Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: Virus questions

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 25, Views: 260
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7390362

I have Avast antivirus and had a virus and it removed it to the virus chest, Am I suppose to delete it from the virus chest now? Just wanted to check before I actually did that.

I also want to ask, which program do you think is better

Avg antivirus (free)
or the avast free antivirus program.

My son has avast and got a trojen horse and we couldn't get rid of the trojen horse with his avast and had to take it to a computer guy , Darren had to pay 50 to get that trojen horse removed from his computer. Can't afford to have that done every time he goes to a web site that puts a virus on his puter. he went to play an on line game and that's where he got the virus at. He plays alot of online games on his computer. This is the first time we've had trouble with virus's, he's been on thenet for a whole 2 weeks now. LOL Should be glad it didn't happen last week I guess.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7390408

Kathy,

Anyone on the internet with any antivirus software is still at risk for viruses/trojans. Some "geniuses" are always creating new ones that even the most reliable antivirus can't catch.

Free antivirus software is not as good as what you pay for. Why? Because usually the free ones don't have the manpower to keep on top of the viruses/trojans. Tinkering with the software is usually a hobby, whereas with programs like McAfee, a full-time staff is continually upgrading the software to try to stay ahead of these "infections".

Most of the time, if you get a trojan or virus, you can do an internet search that tells you how to remove it yourself, saving you $50. Usually it's a simple deletion process. Sometimes it's a little more involved, but usually it's something you can do in less time than it takes to drive the computer to a shop.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7390481

kathy_ann,

I'll echo what BC said about getting rid of a virus or any other 'nasty'.

I always google any 'term' that pops up in a scan that looks alarming.

and you can usually find a removal tool or instructions on to get rid of it, and always for free... though there are some, when you click the link, they want you to pay for it... but don't. Elimination is usually easy.

After using Norton's for 11 yrs, i now have all my computers on a "free" antivirus ... and so far so good. I'm just diligent with keeping them up to date, etc.

I think one of my kids, he has Vista, I"ve got AVG on his system. I think the rest of us have Glary Utilities, but we all have WinXP.

and I dont see anything wrong with 'emptying the chest' ... when ever I had some sort of an 'infection' I wanted every trace of it off my computer.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #7391534

Quoting:Free antivirus software is not as good as what you pay for. Why? Because usually the free ones don't have the manpower to keep on top of the viruses/trojans. Tinkering with the software is usually a hobby, whereas with programs like McAfee, a full-time staff is continually upgrading the software to try to stay ahead of these "infections".

I disagree 1000%.

I used AVG (free, for years). No viruses.
I switched two years ago to Avast! (also, free) and to this day... No viruses.

Trojans? Every once in a while. They're not viruses. That's why they slip by A/V software. There are more than one type of malware removal tool, because there are more than one type of malware. Just because it's malware, doesn't make it a "virus". =)

ALWIL Software is the maker of Avast! Antivirus. That's the free one. You might want to read http://www.avast.com/eng/company.html when you get a chance. Since 1988. Doesn't seem like a "hobby" to me. They seem pretty serious about it, and make one heckuva cross-platform, multi language, anti-virus package.

Why do people always have the "It must be better! It cost more!" mentality...

/rant =)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7391686

I've thought about switching from avast to avg I think I will do that now.

What about the virus's in the virus chest? can I just delete them?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7391693

kathy... i'd delete it.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #7391828

ahyup! =)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #7392132

Ok, thanks.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7404396

I was going to download the free AVG but when I downloaded it I would have to sign up for one of their offers like trial offers to be able to complete the installation. It says I have like several viruses but it did not show that on my other virus protection that I just uninstalled. Anyone have this problem with installing the free AVG I had the same problem with the AVANT

Sami
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #7404583

Sami, I just downloaded it yesterday. The first time I did it I also was told I had to purchase something for it to be effective. I thought, " if it's free why do I have to buy something?"

I went back to the web page and I had clicked on the wrong download. If you look closely at the download buttons on the right, it says " AD FEEDBACK " at the top.

I then clicked on the left side of the page right above the rating stars where it says, "download the latest version" and it went through without a hitch. Seems to be working fine.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #7404625

I downloaded it also with no other downloads, had no problems, and it works fabulous. Already caught another virus.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #7405699

thanks guys after about an hour of trying to get the found the right place to download it. I am going to use this temporary until I get to Best buy to buy me a good one. Just dont just

sami
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
7:18 AM

Post #7406093

I have been using AVG for several years and in the past month or so my computer has been acting wacko. Lately I picked up something I just couldn't live with. AVG wouldn't fix it.

