Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Gardening with a Silver lining!: Wow, a memory....

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening with a Silver lining!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening with a Silver lining!Replies: 6, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #7376103

What an interesting and very fine article. It reminded me of a practice that I had forgotten. There was a distant relative who had a lovely garden, both flowers and vegetables. I remember it well. But she was the odd one in the family and most of the members of my parents' generation thought she was very strange because every silver coin she had, she buried beneath a prized plant. Youngsters, knowing this, would often sneak into her garden trying to dig up her hidden wealth. We lived far enough away from her that I only ever saw her gardens when we visited in the summer. I didn't really know her very well, and since she was my grandparents age, I never knew her after I grew up.

Now with your info I wonder...

Thank you for a very good article and the memory jolt. I have no clue what happened to all her coins, or if even that was just a rumor.
Sharon
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 17, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #7377960

Sharon,

Thanks so much for the compliments, and I'm thrilled that my article was able to remind you of a memory you have not yet written about! Your account is fascinating and leaves me wondering if plants would benefit from a silver coin included in the potting mix (reference potted plants). If it worked for keeping milk from spoiling, perhaps it would do something good in a pot of soil too.

LariAnn
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #7378159

I've been wondering the same most of the day.
Interesting thought, isn't it?
size123
Deland, FL

December 21, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #7387289

Fascinating, I will pass it on. Thank you.
thatswho
Endicott, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7387910

A fascinating article! We had a blight in our area last summer. The story in the news was that some plants from a big box store were carrying the same strain that caused the great Irish potato famine, and lots of people lost their tomatoes. Might treatment with colloidal silver have killed this organism?
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 21, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7388051

Had my tomatoes become infected, I would have tried it for sure! I am confident that it would have been efficacious against the blight.
thatswho
Endicott, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7399512

Thanks for answering - I've saved your article, and I'll pass it on. (with credits, of course.)

This message was edited Dec 26, 2009 11:47 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening with a Silver lining! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
thanks IRFAN_LODHI 1 Dec 21, 2009 6:04 PM
unique KanapahaLEW 3 Dec 24, 2009 9:18 PM
What a Scientist! Tall_Shadow 1 Dec 21, 2009 6:07 PM
10 ppm silver wormfood 3 Dec 22, 2009 7:15 PM
What to look for . . . LariAnn 0 Dec 22, 2009 6:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America