Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Poinsettias- their initial care, and year after year: Poinsettia as a Landscape Plant

Communities > Forums > Article: Poinsettias- their initial care, and year after year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Poinsettias- their initial care, and year after yearReplies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NiGHTS
Los Gatos, CA

December 21, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #7386981

I've searched all around, and gotten a lot of conflicting information regarding growing Poinsettia outdoors. In different places, I've read that they're hardy to 60F, 50F, 45F, Zone11, and Zone9 (and that's a pretty broad range)...and I'm not sure who to believe.

I have seen people growing them in their yards in San Jose, CA, which is zone 9B. I'm in 9A, and wondering if they will work in my garden.

Also, does anyone have any tips on which varieties would be best for outdoor growing?

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7389591

they are super marginal in zone 9b.. cannot imagine they would survive 9a a single winter. I cannot grow them in my yard. They need super well draining soil and a position that allows they to have full sun all winter long (do not tolerate winter shade except in zones 10a and up).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Poinsettias- their initial care, and year after year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great! music2keep 9 Dec 17, 2012 4:50 AM
Caring for and growing poinsettias Chilko 1 Dec 17, 2012 2:44 PM
Wonderful soive2000 0 Dec 12, 2007 1:17 PM
Flower struture and cross pollination bajancaladium 2 Nov 26, 2008 12:52 PM
Poinsettia seeds MartyA 1 Nov 14, 2011 10:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America