark center. Anyone know the name?

Thumbnail by seray53

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7385176

Hi all,
How is everyone doing? Cold and blustery here . Don't know the temp LOL Really don't want to either. Just know it is too cold for me !

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #7385273

Making Snowman earrings for Cousin's G'kids.
Had to make Small ones for tiny ears. Got one more pair to make.Tomarrow first day of winter.
Then it will be SPRING> Yeah!!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7385370

Your sunflowers are beautiful Seray! There are several hybrid crosses and select O/P sunflowers for a huge selection of colors. Moulin Rouge is deep reddish maroon, along with Ring of Fire and Magic mixed colors. Sometimes a skilled florist can pick and choose from their own selections. It's just too hard to tell.

I have a huge amount of more or less generics available now, but I'm going to try some new and different ones in the Spring. Everybody seems to love sunflowers and they're so easy to grow for most. When I get large packets of the special ones, I'll split them up and share with those that are interested.

Al
seray53

December 20, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7385463

Thanks for the info Al. I haven't seen any this dramatic before and I was just curious. Look good in my Goth garden if I can find it. :)

I'll have to search it out. If I can find it I'll send you some seeds to try with the rest of yours. Didn't think to ask the florist there at the grocery. I'll go back. :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #7385480

Hubby gre a few, It was dry last summer but a Brown one managed to make it and bloom, but before I got to get a pic. One of them dog-gone Donkeys or the mule ate it. Believe me Hubby was not a happy camper. They had to reach thru the Fence, so may have been our Darlin' Charley. uh-oh...run Charley Run!...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #7385504

Good afternoon peeps! Trying to finish up last minute Christmas stuff - lol.

sk - your Mom will have a blast. We're forecast to be close to 70° all week long! Sure beats snow!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #7385722

Hey - The big storm missed us! It blew right straight south of here. Everybody south and east of us along the coast got hammered. We usually get it east from Lake Erie and Buffalo but not this time. Not even a trace of white stuff.

Al
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #7386233

HI Everyone been a gloomy snowy rainy day here. Working on the next to last gift almost finished so last one can be started tonight I think.
Here's some pictures for you to peek at

Thumbnail by Mindy03

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7386236

Two

Thumbnail by Mindy03

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7386240

And three

Thumbnail by Mindy03

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7386265

OH Mindy, those are just beautiful! ^You are so talented. I so envy you since I haven't been able to do this for a couple years now. My mom does the kind with the tiny thread like No.3 but I never could do those. I like to use the knitting thread when I could. Fingers don't cooperate any more. Thank you so much for my DIL's baby blanket. She loved it and is going to bring the baby home from the hospital with it. You are so sweet to put so much time and love into making these. I know how much work it is and how time consumeing it is. Thank you so much and the snowman was so pretty as well. It is hanging on my tree. Thank you so much.
seray53

December 21, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #7386505

Love those Mindy!!! So pretty. Thanks for showing us the pics.

Glad you got a reprieve Al. Hope it holds for a little while longer.

Hugs to the rest of you. Hope you had a great day!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7386531

Hi Seray, hope you got some rest from all the game work. I really enjoyed watching all that.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #7386682

Nice Mindy!! You are very talented!

Only 5 days until Christmas...
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #7387452

Hey all ,
Mindy those are beautiful.You have talked about them and showed us them ,that I think you have talked me into getting my threads and yarn out and giving it a shot for the winter again LOL I always loved crocheting and just quit when I hurt my fingers and haven't tried again but am going to now.
Have a great day all !

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #7387583

Very pretty, Mindy. You did great.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7387601

Thanks everyone.
Flower I am humbled to read your post about maybe starting again. Just don't rush it and quit when your fingers say so and I think you'll do fine.
Mekos so glad your DIL liked the baby afghan it was a joy to make.
I'm off to see if I can finish up santa before the mail runs so I can mail it to my baby brother since I won't be seeing him
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7388043

hello all... Beautiday day here... Ive managed to get the floors swept and mopped and the kitchen cabinets all washed down... My boys went and picked up a truck load of pecan hulls for me so I think im going out to the flower beds and give them a nice layer of hulls... Sure wish I could talk them into going and getting a load of cow manure for me...I guess im going to have to bribe them for that...I told them thats all I wanted for christmas...They thought I was crazy??? lol
seray53

December 21, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7388368

Hi Everyone

Glad to see everyone is doing well. Cool sunny day here. 33º last night. Warmer tonight. Closer and closer LOL

Xmas is always a great time. My DH and I we are off from our work and go into a nice quiet retreat until the new year. Sometimes away from home and sometimes not. This year not. :) Our families are not large and are spread out so except for Xmas day we can shut down and retreat inward. Meditation is always a good thing and has been part of our life for almost 40 years.

Before I shut this computer down for it's own much needed rest I just wanted to tell everyone here how much fun and joy you have brought to my life this year. It's been one of the liveliest years I've had in a long time trying to keep up with everyone. You have helped me grow and change. You furthered skills that were in infancy and built up confidence in my own abilities. I actually have flower gardens because of you and ideas that keep me up into the wee hours.

You've challenged and helped improve my interpersonal skills and allowed me to express who I really am without turning off your own computers when you see my post. I thank you for that. It's a rare thing outside the virtual world to have so many people who are tolerant and supportive of newbie's mistakes and missteps and just general wackiness.

I'm looking forward to next year because I have so many wonderful people to play with and cry with and just generally be there for. Which makes us all more human. Best wishes to all for a wonderful holiday may your soul be renewed and your heart be filled with joy!

See ya next year! Happy new year!!!

Hugs

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #7388440

Enjoy your retreat to the fullest seray as you will have a very busy year next year LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #7388473

Have a great Christmas retreat Friend. I'm missing you already so get rest and relaxed and come back when you can. GREAT BIG HUGS little buddy. God bless you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #7388544

Have a great Retreat. We will be here when you get back. Like mekos, I'm missing you already.
Love from all my beautiful furbabys and Longears.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #7388968

Enjoy your time off, Seray - We'll see you again next year!

Al
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #7388976

Everyone enjoy your holiday and may the new year start off wonderfully for you.
Santa is finished but looks like everyone's busy so I'll wait to show him off.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #7388997

I want to see him Mindy.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7389041

OK RRM here you go
Santa is coming to town

Thumbnail by Mindy03

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7389148

Mindy, it is beautiful. Is it a wall hanging? He is as cute as can be.
You did a wonderful job.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7389155

Thank you no he's an afghan I just took the picture to show the face off rest is just dark green background

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7389173

Well, he sure is cute and I know a lot of work. Mekos will love it.
What are you making next?? I made some snowman earrings, but too late to send out to anyone.
They are cute I have one pair already on the wires, the rest are just laying there waiting. I make them in different colors. I used to make them and take them to work. I'll have to get you a picture of some of my jewelry that I made.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #7389181

Currently I have a knitted cotton hand towel on the needles. Just started it so hoping to get it done and not rip it out. So far the pattern seems easy enough.
I love snowmen the owner of the beauty shop we go to gave me a little tiny glass one that matches a bigger one my sister gave me last year.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7389202

MINDY, that is beautiful!!! WOW you did a great job. I love it. You are just so talented! (my mouth open drooling)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7389233

Here is a pic of some of my jewelry. Snowmen are there too.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7389247

RRM do you sell it or just make for family.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #7389251

Both. I made some Bracelets for my nieces for Christmas.
Do you see the Snowman, mekos? Do you like them?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7389270

They are georgeous. After christmas when things settle down a bit I'd love to get together with you for gifts for my granddaughters, and DIL. See if you can keep a few photos of some you make for me to see and I'll pay you to make some for me. I love the dark necklace at the right top and acessaries. I adore the snowmen earrings. So neat! And those would be sexy!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7389284

You got them. I made them for you!!!! They are so cute. The dark one is made of Hemetite, they are magnetic. I love to work with them.
I will be glad to make some jewelry for you. Here they are before I put the earwires on them. Thanks

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #7389338

Girlfriend, You should have been giving us pictures of them before Christmas so we could have give you some business. I love that multicolored one too beside the snoman earrings. Is it a necklace or bracelet?
Those snowmen are cuties. OK now how much do you charge for necklace- earrings, and bracelets? I'll need 5 pair snowmen earrings
3 necklaces- 1 dark-2 multicolored ones like in this picture.
5 multicolored bracelets
Tell me how much for those and give me about 2-3 weeks and I'll send you money for them.
I really got to get over Christmas. Everything is expensive now and got to keep bills paid.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2009

Post #7389343

That afghan is beautiful Mindy... your so talented... Charleen you are too... I love my bracelet you sent me... I see you have been busy... Seray I hope you enjoy your time away with family..It was a wonderful year, and I only became an active member here middle of the summer...I have learned lots and collected lots of seeds and plants and more special than all that I have made many new friends...You guys are great!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7389361

You too Hunnybunch. I just got started in the summer too and you all just made my whole year. You won't find friends anywhere like the ones here.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #7390142

Morning everyone! brrr.. woke up and its 45F here... i thought I lived in Central FL?????

Anyways... lokking at ya'lls handiwork. Wow.. some verrrrry talented peeps here. Wish I was handy with the yarn and beads...LOL. However, I can string some macaroni like no one's business!!!

Good work Mindy and Rides... beautiful jobs both of you!

Hiope everyone is keeping warm this morning.. if we are so chilly here in FL, I can imagine the rest of ya's must be freeeeeezin!

alright, Im off to work, but will chat with ya when i get home.. got pressies to wrap and cookies to bake.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7390707

Morning everyone!

Mindy - santa is great! Nice job.

RRM does make very pretty jewelry. I keep meaning to take a pic of my bracelet so you all can see and I keep forgetting - lol.

huney - I lurked a long time then finally paid for a membership. So glad I did too since I have made so many nice friends here!

Nice to see you sis! Did you send me any of those cookies?

loca

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #7391473

Thank you loca. Got to go shopping for new beads. Loved it.
You will remember one of these days.
I have to renew mine in March and it is worth every penny just to have become friends with you all.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #7392065

Thanks for reminding me, mine's due next month too. Seems like just yesterday, it's been a whole year already. I guess we're not newbies anymore!

I do enjoy talking with you all though. Have a nice Holiday everyone!

Al
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 23, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #7392111

Hey Mekos, still want to babysit? The poor baby is throwing up and I don't like him anymore! Merry Christmas to me. LOL

I go into overdrive tomorrow so don't know if I will be on much - I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessing filled Christmas! I know I will, throwing up baby and all.

I have certainly enjoyed the time that I have spent with you folks the last couple of months. I have decided that with guys in the background, there really isn't much I can't do (except make the pitcher plant come back to life - I think it is really dead).
I am looking forward to the coming year and all it has in store and I can't wait until it is spring and we can really plant something!

