Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Christmas Trees: Which One is Right for Your Family?: Artificial Christmas Tree

Communities > Forums > Article: Christmas Trees: Which One is Right for Your Family?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Christmas Trees: Which One is Right for Your Family?Replies: 6, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #7371998

Good article.

We've had the same artificial Christmas tree for about twenty years which is at least the R of re-use. Must say I don't like killing a tree for Christmas, as many folk do. Dead trees lying on the snow banks, awaiting recycling pick-up, are the after-Christmas norm here.

As to global warming and current knowledge in environmental chemistry, I've not eaten red meat or veal over the same approximately 20 year period. That includes not eating methane-emitting ruminant farm animals. Eating lower on the food chain (e.g. vegetarianism) is obviously also in tune with reducing energy consumption.

Use of one artificial Christmas tree over consumption of parts of presumably hundreds of animal carcasses: I think that's environmentally OK.

klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #8257314

I'm going to have to switch to an artificial tree next year. My allergies are just getting too bad. Not sure I'm going to make it through the next two weeks with the one we have, but told DH that we can't take it down unless I have an asthma attack... too traumatic for the DD! But, that said, I will make the switch next year. Any recommendations for a good tree?
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #8257702

I'll stick with the old fashioned real tree, either cut or not. We have several old Xmas trees planted on our property, which always bring back good memories. Most of all, I look forward to the fresh evergreen smell.
Bellababy
Bend, OR

December 13, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8258735

We purchased a live blue spruce from a nursery yesterday. Beautiful tree with a perfect shape. I gave my daughter my fake tree three years ago after she moved out and I married. She still uses it, and it's a beautiful tree. However, my husband doesn't want fake of any kind, so yesterday we purchased the live one that we will plant in the corner of our yard in the Spring. I didn't know until I read your article that fake trees are not recyclable. I recycle all I can, so I appreciate your article.
prickersnall
Madison, WI

December 14, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #8259278

Thank you, Sunny borders...I'm with you on that. I've had my artificial tree for years also...since the mid 1980's, I think. And I don't like killing a tree that took years to reach it's beauty...nor the butchering of critters. Live trees are great, but a yard can only take so many.

Perhaps if we knew what plastics are used on artificial trees, we could deconstruct them and separate the constituants; maybe what we need is a recycle symbol on atificial trees. Aren't they often constructed on the principle of a twist, and could be untwisted ? If it is a matter of popped-together cast plastic pieces, that's easily deconstructed also. So we should look for...if that is what we want to buy, trees that have recycle symbols on them; there's no reason we couldn't demand that they be recycleable; the market would respond if we did, don't you think ?
sherrymarie
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8312582

I have used an artificial tree for 35 years. The first one I bought the first year we were married (1974). It was 2 feet tall and all we used until we had children. Then that tree went into my first daughter's bedroom every Christmas. When she left home she took it and still uses it as her only tree. The second tree we bought in 1981. We used it every year until my husband and I moved out of the country in 2007 and it didn't make sense to take with us. My second daughter took it and still uses it as her only tree. The third we bought in '07 and I expect it will be our last. I don't think I've harmed the environment at all. When I consider how many trees are just dumped after Christmas I feel sick. I think the bigger shame is all the cheap plastic garlands thrown away yearly.

One year recently I was at my mother's when she put her real tree up. The branches were not sturdy enough to hold the ornaments. Everything seemed to sit at the bottom. And the mess of the needles in her carpet was a nightmare. Give me artificial any day. Having said that, what kind?

I like them pre-lit. My first one wasn't and I did scratch my arms up getting the lights on it every year. I also prefer colored twinkling lights, and that's something to consider if you're going to invest in one. Do you want the color or do you prefer the white so you can change your color scheme? Check your ceiling height. Be sure to allow for a tree topper. We lived in a number of houses where we had to bend the top over and tie the angel to it. Of course with a fake one, you can do that, then stand it up full the next year again. And lastly, don't go overboard buying the thickest one you can see. You do want lots of branches to hang things from but you also need the holes so you can place your ornaments freely where they can spin and sway. Once the tree is decorated you never see the tree. All you see is the glow of the lights and the love of the season.
sherrymarie
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8312589

Sorry for the repost. I wanted to add a picture.

I have used an artificial tree for 35 years. The first one I bought the first year we were married (1974). It was 2 feet tall and all we used until we had children. Then that tree went into my first daughter's bedroom every Christmas. When she left home she took it and still uses it as her only tree. The second tree we bought in 1981. We used it every year until my husband and I moved out of the country in 2007 and it didn't make sense to take with us. My second daughter took it and still uses it as her only tree. The third we bought in '07 and I expect it will be our last. I don't think I've harmed the environment at all. When I consider how many trees are just dumped after Christmas I feel sick. I think the bigger shame is all the cheap plastic garlands thrown away yearly.

One year recently I was at my mother's when she put her real tree up. The branches were not sturdy enough to hold the ornaments. Everything seemed to sit at the bottom. And the mess of the needles in her carpet was a nightmare. Give me artificial any day. Having said that, what kind?

I like them pre-lit. My first one wasn't and I did scratch my arms up getting the lights on it every year. I also prefer colored twinkling lights, and that's something to consider if you're going to invest in one. Do you want the color or do you prefer the white so you can change your color scheme? Check your ceiling height. Be sure to allow for a tree topper. We lived in a number of houses where we had to bend the top over and tie the angel to it. Of course with a fake one, you can do that, then stand it up full the next year again. And lastly, don't go overboard buying the thickest one you can see. You do want lots of branches to hang things from but you also need the holes so you can place your ornaments freely where they can spin and sway. Once the tree is decorated you never see the tree. All you see is the glow of the lights and the love of the season.

Thumbnail by sherrymarie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Christmas Trees: Which One is Right for Your Family? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What- no threads yet? sallyg 1 Dec 26, 2008 5:39 PM
my Christmas Tree susan8mcnally 1 Jan 4, 2009 9:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America