Mint tins

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

I have an abundant supply of those little rectangle mint tins. My husband eats them at work and brings me the tins.
Does anyone have any great suggestions on what to do with them. I did make one into a little gift box that I covered with some fabric and cross stitch but I am open to suggestions.

Lebanon, OR

with your great ability with beading why not try a beaded one

D

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Hummmmm.... I may just do that after I finish beading my buffalo gourd. hehehehehe that will only be another year or so.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

You must have great eyes and great patients,BEAUTIFUL WORK,I bought some ink want to ink an apple gourd,we wil lsee how it works out.

Dahlonega, GA

Don't laugh , but I use them for cigarette packs.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I did decoupage on one many years ago- it turned out pretty cute. Nowadays my husband snatches them all up to store the game tokens for his millions of board games.

Pacific Grove, CA

I save them to give to Kindergarten class. The teacher lets the children decorate them to put "treasures" in for Valentine's day.

Crozet, VA

I cannot allow myself to throw away tin for some reason. Being raised by depression era parents may have something to do with it. I have a collection of tins in all shapes and sizes, so would love to hear more ideas if anyoone has more. So far, the decoupage sounds as though might be where I will start.

Thanks for starting the topic gourdbeader.

Ruby

Plano, TX

i posted on a different thread asking for ideas to use for little tins--mine are cute little green rectangular and would hold maybe a half cup or less of something-they have a nice tight lid--i got them from buying loose teas
anyhow-------------i still haven't used mine so i will see if i get ideas here too rubyw

my only idea was to make some spice mixes (chili?) and give as a little gift --or a cocao mix with a layer of tiny marshmellows and crushed candy cane--just dump and add hot water

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Glad you all stirred the pot again. Maybe we will get some new ideas from others out there.
I was thinking of having a little swap with recylced stuff.
This is something I made from one of those old oil diffuser bottles.
I really spent alot of time on this one as I did some pine needle weaving around it and added a mushroom shaped top. The top can still be removed and use to put fresh flowers in.

But don't you think it would be fun to do a "Recycle Swap With a Passion."
It could be done with a nice tin or something else that would be worth recycling.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Plano, TX

i always thought it would be fun to all start out with the same common household item/items---then have a few ground rules--maybe that the items decided on should be the main focus and visible ---anything added on must be common household item--

and then see what each person does with it---it would be fun to find how we would each come up with something different

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

That would be okay if we didn't have to send it. Reason for this is that some may not be as easily mailed as others and some may not appreciate their swap gift. I have done that and found that too many were not appreciated by others. If we did it for fun and for ourselves I think it would be fun just to share with each other what we came up with. Just a thought.

Crozet, VA

That is the shame of things that start out being fun. Often times one complainer can ruin things for many it seems. I did some of the mail items types of things when I first began coming to Daves. Somehow due to complainers, it lost its appeal to me and it has now been years since I have participated.

Yes, if someone can come up with an idea of an item we all might have at our homes, we each do out own decorating of object and have a deadline maybe to report in with pictures if possible of what we came up with.

I know that one of my favorite round robin types of trades was a rooting jar one. It shouldn't be too hard for each of us to find some sort of interesting glass jar and do some sort of decoration with it. The jar I received in the trade had a string of blue beads with a small bell added to the neck of the jar. Really cute idea. Not sure where the jar went but I still have the beads around the neck of another rooting jar.

I might still be interested in doing something with some of the tins I have collected too and am sort of thinking along the lines of decoupage. Not sure if I can find it or not, but some years back I had a large hat box full of elephant pictures that I was using on a decoupage project that I was working on, but never completed. Will have to go hunting for it.

Ruby

Plano, TX

i think i would prefer to not trade them--i love getting something in the mail-and sending something out -but--------
in this case i think it would be stifle our creativity because we would be trying to please the other rather than just going for something without any worry about that

Crozet, VA

Oh, I agree Linda. I am looking forward to begin using some of the tins I have saved for several years now. I understood you to say earlier that we would work on our own tins and not do a mail exchange. I was just saying how much fun it is to be involved with other folks, whether things are exchanged, or we work on our own item and just have a place such as this to come and tell about it.

To tell the truth I am majorly involved in de-cluttering my household and haven't finished everything I have hoped to get to yet. Not sure when I will feel satisfied enough with this project to move on to something else yet. I will play by ear and see what others here plan to do.

Can't wait to hear what others are planning to do. If I do in fact plan to use some of the elephant cut outs I did some years back, it will require first of all finding the hat box where they are stored. I think they are in our outside storage shed which will be icy cold these days. If hubby or son won't go and try to find them for me, it may possibly be warmer weather before I begin an art project anyway.

Hope that everyone is having a good week.

Ruby

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Heheh Ruby, that is one of my problems too. Locating the materials that I plan to use. My room is small but I is full and I have lots of cubby holes and boxes and places to look in.
I will come up with a theme and see if we can get something going after the holidays.
Jan

Southern California, CA

Today is 1-1-11.

Plano: I like the idea of not sending the item, keeping the item for ourselves, and posting photos for the group.

Gourdbead: everything you fashion is perfect. The mushroom is amazing.