You guys are the best!
God Bless
Lori
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #7392313

Merry Christmas Lori, just pack his little bag and bring him on over. But you can't come back and get him later! I'm ready when you are. As long as it's permanent. We'll send you pictures and pitcher plants. LOL
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #7392613

Wow I am not sure where all the energy comes from...You are all so creative and I love you all each of you. Mindy the doily is just beautiful, I haven't seen anyone make those since I was a kid. I have two that I have carried with me since childhood. I love them. The Jewelry is so pretty Endi. I have all the beads and sea glas I have been collecting for years and wires and pliers and all that stuff. Just no finished pieces. Oh well next year right?
Thank You Seray for your wonderful words.I wish you Seray and everyone Peace.
Hugs to you all,
Robin
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #7392839

Thank you Robin that doily is getting alot of people wanting one LOL. Even my hard to gift sister loves it.
Wishing you all a Blessed Chrismtas full of memory making moments.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #7392967

Enid, I'll get you another piece as soon as te weather warms up. That way it should make it.
Robin, Thanks, all you have to do is go on comp. google what you want to do and MAKE IT!
You can do it. I love making the jewelry.
Mindy, you throw that thread very good, girl. You do a great job.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7395475

Well my friends the time is drawing near..The gifts are all wrapped... The house is all decorated.. The Children are filled with cheer..It wont be long and Ole Saint Nick will be here...

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7395784

HO...HO...HO!!

AND AWAY WE GO!!

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!

AL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #7396518

Bright Warm Fuzzy nuzzles from ALL the longears. They got two large bales of hay for Christmas, they are overjoyed and hubby is happy too. He doesn't have to feed them a flake or so a night. HOHOHO! Feed them a carrot this am and probably again tomarrow and an apple. Have no children, all my kids are animals. ☺ I wish each one of you a very Merry Christmas Hugs and kisses to all.
Charleen
Charley,
Isabelle, Annabelle and A.T. Monticello & Lucas , Missy, Radar &Lucky Brustus
oh, and dear Hubby, Robert
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7396884

Hi RRM and big hugs to you and all the long ears and of course Charlie.(you can hug the hubby from us) LOL. All the family just left to go home so Santa can arrive and it's finally quiet again. Started raining as everyone left out but we all had a great time and ate too much and got to watch the kids open gifts fron us here. Lots of very excited kids roaming around.
Hope your day was just great and sounds like all the animals got Christmas stockins filled with all the wanted!
Going to turn in early since it has been a long day and I'm pooped. Talk to ya tomorrow. Good night and Merry Christmas.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

December 25, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #7397484

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY

BLONDIE
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #7397759

"The world is a great mirror. It reflects back to you what you are. If you are loving, if you are friendly, if you are helpful, the world will prove loving and friendly and helpful to you. The world is what you are."
- Thomas Dreier

I am sure Thomas is talking about each and everyone one of you. You each are everything he speaks of and I enjoy and appreciate you. My DG world is loving, friendly and helpful. Thank You for a perfectly wonderful year.
Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to each of you.
Robin
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7397866

I hope everyone has the brightest and best holidays ever. Thanks so much for all of the warm wishes!

Laura

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #7398031

Merry CHRISTmas everyone.

Here is too a brighter 2010!

Janet
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 25, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #7398172

Merry Chrismas All!

Does anyone have bougainvillea? I bought a couple at Lowes cheap a couple of weeks ago. I have let them dry out completely and am ready to put them in a new pot. My plant was to put them both in one big pot but without tapping off some of the potting soil that is on the roots now, they won't both fit. Can I do that or should I make a new plan? They are just kinda sitting there waiting on me to decide what to do.

Thanks tons - Lori
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #7398181

Lori, as long as you keep them warm, I don't think you will have a problem, but I noticed you don't have a want list up anywhere. How do you expect people to surprise you with seeds or plants if we can't find out what you would like?
And that goes for everyone else too. Get them there trade list updated. Yous are making it hard on us santa wanta bes. &%$#@^&*(^$@@ !!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 25, 2009

Post #7398214

Ah, thanks Mekos, my savior again! They are inside now of course; they are in my living/dining room which is light by my South windows. They have been quite happy on my table for 2 weeks, actually growing, so thought it a good time to repot them.

I will work on my "want list" today if that's what it takes to keep you from using those symbols. My goodness girl - that is a little harsh! LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #7398217

OK, ♀ ☺

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7398476

Hey Lori...

I have several Bougainvillea and they are tender perennials. Very frost sensitive, especially when small. Warning about growing them in pots - lol - they can get HUGE! I have one that is probably 15' high by 6' wide in the ground. That one survived the big freeze we had a couple years ago only because it is established and so huge! You can grow them in pots to try and keep them small. They are very drought tolerant. Mine rarely get watered by me and it barely ever rains here in the desert. There are some cultivars that are more suited to pots. Are your's named varieties?

Kelly
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 26, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #7398603

The are called cheap Kelly LOL I have no idea what they are-except one is light pink.
It was blooming at the store before they went on clearance. The poor things looked horrible when I bought them, I don't really know why I brought them home. I know nothing about them but here we are, guess we will see what happens.
I will show you their pic now, maybe they will bloom someday and I can show you how well they did. Then again, I could post pics of the silly things dead - one never knows.

Thumbnail by enidcandles

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2009

Post #7398636

LOL - the leaves are green so they are not dead!

Here are a couple pics of mine...

'James Walker'

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2009

Post #7398638

Close up of JW... This is the one that is taking over the west side of my house - lol. It is in FULL ARIZONA SUN and thrives like all get out...

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2009
4:33 AM

Post #7398642

'Jamaica White' - this one has a pinkish tint in the bracts which you really can't see in this pic. I think it was too bright out when I took the photo... This one is only a couple years old and is already about 6' tall. I haven't pruned it much yet so it's not as full as the JW yet...

Thumbnail by locakelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #7398652

Well, Lori, it looks like you are doing it right-looks good girl.
Kelly Those are beautiful! I love them but didn't think I could handle the size they get. I wasn't brave enough to try them, but I think they are the prettiest things when in bloom. And I heard the seed pods take 9 or more months to ripen also and I just don't have patience or room for them. I admire you both for tackleing them though.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 26, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #7398745

They would never make it outside here - I wish they could. If this one would take over the entire corner back there, I could move the kitchen table out and something more plant friendly in. I hate that table, we don't use it and I can't just throw it out. But if the plant would take over the corner, well, it wouldn't be my fault that it needs more room!

Those are gorgeous Kelly - now I have zone envy. However, I am afraid I might melt into a pool of lard in the Arizona heat. It is different here when it is hot - guess I am just used to it.

If only we could have it all...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #7399007

I brought mine in this year. They will die down here too. I have mother and daughter. I made a cutting this last spring in hopes I could do a bonsai. It made it!! Yeah!!! Your plants are going to make it, Lori. Kelly yours are beautiful.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7399746

Thanks ladies! Most people out here hate them because they make such a mess when they drop their bracts. Where mine are all the mess blows against the house and I can just rake it up and toss it in the compost pile - lol. Not a plant you want near your pool...

I see them grown in pots all the time. As lond as you can bring it in for the winter and take it outside in the nice weather it will reward you with it's beauty. Careful though - those thorns are SHARP!! A lot of people plant them near their gates or walls - if some brave soul decides to hop the wall they are gonna get a rude awakening!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #7399829

I cut mine back. It was growing! I put the starts in water.
I know they will take in soil,but don't know about water. Won't hurt to try.
They do have little thorns that is for sure. These are soft yet.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 26, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #7400213

I don't know RRM - I have read that they won't root in water because they don't like to be wet. They only like to be rooted in soil. Like I said, only what I read, don't shoot the messanger, I know nothing.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #7400236

I wouldn't hurt you for anything in the world. I will put them in potting soil or peat , now I got them in jar of water and it has some peroxide in it. Then I will get it in the soil and we will have a plant. It was too long and in the way ,so I trimmed it off. Also chopped off a ming Aralia, got it in water too. Had to shorten plants to put in new plant stand. It was a busy day in the jungle☺ You do know, you were helping and I appreciate it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7400447

RRM, I got the cutest little snoman earrings today and LOVE them. Thank you so much you sweetheart. You did a great job on them. BIG HUGS.
Hunneybunch, I got the seeds today and THANK YOU so much. I can't wait to sow them, I went and got a bunch of pots out so I could get started. Thank you so much, I love them all. Christmas just keeps on coming! Thank you for the sweet thoughts.
It looks like everyone had a great Christmas and special time with the families. Now just keep warm and safe for the winter. It can be harsh at times. I keep hearing about all the snow that has been dumped in other places and it's no fun to be without power and cold, I pray each of you are warm and cozy and stay safe.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 27, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7400772

I just wanted to be sure you knew I don't know what I am talking about, just repeating what I read somewhere. Taking any advise on plants from me could be fatal. LOL. Hope it grows for you - I trimmed mine up a little and stuck a couple in the pot, one of them has leaves coming out on it - I just stuck it in there Christmas Day. I figured it would go into shock or something, shoot out leaves - ya just never know...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7400902

Is anyone else trying to grow Nepenthes besides me and Seray and RRM? If you are wanting to try some, let me know, I have seeds and only a few left but will share with the next 2or 3 that yell at me. I have RRM and Seray already packaged to go out Monday so speak now or forever hold your tongue. These are pitcher plants by the way.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #7400971

mekos, will they grow in zone 6b. If so I'd like some. You have dmail.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

December 27, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #7401317

hi all,

best christmas ever having my son home, he is doing so good, says he has little to no pain,
only when he coughs and sneezes.

hey mekos i want some of those Nepenthes seeds, do you want some baby sundews i have billions growing on the side of the road, i will wait till spring if you want, that is when i am going to get them for me, or i will go get some and send to you now if you would like

well got to get ready to get out son needs to walk and get meds
talk later
blondie
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #7401479

Hi everybody! Seems like I haven't been on here forever. LOL I just got some CP seeds in the mail and need to know how to start them. Anybody?

