-
AuthorContent
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #7383430

I'm not really sure how to word this but I will try my best. I have been starting seeds and selling starter plants for a few years, but my business is growing (and shipping maybe unavoidable) so I want to know if there is a more efficient/cost effective way to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What I have done in the past is start 2-3 seeds (eggplant, peppers and tomatoes) in peat pellets in a dome then under lights. When they get larger I pot them up into 4" pots. All along I fertilize with a light fertilizer 6-12-6 to promote good root production. When the plants are ready to go out mid-late March they are stocky and look great.

I have gotten on a website that supports local growing and I have noticed that some of the other growers (not local) offer seedlings in plug trays. This greatly reduces shipping cost (less soil) and the plants are in the same container they were started in (no re-potting on my end) so less labor.
However, I'm concerned that the plant's root structure may be compromised and the seedlings will not be as robust and healthy.
I would love to hear everyones opinion, it was so different when it was only 100 plants but I want to do this right and give my clients the quality plants they deserve and expect.
Thanks,
Lisa
terrible picture I'm better with dirt I got the camera on a setting then couldn't get it off

Thumbnail by 1lisac
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Market Growers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sat., June 21 Markets CountryGardens 40 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 AM
Odor-free Bone Meal? Will wildlife still uproot plants? PlanterRik 8 Jun 24, 2009 2:31 PM
Question on growing food for sale (organic) hczone6 28 Oct 1, 2007 7:52 PM
water melons,cantaloupes CricketsGarden 8 Sep 1, 2007 8:39 PM
Backyard nursery TXSWETIE 183 Jul 2, 2007 9:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America