I read this thread and downloaded AVAST. It was an instant fix plus it found several more.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #7406616

I too feel it's just as good as the store bought ones, My computer guy told me that norton and mcafee will Bogg down your computers and that this one is just as good as them. So I'm sticking to this one and saving myself some money
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

December 30, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #7409714

I had terrific problems with regular Norton and especially McAfee slowing my computer to a crawl. I've had none of those problems at all with Norton 360.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #7410017

I too have heard Norton 360 is better -- not such a resource hog
but I'm doing OK not paying $60 a year.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

December 31, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7413259

Not just better - no problems with slowdowns at all. And I didn't pay anywhere near $60 for it - just watch sites like buy.com, frys.com and amazon.com for hefty rebates. I'd rather spend the little I do spend on it than take a chance on a virus and having used them, I don't think the free programs are as good or as complete.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #7413400

I think I will check out some of the new ones. My daughter has one and she says it is working really good so I will check to see what hers is and might consider that. I really dont like Norton. I had some problems with it and decided I was not going to ujse it anymore. Will just stick with AVG for right now and see what is out

Sami
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #7413447

hart wrote:I don't think the free programs are as good or as complete.

Can you elaborate on "as complete"? What (antivirus-specific) features does 360 have, that Avast! doesn't?
Susie2
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7414340

Love Avast since I downloaded it. Deleted Norton as it had given me many problems with my previous pc.
Susie
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7414588

Antivirus appears to be the #1 hot-button issue on this forum. Many different opinions and
anecdotes, each one as valid as another. One thing which appears to be prevalent is the
lack of true comparisons. Comparing an 'antivirus' program with a 'full featured' program
will lead to the former being cheaper and faster than the latter. The question should be to
what degree you need protection and the cost in $ and pc resources you are willing to pay.
There are some professional testing facilities listed on the internet which give an unbiased
measure of the various programs.

I checked the cost of the internet security version of AVG and it was $54.99 + $9.95 for a
cd copy if you want one. The Pro Edition of Avast was $39.95 + $9.95 for a cd copy. I
would opt for the cd since it can be reinstalled easily if necessary.

Constantly scanning inbound and outbound data takes time and resources and will have
an effect on pc's shy on ram and/or connected to a relatively slow line. Anything less than
a T-1 speed (1.544 mbs) will have a tendency to choke with any of the full featured AV
programs. A standard dial-up line can legally vary from 19.2k to just under 56k and,
with 8 bits to the byte, you are lucky to have a transfer rate of 3 to 4k bytes. A resource
hog internet protection program can slow it further.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

January 1, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7416766

Here's what's included in Norton 360, Eggs.
http://www.symantec.com/norton360/about/compare_norton.jsp
Here's what's included in Avast.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
I like having a complete product that isn't just antivirus but includes the firewall, pfishing, etc. and the backup storage is a nice plus. What I really like is how unobtrusive the 360 is - it just does its thing in the background. And it never, ever slows things down.

I never thought I would have anything nice to say about Norton after my horrible experiences with Norton in the past but I think they got it right with this one after getting it very wrong with numerous versions of Norton Antivirus and the other antivirus suites.

Oldgardenrose, thank you for an excellent post that really targets the true issues. If you have a very old computer and/or dialup, you're going to have problems with any newer software that was designed for a computer with more memory and speed, not just antivirus.

Another issue that seldom gets addressed is that you have to do more than download a program and expect it to completely protect you from harm. You have to be proactive and not do stupid things like visit iffy sites, open email attachments without knowing exactly what they are, respond to pfishing emails and so on.

How many of us have friends who email cutesy junk emails to everyone they know? That's a good way to eventually end up with something bad downloaded onto your computer.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7416927

Thx hart. That's what I thought you meant, but just wanted to be sure. =)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7417197

hart --- i know i could just look this up... but how many computers can you use Norton's 360 on with one license?
I think i could use it on 3 before.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

January 2, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7420119

You can buy versions that are for just one computer or that can be used on three. I went ahead and got the premier edition when it was time to renew this year because I wanted the extra backup storage and with the rebates available then, it wasn't much more expensive. That includes three.

Or you can get the regular 3.0 for either one or three. Frankly, I don't see that much difference between 2.0 and 3.0 and you could really save money by buying the older version if you want to do that. Might want to compare features first in case there is something in the newer one that you really want.

Here's the various versions buy.com has. I didn't search for deals, just searched here because I knew they'd come up with a page with an assortment. So you might want to check the other software vendors or wait until someone has a good rebate offer.

http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearchresults.asp?store=2&querytype=soft&qu=norton 360&loc=105&qxt=soft&display=col

Hmmm, looks like Staples has instant coupons that get you 3.0, 3 users for $39.99 or Premier for $69.99. About the same as buy.com, maybe a bit cheaper on the regular 3.0.

http://www.staples.com/Norton-360-v3.0-(1-3-User)/product_784452?cm_mmc=online_msn-_-search-_-Symantec Co-Op - Exact-_-norton 360

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #7421245

thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America