Hope everyone had a beautiful Christmas. So glad to hear your son is feeling good blonde and that he was home for Christmas.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7401638

The Nepenthes need to be kept at 80-90 degrees to sprout and 70-90 to grow and live. They are tropical and definately will need to be kept inside during winter and outside in summer. They NEED humid growing conditions. I read they are very slow growers but you can devide and root them very easy once growing.
So far I have RRM, Seray, Blondie, Marti001-?, anyone else? Have enough for 1 more. Marti let me know for sure if you still want to try. You might want to google and read up to see how to take care of them and decide by that. I think they are worth the time and trouble but not sure if I can do it and keep them growing myself. But no harm in trying. Got to water in rain water or river water or just no chemicals in the water.Plant like all the others and same soil requirements as the others.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #7401748

Hi everyone, I am kinda lost, I think...is this a newbie thread for questions or chit chat or ...well anyways...I am kind of new...been hanging around the forums just reading here and there...I have tons of questions but not sure where to ask them.
Like, I have an elephant ear and read somewhere to bring it inside and let it go dormant for the winter. So does that mean not watering it?
Also, I have lots and lots of French marigold and firecracker seeds...along with echinacea seeds...so I can contribute to the newbie collection if you want them. So do I just send them to Mekos or Arejay?
Plus, is there a thread here (been searching but only find pitcher plant stuff) about venus fly traps? Daughter has one we have kept alive for 6 months now but not sure if it needs replanted or what.
And last but not least, can you start a lasagna garden any time? and does it work to plant peas and onion sets in it during the spring?
Sorry if this is the wrong spot to ask all this stuff but not too sure how to find things yet...
Julie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7401778

Hi Julie, Welcome to our humble abode. We'll be happy to help all we can.
you can send all you beautiful seeds to me.LOL hehe
NO, if you want to contribute you may send to Arejay for the newbie cause to help them .
RRM and Seray probably could help you more with the VFT.
What is your zone # , mine is 7 and if you are about the same, I might can help in some ways. We,re always having fun and games to play to win extra seeds if you like to play along, that will be fun. Hang around and you may find seeds you would like to grow and we always try to help new members get started out in any way we can.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7401795

Well, excuse me, I see you are in zone 6. Anyone around here in zone 6 help her out with her EE's winterizeing. I know nothing about that. I'm in 7 and I leave mine in ground all year long. Sorry. Come on girls, where is everyone this morning? Late sleepers I guess.
Lasagna gardens can be done at anytime. You can plant as soon as your zone allows also with the lasagna garden. It's ready when you are. We all made them over the summer. I am letting mine sit till spring to plant because I have plants in the greenhouse to go in them and they won't be ready to plant till then. Others made theirs and planted right away. Hope this helps some and others will be around as the day goes on so hang around and be sure to join in on the fun as it pops up. The more the merrier.
Edited to say since you are new have you sent off for your free packs of seeds from Arejay yet? If not please do. You just d-mail her with your info and send her an envelope with postage and she will be happy to share seeds to help you get started - you tell her what kind of seeds you like and she will try to fill you with closest she has to that.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2009 12:10 PM
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #7401971

JHulie,
Just bring them in and let go dormant and water about once every 2 weeks or so.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #7402021

I'm in 8b, so I can't help her. But I do want to Welcome Jar617 to our Forum. We need everyone to help each other out.
Mekos, What Snowman??? That darn mule must have got it my Craft room. I kept hearing him talk about Mojitos and sammwiches.
Can't tell what Charley goin ta do next. Dog gone mule...lol☺
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7402033

Thanks Flower, I'm not familiar with gardening in other zones. I know Seray is on a well deserved vacation retreat and figured RRM could help with the VFT information she needs.
Awful windy here today. Sun is shining but cold blowing winds are just plain out chilly.
Have a great day everyone.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #7402039

Charlie loves me, Sending Mojitos and turkey sammiches to him and big hugs too. I'm kinda sorta fond of him too ya know. Thanks!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #7402047

Thanks for the information! At least I hopefully won't kill it now.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7402053

I believe some of the girls, do bring them in and put them in a garage for the winter. They don't water them except maybe when the soil dries out. I have some Gingers that Seray gave me and I just potted them in soil and they are sitting here and I have NOT watered at all. But guess what? I have one that is sending up a little Spike. This is first year forEE. Love them I have them in potting soil but am only watering when soil is DRY> Then I worry. Water is some plants worse enemy in the winter and I have to be careful, or I will "LOVE" them to death. I do hope this helps...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #7402075

Hi Julie!! Welcome!

Lots of knowledge here - just ask away... Since I'm in a way warmer zone than most of the peeps here I'm not much help with wintering advice... I really don't have "winter" so to speak - lol.

Kelly
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7402113

Yea, Loca gets to swim all year-lucky girl. Grows vegies all year round and flowers bloom all the time. The kind we all envy and the ones in Florida.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #7402213

Well, I guess jar617 and I will be learning together. I'm used to zones 8 thru 10, year round gardening. Now I'm in zone 6b and the nursery is closed for the winter. Even WalMart and Lowes has no plants for me to think about. I do have many catalogs and am making out my list of things to order.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7402234

Well you guys need to make sure to get your want lists up so everyone can see what kind of things you are interested in growing so if the rest of us have some, we can share with you and make it a little easier on your ordering.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #7402241

Ys but Mekos, I lived in Daytona Beach for quite some time and what they don't have down there is drizzling days where you can just bake all day and curl up by the fire with a good book and sip hot chocolate all day. (don't mind me,...I miss being there so I have to use the sour grape theory. sounded good at least!)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #7402248

I need to do that too? don't I??? Wlmart and Lowes are getting a few plants in. Just have to watch where they keep the tropicals. Every place id different. I couldn't believe the frozen plants I saw at one Wal-mart. I was so upset, what a waste of life. Lowes is getting theirs in too. Broms and Orchids, Mekos are being shipped in. Spring is on it's way now.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #7402301

My HD and Lowe's have everything right now - crazy!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #7402310

They are greedy for every penny you have. Christmas starts at Holloween now, So Gardening starts as soon as Christmas is over.
Amazing, isn't it???
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7402341

That is one of the reasons I learned to propagate alot of my plants so I could have more and share some without spending alot of money. Amazing what a $4 bottle of rooting compound can do to help the budget! Plus I can sell any plant starts at the local farmer's market or right from the house as long as they aren't patented.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #7402363

mekos,
I have so many things I want. I just have to take it easy and get planted what everyone has already sent me. I'm trying to compost the yard using lasgana gardening and leaf mulch. This ground is not fit to grow anything but weeds and pasture grass. When you dig up some and hold it in your hand it is sticky feeling. So I know it needs lots of compost. I have almost 5 months to get something done with it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7402418

Way to go girls, get the soil ready and what a garden you will have this spring/summer! My greenhouse is bursting at the seams with green and a few blooms right now. I got to round up more cardboard for another LONG lasagna bed inside my back fence that I want to plant some brugmansias and a few SUN loving plants. It's full hot sun back there for 3/4 ths of the day-hottest part of the day too. I'm thinking castor beans and brugs and anything that grows tall. That way they can shade some in the front beds from the hottest sun. My soil is hard red georgia clay that nothing will grow in except ANTS. Got a lot more work to do also before spring.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7402673

HI Everyone I see you all are in full gardening mode again. Welcome Julie I'm in 6b so here's your options on the elephant ears.. you can either bring in and let die back until spring or you can treat like houseplant and keep it green. Can't help with the VFT though I've managed to kill those but I do remember Seray saying they like peaty boggy soil and rain water, pond water or spring water to drink. Tap water has chemicals in it they don't like.
Mekos shame on you trying to get your hands on her seeds before Robin does. And I'm not posting a want list cause I have so many seeds coming in from the piggy swap I'll be hard put to figure where the heck I'm going to start them all. Where to plant isn't too much of a problem we live on 360 acres so I figure I've got room just means a little exercise to make the beds. Besides, when I'm looking for something I just hollar at you anyway GRIN..
DH is happy with the chckens today four of them have started back laying again so he's happy and promised them some good feed next time we go to Somerset.
And I'm happy with him cause he's getting me a gas heater for the plant room as my gift from Santa. He even put a Christmas card in our box with the return address North Pole and a note stating what my gift was. Gotta love the man.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #7402786

Mindy,
Is there any place in Monticello that has smooth river rock or is it just the shale that I find on my side of Cumberland Lake?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7402849

Mindy that is nice. He sure must have really had a great chat with Santa to get that for ya. I'm looking into a propane tank with the heater for mine just in case the power goes off this winter. I don't want them to freeze after all I have put into growing the stuff.
I guess you should be giving Santa a really big hug for that.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #7403101

Mindy, 360 acres...that is a dream come true for me...I rent but the house sits on 40 acres and the landlady lets me do what ever I want...her words were...make yourself at home...So I did..chickens, gardens, and all...

Well, ladies, you all have a great night..chat with you in the morning...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #7403583

Good morning everyone. Mary all I've seen is the usual pavers you see in Somerset. Might be some smooth rocks along the creek haven't been down there in a long long time. Have you checked the creeks around Somerset?
Mekos, the propane tank is what he's getting for mine. I had told himi I wanted a heat source that didn't depend on electricity because when the wind blows hard around our area sometimes our electric goes off when the tree limbs hit the wires somewhere. They've been working on clearing limbs away from the wires but still happens. And then I took into consideration that sometimes we get a blizzard which can knock us out of power for over a week like it did last time we had one. We are at the end of the line so to speak so everyone else gets their power back before we do. DH told me last night he was going to fix up another section of the building where my plant room is for me to use but I think I'll turn that one into my craft room. He only took one section for himself for his riding mower repair shop. He got lots of big hugs from me.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2009

Post #7403811

Good morning all. Well, they finally got the highways open again, so we can all get home after the holidays! Gotta love the snow! Heeheehee! It sure is good to be able to travel and get home. Spent all day yesterday, (after they opened the roads) digging everyone in and out! Now to get ready for the new year!
Welcome, Julie! You will love it here, as we are all a fun loving bunch, and are happy to help!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 28, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7403833

Good morning all! The sun is shining here and supposed to be up to 40. The baby is off to daycare; feeling well by the way, so I might actually get something done today!
I am going to winter sow some moonvine and hardy hibiscus to see what happens. I have tons of white/pink and pink/pink hardy hib seeds if anyone wants a few. They are in the freezer for two weeks, there were bugs in the seed pods when I cleaned them, gotta get those froze to death before I share. From what I understand, the darn bugs really don't do much harm, they make a tiny hole in the seed but the seeds germinate anyway. Some though seeds I suppose!
I also have about a billion mixed single hollyhocks if anyone wants some of those.

I am trying to germinate some crepe myrtle right now - just started them last night so we will see how they do.

Have a great day fellow gardeners - God has bestowed one more lovely one upon us, make the most of it - I know I am gonna!
Lori
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7403912

I'd like some of your hollyhock seeds. I love hollyhocks and am trying to get as many as I can to plant along a 192 foot fence. I can't have a real wide garden along the fence and I think a long row of hollyhocks would look great. Check my have list to see if I have anything you'd like in trade.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 28, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7403974

Marti - I sent you Dmail - I will be more than happy to share with you!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7404045

You need any red 4:0'clocks to plant with them?? I got quite
a few of those, Marti. How about you Lori? Need some 4:0clock's
Charleen
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 28, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7404083

RRM - I have Four O'Clocks - are yours a deep red or the common kinda pinkish ones? Mine are all NOID and mixed, I don't have any that are really red though.

See, now you found something that I know I can grow! Four O'Clocks are one of my favorites! Easy to grow - throw the seed on the ground, water once in awhile if you think about it and boom - flowers.LOL Even I can't mess those up without lots of effort!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7404096

Good morning everyone...well ok, afternoon...but I slept in today. I looked outside and saw it was white so crawled back under my comforter...now it looks like a blizzard is coming and I don't mean from Dairy Queen...
I do not have much to trade but if any hollyhock seeds are still available, I would love some...I need to add more to my have list at the end of this week...
Well, might lose a rabbit...kinda rescued three from a farmer's auction...they were born without any ears...had them all summer and now into winter...the doe got out and my daughter's dog attacked, one bite, in the middle of the back...she's not doing to good.

