Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Speeding up a sleepy bulb

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 6, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7381480

I bought several amaryllis bulbs for gifts on the recent coop. There are a couple that seem to have stopped growing. They are on a heating mat. They don't get much water as I'm paranoid about rotting. They got a mild seedling fertilizer with their first watering when I potted them. Do they just need more water, more fertilizer, words of encouragement?

Here are 2- Red Peacock on the right, Estella on the left. There are also 2 Lemon Lime that seem to have stagnated. The other Red Peacock I have is huge and should bloom next week.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bsharf
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2009
10:06 AM

Post #7381720

Be patient. Some are just slow to wake up.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #7382586

Ack! Guess I'll just have to keep those and give away something in bloom ^_^
Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7393612

I have an amaryllis I bought recently and after 3 or 4 weeks it has a flower bud emerging. I think they spend the early days/weeks growing roots. It must take an incredible amount of energy to produce such an exotic flower stem so I am happy to wait :)
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

January 9, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7443526

I have found that you need to give them water for the blooms to come. If you leave them dry they just sit there and wait for water. You can actually time the blooms. It takes. three weeks from bud to flower for me. I had mine blooming beautifully for the month of December. Some are on their fourth blooming stalk or scape???? I just got them this year. I have three in the garden outside that do not bloom well for me and I now believe the fact that I do not water that area of the yard is why I get no blooms except when the rains come right for them.shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7444798

Ok, I'm off to get the watering can! I have watered a bit more especially since my central heating is on high! The flower stem is now about 6 inches high.
Carter
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7457729

You don't want to keep them wet, but too dry will slow down growth - as you've noticed... :) Let them get slightly dry between waterings. When the top soil gets dry down about 2cm or so, give'em some more water. And on a heat mat, they'll need water more often as #1, they'll be using more water since they'll be growing a little faster, and #2, the warmth will make the water evaporate faster.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America