Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Using disposable aluminum pan ?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 7, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #7385694

I am cooking my newly discovered to-die-for *potato casserole for a crowd on the 26th. I will use 2 large disposable aluminun lasagna-type pans. Do you suggest I adjust the temp. or cooking time w/ this light cookware?

*whipping cream
sliced potatoes 1/8-1/4 "
kosher salt & fresh black pepper

Layer sliced potatoes in pan and season w/ salt n' pepper a bit ea. layer.
Cover w/ heavy cream, making sure all are covered.
Let sit room temp 20-30 min
Cook 275 to 325 degrees 1 - 1/1/2 hr or until fork tender. Longer cook time if the layers are many.
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 20, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #7385726

that sure is an easy "to die for recipe"!
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #7385799

I don't recall the dish that I was trying to replicate because it was about 200 years ago, but it was something my mother made that I really liked. I called her to ask how long to cook it and her response was "until its done." Probably the best and the most frustrating cooking advice I have ever gotten. "Fork tender" is the key here and use your best judgement. Don't be afraid to test and taste.

Using whipping cream I would go for lower temps and longer time to avoid burning. Especially if you don't know the actual temperature of your oven. Mine is off by about 25 degrees.
luv2wok
Dutchess Counnty, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7386143

Hello Anastatia,
Place the aluminum pans on a sheet pan before placing in the oven. This will help to avoid burning and also make removing the hot thin aluminum pan from the oven safer.
Did you receive the cookbook?
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7386385

yes Norma, the cookbook arrived yesterday. Thank you. I have books on my bedstand;
your 2 cook books & a theology book. I have it covered!
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #7390761

I have a friend that makes scalloped potatoes and ham and this is her recipe, with the addition of cubed ham and I believe a little diced onion. I could ask her how long she cooks her recipe, if you'd like?
Mike
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #7390949

That's is OK. I just wanted to know if cooking a large batch of potatoes in a light weight disposable alum. pan was practical thinking maybe they burn because of the thin aluminum. Or just cook as usual.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2010
12:28 AM

Post #7554731

i use them for turkeys to big ham they ae nice.. i used to have nice roaster but it left?? so why i use the throw away alum..and always worked very good.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America