I am off to fix the kids lunch...strange having them home on a Monday morning...but I love having them here because they are at that stage where they are trying to get their mouths and brains synchronized...so there is no telling what will come out of their mouths...I laugh a lot these days just hearing them talk.

Ok, Ladies...Have a good day!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7404146

REd. Good Lord girl, you are a mess!!! I have problems growing things too. It takes lots of Practice. So Hang in there and Just keep planting.
If you want some seed just send me a d-mail jar617 so I can get an address. You don't have to send anything.
Enjoy those Kids!!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #7404220

Sure hope for your sake that the blizzard we got isn't the one headed your way! LOL Wouldn't think that it would still have much snow, tho, as it left us with over a foot of snow, and 30 miles east of us, it was nice enough to leave about 3 feet of snow! Anybody need any snow for those snowballs? I do have a little extra right now! All roads were closed for almost 3 days while the crews were trying to clear drifts. Good thing we are supposed to have a mild winter. Teehee!
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

December 28, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7404286

hi all,

welcome jar and marti

well it is gonna freeze here tonight oh no my room is going to become a jungle, for 1 night, too many seedlings to protect. well, just thought i would check in to see what was new.

everyone have a wonderful day
blondie
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 28, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #7404349

RRM - you KNOW I am a mess - but I sorta work at that. LOL
My house is a mess, my truck is a mess, my yard is a mess, my life is a mess...I could go on and on but I have FUN! (at least most of the time). Life is too short to take everything too seriously!

Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper. Think I will dye my hair pink - make it spikey and wear a tutu - can you picture that?? Hope you haven't had lunch yet, the thought could make you ill!!

This is me, trying to get my great niece to look at my mom for a pic - she was pretty busy bopping me with the fairy wand. Now, picture that dressed like Cyndi Lauper, in the 80's dancing around - that even makes me laugh!!

Remember, I am a truck driver slash mean biker b*(&% - looking the part there. LOL

Thumbnail by enidcandles

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #7404360

Yeah, you look o.k. to me. Here I am. Could be, we're kin. I am a
mess to, but that's o.k. Got to do something to keep us buy and out of trouble.

jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7404459

ok, well the snow can leave now...any takers???? It is 2 1/2 hours since my last post and it still has not let up...I do not have 4x4 to get out of here this winter...we all may get to be great friends if all I can do all day long is play on the 'puter! Is it too early to start vegie seeds?...i know i know...but i get antsy in the winter waiting for spring to hit..and when I look out and can not see the shed, i get really antsy...the joys of rural (boondock) living! lol

stay warm everyone...take care
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 28, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #7404598

Yep RRM bettin' we are related down the line somewhere. LOL - You are my kind of gal, you can hang out at my house anytime. We will get Mekos here to make the mojitos and chase off the misquitos(dang I am funny today).
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #7404626

I heard that! Hi everyone. just getting on. Been busy putting together a big dog kennel for my two big dogs, my BIL called and wanted me to take grandma's little chihuahua. After she died he don't want to keep it and he stuck her outside in a tiny pen in their back yard. Needless to say I went and rescued her this morning and went and got her 2 winter coats and blankets and a bed and pet crate for her to stay in when we are gone so she don't get into something. Anyway she is quite happy now and at home. DH already loves her. Spoiling her like she is a tiny baby.
Sorry about you guys all getting so much snow. Everyone getting it didn't want any and here I am wanting it and where is mine????? NO where to be seen. I feel cheated.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 28, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #7404636

Our snow is almost all melted now Mekos - we had a white Christmas though. It is 48 right now - and I am cleaning today. Sucks to be me!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #7404663

When you get snowed in or closed up for a while ya get the cabin fever, maybe when you can get out a little just walk around some and just makes you feel good to get for a few minutes. I don't have that problem. No snow here, just wet mud and cold winds but not bad. At least the sun is out and if you are in the sun it's not too cold. Just nothing to do outside. This is boreing weather. Too cold to grow stuff and too wet to dig.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #7404668

WELL!!! I didn't get my white Christmas! And I was so hoping for my first Christmas in Kentucky to be a white one.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7404671

Sorry about that Marti, I guess we BOTH got cheated.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 28, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7404684

See, Mekos - that's what gets me in trouble! Can't dig anything, can't plant anything - so I walk around the yard and plan on how I am going to spend DH money on my next garden project. He hates it when the the sun shines - always costs him money. Not today though, gotta get back to cleaning!!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #7404692

Well if I could find a way to bag it up and send it to you I would. It has been snowing for a steady 4 hours here. I guess the bright side is the snow is drifting down and not pouring in like rain, which means the ground is covered, the roads are slick but the accumulation doesn't seem to be that bad.
***runs off to the address exchange and then to the basement for a cooler for Mekos and Marti*** lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #7404895

It is going to be alright girls. Spring is on the way. But the sun was shinning and temp is 43f. now. Wind blowing some too.
I don't like cleaning either Lori, I'd rather be out in the garden, playing in the dirt.
Mekos, how big is the Chichuahua, how bout a pic??? You knew I was gonna ask. I love critters.
I might have something she can wear if she isn't too tiny.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #7404897

LOL Hahaha thanks little buddy. Somebody loves us.LOL
But Lori, if you keep that want list updated, hubby could keep some of his money cause some of us always got extra seeds to share when we know what people are looking for. Good things come to those who have a little patience and a good want list. Hahaha
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7404916

Both new coats are too small. They fit but tight so she would be miserable in them. FUDGE!!! The coats are the smallest you can get. I guess she needs the next size up. I gave her a bath and she is chilly right now. Will get a picture a little later as she settles a bit. She is cinnamin colored.(I call liver colored) She is about 4 pounds. She will be 3 on March 15th. I'm trying to find a real good name for her. They named her taco, I'm not too fond of that so how about helping me name her. If I like the name you guys pick, I'll send you a pack of seeds. How is that? I been thinking about Tinker Bell. But not sure. OK, Name my dog contest. Winner gets a pack of seeds.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #7404924

Sounds like Cinnamon. too many Tinkerbelle's. But Iknow she is Beautiful. My baby is 10 lbs, he a little butterball, like his mama and daddy but we love him. Even if he is Paranoid. Here he is with Uncle Lucky Brutus, but the chi is more of a brute than Lucky is. Lucky is a lovebug Boston Terrier.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009

Post #7404940

So cute. My husband LOVES Boston Terriers. We use to raise the tiny ones. But I got too old to be up all night delivering puppies and taking care of them and cleaning all the time so when ours died of old age NO MORE. Wasn't planning to have ANY more at all but this was grandmas and couldn't stand it being out in the cold all the time in the back yard all alone. Grandma loved her little dog, she'd kick his behind if she knew he did that to her.
OK ----names now.
IrisUniverse
Twinsburg, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #7404942

I met with a friend today to celebrate our birthdays. I turned 65 yesterday and my client buddy turned 61. He gave me some zinnia seeds from his garden. White (bush-like) zinnia seeds. Last year I tried planting some zinnia seeds I saved from the previous year and they did not germinate. I wonder how many varieties of zinnia are just bred for one year production so you buy more seeds. Any experienced zinnia lovers out there?

I am a newbie and have not got on the TRAIN yet to get in the swing of exchanging seeds. How do I get going?

I would like the following seeds:

bright colored large zinnias
deep red zinnias
bleeding heart
cone flowers (colors other than purple)
cleome
petunias (anyone harvest these; seems very difficult)
New Gueni Impatiens
Pelargoniums (usually I just start these from cuttings, but some new varieites would be nice)
Ivy geraniums (anyone know how to get these seeds; I have never seen seed formation on variety I have)

I have the following to share:

rose of sharon
sweet williams
purple cone flowers
marigolds
coreopsis
ageratum
cosmos

Look forward to getting in the swing of seed sharing.

I got three new seed starting heating pads for Chirstmas. I ordered them on Ebay for about half price. My wife wrapped them.

Thands for breaking me in gently.

DJ

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #7404971

DJ, I have cleome, you came to the right spot.
How lucky on the heating pads. Send me a d-mail and I'll get you your seed.
Mekos, what about CINNAMON? Doesn't that sound like a good name for your baby?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #7404976

Hi DJ. Welcome to our part of heaven. LOL
I have Zinnias and just toss the seeds and they seem to all sprout with cousins too. I'll be glad to share. I have giant pink and yellow and some mixed colors-orange, pink and white and purple-ish colors. Send me a private d-mail with your address and name and will send them out Wednesday when I go back to the post office.
You may just want to sprinkle the seeds on top of potting soil and water and just wait for sprouts. That is all I know to do. The zones have a lot to do with germination so ANY ZONE 5 people out there help him out here.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #7404986

I'll keep it in mind but still looking to see if I can find something unique. Here she is.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7405000

What did Granny call her? That may be what she is used to.
She is sooooo cute and timid. Poor BABY. I'm glad you
rescued her Mekos, she is adorable.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7405004

DJ I have a few seeds of petunias but can send you some cuttings if you like. I have blue, black and red and this spring I have a yard full of all colors that come back each year- old fashioned kind like grandma use to have.
I also have some geraniums but NOID and the seeds are in the dead blooms. When they fall they re seed. I can send cuttings of mine but not sure it's what you want. I'll go find some pictures in my greenhouse if I can. Here is one and I got another.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #7405016

They called her Taco. Like you eat.?!? NOT
Here is some blue and a red petunia. Clip the top off and put in soil and wet it and it will sprout. Also got seeds in there.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7405030

NO!! I don't think so either. Sounds like Tinkerbelle to me...Hubby said call her "O'Reilly" like Radar. That and UBS, What's UBS?
"you'll Be Sorry" he said from Experience. But we still love him, even if he is a little nut.
I still have Black Columbine seed too, marigold, Jeruselum Cherry. I can send a "Care" welcome aboard envelope.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7405059

Hey that is a thought. DJ did you get your welcome pack from Arejay59? When you are new she sends seeds to welcome new members in. If you haven't , d-mail her and tell her what you like and send her a envelope with postage and she will mail you back 10 or more packs of seeds, all kinds that you like.
RRM, my candle flower, I believe they call them now ,Lords and ladies. Ain't she purdy.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #7405085

Mekos, I have some of those, Arums, is whatI think thay are. Is yours in a shade? I thought about listing them in my haves. they are coming up now and look so pretty. Don't they?? I will have to make a tag "Lords and Ladies" Thanks. the red is Fruit, isn't it?? They are beautiful.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #7405159

Right now mine are in the greenhouse. When I bought them a few years ago they were called Candle flowers(I bought the seeds from a seed catalog) They never bloomed before but I keep them out next to my pond when they are outside under the canopy so they get filtered sun and bright light but no hot sun. They have been doing good and this year I found the name called Lords and Ladies. They are Arums. That is not my picture, just showing what they look like.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #7405245

