Photo by Melody

Article: The Norfolk Island Pine - a living Christmas tree: Dead trees

Communities > Forums > Article: The Norfolk Island Pine - a living Christmas tree
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Norfolk Island Pine - a living Christmas treeReplies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
picealuver
East Wenatchee, WA

December 14, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #7367644

Unfortunately many of the trees showing up in the big box stores about now are dead on arrival--it just takes time for the foliage to show--more than long enough for the store to move it out the door. If you want success, avoid the temptations to buy one just before Christmas--no matter how much they've been marked down--a real indication you should just walk on by.
digger114
Columbiana, AL

December 14, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7367718

Great info! This will be my second year attempting to keep my pines alive throughout the year. Last years tree is still living but is down to 1 trunk and definatley looks like Charlie Browns tree! I did purchase 2 more this year about 3 ft tall and they are beautiful - thinking about keeping these on the covered porch this year to see if I'll have more luck. It has definately been a challange for me since moving to Alabama to learn what will grown and what won't - thankfully I've discovered Dave's Garden.
Gardeningnurse
North Manchester, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7374013

My husband did pick up one last year AFTER Christmas for less than a dollar. I kept it til summer (zone 5) putting it out on the deck. It too looked like a Charlie Brown tree with about 7 trunks. I trimmed off all of the dead and by summer's end, brought in a healthy looking specimen with 5 trunks. It is still going well and I trimmed out 2 more trunks. I've had these before and usually loose them in the winter I believe due to low humidity. After reading this article I am just going to try harder to keep it misted and watered! Thanks for a really great article!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Norfolk Island Pine - a living Christmas tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great information! rcn48 8 Dec 14, 2009 9:36 AM
Cuttings? MitchF 1 Dec 19, 2007 9:50 PM
A new Christmas Tree for Cayman Brac BRACBONNIE 0 Jun 5, 2009 1:55 PM
Wonderful, soive2000 1 Dec 14, 2009 10:22 PM
Norfolk pines macktyner 1 Dec 14, 2009 7:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America