Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cover seeds or not cover?

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I am getting ready to start to WS. But I have a question that I could use some help with.
I am going to start quite a few perennials.(hopefully) and some annuals too.But what I need to know is if there is someplace that can tell me which need light to germinate and which need to be covered.I have found some info but I have to skip all over the web to find it.I was wondering if anyone knows of a place where I can find this info listed together.
Thanks, Viola

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Viola... I did a quick search, not yielding too much... one place i read... If it sows freely [as in falls of the plant to reseed] it would need light.

but then i did find this.... scroll all the way to the bottom.

where you see the L that would be for Light.... if you look farther over at seed depth, there is the L for light and S for surface.

hope this helps... I'll be bookmarking it too.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm1.html

Terese

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks.I'm going there now to check it out.

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

This is the best resource I've seen thus far!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yes -- i've always enjoyed the "Backyard Gardener" but never fully explored the site... until today.

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Wow! what an excellent resource! I have been struggling with seed germination for a very long time. I thought it was just my inexperience shining through. LoL I knew certain seeds required scarification or stratification but I really minimized the importance of how deep I planted seeds. Until reading this article I didn't realized why I could never get some seeds to germinate!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm getting more confused the more information I read so I won't get confused. How do you know what plant is hardy, half hardy, etc.? Wished there was a master list that told you when to start WS of specific seeds/flowers. If there a list that I don't know about for specific Zones?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Pippi... that link i posted above, to the Backyard Gardener... they list what seed is what... and if you are confused on one, just ask.

I know PlantFiles lists them and PF lists the hardiness zones also.

and if you are ever doign a google on a particular seed/plant... in the search box, just type what you are looking for,
say Bronze Fennel [just cuz i've typed that a few times today] and add daves garden into the search, and the link to PF will come up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.