Please Help Me!!!!

Ok,I'm female & know nothing about cars or trucks except putting gas in.
A light on the (truck) dashboard lite up last night saying toll/haul.
What in the world does this mean? Am I in for some major repairs?
Should I not drive it at all? This is my only transportion.
Thanks for any infomation.

North Augusta, ON

I googled it and can't find a thing. Maybe just a quick phone call to a dealer?
I mostly ignore the warning lights in my car.

South of Winnipeg, MB(Zone 3a)

That would probably be a tow/haul light indicator. Until someone who knows something comes along, these are things that come to mind. Can have something to do with your transmission, but if you have been running good, probably not. Hope you have somewhere that you trust and can get your codes read properly. Maybe just a sensor. Have you had a trailer connected recently? (Check the plug thingy.)

Sure hope it's something easy, and again, let it be known, I know nothing.

No, hauling or pulling anything, wouldn't know how or try.
I googled too & can't find a thing. I wanted to see if anyone here knew what it could be before I even call a dealer, I just don't trust these around here. When they see a woman coming in, you can see the dollar marks in their eyes. I have got ripped off so many times,it's not funny.If I knew something about this first; so I won't be going into this blind.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Make model year?

(kind of need this information first to be of any use to ya)

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

It could be a wire has come loose in the connection to the tow/haul switch. I googled for a solution and the suggestion was made to disconnect and then reconnect the battery to reset the vehicle's computer. Then the tow/haul light should not come on again unless you push the tow/haul button. http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3426515-tow_haul_light_2000_tahoe_will_not_turn I'm not a mechanic, and the problem could be lots of other things. However, I would not think there is any reason you can not drive the truck if things like engine temperature and oil pressure look normal. In tow/haul mode the truck thinks it's towing something and modifies its shifting a little to improve acceleration while pulling a load. I sometimes forget to engage the tow/haul or trailering mode when pulling a cattle trailer, and I really can't tell any difference in our Chevrolet truck.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Get on the phone and locate your nearest auto parts store. Call and ask if they can pull codes on your model vehicle. Also ask if they charge for that service. Around here, the chain that can read the codes is Auto Zone. They do not charge for that service and can tell you what the heck is going on. From that point, you should be able to decide what the next step is. Good luck!

This message was edited Dec 20, 2009 5:54 PM

In thinking about this, I believe Patrob hit on it. There is probably a switch that you accidently bumped that turned on the tow/haul feature. The light is letting you know you are in that setting. That feature probably allows the transmission to run in a different mode. If you can tell us the model of your vehicle, perhaps someone will know where the switch may be located. If I had to guess, probably on the gear shift lever. Please do let us know what you find out... pod

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

That's what I thought, too, but without a model, it'll be awful hard to tell 'em how to turn it off.

Mine has it, and BF's has it too. But in different spots on the truck dash to turn off.

Don't you know I'd panic if I saw something that screamed TOW at me. I'd think I needed to park it and call a wrecker service. LOL

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

LOL
I'd get out the book & start reading... .

Or like a friend of mine (now deceased) but we'd be going down the road and her beater car would start making a new noise and she would say... "Hmmm? Wonder what that noise (or light) is? Oh well, it's still running." I said lots of silent prayers that we would arrive at the desired destination.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

ooooh...

that never good

that NEVER good.

Light has not come on again & drives ok.
I think everything is ok-like you said maybe I bumped something.
Thanks.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Maybe you ought should figure out what it is to prevent a future panic attack.. .

=) I'm just sayin'.... *giggle*

duck & run, duck & run.

-J

marathon county, WI(Zone 4a)

just saw the post so i thought i would chime in. It sounds like what happened is you shut off the overdrive. My Ram has a button on the end of the shifter lever on the column to turn it on and off. Not sure where the Button would be on your truck, but it there should be a listing of all the warning lights and buttons/switches in your owners manual. All it does is shut your overdrive off. It is a good way to lower your gas mileage, but other than that it shouldnt cause any damage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.