Mine look very similaiar, I'll have to get you a pic. tomarrow. they do have a bloom but then it has orange berries. Self seed I'm sure for there are quite a few out there now. I will see about getting you some more seed if they bloom again. They sort of thrive on neglect cause they just do their own thing. I'll get you a pic.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7405295

Yes the red balls are the seeds , they go from green to orange and then red before falling off. I wasn't sure if they would be ok outside in winter so I keep them in a large pot and take in to the greenhouse for winter. Everything seems to be doing good in the greenhouse so far and getting green and making blooms and I guess I should be feeding them with a good plant food but wanted it all to go dormant and just be protected but they won't quit growing. Most everything is doing it's thing. Only got a few things that went dormant.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #7405785

Oh where did you all find the Lords and Ladies? I have been hunting for some for quite awhile now and here you all have them !
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #7405790

Don't mean to change the subject here, but wanting a really good sugar cookie recipe. Either for cutting, or drop type, and would love a good old family recipe, if anyone has one. I tried 3 off the internet before Christmas, and just wasn't thrilled with any of them. You can email me with any if you don't want to post here. Thanks!!
OK, back to gardening chit chat! LOL
Oh! Forgot to mention, that in the process of digging 4 foot of snow away from my daughters house so they could get the babies inside, we got some snow inside their house. Woohoo! Good grandma that I am, I made it into snowballs and taught my twin grandsons how to have a snowball fight with their Dad. They are only 20 months old, but heck, every kid needs to know what a snowball is! Teehee! So cute! They couldn't figure out why it kept getting smaller, and then just disappeared! Too funny!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #7405832

How cute skellogg, you go grandma. Teach them kids, that is what grandparents are for. Every body needs to know how to throw a snowball.
Flower, I bought mine several years ago but they were called candle flowers then. If you want to wait till summer, I'll be glad to send you one of mine when I repot them to put in a larger pot. Course RRM might have some seeds left from hers. Just let me know what you want to do. If she don't let me know.
Sorry, I'm not good with cookies except pina colodo cookies. I just have a tropical flavored sweet tooth. But Loca probably got some. She is probably in bed by now but may see this tomorrow and hunt you one.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
8:53 AM

Post #7406135

What a cute little dog...Looks a little timid too...Tinkerbell is too long a name...I'd shorten it to Tink...
Still like the name Wicket though...small, brown...furry...ewoks rule! lol

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #7406241

jar617 and Marti,I dont remember getting envies from either of you ...I have lots of seeds here...Many hollyhocks and lots of other things. Dmail me. Good Morning everyone. We had a whisper of spring yesterday. Rain. Strangest thing it did not last long a foot of snow this morning. I dont remember who asked but I am in zone 5a I plant onions in the spring in Lasagna gardens and I add to my lasagna garden in the winter what the turkeys don't eat will compost. Seray is out until after the new Year she is the lasagna garden expert I would say ...Nice to see you all bubbling for spring. Envies are slow for the holidays I bet everyone is going to wait until after the new year and all come at once are you is that what you are all up to?
Jan such a cutie that new member of the family. Did you pick a name, Is it tinkerbell?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #7406338

Good morning everyone Cold out there brrr Mekos I like the name Fawn for your baby It's short, matches her color and timid nature
skellog I have some sugar cookie recipes let me dig out my school cookbook that should be old fashioned enough for you as the recipe in there is the same one my sister Patsy was given and she was 8 years older than me. She's gone to heaven a long time ago so thank you for making me think of her. I also have a lemon flavored one that's good even DH snitches them when I'm not looking claims he doesn't like lemon so I make them for myself and can't keep them. Will post them later as I need to clean the house and do laundry before I do anything fun today.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7406522

Oh those sound wonderful I remember making an old fashion sugar cookie with lemon. I love them cant wait to see the recipe Mindy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #7406523

Fawn is a beautiful name , Mindy. FF you know how to D-mail me. I have some of those Arums. I took pic. this morning.
So here are my Lords and Ladies. The Cannas grow out there too. I know they will be easy to find.
arejay, are they Wild Turkeys or domestic?? I hear them in our woods sometimes.
Snowball throwing Twins. How Delightful! Would like to see that. Grandpa loved it too, didn't he??
Forgot-Good Morning all-30 degrees and the sun is shinning bright. Beautiful day. Greenbeans in the crock pot with a ham bone. got a load of Laundry in the washer and UG!! gotto mop the floor!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7406601

Those are beautiful RRmule!! My turkeys think they are domestic but they are not they are wild it starts out with or and before winter is done I am feeding or more and at least that many deer. The turkeys if they dont get fed on the regular schedule knock at the door like they think I am going to let them in!!! No kidding they really do I have pictures of them..

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7406611

Great! Let us see them.
What fun!!I love critters.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009

Post #7406676

Okay - I'm back from my long winter's nap (along with extended visits to far away relatives). My mailbox was piled with seed catalogs from everywhere! Time to think about Spring again I guess..

DJ, where are you? Zinnias and Marigolds are easy for me here in NY, but it's a little early to start right now. Usually I do seed starts in mid-April to plant out around Memorial Day. Here's the easy way I do it. Take a half gallon cardboard milk carton and cut it in half length wise making two halves that look like little boats. Poke a couple of holes in the bottoms for drainage and fill with good quality potting soil. Dampen the soil down a little bit and evenly spread your seeds across the top, add just enough soil to cover the seeds. Germinate in a warm spot (top of refrigerator), then move to a cool windowsill to grow out. Gradually move outside to a sunny porch to harden off. In 5 or 6 weeks you should have a nicely leaved crop that can be easily sliced with a knife into 2" squares for your transplants.

Marigold and Zinnias are simple for me, this may also work for several other plants. Anybody else do this?

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

agnella
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7406852

Okay, I'm about to show my newbie colors...I am sorry i have not been back in a bit but (don't laugh...okay, I guess you can chuckle) I was coming to this forum by way of link in an e-mail. Well, guess what??? I forgot to save the e-mail and couldn't find it so I have had a terrible time navigating the site to find the forum again. I am directionally challenged...
Anyway, hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. I must say a big THANK YOU for the newbie seed package I got earlier in the month. It took me a bit to get it all sorted out but I was like a kid in a candy store. Hopefully, after I get it all growing I can collect the seed. I've only collected seed on plants that have easy to find seed so I am definitely a Newbie with this, too.
I'm so excited for Spring to come. Glad we've not had any snow here but we've had terrible wind, cold and lots of rain.

Love seeing all the pictures everyone posts.
Mekos, cute little dog. Reminds me of the kiwi I had this morning, just a nugget of a dog. I have a small dog that makes that pitiful look sometimes. Maybe Kiwi????
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009

Post #7406912

Good morning everyone.A brisk COLD out here. Was 25 last night.
RRM that is what mine look like, they are so pretty. Do you have any seeds of yours left? Flower is looking for some , maybe you guys can get together if you do. If not, I'll devide mine this spring to repot and send her one.
Welcome back AL. Hope your Christmas was much fun and good memories. Hi Arejay, I had thought about calling her tinkerbell. That was the first thing to come to mind but thought there may be something else that might suit her better so figured we could get a game going out of it and let someone pick a pack of seeds from me if they come up with something better. Let a turkey come knock on my door, I would BET my husband would invite them in for dinner! LOL hahahaha - BIG mistake turkey!!!!!LOL Too funny.
Mindy I think we all like lemon cookies. You guys will have us all baking soon.
So nice to see all the new bees back. Lucy has a reputation of scaring the new bees away. Get back Lucy!!!
Hope everyone has a good day and Sure MISS YOU SERAY!!! Have I told you lately?????
Keep the names coming. Well pick one for sure in a couple days.

Already named----- Taco ( SO DON'T LIKE)
Now calling her --- Tinkerbell --- for lack of better name.

1. Fawn --- Mindy
2. Jar ---- Tink
3. RRM- O Rilley
4. Agnella -- Kiwi
5. Tana or Canela -- Skellogg
6. Tiki-- Enidcandles

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 1:10 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7406995

I can send Flower some of the Arums when the weather, I owe
her anyway for that Beautiful philo she sent me. It is a beauty!
I am so proud of it. Now, tell me this is not a Beautiful plant!
Come on back Seray, I miss you too. Planted those little purple
cp and got it in frig. in butter compartment.
Do you think we need a new thread Arejay? Meko's needs a new puppy name.
I still like Fawn.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7407025

That is beautiful RRM. I love the verigation in the leaf. WOW! Good find.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7407080

How about Canela for the little new member? Means cinnamon in Spanish. But I also like Tana. And of course we will keep thinking for you!
Got a huge batch of chili made for tonight, so feel free to stop in for dinner everyone. Sure wish I could figure out how to make a small batch, but I just don't think it's possible. LOL
Looking forward to trying the cookie recipes! I love cookies, although don't really need them. Maybe I'll give some of them away so I don't eat them all. My DSIL was "kind" enough to tell me that the average person gains 12 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years. Just the kind of info I needed to know :-( It'll take me a whole year to lose that! LOL
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 29, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #7407147

Hey Mekos - she looks like a Tiki to me - you know tiki tourch; lights up your world.
My dogs are named Chigger and Junior so who am I for names!

Skellogg - I am sick today - bad cold - I will be over for the chili, that sounds really good!

I can gain 12 pounds looking at food - I don't even have to eat it.

I gonna go back to bed - I feel really crappy!

Here is Chigger - she is a 10lb toy aussie

Thumbnail by enidcandles

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7407158

Morning everyone! Sorry mekos and sk - no good sugar cookie recipe here. I haven't made them in ages. I go for cooking more complicated things and I don't know why 'cuz I really like sugar cookies. I'll wait for the recipe right along with you all...

Cute little doggie mekos! My choice would be Tink or Fawn - both seem to fit her...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #7407159

She ate all day yesterday and I weighed her this morning and she weighs 6 lbs. I had guessed about 4 because she is small but she just wouldn't quit eating and still is but I figure he just fed her once a day and that was scraps and I keep food out all the time and I feed her Eukanuba for small breed animals and she loves it. I figure she thinks she may get hungry like before and just keeps eating but eventually will slow down. She is very shy but so happy and hyper too. She wants to be petted and held but at the same time so timid because for the last 1 and 1/2 -2 years she has seen no one and not been out of that pen. She seems so starved for love and attention. Well, she is getting attention now.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7407164

Enid, you take care! Don't want you to get sick. Definately the wrong time of year for that. Seems to take so much longer to bounce back this time of year. I'll keep the chili warm for you!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #7407168

They are high energy little dogs just like my Yankee. Maybe sk needs one to lose all that weight she's gonna gain eating all that chili and cookies?!?! She will settle down, but not much - lol. Chihuahuas are also very protective of their owners mekos. No one will mess with you if that little dog really likes you - she'll tear them up - no kidding. My BIL has chihuahuas and that is exactly how they are...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7407172

Thanks for the name suggestion Enid. Hope you feel better soon. Drink lots of fluids and get vitamin C to give you some energy and resistance to germs. Stay warm and rest a lot.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7407182

Sorry Loca, you posted as I was typing.
Yes she is protective of her food bowl right now. My cat came in to see her and wanted to play and she tried to bite him. He thought she was crazy. You should have seen his face when she growled, he didn't know what a growl was. I'm hoping she will get over the food agression and bowl guarding as she sees she has food all the time.
I'm sure it won't be long till she gets settled and more secure of everything and starts the protective mode. They seem to think they are roaring lions.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7407188

Once she realizes she will have food available she will stop being so protective, but it will take some time. Poor kitty got a shocker, huh? Cats can take care of themselves - he will probably lose interest in the growling fur ball soon enough - lol...

