Very simple, inexpensive, homemade detergent

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

As soon as I can, I'm going to try these recipes.

POWDERED LAUNDRY DETERGENT:
(Each batch yields 32 ounces/64 loads using 1 T. per load)

* 2 4.5 oz. bars of bar soap--shaved/grated
(Ivory, ZOTE, Fels-Naptha, or whatever you like)
* 1 cup of borax (20 Mule Team)
* 1 cup of washing soda (Arm & Hammer)

Thoroughly stir together for 5 minutes and enjoy the results!

(found at: http://www.debtfreeadventure.com/simple-easy-fast-effective-jabs-homemade-laundry-detergent/ )

and

SLIMY GELATINOUS (aka: liquid) LAUNDRY SOAP:
(I've adjusted the recipe to make enough for 64 loads)

* 1 1/3 4.5 oz. bars of bar soap (6 oz.)--shaved/grated
(Ivory, ZOTE, Fels-Naptha, or whatever you like)
* 5 1/3 cups water
* 1 1/3 cup of washing soda (Arm & Hammer)
* 2/3 cup of borax (20 Mule Team)
* 4 gallons water
(5 gallon bucket w/ lid)

This makes enough for 64 loads, using a little over 8 oz. per load.
(The instructions are found at: http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/03/15/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-detergent-and-save-big-money/ )

So, I would think that you can tweak the recipe to suit your preferences within the range of:

6 - 9 oz. of bar soap
1 - 1 1/3 cups washing soda
2/3 - 1 cup borax (stain fighter)

(and 4 1/3 gallons of water for gel detergent)

If you like, you can add a little fragrance oil of the type used in soaps.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks for these recipes. I've been saving my old detergent bottles so I can start making my own. I hit a big charity sale and got lots of ivory soap, 10 bars for $1. And I have a box of borax. I just have to get around to doing it.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I've made both. I prefer the powdered. I also use vinegar for a laundry rinse and then... the empty jugs will work for wintersowing. For the soap, I've used Zote.

The liquid gel sets up and is hard to pour. You might consider storing it in something like a large margarine tub where you can scoop it out.

There have been three or four long threads on this and I will search the links if you are interested.

www.soapsgonebuy.com
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/35195/ Homemade laundry soaps ~ the original thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/449622/ Homemade laundry soaps ~ part II
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/540316/ Homemade laundry soaps ~ part III

There is some informative information in these links if you have some time to read thru them.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info and links! I think I'll just do the powdered then, and I'll check out the links when I have a little time.

(I did a search first, so I wouldn't be covering old ground. I didn't find the previous threads--sorry for the repeat!)

No way! Good info is always interesting and will snag new participants too. Old ground is always good. Not to worry! pod

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I also use my own all purpose cleaner,window cleaner,wood cleaner and air freshner.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Viola, are they really better and cheaper than the $1 store cleaners? I haven't tried any yet since it's so easy to buy my $1 cleaners. And I just love the Awesome that the Dollar Tree sells. It cuts grease and sticker residue and even removes Turmeric stains and strawberry stains on my kitchen counters--all for $1 a bottle. How do you make your cleaners? And do you make any that is antibacterial for kitchen counters and appliances? Maybe greenthumb won't mind if you post them here?

NancyAnn

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't mind Viola posting here, but wouldn't it be less confusing to have a separate post?

Viola--what is the name of the sticker remover you get at Dollar Tree? I SO need some of that!!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Greenthumb, if you're talking about the Awesome that I get at the Dollar Tree, it removes some sticker residue. Acetone (which is in most nail polish remover) will also do it.

The cleaner from Dollar Tree is sometimes called Awesome and once in a while they change it to Amazing. It is still the same thing and it's wonderful, powerful stuff. I use it for almost everything. It even gets ink stains out of clothing. Once in a while, I see it at Dollar General. I'm so afraid Dollar Tree will stop carrying it that I've stocked up. I even use it for mopping my floors since it cuts grease and stains.

NancyAnn

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I will start a new thread later and add some of the recipes.
I won't say they work better but most work just as well. I usually add some tea tree EO for an antibacterial effect.Has a bit of initial cost but lasts a long time.
As a rule they are less expensive.I make mine in larger quantities.But they are definitely better for the environment which I see as an added benefit.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for letting me know!

North Port, FL(Zone 9b)

green76thumb, WD-40 is also very good for removing stickers.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks FoS! I may even have some WD-40 on hand!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Using the link to the simpledollar website I found a recipe for homemade dishwasher soap! Now that will be a savings!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images