Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

butterfly vines and their propagation

Slidell, LA

have rooted a few by cuttings in the later part of summer, but lost a few cuttings also. i am trying by seed today, but some of the seeds are dried up like a prune. do have some seeds that are pretty sturdy almost like a popcorn seed. does anyone recommend anything special to do for seed before i plant them?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Larry there are several vines called butterfly vine...which one do you have?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Is this what you are talking about:

Mascagnia macroptera aka orchid vine aka yellow butterfly vine.

Here is how one of our DG VERY informed members does it:

Seed germination can be tricky. I have had best results NOT presoaking the seeds. They draw up water too readily, and will rot easily, if pre-soaked.

I usually start with moistened soil-less mix, and then squeeze it as hard as I can, to get all the water out. The moisture that is left in the soil-less mix, is now just right (barely moist and a bit on the dry side).

Put the soil-less mix in a container with seeds, and cover. Remove and sow, as they germinate. Germination is erratic. Seeds may germinate at different intervals over a period of about a month. Some may germinate in as little as one week, and others may take up to a month.

I have also successfully Propagated this by layering. Layering is actually the fastest and easiest way to propagate this vine.

Please keep us posted on your success!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.