Off to lunch... Think I have time to dash to WY for some chili?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7407210

mekos, keeping her bowl full all the time will let her know that there will always be food for her. guarding the food is her defense behavior and may or may not get better. I had a dog like that once and it took the better part of a year before he didn't guard his bowl with agression. I taught him to sit and would have him sit 4 feet from the bowl when I put food in and than I would tell him to come and get it. Once food was in his bowl, I never touched his bowl until he walked away from it and than only to put food in it. I also did alot of hand feeding so he would learn not to grab food from my hand and bite me doing it. I would offer him small bites of food and say easy, easy. I never drew my hand away. Yes I got nipped a couple of times, but I never punished him. I just yell ouch and than offered him another bite and kept saying "Easy, easy. When he took it gently I told him in a very soft and happy voice what a good boy he was. He quickly learn the terms "Good boy" and Bad boy". Of course, I was working with a abused German Shepard. After that year, I was able to place him in a loving home. He lived there with those good people and had a wonderful 12 years before he was gentle put to sleep. He was 2 years old when I took him in. So out of 14 years, he had 12 year of love and kindness. He was a good dog.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7407252

Oh Marti, that is so swet. I have such a tender heart with the animals and feel so bad when they don't get treated right. They are like family to me. Little kids. At least yours got 12 years of love and that outweighs the first bad 2. We have rescued several over the years and placed in good homes and I always go check later to be sure too.
My husband is really getting attached to this one. He takes her out to potty and he talks like he is talking to a baby calling her daddy's little girl.LOL I woke up this morning to him outside at the window talking to her while she was doing her thing.It was so cute. He's off work for another week so lots of time for him to bond with her.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7407284

I know how you feel. I have to stop myself from taking in every animal I see not being cared for properly, but I can't take care of more than my two cats, both rescued. I just don't have the money for more. It's sad to because I now have the yard to do rescue work but no money to care for the animal or build kennels for them. Of course, my neighbors here might get upset if I started having a large number of dogs and or cats here.

I am saving up to buy the things I need to build an outdoor yard for my two cats. That way they can go outside and still be safe. Shorty is only coming 4 but he was thrown out of a moving car onto a highway at 4 1/2 weeks old. He has brain damage from it and has seizures and I'm afraid to just let him roam the neighborhood. He gets confused easily and can't figure how to get back to the front door even if its only a few feet. Ginger is now 9 yrs old and I don't want her to get lost or hurt. The kennel from them will be 6ft wide, 8ft long and 8ft high. That will give them plenty of room to wonder and climb as I will put in climbing post etc for them plus a catnip plant of two and beds and feeders. I;ll build it up against the trailer and on good days I can just open the window and they can come and go to their hearts content.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #7407334

What a great idea. I would not have thought about making the access door through a window for them.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7407431

It's like a doggy door, only it's a kitty transom. Lori, Yor baby is pretty. Get some chicken soup, it will make you feel better. Me, too, Mati. Husband has me on restrictions as to how many critters I can have. He knows I would have a zoo, if uncontrolled. I have 4 dogs, 3 donkeys, 1 Mule, that's Charley and numberous chickens. No cats, but I would take one if it would show up.
Yep, chili would be good today, it is cold out.
Marti, you going to put a top on that fence. I would. Chicken netting would work, That's what I did for my Chickens to keep varmits from getting them.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7407454

Of course it will be enclosed for safety. It will also be portable. How's that? I've done this before and it works great. Just need to buy the wood and chicken wire.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #7407530

I figured you would enclose it. don't know when a Owl might want a kitty cat for an appetizer. I worry when I let my little Chi out. He isn't too much bigger than a rabbit.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #7407847

Hello all.. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.. No snow here, but we got 7 inches of rain between 23rd and 24th.. so was wet and muddy, roads under water..Irises once again flooded...Ive never had that spot where my garden is flood till this year...Land owner behind our property have built levies to hold water on thier place for duck hunter paradise, flooding out everyone on this side of the woods...Gotta figure out how to fight someone with that much money now...

Cute dog Mekos...I see someone so kindly came by and dropped me off a new addition to our dog clan some time during the night...My dog is loving it lol..Jumping and playing, I bet that poor dog wishes it had found a different home..My dog doesnt know when to quit!!!! Over grown hyper pup..

Welcome to newbies I havent had the chance to meet yet...Sorry I havent been here much before today DH has been off work and requires more attention than a 2 year old.. Thank goodness there cranking the mill back up today in Crossett where he works, but the one just up the road there closing permanently so there will be lots of families left without jobs...When you go to the store to buy paper products think "Angel Soft Tissue and Sparkle Paper Towels"...thats what keeps my family fed...

I have to go for a while I lost a dear friend to cancer yesterday.. she was 46 y/o with 2 sons one 14 and one 11(special needs kid) my heart goes out to him so much because he was such a Moma's boy..3 years ago she noticed a small growth in her navel...went downhill from there so keep her family in your prayers.. talk later
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7407856

Hi Hunnybunch, praying for your friends and hubbys job. So many lay offs and such around here too. So many places closing and it's hard to feed families. You take care and hope the rain goes down soon.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7407924

So sorry to hear of your friends passing. Will pray for the sons and you too.
Bless you all.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7407993

LEMON REFRIGERATOR COOKIES

1/2 CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE, SOFTENED
1/2 CUP SUGAR
1/2 CUP PACKED BROWN SUGAR
1 EGG
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
1 TEASPOON LEMON EXTRACT
1 3/4 CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1/4 TEASPOON SALT
1/2 CUP FINELY CHOPPED PECANS

iN A MIXING BOWL CREAM BUTTER AND SUGARS . BEAT IN THE EGG AND EXTRACTS. COMBINE FLOUR, BAKING SODA AND SALT, GRADUALLY ADD TO THE CREAMED MIXTURE. STIR IN PECANS. SHAPE INTO TWO 9 INCH ROLLS. WRAP EACH ROLL IN PLASTIC WRAP. REFRIGERATE FOR 2 HOURS OR UNTIL FIRM. UNWRAP AND CUT INTO 1/8 INCH SLICES. PLACE 1 INCH APART ON UNGREASED BAKING SHEET. BAKE AT 250* FOR 21 - 22 MINUTES OR UNTIL EDGES ARE GOLDEN BROWN. REMOVE TO WIRE RACKS TO COOL. YIELD ABOUT 8 DOZEN.

NOTES OVEN TEMPERATURE IS CORRECT.
I DON'T ADD PECANS TO MINE BECAUSE i DON'T LIKE NUTS IN
ANYTHING EXCEPT ICE CREAM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #7408002

OH Mindy those sound good! Gonna try some this weekend. Thanks.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #7408034

Hey you guys, I just harvested a bunch of begonia seeds if anyone wants some. Seeds came off this one but also have seeds from another one.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7408040

Here is the other one. They look a little rugged but they are in the greenhouse now and was around the pond where creetsters got at them.

Thumbnail by mekos

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7408067

Couldn't find the sugar cookie recipe I promised but here's the one I like to use.

SUGAR COOKIES

3 CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1 CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE, SOFTENED
1 CUP SUGAR
1 TEASPOON VANILLA
1 EGG
COLORED SUGAR OR DECORATIONS OF YOUR CHOICE

COMBINE FLOUR AND BAKING SODA, SET ASIDE
IN MIXING BOWL WITH ELECTRIC MIXER AT MEDIUM SPEED, COMBINE BUTTER, SUGAR AND VANILLA, UNTIL CREAMY ABOUT 5 MINUTES. BEAT IN EGG UNTIL LIGHT AND FLUFFY. GRADUALLY BLEND IN FLOUR MIXTURE. DIVIDE DOUGH IN HALF AND WRAP IN PLASTIC WRAP. CHILL 1 HOUR.

ON FLOURED SURFACE ROLL HALF OF DOUGH TO 1/8 INCH THICKNESS. WITH FLOURED COOKIE CUTTERS CUT OUT COOKIES. REPEAT WITH OTHER HALF OF DOUGH. RE-ROLL SCRAPS AS NECESSARY. PLACE ON UNGREASED BAKING SHEET. SPRINKLE WITH SUGAR OR OTHER DECORATIONS. BAKE AT 375* FOR 8 TO 10 MINUTES OR UNTIL LIGHT GOLDEN BROWN. REMOVE TO WIRE RACKS TO COOL. STORE IN AIR TIGHT CONTAINER. YIELD 4 1/2 DOZEN MORE OR LESS DEPENDING ON SIZE OF COOKIE CUTTERS.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7408075

Thank you Mekos. I'd like to try some of your seed please
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 30, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #7408085

Hi Huney
So sorry to hear about your friend's passing also. Prayers are sent for her family and to you also. So sad. That is just way way too young. Understand that lay off thing, as that is happening here also. Hubby works in the woods as a logger, and we never know when and if he will have a job. Only one sawmill left here now, as all the rest have closed. This one was closed last year for about 6 months, but then was bought out locally, so was reopened. We are still trying to catch up on things, after no income for 6 months. Hate to imagine how hard it would be for young families.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7408102

I know Skellogg, where my husband works they laid off half the place and fired all the salary employees and got new ones and the ones they kept on had their hours cut in half. My husband was one who got to stay but cut hours and for the past year it has been rough. He is still not back to 40 hours yet. and off for 3 weeks for Christmas, last year got 3 months off for Christmas. Wheww. We barely made it. They say it is picking up but my pocketbook can't tell it.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 30, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #7408109

Thanks Mindy! Woohoo!! Baking cookies tonight and tomorrow! Those sound so yummy, both of them! Love lemon, and good lemon cookies are hard to find. Can't wait to try them. Gotta finish my eggnog smoothie first, (had some egg nog left and some vanilla ice cream, so had to try making an egg nog shake, so to speak). Very good!! Now for a big bowl of chili with lots of shredded cheese on top and some homemade biscuits. No wonder we gain weight all winter! LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7408142

Skellogg, have you ever tried making french fries and cover in chilli and cover with cheddar cheese?Om man, make you slap your granny.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

December 30, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7408195

Yummm!! Mekos, I love that! Only I use colby cheese and pepper jack cheese, just cuz we like those better than cheddar. That will be lunch tomorrow! I'm sure we will have plenty of chili left. LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #7408282

Too many goodfoods for folks to be skinny. I am fluffy myself.
Mekos do you just toss them on the starting soil.
They must be tiny. i don't think I have grown them .
Coleus need light to germinate, so maybe begonias do too.
Thanks for the Cookie Recipes Mindy. Think I may try using Self-rising flour, leave out the
sat and soda.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #7408284

Now you got me wanting it too. I got to stick to flowers, I'm gaining weight.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7408294

Sorry RRM, you posted as I was typing. The begonia seeds - just toss on soil in pot and lightly cover and water and watch out. They are not small at all. I'll be glad to share if ya want some. With the new year stuff, it will be Monday before I go back to the post office probably but can mail some then. I'm out of stamps right now till then.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #7408318

Want me to send you some?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7408375

Oh no that's ok. I got to go to the post office for a book of stamps anyway. Got other stuff going out too. I'll send you some.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 30, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7408469

Did I hear toss and water? Those are my kind of seeds - can I have some too Mekos, please, please. I know they like shade, how about water? Cound they go on the east end of my house with the giant EE?

