Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges': Blackbird "All Bracts"

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'Replies: 3, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eclayne
East Longmeadow, MA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #7371717

Inspiring article for an Euphorbia newbie!! I've just finished laying out homes for several that should thrive here in 6a. My lone Euphorbia, Blackbird, an early spring purchase was all bracts (a Novalis plant). By early fall she reached nearly 18" tall and wide. Still all bracts. There are now several "normal leaved stems poking up. My questions: 1. When should I prune the bracts? 2. Why the all bract growth?
Thanks for any insights. Evan

Thumbnail by eclayne
Click the image for an enlarged view.

eclayne
East Longmeadow, MA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #7371772

P.S. I just noticed that it was you who wrote another article, "Hot New Heucheras will Sizzle in your Garden!". My biggest garden project THIS year. INSPIRING! INSPIRING! INSPIRING!
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
10:38 AM

Post #7373453

Funny, you referring to your Blackbird as "she" - my daughter always asks me why I refer to plants as "he"? LOL You can cut away those bracts any time now, looks like you've got plenty of fresh foliage for a great start for next year! I usually cut the bracts away sometime in late June/early July here and although the plants look a little pathetic they rebound within a few weeks with fresh growth and quickly regain their height before winter. Just be careful of the milky white sap when you cut the bracts. If you happen to get any on your hands, wash them immediately and make sure you don't rub your eyes! DH had that unpleasant experience once and his eyes were burning for three days :(

FYI, 'Helena's Blush' had always been my favorite Euphorbia in the gardens but after last winter's severe temperatures for this area 'Shorty' came through with flying colors when others suffered (picture below taken this fall with 'Rudolph', 'Glacier Blue' and 'Bonfire'). This year I'm trying a new one that's similar to 'Helena's Blush' - 'Ascot Rainbow'! http://www.planthaven.com/euphasco.html

Thumbnail by rcn48
Click the image for an enlarged view.

eclayne
East Longmeadow, MA
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #7393836

Debra,
Thanks for the info. Will follow your instructions. Have a Merry Xmas!
Evan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges' Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very well presented article pirl 7 Jan 26, 2008 2:11 AM
Lovely Shrubs debnes_dfw_tx 3 Jan 28, 2008 5:52 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! darius 7 Jan 26, 2008 8:12 PM
Oh mercy.... Chantell 2 Jan 26, 2008 1:51 AM
Talisman Tiger? bearroadie2 6 Apr 20, 2010 10:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America