Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: forget the iguanas, is there a way to repel centipedes?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 15, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #7370776

I live in the woods, and keep everything cleared away from close to the house. BUT I just found a big centipede, about five inches, crawling along toward my door. Do they dislike mint? eucalyptus?

It's hopeless to try to kill them, they sure outnumber me. No, my place isn't crawling with them, but so far two in a year. Two is toooo many! How to make my doorways( I have open doors while I am at home) uninviting to centipedes.

I cannot live in a closed up house. Guess I'm a reincarnated critter!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 15, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #7371405

i understand perfectly what you mean, Molamola. i have the same problem, only we get them more often. Eeww, they are such disgusting things!!!
i also would really like to know how i can repel them.
isaac
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7371433

Here is an excellent site on controlling them:

http://www.pestwall.com/pestwall-articles/centipede-weed-control.htm
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 15, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7371460

I don't finn them disgusting. I'm very afraid of them, knowing how painful their bite is. They always run away frantically when uncovered.

Thanks for the link, Kay, I'll go check it out right now.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 15, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #7371488

Hum nothing about centipede grass helping with repelling centipedes. ewww, I don't even like to say the name! lol
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

December 16, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #7372997

I hate to tell you this but a 5 inch centipede is a midget around here. In the description of this variety they say it does not get over 6 inches. That's Bull Cockie!!!!! They get to 8 inches.

Scientific name: Scolopendra subspinipes

Classification: Phylum: Arthropoda. Class: Arachnida. Order: Chelipoda.

Origin: Introduced

Distribution:Midway Atoll, O`ahu, Lana`i, Maui, Kaho`olawe, Big Island, Kauai

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #7373140

I hate those beasts! I find them in the garden all the time especially among the rocks in the edging walls, I never turn over any rock without extreme caution. I rarely find them in the house though. You are right d_thomcat, 8 or 9 inches is not a rarity. Their bite is very painful and is rather like a scorpions - if you get bitten I think you are suposed to take Benedryl (SP?) right away. If you cut them in half with clippers both ends seem to run straight toward you - yuck!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2009
7:59 AM

Post #7373384

Well, I was trying to not exaggerate. The biggest one here was 13 inches, but most of the big ones are nine or ten inches. That big one was on a lady's pillow when she woke up her first morning in the Caribbean. Looking here in the eye. I think maybe she didn't really see him until she peeled herself off the ceiling!

I think they made their way to the caribbean from the Amazon. Different colors, too. Some have red legs, and I've seen them completely black

They sure are quick.
happyisland
Mon Plaisir
Aruba

December 16, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #7373522

It's their quickness that freaks me out. I swear, they run almost as fast as a lizard.

My friend's maid is from Grenada, and she hates them so much that she once burned down their pool deck and half of their back yard by squirting one with lighter fluid and setting it alight. I'm not sure how to keep them out of your house, but this is probably NOT the preferred method!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 16, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7373689

I know people who kill them the same way, but at least their place wasn't burned down!! i will tell them to be careful.
the ones we get here are usually black, and about 8 or 9 inches. my mom freaks completely out when she sees them, and its so ironic, but they always show up in her bedroom.
i feel so sorry for that poor lady who woke up with one so large on her pillow!! i would rather not say what my reaction would be if i woke up to that...
isaac
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7373761

Oh gosh - 13 inches and on your pillow - that's horrific! I must remember never to try to set one on fire with lighter fluid and a match LOL!

I don't see them during the day unless I uncover them, it seems to me they are mainly night creatures here...I often have to have my pest lady over to get rid of the termites that seem hell bent on eating my wood house inch by inch, and when she comes she also puts granules of some sort around the outside of the house. Usually we find a couple of dead centipedes a day or so after she has treated the area so I know there are not only in the bottom of the garden. I don't in general agree with pesticides, but in the case of termites and centipedes I am all for them! I don't know of any other creature that hunts at night that can control them - perhaps cane toads, but that's another beast you don't want to have.

Whoops! Can't spell today!

This message was edited Dec 17, 2009 2:33 PM
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #7374242

There are cane toads here, but not many. Dry season is tough on them, and all the dogs.

I think I'll just have some centipede houses, a piece of cardboard under a piece of board, and then I'll know where they are. Nuts, I know. And a handle attached to the top of the board.

There are just too many to fight, other than to manage them, I guess. The exterminators here are crazy, I've gotten permanent nerve damage from living in rentals that were sprayed monthly. I even saw one guy spraying my pots of lettuce!!!!!!!!!! Bug spray is watered down neurotoxins left over from WWII, I've read. I hurt from head to toe sometimes, and sometimes my hands jiggle like a ninety-year-old, boooo. I hate bugspray!

Sugar, I pour sugar on termite places, and the ants come and kill the termites.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #7374359

I had a 10incher fall on my head in the night... from?

I put a thin line of Boric Acid around all the baseboards and doorsills...they get thru the most amazing cracks!!! The cats love them and somehow kill them with no harm to themselves!!!!

A chocolate with the vanilla!!!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7374443

I bet you did a cute dance!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 16, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7374462

Hahaha, maybe we all need to get cats...
and yes, centipedes are night creatures. i do tend to agree with you Jen about the insecticides.
isaac
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 17, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7375847

My skin crawled for DAYS!!!!

More recently a cockroach fried the motherboard in my computer!!! Thank GODESS we don't have snakes!!!
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 17, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #7375921

That's interesting about the cats. We have a 17yo cat who suddenly has ulcers all over his mouth and tongue. He is in the vets now on prednisone trying to get rid of them. I noticed it Sunday because he stared at his food and clearly wanted it but wouldn't eat. They have no idea how this started, it could be something he ate or something that stung him, they even mentioned a cat who had the same symptoms from chewing an electric wire. All I could think of that could have bitten him would be a centipede. We have them too but the ones I've seen are only about 3 or 4 inches long with red pinchers.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 17, 2009
6:09 AM

Post #7376193

I hope your cat gets better soon!
My parents woke up to a cockroach running on their faces one morning, not a pleasant experience.
We do have snakes here, but if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. the only thing that bothers me is the spotted bush snake (completely harmless) that has a bad habit of falling out of trees, and our yard is full of trees. one fell right behind me once, gave me a huge fright!
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

December 17, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7377347

We get a number of colors of centipede here. The reds are the most common. But i have also seen black, red or brown with a yellow head and red with electric blue stripes on the legs . The one everyone is most afraid of is the blue. I have also seen blue with yellow legs. I am not sure if it is different color phases of the same species or different species.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America