Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Charlie Brown Seed Tree: Got a Tree Big Enough?

Communities > Forums > Article: The Charlie Brown Seed Tree
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Charlie Brown Seed TreeReplies: 5, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

December 15, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7371368

Dear Sharon, what a great idea and would make a fantastic gift for people as well.
However this clever idea might not work with Sarah's obsessive seed gathering from her cottage garden. For when I look for an envelope they are missing, so upon going most gingerly to ask if she has seen any, all I get is, I used them to collect some seeds. So as I open one of the drawers there are mountains of envelopes full of seeds, these are not labeled as to what they are at all, although occasionally you come across one with "RED," or "YELLOW," printed on it. I suppose that narrows it down a bit, not much though. Experience has taught me not ask, for if you do, you get some statement that makes the obscure seed even more obscure.
They are in my shed as well for even my sacred place she invades with her envelopes full of unknown things. How many times have I asked her not to collect foxglove seeds as they grow everywhere around here, and are quite capable of seeding so much by themselves that I get annoyed pulling them out! It does not stop her though, have envelope, collect seeds!
So the only way I think this idea could work is to get a big tree, hang all the envelopes on it and then it is "Pot Luck," for anyone brave enough to pick one! If you were lucky you might get one with a colour on it.
Yes I can tell a lot of the seeds apart, but I do not know where she has collected them from, that is the annoying bit, and it is pointless asking her as she may point to a vague bit of the border. Then again she might not if she cannot remember at all.
Regards from a freezing cold London minus 4 at the moment and snow tomorrow they say.
Neil.
p.s. Sarah's first lupin, I did ask her if she had got any seeds of it, but she says they are in an envelope somewhere!

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #7372438

Well actually, Neil, I thought every body did this.
When I started making my little seed tree, I searched for my seeds, in this drawer and that, in this cabinet and that, in the fridge, in the freezer...little frozen envelopes! Yes...I thought we all did this!!
Cool lupine. Good for Sarah!
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

December 16, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7375207

Dear Sharon, our little Electric Christmas tree!
Now 10 years old it lives in the "Bubby hutch,' so I got it out and it still works, much to my surprise.
it is Sarah's cat proof, as it has no dangled bits, and if they bite it they are in for a shock!
So a Happy Christmas and our finest for the New year.
From a snowy and very cold London.
Regards and our most Kindest Best Wishes.
Neil & Sarah.
p.s Sarah is looking for a pair of her socks, i needed some to put hay in to stuff my Tree Ferns with, so I think it was worth the sacrifice!.
I don't know if she will agree in the spring though.
Although we were delighted to get a Christmas card from a DG member in America, what a lovely surprise.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7375369

How pretty, Neil! Great to see your little tree.
What else will you be doing to celebrate Christmas?
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

December 17, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7375609

Our Dearest, kindness Sharon, we have few things to do to say the least. The Royal British Legion and the Burma Star are having their x-mas party on Saturday luchtime so we are cooking, as a matter of fact I have been doing things for it non stop, so has Sarah!
Luckily it is not as big as there VE/VJ party where we cooked for 150 people plus, still busy enough for us.
We are having the four veterans around on Christmas Day for Dinner and supper, which is the least we can do.
My mother is well and in a good mood as they changed my fathers Doctor; the new Doctor claimed my father does not need all these mass of pills he had to have, or so he was told, so the Doctor stopped them, he is now like a sports car and we have never seen him so well, in ages.
Mother is having a New Years Day dinner, and the veterans and us our going as well, which will give us a break from cooking.
Alfie is coming around on Christmas day as he wishes no doubt to get his Jeep, but has promised to serve the veterans, nothing hot of course!
He also wishes to stay here as he does not want to get involved with "girlie things," his sisters will get.
So although a lot of work, I am hoping that everyone will enjoy themselves and as Churchill said the veterans will have their "Finest Hour."
Here is a picture from our club on the Ve\VJ day party, the hats went down well, although they were plastic, and this is only one side of the club and not the other bars.
We do hope you have a wonderful and warm Christmas and indeed New Year.
Our most Kindest Regards from the whole family and I have bought the cats a Christmas present!
Neil & Sarah!
p.s Wish us luck.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #7375709

What a wonderful time all seem to be having. You do such nice things for people, Neil. It's very good to know you and Sarah.

With your culinary experience, I have no doubt this will prove to be a memorable occasion. You'll have to let us know your menu.

Good news about your father. Sometimes medicines combined can do more harm than good. I hope he has the happiest of holidays...your mother, you and Sarah, too.

And your cats!!
I already know Alfie will enjoy his holiday. Even I would love playing with that little vehicle.
Happy Christmas, Neil.

And much luck!!
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Charlie Brown Seed Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clever idea Hemophobic 12 Dec 19, 2009 5:17 PM
Thanks for the reminder . . . Adaylilyfan 1 Dec 15, 2009 3:13 PM
Creative Ideas 3pmp 1 Dec 21, 2009 6:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America