Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Help! Fig and Marsala sauce

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 17, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7396076

So ... I have access to a case of Fig and Marsala sauce - what da heck can I do with all this goop? I bet it's lovely in a number of ways. Any recipes? Holp!!!
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

December 26, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #7399754

Hey, PC, that does sound good. Can you post the ingredients in the sauce so we can maybe surmise the flavor? I have to admit I've never come across this particular blend in a jar. I did find several recipes that use both figs and marsala so apparently they complement each other.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #7400319

Lemme see... Figs, sugar, lemon juice, marsala, apple vinegar. I can't think of anything other than spreading it on pork - ?
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

December 27, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7400453

For some reason, this popped into mind - and it sounds good to me. (But to each his own, lol.) As an appetizer, a small cracker or a square of dense sourdough topped with goat cheese and a dollop of the sauce in a depression in the cheese. (Is it thick?) Course, I could eat about anything with goat cheese. :-)
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

December 27, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7400461

Forgot to say, I love dark turkey meat. Maybe drop a couple of seared, salted, peppered fat turkey thighs in a heavy pan, pour the sauce over, cover and cook over low heat. Or in a slow oven. Whatta ya think?
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #7401705

Now, that sounds interesting ... I've been using my crock pot a lot lately, that would definitely be worth a try. Thanks!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #7405169

I would think it would be great as a glaze or sauce on lamb or duck, Sheryl. But if you have a case of it, that could get old pretty quickly. I'll bet it would also be tasty with croissants and chèvre à tartiner (spreadable goat cheese) for breakfast. Or just spread on toast of a morning, or as a sauce for waffles or pancakes. Or you could warm it and put it on ice cream; something very plain like vanilla.

I wish I had that problem; we love figs!!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7405358

Actually, this is kind of one of those kind of awful situations - it was given to a church to give away - you know, feed the homeless. Well, shoot - if I've never heard of it, I can see some poor homeless guy trying to figure it out... although admittedly, some of them would be better off with that than the 800 lbs of flour that was also donated. *sigh*

What I'd *really* like to be able to do is sell the stuff and buy something a little more practical, but some of the gals cook meals and maybe it can be used in that way. We'll turn our street folk in to gourmets, yet...

Oooo - fig ice cream. Doesn't that sound good?
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7405375

Hmmm---is it more sweet, or savory? I would try it as a pan sauce over chicken. Also sounds like it would pair well with goat cheese, as someone mentioned above. Maybe stuff a pork loin, lamb loin or leg of lamb with it (if it's thick enough)? Stir some into a lamb tagine? I think it sounds yummy!

If all else fails, post it on the marketplace. Surely there are enough people who would send you monetary donations in return :)
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7405456

I wonder if the church folks would let me do that.

It's kinda sweet, not highly flavorful, kind of like a jam.

LOL - I should have asked you in the first place, huh?
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

January 3, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7423142

PC, curiosity is getting the better of me. Have you tried the sauce yet?
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7424115

Sadly enough, only on a piece of toast. It has a slight ginger taste to it that I really like, without being cloyingly sweet. I'm hoping to find some pork loin tomorrow, or even some turkey legs...
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

January 4, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7426637

Ummmmm, can't wait to hear how it turns out. What's the brand on that sauce?
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7435314

I'll have to look ... it's definitely Italian...

Menu is the brand name.

So, chopped off 4 loin ...steaks? and browned them. Threw them in the slow cooker with 3/4 of the fig sauce, a little extra lemon juice and a pinch or two of cinnamon. We'll see what dinner brings!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7435547

Yum! Are we invited?
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7436014

Oh sure, c'mon over! I love company - we'll have a fire going, too.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

January 10, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7449820

OK, it's now the 10th. Are those chops *still* in the crockpot??
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
12:47 AM

Post #7449981

Ha! Ooops, sorry!!!!

No, they came out incredibly tender after 6 hours and really good. I can't say that it was necessarily better than using like an apple compote or something, but certainly a nice change. I think you could probably do something quite similar with apples, apple vinegar and a bit of sugar and cinnamon, but the figs made for a nice change.

Edited to add:

Now lets see if I can get the other promised jars to try it on other stuff - that took up all of the one jar.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2010 6:48 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America