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #7408885

Thanks for all your prayers... The visitation went really well..Lots of people came out to show thier love and support for the family... The boys did really good...So many of thier friends came out to support them.. I thought that was really great! Now pray the rain holds off till after the funeral in the morning...

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #7408918

Miss candles you sure can. I'll tell you a funny story. Blondie was sending me some seeds for my pond and when they came she said it was for the pond and just toss them out and forget them. I (dumb me) thought she ment toss IN pond and it was some kind of water plant that floats on the water so I tossed them in the pond. Then I came in and d-mailed her to say, I tossed them in the pond and what was the name of it and she informed me they were not to go IN the pond just around it. They were geraniums. Well dumb me ran out to fish them out and the fish were eating them. I did manage to get a few back from the KOI and so I tossed into a pot and watered them and grew that one pictured above. SO don't toss IN a pond, toss into a pot or on the ground in shade and water. Then forget them. They are very easy to grow and just have to bring in for winter or break a piece off to root and plant it next year. They root easy in a jar of water.
I just looked and my Hawaiian Ti plants I just got Christmas eve day and put in water Christmas day have roots started already. Ye-Ha!!!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2009
7:14 AM

Post #7409025

Huney, praying for your friend's family. It is horrible something like this has to happen so close to the holidays and at such an early age. Praying for the job to hold too.

I posted on another forum about ways to work from home and actually make a paycheck every week. If anyone is interested I can post that information here too. I have been working at home for 4 years now to support me and my three girls...sometimes it was tough and I woke up hating my computer...but now I actually enjoy my writing and can pay the bills. I want to start raising cuttings again and see how that goes now. It was great the last time I did it.

Mekos, so is it geranium seeds you bring in for winter or begonias? I never tried overwintering either...and never tried growing them from seed either...do they grow fast? I had heard that geraniums grew really slow so never bothered collecting the seeds.

Oh and "Fluffy" is the only way to be! Everything fluffy is better! and if someone complains too loud I tell them what I always tell them...I'm just holding it for a friend!

have a good night, all

Julie

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7409560

These are Begonias ,Jar. I have 2 different ones and one grows in a pot -UP and one in a hanging basket and hangs. The seeds I have right now are for the one in pot growing up. Both are so easy to root in water and grow. They drop some leaves in winter but bounce right back as it warms up and goes right on. I just hate to toss out plants that are so pretty even if they are common here and easy to get and grow. I guess it's that thing in me that just tries to SAVE stuff. Send me a d-mail and I'll send you some to try when I send Mindy and RRM and enidcandles some Monday. Mine bloom pink and full of blooms all summer long. The one in the hanging pot is a darker pink.I'll try to find the actual names for these one day soon for you guys. I have it around somewhere.
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #7410722

Mekos,

I'd like some of the begonia seeds if you've got any left.

Thanks, Laura
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #7410751

OK lollyjean, I got you too and this is all I got seeds for right now, will have more later but man it is sleeting cats and dogs out here right now too. Sleet snow mix. The weather people said rain mix- boy did they get a wrong number. Will get these out maybe tomorrow but if not, Monday.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 30, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #7410753

Fluffy is GOOD!!
Feeling better today - been cleaning, seems that's all I do. With the baby here, things have to be much cleaner and more organized than I would really like. I vacuum every single day and there is still pet hair everywhere, with him crawling, I try to keep it under control but dadgum...I didn't plan my life to be tidy at this point. We have 4 cats and 2 dogs - all inside, crap oh, had I known I was gonna have a baby here full time, I woundn't have any animals in the house. Can't just toss the critters though, they have all been here quite awhile, they would never make it in a "normal" household!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 30, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7410776

Mekos, there is no hurry on mine if someone is "jonesing" for them.
What else do you have that I can plant with the EE and begonia? Remember, east end of the house - morning /early afternoon sun; always shady next to foundation. I would kinda like to have some color there, I will run out and take a pic so you know what I am talkin' about. gotta take the trash out anyway.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #7410799

It's ok girl, I got plenty to fill them all. Will have more later too so don't worry. I'm going to go make a list of some of my seeds that is not listed anywhere so will post them later tonight if I finish. Then you guys can look and google to see what they are.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7410906

Oh no - she's going through her seeds again - lol...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #7411021

I heard that Loca! Where is Lucy... Get her Lucy!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #7411150

hello all.. rainy and cold here... The weather man said possibly freezing rain heading this way...I sure hope not...

Ive been going thru my seeds trying to organize them, I swear when I get through I cant find a blasted thing...I need a good system, this shoe box of alphabetical baggies just isnt cutting it...I scramble it up every time I pick up the box...Yeah! Im just that good...

Im trying to get my things together to get my winter sowing done...If im not to lazy I'll get through with my containers tomorrow... I picked up some aluminum trays with plastic lids at walmart today marked down... hope I can use these to start a few seeds in also... Just have to figure out what seeds want to be started this time of year...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #7411436

Me too Hunny. I just listed on paper 80 packs of seeds from my fridge, and that was just from one bag. Will try to get them listed here later tonight or morning.
I think we have picked a name for Tinkerbell.
I got d-mails with names and some here on this thread also and like to thank everyone who sent a name in. And we decided on Mojoito. Congratulations Blondie!Sounds like-----
Mo-jo-e-to. We'll call her Mojo.
So Blondie d-mail me with the seeds you would like for her name. Thanks everybody.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 31, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7411500

Now why didn't I think of that?? Oh, cause I am not a good name picker, that's why!
Mojito is too cute and soooo appropriate!!
Ok mekos, here is my east end - now what? I have about 10 giant EE to plant there and the rest is baren.

Thumbnail by enidcandles

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7411505

OK and you said how much sun does it get?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7411518

You will probably want 3 rows of plants. The EE's in the back and something knee high or there abouts and some smaller stuff in the front.
How long is it-maybe 24 feet long?

YOU GOT SNOW!!! I SEE SNOW ON THE GROUND! SNOW!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7411546

OK where is all the lovely gardeners when a body needs one to design a flower bed? If Seray was here she could tell you exactly what would be pretty. Loca and RRM where are you? Arejay, show yourselves. I put Lucy up.
Now just off the top of my head and I'm just thinking here but what about EE's in the back and maybe a ginger between each EE for the back row. Then you will need something colorful in front about half as tall as those will be. Maybe Different colored Hollyhocks and snapdragons and maybe lupines of different colors, then colored petunias in the front mixed with daylilies-like put the daylilies in and plant the petunias around them to spread and fill in. How do you think that would look?
Where is everyone at? I'm lost here. I'm no designer. I can help get the seeds but I'm no designer.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7411582

What zone are you candles? Mekos - how tall do EEs get? The Hollyhocks get real tall, at least out here. Snapdragons and lupines would look cool if she can grow them there... My Dad in Maine has a bed with snaps and lupines plus Alliums and I can't remember what else...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7411604

EE's can get huge about 6-8 feet if given good soil and food. So I figured the hollyhocks would grow tall with colors and some color about knee high is needed like the moon bushes and snapdragons and lupines and such. Bachlor buttons would be good and zinnias maybe. I don't know. I just like color.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #7411619

That sounds very pretty and would maybe work for her... I like color too friend!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #7411737

I thought some of yous with all the green thumbs could help her landscape hers. Really, I have no sense of what is good, I have my stuff all mixed up and jam packed in there and running together and you guys all have landscaped gardens soooooooo pretty. I just have no sense of putting stuff together and she wants help so can you see what you could suggest and I'll help her get the seeds. Maybe even lantannas would be pretty. I have some blood red with a little yellow in them and some pink/yellow and lavender mixed and some white and some lavender and some yellow. But don't have seeds from them so would have to wait for growth and root some pieces. They are easy to root though. And grow fast and bloom soon.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 31, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #7411864

I am in zone 6. This area is morning sun, afternoon shade.
I want to cover up the ugly siding - it looks like it is two different colors - it is actually two different ages. We had a big storm and it took off part of the siding - I was too cheap to replace it all so..we need to cover it up!

Mekos, I will be your best friend forever if you get me Lantanas!! I love those and they do good in Oklahoma. You and I would be quite the combo - you have stuff crammed everywhere and I have wide open spaces! You would have a hernia with all this space. LOL

Oh, and snapdragons do good here too and I love them!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #7411922

Well, I started out saving seeds from the lantanas but forgot where I put them and just quit collecting them, so when the spring gets here and mine put back out all ya do is break a piece and stick it in dirt and wet it and it will sprout. That is one of the easiest things to root. I have several different colors of them too so you can have all you want. I got seeds of snapdragons mixed colors too and just lots of stuff. LOTS of hollyhocks all colors. Single blooms and doubles. I got the seed list about ready to list and I want everyone to pick a pack of seeds they like to go with their Christmas present me and Blondie are getting ready for them. They should be ready soon. Maybe a couple weeks.
Any way we'll get you landscaped soon. Seray has a great sense of taste with landscaping and she would know too what goes with what to be pretty so hang on and let everyone have time to look and help out. Arejay can put plants and colors together pretty too. RRM has gone to bed, she turns in early so give it a few days for the right combo to get together.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009

Post #7412045

hi all.. I like lantana because its so carefree...Comes up does its own thing and I never have to touch it all summer...Cant get any easier than that..Im not good at making beds or color combinations either... I plant it and If I dont like it there I move it...My DH likes the garden all preplanned and color coordinated... I just like to see flowers in bloom...I always start out saying im going to try and color coordinate and keep it simple and in line... I always end up going wild and planting things everywhere..
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #7412056

I'm with you, huneybunch. I just plant. I don't care what color it is. I just want color lots of color all over the place.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #7412112

If I could have my way with the mail man he would bring me a big ole box full of these...

http://www.ensata.com/HTML/PlantPages/japanese_ac.htm

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #7412122

Well now wouldn't we all????????? You plant those and I'll come hijack your garden too. Then MY garden would look like that.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #7412127

wow I'd love to have shopping spree there...Thats a wish book for sure..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #7412142

They are almost always sold out when I have looked. Except for the most expensive ones.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #7412162

shame no one wants to share them...I'd be so glad to take a few off thier hands when its time to thin them out...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #7412171

Oh cute name for the dog to btw...Should have been the first name we all thought of..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
5:13 AM

Post #7412174

You know I thought that too and them people with them thought I was crazy. I don't know why. I got a little offended, I did.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #7412176

Ya I figured she could help Charlie cheer us on at our meetings.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 31, 2009
5:20 AM

Post #7412190

I am in no big hurry - I have until April 15. Never again will I plant before then - I have learned my lesson over and over and over - no planting before Uncle Sam gets his.