Plano, TX

didn't think of that - 1-1-11
happy new year

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Okay everyone. This is a Valentine theme to decorate a mint tin that could be used as a Valentine gift that would hold maybe some nice little gift or some Valentine heart candies or just a nice little note to someone. The theme is Valentine the choice of decoration is yours but you must use a mint tin. If you need one ask a friend I am sure that someone has an extra one laying around. I have a huge plastic sack full of them thanks to my husband that brings them home to me. You can start now and they should be finished by Valentines day, February 14th so that you can, if you want, give it to someone. BUT!!!! be sure to take a picture and post it before you give it away.
Here are a couple ideas
Anyone interested in participating feel free to join in. Since there won't be any swapping or exchanging unless you want to that will be up to you.
If you do want to do a swap then sign up here and I will assign partners.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Wish I could remember the xstitch site that gives a pattern a month to stitch and put on the top of the tins, They can be made into trinket boxes and needle holders etc.
Also have you ever been to cross stitch 123?

Lavina

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

No, but I going there now, I will look for that site too with the CS tins.
Thanks for the info.

Southern California, CA

For a while, I thought of backing out of this project:Valentine Day mint tins. But, I hate myself when I do that. Anyway, I've finished my tin. The tin I decorated is nothing great, but at least it's done and I'm waiting for 2/14 to post a few pictures and to see yours.

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, I am running behind as I fell and hurt my wrist that I had surgery on a two years ago. The surgery involve fusing all the bones in the back of my hand and removing a bone from under the thumb. After the surgery my hand no longer bends backwards at all at the wrist. Well I fell backwards and caught myself by my left hand and wrist. AGONY!!! I thought I had broke it but I just did a major tweek job. SO....... my tin is running behind too. Hopefully I will have it done in time but there won't be any exchanging unless you want to do that, it is between you and who ever you are exchanging with. sorry to be such a walking or should I say Falling disaster waiting to happen.

Southern California, CA

Gourd: falling backward is not good. I broke both wrists doing that about 14 years ago. I didn't need surgery-just casts, so my fall was not as bad as your fall. I don't want an exchange. I thought the tin was an interesting project, though. Got the creative juices running.

Plano, TX

oh my--i feel so bad for both of you!! even if it was 14 years ago j222!
hang in there jan--they year will get better!

Southern California, CA

Happy Valentine's Day. This is a very tiny Altoids tin, 1 1/2" X 2 1/4". I cut burlap a little larger than needed and then pulled the string-edges until it was the size needed. Burlap is nice for projects like this! I cut a heart from heavy red paper and glued it to the burlap. I sewed the heart a little on the machine, but this was not necessary and I wouldn't sew again. I dabbed some glue on the frayed burlap edges while I was gluing the burlap to the tin. Then, I cut a piece of the heavy red paper into a strip 1" X 4" and glued that to the back of the tin. My thought was to have the tins "stand-up" and use for name place tags at the table for a birthday celebration. I wrote J'taime on mine but the birthday would have names. Then, I put a 100 dollar bill (neatly folded) into the tin and gave it to myself for Valentines Day. HA! OK, it was a 20 dollar bill. I stuck it in my purse and it now is my little "mad money" container.

Thumbnail by J2222
Southern California, CA

Here is a photo of the back strip so the tin does not fall over.

Thumbnail by J2222
Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Very cute J222
My wrists are doing better and I do believe that I will survive. Heheh.
I have been doing alot of needle punch which isn't really helping but I can't stand to sit and do nothing.

Southern California, CA

Happy to hear your wrist is recovering.
It's so hard to sit and do nothing.
I continue to have some swelling in my wrists even after 14 years, no pain, though, so I'm not complaining.

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh yes, I know the feeling. I wake up and go and put my hands and wrists in warm water just to ease the pain. I am on a pain control regime that includes 5 mgs of methadone a day. Yes, methadone. They use it in small dosage for pain control. I am going to have to change it though as it is not working like it use to. I have been on it for about a year now.

Southern California, CA

Gosh! you are having a hard time...and after 2 years, too. I only have swelling, no pain. At first after the casts came off, I used to fill the washing machine with warm water and soak my arms and do a few exercises (then I'd do the laundry). The warm water up to my elbows felt so good. A physical tx. told me paraffin baths were really soothing, but I didn't have the need after a while to invest in one. Maybe something like paraffin might help you?

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

they do feel awesome. I used them once at the PT's office but got to thinking how many people put their hands in the same paraffin and decided I didn't want to do it again. It would be worth while investing in one though.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

gourdbeader I do not know if the tins you posted are cross stitich or some other kind of embroidery but they are beautiful. Really they are great. Have you thought about selling them in the market or at craft shows. I bet you could get at least $20 each.
In regards to decoupaging I want to do this type of project with my Grandchildren next Christmas. I always have a project for them to do and next Christmas I will get some paper boxes - the stiff ones - for them to decoupage. But where do I get the pictures??? After reading this thread I realized that I should start collecting the pictures right now. One grand children is 5 and the oldest is 18. She might feel she is too old for projects but I do not think so. I always chose things they can all do.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

You can get your pictures out of magazines, wrapping paper, ANYTHING that has "paper" pictures you like. I'd love to see your work when you are done.

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

I collect those little tins too. I have made tiny shrines, I've covered them in polymer clay and decoupage as well. Currently I'm doing some with decoupage so I can fill them with a comfrey & lavender healing salve that I make. I'll post some pics when this batch is done. Beautiful work, yous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images