Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: I added too much salt to my sausage mix.

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 4, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #7396382

OK, I have been trying to make sausage with my DH deer so I mixed the ground deer meat and mix it with fat from the pork to make it a little more tasty, the problem is the pork fat that I bought is the salted kind and I mixed it with the gound deer, unfortunately it made it too salty, I was wonering if there is any way to fix this problem, will adding more ground deer solve the problem or any other ground meat?
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7400268

OK I was able to fix it by putting more meat into the mix. Now if anybody has a suggestion on a good but not extremely expensive sausage stuffer, I have the kitchenaid one and it is horrible, it took me 1 hour to stuff 2 small sausages so I just gave up.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7407187

Carminator, we bought this grinder a few years ago and it also has a sausage stuffing attachment. We really like it for both purposes. It's much faster and better than the one I have for my ancient Mixmaster:

http://www.sillypugs.com/sb500.html

I noticed that a lot of places that make sausage from people's deer use a 60% deer/40% fatty pork mix. I buy pork ends or fatty butt to make mine.
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #7407613

Thank you greenhouse_gal, it is a good idea to buy pork ends, never thought of that, I just did mine with salted pork fat but will not do it again, too much fat and salt.

About the machine it looks very good but it is a little pricey, the problem is I have a fairly good grinder already, the kitchenaid one works very good at least for the amount of meat we grind which tends to only be when my DH gets a deer so I was hoping to just get a basic sausage stuffer, but everything I've seen online is just like the one you describe, the stuffer and the grinder all in one.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #7407643

I know, it's pricey, but I checked it out before I bought it and it got excellent reviews.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America