Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
larrykat
Slidell, LA

December 17, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #7377950

have rooted a few by cuttings in the later part of summer, but lost a few cuttings also. i am trying by seed today, but some of the seeds are dried up like a prune. do have some seeds that are pretty sturdy almost like a popcorn seed. does anyone recommend anything special to do for seed before i plant them?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2009
10:54 AM

Post #7387206

Larry there are several vines called butterfly vine...which one do you have?
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7393030

Is this what you are talking about:

Mascagnia macroptera aka orchid vine aka yellow butterfly vine.

Here is how one of our DG VERY informed members does it:

Seed germination can be tricky. I have had best results NOT presoaking the seeds. They draw up water too readily, and will rot easily, if pre-soaked.

I usually start with moistened soil-less mix, and then squeeze it as hard as I can, to get all the water out. The moisture that is left in the soil-less mix, is now just right (barely moist and a bit on the dry side).

Put the soil-less mix in a container with seeds, and cover. Remove and sow, as they germinate. Germination is erratic. Seeds may germinate at different intervals over a period of about a month. Some may germinate in as little as one week, and others may take up to a month.

I have also successfully Propagated this by layering. Layering is actually the fastest and easiest way to propagate this vine.

Please keep us posted on your success!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America