Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cooking: Instructions for rib roast on a Traeger

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 5, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7386433

I am borrowing my brothers Traeger to cook 2 rib roasts. I need detailed instructions. My brother will tell me something very general and leave me anxious. I am doing one of the roasts for the group that likes a medium to medium rare--but my other guests like it rare. This time of yr rib roasts are $4 or less per lb. Help!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 21, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #7387807

Here is a link to their recipe.

http://www.traegergrills.com/share/recipes/prime_rib.cfm
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #7388325

Bubba, do you have a Traeger?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 21, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7388592

No, I don't. Sounds like an interesting concept, tho.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7388763

They are fabulous. $$$$$ and so I have our simple charcoal grill. But glad my bro has one!
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7389245

Hi Anastasia. I'm just across the river from you in St. Helens.

It's kind of hard to give specific instructions. It depends upon the size of the Prime Rib and your preferences, but I can give some general tips.

1. The Traeger is easy to use, but given the expense of those roasts, I'd do a "trial run" a couple of days before with a less expensive cut, just to become familiar with the Traeger itself, loading the pellets, etc. It will cook more quickly (think convection and you're close).

2. Have a good thermometer. We use an instant-read now, but we have used programmable thermometers also.

3. What we do with a prime rib is pretty simple. It's good to do this the night before so the flavors infuse the meat. I cut slits in the outer surface in stuff in good-sized slivers of peeled garlic. (Obviously, you have to like garlic. Otherwise skip it.) Then I mix sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I rub the prime rib with olive oil, the salt and pepper for a seasoning paste.

For a small prime rib (4 pounds) we do a high-heat roast (500 degrees) bone-side down for about 20 minutes. Then we turn down to smoke for about 75 minutes. Then we finish at 375 degrees until the roast reaches about 130 degrees. We let it rest about 20 minutes, at which point it should be about 136 degrees. But this is for us. We like our beef rare.

You could obviously skip the smoke and just do a conventional roast as you would in the oven. Cooking time, as I mentioned, is a bit faster.

The Traeger site is very helpful. In fact, I'm sure if you call with questions, they'll have the answers for anything you can't figure out.

Here are their instructions for Prime Rib with a salt crust. Don't use Morton's Kosher if you use this recipe. Use Diamond Crystal, which is pure salt. Speaking just for myself, I do NOT like Traeger's seasoning rubs. Way too loaded with salt and preservatives for me.

http://www.traegergrills.com/share/recipes/prime_rib.cfm

Also, on their site under the "Support" tab you'll find copies of the operating manual and tips for operation.

http://www.traegergrills.com/

I hope this helps. Enjoy,

Carol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America