Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

butterfly vines and their propagation

Slidell, LA

have rooted a few by cuttings in the later part of summer, but lost a few cuttings also. i am trying by seed today, but some of the seeds are dried up like a prune. do have some seeds that are pretty sturdy almost like a popcorn seed. does anyone recommend anything special to do for seed before i plant them?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Larry there are several vines called butterfly vine...which one do you have?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Is this what you are talking about:

Mascagnia macroptera aka orchid vine aka yellow butterfly vine.

Here is how one of our DG VERY informed members does it:

Seed germination can be tricky. I have had best results NOT presoaking the seeds. They draw up water too readily, and will rot easily, if pre-soaked.

I usually start with moistened soil-less mix, and then squeeze it as hard as I can, to get all the water out. The moisture that is left in the soil-less mix, is now just right (barely moist and a bit on the dry side).

Put the soil-less mix in a container with seeds, and cover. Remove and sow, as they germinate. Germination is erratic. Seeds may germinate at different intervals over a period of about a month. Some may germinate in as little as one week, and others may take up to a month.

I have also successfully Propagated this by layering. Layering is actually the fastest and easiest way to propagate this vine.

Please keep us posted on your success!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.