Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: Fudge, cookies, etc. for the Holidays how far in advance...

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 4, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7371785

For those who make cookies and fudge every year for the Holidays, how far in advance do you make them? How do you store it? fridge? freezer? How long can they be stored and still be good? I want to make a variety of cookies, rugelach, and fudge for Christmas. I usually just do cookies and at the last minute, but I'm looking for ways to do things in a less stressful manner this year. I have time this week, but I'm not sure if it's too soon. Then again I'm always hearing people talk about making their cookies way in advance and I always wondered how this is done.

Thanks!

Jen
rayleigh
Lineville, IA

December 15, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #7371913

I do a bake sale in Nov. and I make my things staring in Oct. I freeze my candy after I cut it in to pieces and make ref cookies that you can freeze and then slice and bake or for drop cookies freeze the doughg. I usually bake my cookies about the week before my sale and freeze them in packages to sell.

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #7374622

Thanks for the reply. Can you be a little more specific? I'm interested in details as to how this is done. How do you wrap it up so it doesn't get freezer burn, etc. I don't freeze many things. Just the occasional meat sealed with a foodsaver and of course ice cream. Any advice is appreciated.

Anyone else have a way you do it?

Thanks in advance.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #7374638

I will freeze cookie dough, usually in log form... or baked cookies just in tupperware, ziploc bags or the sort. I know i've done well over a month in advance... never any freezer burn on the cookies.

I know in the past, i've had baked cookies in my freezer for a few months [ outta sight, outta mind ] and never any burn on them.

For the holiday, we usually bake the first week of Dec, or when ever it's so cold there is nothing else to do... so up to 4 weeks in advance.
rayleigh
Lineville, IA

December 16, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #7374898

My ref cookies I slice and bakeI wrap in foil. For the cookie doughI just put it in plastic containers

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America