Photo by Melody

Article: Yarrow - a Star is Born!: Wow!

Communities > Forums > Article: Yarrow - a Star is Born!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Yarrow - a Star is Born!Replies: 12, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 26, 2009
6:37 AM

Post #7398818

I never knew there were so many yarrow varities ! Thanks for another great article and information!
Happy Holidays!
Adina
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7399165

Although I have 4 or 5 varieties of Yarrow already, your article stimulated me to go searching for more, and I found an interesting one you didn't mention...A.sibirica var. camtschatica 'Love Parade'. Now I just have to figure out how I can squeeze in three more plants...
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 26, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7399511

Another informative article Todd - thanks! Who'd have known there are some many types of yarrow? I especially like the newer red cultivars.

Cheers!
Joanne

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7399725

I love yarrow and would like to add more to my gardens. Don, I have 'Love Parade' and like it very much. What a nice plant it is. Thanks for the great article, Todd!

Karen
angele

December 26, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #7400197

One of the most carefree plants in my garden. Another plus besides how well it does is that several species of butterflies flock to it.
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

December 26, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #7400303

From my experience, I enjoy 'Paprika' yarrow for it's lovely color and how well it looks in a mixed flower border. Yarrow compliments daylilies nicely. I have not found this variety to be invasive at all for me in Pennsylvania. My large golden yarrows make a statement that I like. Thanks for the article. JK
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 27, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7400451

I had a lovely color of pink, the first year. Then each year since it has been white. I don't know what gives but I'm leaving it be. as it compliments my pond and it's many colorful lilies. I will have to look for some of the more colorful varieties for the other side of the pond.
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 27, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #7401753

Rand, I had a similar issue with Summer Pastels that I grew from seed. It started out with multicolored blooms, soft yellows and pinks, but in subsequent years the blooms were very faded, almost white. I'm sure Todd could say why...

Joanne
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 27, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7401786

Jo I was thinking that it may be the soil or something like that. or just reverting back to the wild. I don't know. But thanks, now I know I'm not the only one faced with that problem. I don't think of it as a "real" problem but rather a little let down.
Russ
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7401853

I think they are like the fancy lupines...they will revert over time. Prompt deadheading to prevent self-seeding will help keep the parent plant pure.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7401995

Thanks for that advice, Todd. I will try and keep that in mind with my yarrows.

Karen
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 28, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7402711

Thanks Todd; I will keep that in mind for the next one. I really though that this one keeps coming back from the root system but then I can't be sure either.
Russ
ottahand7
Monkton, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #7404565

Great article! Makes me think about summer! I bought a whole bunch of Fiesta from Bluestone 3 years ago when they had them on sale because I had a hill to fill in and no water to water whatever I planted there. At first I hated them. Before the plants get mature they only had one or 2 blooms per plant and the beautiful magenta turned muddy brown. I thought is this what I have to look forward to every summer? Once they started to fill in and spread I had tons of flowers in varying stages of pink and I just deadhead the spent ones to keep the hill looking lively. The foliage is also a nice dark green which makes a nice contrast. Now I love the plant!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Yarrow - a Star is Born! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great phicks 0 Dec 27, 2009 12:31 AM
Yarrows zone5dirt 3 Aug 20, 2010 6:01 PM
Love the new pink shades! Nineg 1 Aug 14, 2010 7:02 PM
Wonderful article! GardenSue777 0 Dec 28, 2009 9:36 PM
Yarrow dayflower 1 Dec 29, 2009 12:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America