Trachelium - Devotion Series

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Anyone grow this? I have for the past 4 years, but it is difficult to find and expensive. I may try to start it from seed this year.

This is Blue Trachelium

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It seems to do better in pots than in the flowerbed. (one plant in the pot). Needs to be staked. The flowerheads flop over in the rain, so staking helps avoiding damage

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just ordered the seeds from stokes Seeds. 'Going to try Blue, Burgandy & Purple

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I tried them once. Direct sewed them into a flowerbed...poor germination and poor growth so maybe you have something there with growing them in pots. They'd make a great filler in arrangements in place of QAL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think they have to be started indoors in January for blooms early summer

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hmm, I've never heard of this. I just did a quick search and see that Park's has them, 10 seeds for $1.25. Expensive, but not outrageous - unless the germination is as poor as you guys say. I might give them a try. They're very pretty.

Was thinking of them for bouquets, but wondering if the described 12 to 14 inches would be tall enough.

Edited to say oops! I just noticed I was looking at the Passion mix, not Devotion. I guess I need to be a bit more thorough when I'm looking things up!

This message was edited Dec 30, 2009 2:28 PM

Calgary, Canada

Two out of ten seeds germinated in a south window. These are the Passion mix.
One plant is doing well---the other is struggling.
The germination rate might be better if they were started under lights.
Caroline zone 3 Calgary

Calgary, Canada

Trachelium is actually a half hardy perennial so we could save it like we do the pelargonium type geraniums.
It requires light and 21'C or 70'F to germinate.
It requires heat (above 18'C or 70'F) and long days of light in order to bloom.
It does not take freezing or temps below about 5'C or 40'F.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Caroline.

If you are on a Mac, you can press the option key and the number 0 to get the degree symbol.

Calgary, Canada

Thanks, Joanne.
It is -22 here! and with the windchill it is more like -32.
Time to seed begonias under lights-----can't wait to see things grow!
Caroline

PS: Happy New Year and the best of gardening to all of you in 2010.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

joannabanana,
That picture of your garden is just gorgeous!
I've never seen that plant before. Lovely.

Calgary, Canada

Trachelium is a popular Florist trade item in Europe where they grow it for cut flowers. The only place I have seen it here is in Joanne's garden.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Trachelium grow to perfection in northern California, near the coast. They need very little water and I have seen them seed themselves in the cracks of sidewalks - I think they like growing uncrowded. I saw one plant that had come up in a crack of a concrete retaining wall, didn't get any summer water and it was in full bloom.

Best temps for germination seems to be between 55-65*.

A lady down the street has some in her front flower border>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I was going through some old pictures and found a photo of Trachelium that I took at Longwood Gardens. I took pictures of plants that I thought I'd like to add to my garden some day. The pictures of it in Joannabanana's garden made me put it at the top of my list.

Thumbnail by pgt
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well, I got babies and they are TINY! I guess that's why they need to be started so early. I sowed Blue, Burgundy & Purple. Hopefully they do fine. It is a hard to find bedding plant here and the garden centers that have carried it have it big $6-$8+ per plant. It worked out to 30 cents per pelleted seed

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi all,
I love Trachelium too. I sowed the seeds last autume and they germinated terribly thick.(T_T)
Trachelium usually start to bloom in first year but if you want their best flowers ,you've got to wait for another year. That's what they are in my climate.
The seeds are extremely fine but they are so easy to germinate.

Is there anybody who wants my extra seeds of them ?
Five packs are available.

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Pretoria, South Africa

Tomtom, you have d-mail...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images