The EE I have were at my mom's. The first year she had them, they were probably 8 feet tall. This year, they were much smaller - I don't know what happened. She said she wasn't going to dig them up and mess with them next year so I dug them and brought them home. Hope they grow good here -I gotta cover up they ugly house somehow.

When we finish with the plan for the east end, do you wanna go on around to the north side? I am tellin' ya, I got lots of space - you haven't even seen half of it yet. The whole west end of the yard is pretty much full sun and bare! I got lots of work to do, and no imagination!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 31, 2009
5:23 AM

Post #7412200

Hey Mekos, there is someone on the seed trading forum with some awesome looking lupines. I don't have anything to trade for them - but I bet you do!! Wish I knew how to put a big smiley face on here -if I smile and bat my eyes can I have some, please please please????
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #7412214

Hey girl, I got imagination but no skill at scaping. You should have seen all my stuff crammed all together in my flower beds. Pretty but no where to step. Some covering others and so crouded that some got totally covered up and lost. But it was pretty. I got grey ghost caladium in there with a couple lantanas and petunias and a few other things.

Thumbnail by mekos

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #7412215

I noticed how they acted...rather shameful..we would have shared with them had they come over here looking for something we had...Someone will help us out one of these days...Its for the plants on good to be thinned lol that must mean it needs to be shared..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #7412221

See what they want for some, if I got something I'll give it to you to trade for them. Go for it. Actually I saw them earlier. But didn't notice what they wanted for them.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #7412230

Hey I'm with you hunny. My thoughts exactly but you'd think they wuz expensive or something by the way they act. Or maybe rare. By giving us some, they wouldn't half as rare.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 31, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #7412266

Mekos, I will send her a dmail and see if we can work something out, I will let you know Thank you!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
5:44 AM

Post #7412281

I just went over and asked if I had anything she wanted for some. I haven't heard back yet. Will let you know if I do and if she wants something just let me know and if I got it you can have it.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #7412311

those were some beautiful flowers... I notice that my wave petunias are still green every thing else has been killed by the frost...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #7412326

I took my petunias in to the greenhouse and they are in full bloom. But the ones planted in ground just reseed themselves and come back from the yard. I get more colors every year.
I think there is one red bloom down there blooming. The others are blue.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
6:05 AM

Post #7412341

I think I'm going off to bed. Talk to yas tomorrow.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
6:06 AM

Post #7412345

I took these out of the pts at the end of the year and put them in the ground so they could get some fresh dirt and few nutrients... I figured they would have died with the frost, may plant more around borders if they survive some of the cold weather.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
6:09 AM

Post #7412358

Night I think Im off to bed too.. About time for the kids to holler im hungry again gonna run while I still have the chance lol
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
6:17 AM

Post #7412387

Endi you can go here register once for free and look at there plans for different beds and lots of other gardening ideas...

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/by-style/garden-plans-for-cottage-style/
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #7412678

Good Morning Everyone,
Happy New Year!! Endi, I have some Japanese Irises I can send you when spring comes Purple there are pictures somewhere on one of the newbie threads. Did you decide what you are going to plant on the East side? Let me know if I can help. I cant be much help with the designing as I like Jan plant as I go and sometimes more than I should , I get teased often about the way I move things around...One plant may live in six places in my gardens before it finds it true home...But if I have something you would like dmail me...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7412796

Good morning everyone. Can't help with the designing Candles. My method is plant in my let's see if I like it first and if I do note what else blooms at the same time then next time put them together.
I need prayers for my nephew Jonathon. He had a dizzy spell driving home and wrecked his truck 15 minutes from home. Head is bruised from hairline to nose, one arm is broken brom elbow to wrist, one leg is a mess and he can still lose it, lots of cuts and bruises all over. He had one blood clot during surgery and his bp is still way too high.
Robin a new thread would be nice when you have the time.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7412875

Prayer for your Nephew, Mindy. Hope he gets well soon.
Spring is on the way, Candles, we will help.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7413231

Oh Mindy am so sorry to hear that. Hope he gets better soon. Prayers for him and the family going his way and yours.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 31, 2009

Post #7413246

My goodness Mindy - how awful! I will pray for him too! While we are in praying mode, you might kick in a word or two for my sister. She is pill popping alcoholic - she slit both wrists and the bend in both arms night before last. Mom found her last evening - the bleeding had stopped already - all she managed to do was make a whopping big mess! They took her to Ft. Supply last night - that is the state funded nut house - hope they can help her. She has been there before so not holding out much hope.

Anyway, I think with the east end of the house I am leaning toward giant EE - which I need to round up some more of, lupines, hollyhocks, snapdragons and something smaller for the very front. I don't know what yet though - it would be nice to come up with something DH can mow close to and not actually kill - we hate weedeating - it just doesn't get done! I have purple verbena, maybe I will move some of that over there, he could mow the tips off of that and do no harm. I can't wait, it is gonna be so pretty - and even more special with help from my friends.

I made the mistake of going to Lowes after getting sister to hospital last night. Oops, they had plants on clearance! I got two different ones marked rex begonia but they don't look the same, some christmas cacuts and two more I don't know what they are - viney looking things.

Duh, I will take a pic and show you my haul.

The Christmas cacuts was on sale for 75 cents - they have several more if anyone wants one, I could run back and fetch it. I think last night they had 10 left.
Let me know right away - I am gonna hop through the shower and head in after bit.

Thumbnail by enidcandles

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7413294

Very pretty, Lori. Love the Begonia. One is Ivy but mekos can help or some ofthe other girls; with the rest.
I got Seed in mail for you. Lupine, Columbine and Four O'clocks. I know some of the girls will get you some Hollyhock,
You will have a pretty garden. YET!!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #7413388

OOooowwwwww, beautiful Rex begonias! I love that darker red/dark center at the bottom of the pile. Way too cool. You can root the leaf of those. Cut the stem at the bottom where it grows to the plant and stick in root hormone and push into potting soil and water and wait. Keep it warm and should root in a few weeks and start another plant kinda like growing african violets. You might want to put it in a plastic bag to hold moisture and warmth in while rooting though. BUT the point is you can root them and make more if you want them.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 31, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7413402

Um, Mekos, with such specific instructions on rooting the begonia, is that a hint? I can start one for you if you would like. You will have to walk me through the process but I would do ANYTHING for you!

RRM - what about you? I am willing to hack up my new plants and see what happens if you are interested - they were CHEAP so if I kill them, it is not a great loss.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7413461

New thread everyone... I'm not even on dial up and this one's sloooooooooowwwwww...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065933/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7413660

Heck fire, Yes. I would love for you to root me a leaf or send me one. Whatever you want to do. I think they are beautiful.
I saw those Japanese Iris, We got to go bummimg over to the iris forum I guess. Poor us, we don't have any Japanese Iris and I know Charley Needs one ☺ doesn't he girls??? I know His girl friends need one, all of his girls.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #7413724

Them Iris people actually get right honery if you ask them about a trade. They don't sink to our levels. You'd think they paid a fortune for them or something.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7414207

I know, I wasn't going to be too brave. They walk on Claws!!!!!
We have Hooves. But we can sure kick up some heels...hehehehe
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
12:25 AM

Post #7414606

Hold on new thread on the way!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7414646

Hmm wonder if it works??? New Thread...New Thread...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1066006/
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7417214

happy new Year!!!!

Thanks Arejay and everyone who sent seeds for my Victorian project!!! I reieved so many that rankly, i dont know where i am gonna store all the little pots when i get them sprouting.

Hope everyone has a safe, healthy and prosperous new year!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
11:32 PM

Post #7417815

HI Cue store them at the site they are going to go in GRIN might as well get them used to the place from the start.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7419004

well, I would, but the site is quite a ways away from me and i cant justify the gas on daily trips out there...LOL...

I will have to clear a spot somewhere in the living room for them.

Do you thik its to early to star them now? there are so many, i would hate to put it off until the last minute... the more I can accomplish now, the better really.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7419142

Oh arejay and cue it is so good to see you both on here a little more now. Hope everyone has a geat year ahead of them. I am afraid I am going to lose all plants in the GH as our wind chill has been below zero and going to stay that way for awhile yet. Just can't get enough heat to take the chill factor out of there for them. Oh well if I do I do. Can't say I haven't tried.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7419408

Good morning everyone.
Cue it will depend on when you can plant them outside when you should start them. If they can go out by the time they get big enough you can start them now. Some people in your zone are starting to do their winter sowing.

Flower I'm in the same boat with my plants in the plant room. DH tried to get the heater yesterday and wouldn't you know the store was closed for NY's? He's went again this morning so hopefully he will be able to get it this time. I haven't went in there for 2 days don't want to let what little heat is in there out. I have the plants in a 4 shelf greenhouse with a light and zipped closed to help keep it warmer around them.

This morning's news on my nephew is promising. He still has a long way to go to total recovery but they think now he will keep his leg. Drs and paramedic said only thing kept him from being killed is his size and being thrown sideways toward the passenger side. His mom reports he's looking better. He will be having alot of company over the weekend and part of next week as family and friends get the time to go see him. He will be going into a rehab place for thearpy after he gets out of the hospital because his mom and step dad can't lift him due to their own health problems. When he's able to help with moving he can go home. They've already started therapy to keep his shoulder from locking up and his muscle loose. Thank you everyone for the prayers
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7420281

So glad he is better Mindy.
Cue, I would get started now so plants will be large enough to plant and start growing outside in spring. I already have lots of my babies growing for spring and remember some take a long time germinating.
Flower, you may have to do like me with the greenhouse. I put and old oil lamp full of oil in mine with the light bulbs so if the heat goes off during these cold nights and I'm asleep it won't freeze. You don't have to have stuff warm enought to grow, just warm enough so they don't freeze. Everything needs to go dormant to catch back up on nutrients it lost during growing and blooming seasons. The cold does that for them but don't allow a freeze by keeping SOME heat in there. The light bulbs will help but if power goes off, they freeze unless there is another solution and until I get my heater too, I'm useing the oil lamp. It burns all night and just adds a little more heat not enough to cook anything but enought to help IF the lights went out.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7420608

Thanks for the info.. will start gathering containers to get this all started then. got lots to do before spring hits...lol

I have a brug blooming and then last night we had frost.. lost all the vinca and a few other plants... a few leaves on brugs have damage... this is a wacky year for weather here in Central FL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #7420674

I have two milk jugs and a bunch of 2 litr btl. Let me know when it is time.
Mekos, I got an envelope in mail today. Oodles of hugs your way.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America