Crappie_Specks

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

any one catching any?? Paul

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

I havn't started yet I have some in the freezer from last year but in January Look out I will be all over them. I am a crappie fisherman I usually put 50 to 60 lbs of fillets in the freezer every spring. Then I stop because I don't like warm water fish too wormy and muddy tasteing. Specks for me are a different story I plan to work harder this year to get some. What way do you fish for crappie I troll or drift deep in Jan and feb. Then during the spawn I jig the lillies and the brush. To me the most fun fish to catch! They spawn right out in front of my house I just walk up and down the shore witha jig. My shore looks like dodo because I keep so much brush in the water all the branches I trim go into the water I call it crappie stopper. Some people are catching them now I just don't have the time what with deer season right now.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

look here Crappie.com

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

I cought 17 drift fishing the other day I was still catching them when I quit I was headed for a limit but I quit about 11:00 am I don't like cleaning that many. And its spring I have tons of work to do I'll go back out Mon or Tues. I am fishing in about 14 to 20 foot of water and fishing about 6 foot deep with a double jig rig on 4 poles off the front of the boat.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ive been geting a lot of the banks with minows paul

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

Ours havn't started spawning yet I test the waters every day its getting close because the water temp is about 68 they start around 72. I have about 350 foot of shore line here and every spring I put branches in the water along the shore it looks like crap but thats where the fish hang out while spawning. I also have a little plastic pontoon boat with a trolling motor that I use to hit all the shore around here. I mostly use jigs once you learn the right way to work a jig its fun and you don't get hung up as much a minnow will head for cover as soon as you put him in the water.I use a tube jig usually black and bright green drop it straight into a hole in the brush about a couple inches off the bottom and just hold still for about a 20 count all you feel is one tug and then you pick straight up. If you don't get a hit you move it sideways around then still again. Its crazy fun and I catch twice the fish I used to with minnows. We have a lot of lilly pad in the cove out front and they hang out in there too as well as the bass and High fin blue catfish I keep them all I love fish. I am taking my brother in law and his grandson out today I'll let you know how we did....Ron

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.