Hydrocyst on white tail deer

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have 16 acres - prime deer habit. I've lived here almost 30 years and I have never seen anything like I did yesterday.

From looking online, I am guessing that the deer has a hydrocyst. She was pitiful. It was mid afternoon, and after calling the ODNR and finding out that the deer would have to be put down by legal hunting... not "mercy" killing.... I called a neighbor that hunts, as I know he works from home. He came over, but by the time he got here with his crossbow, the deer had wandered off enough that he could not see her.

She stood in the same spot, out in an opening of my woods near my pond for an hour.

I will attach a pic - this pic did not come out well. I was taking it from my kitchen window, perhaps 450 feet away.

In this first pic I will show the deer, and the second pic I will show where I outlined the growth so you can tell more what I am talking about.

Today starts the 2nd gun season - two days. I hope my regular deer hunter can see this poor thing, and end her suffering. The neighbor said he would spread the word about her.

Here is a link to a page that tells about hydrocyst. I don't think it can be anything else. The one we saw, the cyst was big enough it very nearly drug the ground, and it was mainly hanging between her front legs and a little farther back.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26655--,00.html

Just thought you all might be interested.

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

with outline

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

The poor thing I am a deer hunter and have a deer problem in my yard but I can't stand to see anything like that. People get cysts also and its a good thing we can just have them removed. But an animal in the wild just has to adapt to the situation. Great picture and good info Thanks

Mentor, OH

I had a deer in my garden two years ago with a growth similar to this. This growth hung between the hind legs and was a pinkish color and about the size of a soccor ball. The deer walked awkwardly with its' rear legs spread out. A neighbor said that a deer had jumped his fence and broken a sharp piece off the top. Someone suggested it may have been the udders full of milk, but it was much too late in the year to be nursing fawns. She was seen months later and appeared to be healthy otherwise.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We never saw her again, and I have asked neighbors who hunt - they did not see her either.

Guess I will never know what happened to her.

So strange they can get a huge thing like this from a "minor" injury.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.