Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: Setting Up Windows Email to Reply to Craigslist Ads

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 8, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #7375367

You're supposed to be able to click on the email link in a Craigslist ad to reply to the ad. The email will automatically contain the link to the ad you're replying to.

How can I set up my email account to do this? Because my "windows email" is not configured with my "pop" email account (yahoo), I can't reply to an ad on Craigslist just by clicking on the email address. Instead, I have to copy the email address, then open my yahoo email account, and compose a new email by pasting the email address in it. If I want the link to the ad in the email, I then have to go back to the ad, copy the web address and paste it into the yahoo email I'm composing. If I want the title of the ad in the subject line, I then have to copy and paste it. If I could just reply to the Craigslist ad, all these steps would automatically be done for me.

When I do all this, naturally the email comes from my yahoo account, not Craigslist's account, so I'm fearing a lot of my replies are being filtered out as spam naturally since it's a yahoo account.

I don't want to have all my yahoo emails downloaded into Outlook Express or something. I just want to easily reply to the CL ads. What do I need to do to make it happen?

I use Yahoo email and Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 7.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

NancyAnn

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #7375698

I think I understand what you are referring to.

I use Thunderbird, which is the mozilla equivalent to Outlook.

I have it set NOT to download my mail into the program... and I have many 'accounts' set up to send mail, but not receive.

I have various email accounts [hotmail, comcast, and yahoo] all used for different things, so i send from different account... all thru Thunderbird.

I've never used Craigslist -- so i can't really help you there.

I also believe Microsoft has "gone away from" Outlook, and now use "Live Mail" ?? if i'm not mistaken.

you should be able to set up accounts in there for your outgoing mail.

Hopefully someone who uses it will be able to assist... or try a search on setting up an account in whatever MS program you have.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #7375703

See if this helps you at all
http://www.apluskb.com/scripts/How_do_I_configure_Windows_answer3578.html
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #7377655

Even if you set up the Windows email to work when you click on the email link, it's still going to be using your Yahoo email address so you'll save yourself a step or two but it won't fix the issue of the messages coming from a Yahoo account and getting dumped as spam. There are other free sites to set up email accounts (Gmail, Hotmail, etc) so you could try making an account with one of them and see if you have better success (although that's probably going to be an issue with any of the free email domains). If you've got an email address with your internet provider's domain name that may be your best bet.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #7378029

I'm pretty sure that Firefox 3 (and later) has that ability.

Tools --> Options --> Applications

Scroll down to "mailto" and click whatever is listed in the "Action" column.

A dropdown arrow should appear for that cell.

Select: "Use Yahoo! Mail"

Click: OK

HTH,
Eggs
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #7378184

TCS1366, that's the info I need. But if I do all that in that link you gave me, will that make it download my emails to my computer? I don't want to do that. So how do I make it NOT do that, like you did on your computer?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7378212

BC,

there should be something to "Check" to NOT download. Thunderbird has that... my son has Vista... lemme see if i can do a walk thru and find it.

Terese
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7378262

I did see an option that said, "Do not download at this time." I didn't know what that meant at the time. So let me try to set it up again and see if it works. Thanks so much, Terese!!

NancyAnn

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #7378330

no problem NancyAnn.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America