Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: New Zealand Pink Pear Tomato Question

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 2, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seedsandsuch
Collegedale, TN

December 27, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #7402527

Hello;

Several years ago, I traded with another gardener for some New Zealand Pink Pear seeds. I was very happy with the trade and have been growing these for several years and have traded them with other gardeners but am now wondering if I have real New Zealand Pink Pear tomatoes! I have seen some photos posted on other websites that say they are NZ Pink Pear tomatoes but mine don't look like those.

These tomatoes have a pale pink outside color but the insides are a deep crimson red which is wonderful for making tomato products! The fruit is very dry and flesh is somewhat stringy when blanched. I have included a picture but it isn't the best representation of the fruit. The color is a little off.

I have grown many different types of pear tomatoes but none of them have this long slender shape or are as dry as this variety. It is clearly a paste tomato. The fruits are very long some of them were about 6 inches long and very slender with a small lump towards the bottom third of the fruit. They aren't the same size all the way down the fruit like Roma or other paste tomatoes. But they aren't short, and fat like other pear tomatoes.

Could someone tell me if I am growing true New Zealand Pink Pear tomatoes or some other variety? THanks so much for your assistance!
-Rachel

Thumbnail by seedsandsuch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 28, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7402959

The variety is usually called just New Zealand Pear ( no pink in the name) b'c it is pink so adding that would be redundant. ( smile)

Anyway, I read the descriptions of all those who list it in the 2009 SSE YEarbook and most say typical pear shape, one says like a Bartlett pear.

You said something about the flesh being red, but it should be. The flesh of both red and pink tomatoes is red, but the appearance of the fruits is dependent on the color of the epidermis, mainly, clear and it's pink, yellow and it's red.

One of the folks who lists it in the Yearbook also sells seeds so you might want to go to her website to see if she does list it and show a picture, and that's mariseeds.com

Oh, and most say a dark pink, not a pale pink as you said.

I didn't take the time to Google it and look at any pictures , I just read the reports of those who had grown it.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

seedsandsuch
Collegedale, TN

December 29, 2009
5:18 AM

Post #7405933

Thanks for your reply. I guess my biggest worry is the shape of these tomatoes. They are long and skinny with only a slight bulge at the bottom. Many of them look like long, fat fingers. And, as far as I know, pear tomatoes aren't supposed to be long and skinny. So, that is what has me worried! If anyone has grown these and can tell me if the shape of yours is like mine or not, I would appreciate it.

-Rachel

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America