Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: What is g.msn.com/USCON/1

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 2, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #7386833

Can someone please explain to me why g.msn.com/USCON/1 shows up on my computer sometimes when I log on. My antivirus software identifies it as a proxy setting. Being a computer neophyte, what should I do the next time if anything when this setting appears on my computer? Thanks in advance!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #7387249

When I enter that URL in my address bar it takes me to Dell.MSN.com.

According to IE on Proxy Servers:

Quoting:
What is a proxy server?
A proxy server is computer that functions as an intermediary between a web browser (such as Internet Explorer) and the Internet. Proxy servers help improve web performance by storing a copy of frequently used webpages. When a browser requests a webpage stored in the proxy server's collection (cache), it is provided by the proxy server, which is faster than going to the web. Proxy servers also help improve security by filtering out some web content and malicious software.

Proxy servers are used mostly by networks in organizations and companies. Typically, people connecting to the Internet from home will not use a proxy server.

You can disable a proxy server if you wish to by following the procedure for your browser.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7387496

Thank you HCM! It is a new dell computer and I just coulkdn't wrap my head around the definitions I googled last night about proxy servers. Merry Christmas!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America